Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 02-07-2014, 09:58 AM   #1
SteelerEmpire
Team Owner

Member Number: 14355
Thanked 1,915 Times in 867 Posts
Default Rooney Wants Pittsburgh To Host Super Bowl

By Mark Belko / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Pittsburgh has hosted the World Series, AFC championship games, the NHL Winter Classic and the Stanley Cup finals, but never a Super Bowl. Steelers president Art Rooney II wants to see about changing that.

LINK: http://bleacherreport.com/tb/dcnla?u...burgh-steelers

A HOUSE DIVIDED WILL FALL TO IT'S ENEMIES;
BUT IN UNITY THERE ARE 6' SUPER BOWLS !!!
SteelerEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SteelerEmpire For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (02-07-2014), harrison'samonster (02-07-2014), Lady Steel (02-07-2014), MDSteel15 (02-07-2014)
Old 02-07-2014, 10:08 AM   #2
SteelerEmpire
Team Owner

Member Number: 14355
Thanked 1,915 Times in 867 Posts
Default Re: Rooney Wants Pittsburgh To Host Super Bowl

Quote:
Pittsburgh probably would need every bit of that 90 minutes to hit the mark, said Craig Davis, CEO of local tourism agency VisitPittsburgh. Some fans probably would end up in rooms in the Seven Springs area, Ohio or West Virginia.

In reality, the region probably would need more than 30,000 rooms because not every one of them could be committed to the game itself. Mr. Davis noted that the city may have to bring in boats to house some guests. New York used a cruise ship to house guests in this past Super Bowl and Miami and San Diego have done so in the past.
You mean those 1 hr "wham bam, thank you ma'am" rooms don't qualify ?

A HOUSE DIVIDED WILL FALL TO IT'S ENEMIES;
BUT IN UNITY THERE ARE 6' SUPER BOWLS !!!
SteelerEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelerEmpire For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-07-2014)
Old 02-07-2014, 10:12 AM   #3
NJarhead
BewbmeisterExtraordinaire
Supporter

Member Number: 1932
Thanked 3,150 Times in 1,323 Posts
My Mood: Inspired

That would be cool, but that's a different kind of cold in Pitt. The only time I didn't freeze my ass off at Heinz in the winter was The Bus' last game (New Years Day 2006 against the Lions). It was like 60 degrees. lol
Old 02-07-2014, 10:15 AM   #4
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,983 Times in 4,248 Posts

Didn't he just come out and say he didn't want it? I'm confused.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2014, 04:00 PM   #5
Lady Steel
Queen Bee
Supporter

Member Number: 16396
Thanked 5,711 Times in 2,194 Posts
My Mood: Angelic

What better place to have the Super Bowl than the city with the most Lombardi Trophies?

Let's do it!
Lady Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lady Steel For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (02-07-2014), fer522 (02-07-2014), harrison'samonster (02-07-2014), zcoop (02-07-2014)
Old 02-07-2014, 04:06 PM   #6
Lady Steel
Queen Bee
Supporter

Member Number: 16396
Thanked 5,711 Times in 2,194 Posts
My Mood: Angelic

Why not Pittsburgh?
Bob Labriola
Steelers Digest

If Super Bowl XLVIII opens up northern cities as future sites, Art Rooney II sees Pittsburgh as a possibility

Imagine the city boasting the franchise that has won the game more times than any other, the very city located within the region of the country where the sport first was played professionally hosting a Super Bowl. What once would have been considered laughable has become imaginable.

“There’s no doubt that football and Pittsburgh go together,” said Steelers President Art Rooney II. “We have a great tradition going all the way back to the early days of football, and because of that people in a lot of ways have come to look at Pittsburgh as a football town. Pittsburgh has come a long way, there’s no doubt about that. Twenty years ago, maybe even 10 years ago, we wouldn’t be talking about this.”

All of a sudden, based on the NFL’s experience with Super Bowl XLVIII in New York/New Jersey, the notion of professional football’s championship game being staged in open-air stadiums located in cities where winter weather is a part of daily life is no longer dismissed immediately.

“The fact we’ve now had a game outdoors in the north opens the door,” said Rooney. “I don’t think it’s going to be that northern cities are going to be in the regular rotation, but I think there will be more of them. Sure.”

Even before kickoff of the game at MetLife Stadium last Sunday, cities such as Philadelphia, Washington, D.C., Boston and Denver had thrown themselves out as candidates to host future Super Bowls. So, why not Pittsburgh?

