Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-06-2014, 04:26 PM   #11
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921
Default Re: Ryan Clark: NFL players going to use pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers>NFL View Post
I think because it is considered the "gateway" drug. Especially with young people.
It is considered the first and start of drugs use of all kind. Including alcohol.
I think that is why it is not legal.
True. I have a friend who is an Allegheny county detective and he always says how he arrested hundreds of people because of drugs and every one admited to smoking weed at one time. Every heroin and crack head said they smoked weed at some point in life
Old 02-06-2014, 04:38 PM   #12
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

I've smoked weed off and on since I was 15 years old (more on than off), and I've never tried crack, cocaine, or heroin. The "gateway drug" thing is a crock of shit. It doesn't make you do other drugs. An addictive personality with no self control is what does it. Marijuana and alcohol are just a logical starting point for anyone with that mindset. Marijuana use equaling hard drug use makes about as much sense as video games and heavy metal music equaling spree murderers. It's a large logic fail and just plain silly.

I especially love the ones who badmouth pot while they hammer down liquor or beer. Who's to say that alcohol isn't the root of all drug evil? It IS a drug, you know?

I can't wait till the rest of the country comes to it's senses like Colorado and Washington and just legalizes it already. It's long overdue and could be a huge boon for the failing economy which we desperately need as well as aiding our overflowing prison and judicial systems. It also has many health and medicinal benefits for ill people (something alcohol cannot claim). The insanity needs to stop.

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Buddha Bus For This Useful Post:
43Hitman (02-07-2014), CNEW (02-06-2014), FrancoLambert (02-06-2014), harrison'samonster (02-06-2014), MasterOfPuppets (02-07-2014), SteelCityMom (02-06-2014), SteelersCanada (02-06-2014), steelfury02 (02-07-2014), SteelMusic (02-06-2014), vasteeler (02-06-2014), zcoop (02-06-2014)
Old 02-06-2014, 04:53 PM   #13
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,823 Times in 2,691 Posts

Quote:
I think because it is considered the "gateway" drug. Especially with young people.
It is considered the first and start of drugs use of all kind. Including alcohol.
It did not become illegal under federal law until the mid-1930s, long after the drugs such as cocaine and heroin to which marijuana is an alleged gateway had been banned under federal law (at the turn of the last century before the Progressives imposed the dead hand of government regulation upon the self-correcting free market many elixirs were laced with cocaine and you could get heroin with a doctor's prescription until the mid-20s)

Rather than use the "gateway drug" argument, the head of the federal bureau of narcotics at the time ran with these arguments

Traffic in marihuana is increasing to such an extent that it has come to the be cause for the greatest national concern. This drug is as old as civilization itself. Homer wrote about, as a drug that made men forget their homes, and that turned them into swine. In Persia, a thousand years before Christ, there was a religious and military order founded which was called the Assassins and they derived their name from the drug called hashish which is now known in this country as marihuana. They were noted for their acts of cruelty, and the word "assassin" very aptly describes the drug.
Hearing on H.R. 6385 (April 1937)

Here we have drug that is not like opium. Opium has all of the good of Dr. Jekyll and all the evil of Mr. Hyde. This drug is entirely the monster Hyde, the harmful effect of which cannot be measured. Some people will fly into a delirious rage, and they are temporarily irresponsible and may commit violent crimes. Other people will laugh uncontrollably. It is impossible to say what the effect will be on any individual. Those research men who have tried it have always been under control. They have always insisted upon that. … It is dangerous to the mind and body, and particularly dangerous to the criminal type, because it releases all of the inhibitions.
Hearing on H.R. 6385 (April 1937)

How many murders, suicides, robberies, criminal assaults, holdups, burglaries and deeds of maniacal insanity it causes each year, especially among the young, can only be conjectured...No one knows, when he places a marijuana cigarette to his lips, whether he will become a joyous reveller in a musical heaven, a mad insensate, a calm philosopher, or a murderer...
"Marijuana — Assassin of Youth" in The American Magazine, Vol. 24 (July 1937), p. 18

Most marijuana smokers are Negroes, Hispanics, jazz musicians, and entertainers. Their satanic music is driven by marijuana, and marijuana smoking by white women makes them want to seek sexual relations with Negroes, entertainers, and others. It is a drug that causes insanity, criminality, and death — the most violence-causing drug in the history of mankind.

