Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-08-2014, 08:41 PM   #11
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 10,274 Times in 4,123 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: Steelers Roster Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post

Cotchery got 10 TDs. Miller's career high is 8. So, no, Cotchery didn't "take advantage" of anything - he helped this team in more ways than we even thought possible in the tune of 602 yards and 46 catches. He became the safety blanket that Miller was, and so much more.

Wheaton has to prove his hands aren't made of chalk? I don't know if you realize this, but Wheaton played mostly on special teams because of our deep our receiving core is. AB, Manny, Cotch and Miller round out the top 4. How often do we play in a 5 wide, spread offense? We don't. We use a single back formation for the vast majority of our offense snaps. Wheaton simply didn't get the opportunity to play this year, similar to AB in his first season. It's a good thing that AB guy didn't amount to anything.
I think he means Cotchery took advantage of his opportunities.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:47 PM   #12
menofsteel
Water Boy

Member Number: 18421

Quote:

Cotchery got 10 TDs. Miller's career high is 8. So, no, Cotchery didn't "take advantage" of anything - he helped this team in more ways than we even thought possible in the tune of 602 yards and 46 catches. He became the safety blanket that Miller was, and so much more.
Also, Cotchery is a high character/grounded guy. A leader in the receiving room and locker room. In the last half of the season, you could see Ben finally developing chemistry with him. Think they would be fools not to sign him to a 3 year deal and make him a starter.
menofsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to menofsteel For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-08-2014)
Old 02-08-2014, 08:47 PM   #13
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 11,084 Times in 4,588 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
I think he means Cotchery took advantage of his opportunities.
Even if that's the case, it was in a disparaging context. I don't know how anyone can look back on Cotch's year in a disparaging way. Is he a number two receiver at this stage in his career? No. To assume he's going to go for the money as a number two when he took a pay cut to come play for us is silly.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2014, 08:48 PM   #14
Kobethecat
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 25241

Quote:

Wheaton has to prove his hands aren't made of chalk? I don't know if you realize this, but Wheaton played mostly on special teams because of our deep our receiving core is. AB, Manny, Cotch and Miller round out the top 4. How often do we play in a 5 wide, spread offense? We don't. We use a single back formation for the vast majority of our offense snaps. Wheaton simply didn't get the opportunity to play this year, similar to AB in his first season. It's a good thing that AB guy didn't amount to anything.
I listen to Tomlin's press conference every Tuesday. Tomlin himself said that Cotchery had an expanded role due to the absence of Heath. We had no pass catching TE for the first 6 weeks. Cotchery filled the void although it was from the WR spot and not the TE spot. If Heath started the season, chances are Cotch has a similar year as 2012. As for for Wheaton he was inactive for at least 8 games due to finger injuries, hence my chalk joke. By the time he was healthy he was only eligible for ST because Cotch had passed him by as as you said we don't play 4-5 WR sets very often.
Kobethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kobethecat For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2014, 08:55 PM   #15
Kobethecat
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 25241

Quote:
Even if that's the case, it was in a disparaging context. I don't know how anyone can look back on Cotch's year in a disparaging way. Is he a number two receiver at this stage in his career? No. To assume he's going to go for the money as a number two when he took a pay cut to come play for us is silly.
I never said Cotch would leave PIT for #2 money, only that he shouldn't be considered a #2 WR for the Steelers. At best he is a 3 depending on Wheaton's progress.
Kobethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:58 PM   #16
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 11,084 Times in 4,588 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobethecat View Post
I never said Cotch would leave PIT for #2 money, only that he shouldn't be considered a #2 WR for the Steelers. At best he is a 3 depending on Wheaton's progress.
That's what I got from...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobethecat View Post
Don't expect the Steelers to sign him for #2 WR money. If he expects that, he can hit the bricks.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:12 AM   #17
dssjwoodring
Water Boy

Member Number: 16988

I agree with much of what you say here. However, there is one player who has a contract and his contract needs to be honored by the Steelers. LaMarr Woodley signed a rookie contract when he was drafter by the Steelers. He out played his contract quickly and when others were holding out, LaMarr stated that he would honor his contract confident that the Steelers would "take care" of him. I realize that football is a business and the Steelers have the right to cut him because they don't think he is worth it. He definitely has slowed due to injuries, but he is still young and talented. Honoring his contract is the right thing to do and in my opinion he will go out there to prove the Steelers did the right thing. What is the message to young NFL players if LaMarr gets cut after doing the "right thing" and he gets cut?

Quote:
Originally Posted by menofsteel View Post
Just my 2 cents (guesses) on what I think may happen going forward:

1. Cap issues: Roethlisberger will probably not be extended this off-season (IMO smart). Polamalu, yes. Ike released and re-signed.

2. Outside LB: Woodley post-June 1 release. Worilds re-signed.

3. Wide Receiver: Sanders is as good as gone. Under-rated Cotchery re-signed.

4. Safety: No contract offer for Clark, 1st or 2nd round pick to compete with Allen/Thomas.

5. Backup RB: Dwyer re-signed, Jones not.

6. Remaining draft picks: possibly CB, WR, DL, T

7. Free agent wish list: RB Gerhart to replace the others, WR Tate to replace Hines (dreaming), T Otto (not a reach via Munchak), ILB Williams (Bears), CB Brown (49ers)

Leaning on Pro Football GM. They organize rosters by position against the salary cap for upcoming years, giving the reader a good feel for a teams rosters from a general manager perspective.

Thoughts?
dssjwoodring is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dssjwoodring For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-09-2014)
Old 02-09-2014, 11:45 AM   #18
Bane
Head Coach

Member Number: 24775
Thanked 3,266 Times in 1,316 Posts

And, if anything, Cotch would benefit from Miller's returning.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:31 PM   #19
DanRooney
Banned

Member Number: 16248

Cotchery is not a #2 receiver. I'm very comfortable with him lining up against 3rd-4th corners on most teams but you put him outside against a starter and he won't be effective.

I'm pretty sure the lineup is going to be like this by week 3:
#1 Brown #2 Wheaton #3 Cotchery #4 Moye/rookie draft pick
DanRooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:34 PM   #20
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 10,274 Times in 4,123 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by dssjwoodring View Post
I agree with much of what you say here. However, there is one player who has a contract and his contract needs to be honored by the Steelers. LaMarr Woodley signed a rookie contract when he was drafter by the Steelers. He out played his contract quickly and when others were holding out, LaMarr stated that he would honor his contract confident that the Steelers would "take care" of him. I realize that football is a business and the Steelers have the right to cut him because they don't think he is worth it. He definitely has slowed due to injuries, but he is still young and talented. Honoring his contract is the right thing to do and in my opinion he will go out there to prove the Steelers did the right thing. What is the message to young NFL players if LaMarr gets cut after doing the "right thing" and he gets cut?
not a bad point, but I think the Steelers have given him a lot of opportunities. I don't think it's a certain thing that they cut him, but I'm not sure if the Steelers have much of a choice.