“There are questions about hotels and facilities and things like that where we need to compare ourselves to some of the competing cities,” said Rooney. “Indianapolis is one that’s a logical comparison, because it’s a similar size. I look at Indy, and I think the city has done a great job, but by the same token I’m not sure why we couldn’t do just as good a job. There’s work to do, but it’s certainly something worth some conversation at this point.”

Right now, it’s just that – conversation. The next step is to engage the proper people in subsequent conversations to determine whether there is sufficient interest in Pittsburgh hosting a Super Bowl to begin a process that will require a lot of time and coordinated cooperation.

“This is a long-term effort,” said Rooney. “I don’t think we’re talking about something that’s going to happen in three, four, or even five years from now. I don’t want to put a definite time frame on it, but it’s more than five years away.”

At least that far away, because the NFL has booked Super Bowl XLIX in Arizona, Super Bowl L in San Francisco, and Super Bowl LI in Houston.

“The plan, or the thought, right now is that over the next maybe 12 months to visit with various community leaders, both in the public and private sectors and see if there is an appetite for exploring this,” said Rooney. “Initially if there is, the next step would be to put together some kind of committee – not a host committee – but some kind of committee that would get into more of the details and how this would be accomplished.

“If we test the waters and there’s an interest, it may take another two years to do the analysis and decide if we should really put an effort into this, and then to target a particular date, and things like that.”

The NFL places minimum requirements on cities interested in bidding for the right to host a Super Bowl, and chief among those are the number of hotel rooms and the seating capacity of the stadium. The Super Bowl not only is the most watched television program every year, but it also is an event attracting media and fans from all over the world. During his news conference on the Friday before Super Bowl XLVIII, Commissioner Roger Goodell put the required number of hotel rooms at 30,000. And the NFL also lists a “preferred” stadium capacity of 70,000.

“We have a lot of pieces already,” said Rooney. “We have a great Convention Center, which would be necessary. We have a number of great venues in terms of places to have parties and things like that – Stage AE, the venues in the Cultural District, even Market Square is a great place that could host a big party.

“Hotels are a question mark, where we probably are in need of more hotel rooms in general, but particularly in need of one or two large hotels Downtown to host his this kind of event. From what I understand, there are some hotels being discussed, and so that may be on the way. I’m not sure.

“The practice facilities – obviously our facility would be available, but there would need to be another one. Where that would be I don’t know – that would have to be something to be investigated. The stadium itself – whatever the state of the art happens to be when we’re talking about this, five or 10 years down the road, it would have to be able to compete with whichever other cities are bidding at that point. We certainly have a lot of the pieces, and we have to evaluate how to figure out the rest of the pieces in order to make a competitive bid.”

Super Bowls already have been held in Indianapolis, Jacksonville, and Minneapolis, and each of those cities found ways to meet the league’s requirements. Indianapolis can be considered comparable to Pittsburgh in many ways, and Jacksonville actually has a smaller metropolitan area.

“It’s exciting to think about and talk about,” said Rooney, “but I temper that with the reality that I do think we have a way to go yet. But it’s one of those things where 20 years ago people would’ve thought you were nuts even to talk about it. Now I don’t think people look at you like you’re crazy when you do talk about it. So we’ve come that far, and so it’s worth a little more investigation.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article...6-16ed3225a8e7
Lady Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lady Steel For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (02-07-2014), fer522 (02-07-2014), harrison'samonster (02-07-2014), MDSteel15 (02-07-2014), SteelerEmpire (02-07-2014)
Old 02-07-2014, 04:37 PM   #7
MDSteel15
Team President

Member Number: 8170
My Mood: Blah

Oh baby this is awesome!
Old 02-07-2014, 07:14 PM   #8
zcoop
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 20513

I wasn't cool with having a SB in an open air stadium in the NE, but they had one in NJ, so why not Pitt? It would be a great PR item for the Steeler organization, not to mention an opportunity to show off the six trophies to the world.
zcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zcoop For This Useful Post:
Lady Steel (02-07-2014)
Old 02-07-2014, 07:37 PM   #9
Kobethecat
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 25241

I think every NFL city should be able to host the Super Bowl at least once. Pittsburgh would be fantastic. Most people who haven't visited PIT think it's still steel mills but walk away impressed. The Rooneys are NFL legacies. It should happen!
Kobethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kobethecat For This Useful Post:
Lady Steel (02-07-2014)
Old 02-07-2014, 08:32 PM   #10
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24694
Thanked 8,107 Times in 3,254 Posts
My Mood: Amazed

Goodell just fined the Rooneys for asking to host a super bowl.
pczach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pczach For This Useful Post:
EbonySteel86 (02-07-2014), Lady Steel (02-08-2014), steelersfan77 (02-08-2014), steelfury02 (02-08-2014)