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Harry_J._Anslinger

So by outlawing marijuana the gateway the feds wanted to close was the one that led to white women having sex with Negroes and jazz musicians
43Hitman (02-07-2014), Buddha Bus (02-06-2014), harrison'samonster (02-06-2014), SteelCityMom (02-06-2014), SteelersCanada (02-06-2014)
Old 02-06-2014, 04:55 PM   #14
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
True. I have a friend who is an Allegheny county detective and he always says how he arrested hundreds of people because of drugs and every one admited to smoking weed at one time. Every heroin and crack head said they smoked weed at some point in life
I bet they had beer as a teenager too
43Hitman (02-07-2014), Buddha Bus (02-06-2014), FrancoLambert (02-06-2014), harrison'samonster (02-06-2014), SteelCityMom (02-06-2014), SteelersCanada (02-06-2014), SteelMusic (02-06-2014), teegre (02-07-2014), tony hipchest (02-06-2014), vasteeler (02-06-2014), zcoop (02-06-2014)
Old 02-06-2014, 05:04 PM   #15
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
I bet they had beer as a teenager too
And probably induced mass amounts of candy as a kid as well.

BAN SWEETARTS BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!!!!

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buddha Bus For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-06-2014), SteelMusic (02-06-2014)
Old 02-06-2014, 05:13 PM   #16
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
Did not want my previous response to look like a cheap throwaway line

Scientists long ago abandoned the idea that marijuana causes users to try other drugs: as far back as 1999, in a report commissioned by Congress to look at the possible dangers of medical marijuana, the Institute of Medicine of the National Academy of Sciences wrote:

Patterns in progression of drug use from adolescence to adulthood are strikingly regular. Because it is the most widely used illicit drug, marijuana is predictably the first illicit drug most people encounter. Not surprisingly, most users of other illicit drugs have used marijuana first. In fact, most drug users begin with alcohol and nicotine before marijuana usually before they are of legal age.

http://healthland.time.com/2010/10/2...-will-not-die/
43Hitman (02-07-2014), Buddha Bus (02-06-2014), harrison'samonster (02-06-2014), SteelCityMom (02-06-2014)
Old 02-06-2014, 05:33 PM   #17
emarines
Team Captain

Member Number: 25461

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
Because ESPN is paying him good money to appear on about 4 shows every day since the season ended.
I know...im idiot enough to watch!!!!
emarines is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to emarines For This Useful Post:
Atlanta Dan (02-06-2014), harrison'samonster (02-06-2014)
Old 02-06-2014, 05:40 PM   #18
CNEW
Starter

Member Number: 25021
My Mood: Bored

Quote:
It's no more of a gateway drug than alcohol. Alcohol typically comes first.
CNEW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CNEW For This Useful Post:
Atlanta Dan (02-06-2014), Buddha Bus (02-06-2014), SteelCityMom (02-06-2014), teegre (02-07-2014), zcoop (02-06-2014)
Old 02-06-2014, 05:44 PM   #19
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by emarines View Post
I know...im idiot enough to watch!!!!
A lot of other folks apparently watch as well - season is over and ESPN still runs 2 hours of NFL talking heads every weekday afternoon
harrison'samonster (02-06-2014)
Old 02-06-2014, 05:59 PM   #20
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,143 Times in 3,919 Posts

The last time I got high I was in high school (no pun). I haven't for a few years now, but I never understood why it was such a big deal.

Also, who do ya guys think it is on the Steelers? I'm thinking Woodley. His munchies may have resulted in him being suited to play NT for us.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
43Hitman (02-07-2014), Buddha Bus (02-06-2014), harrison'samonster (02-06-2014), SteelCityMom (02-06-2014), steelfury02 (02-07-2014)