Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-12-2014, 03:03 PM   #121
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,275 Times in 2,880 Posts
Default Re: Draft prospect Michael Sam comes out as gay

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM229 View Post
I knew it was going to be a tough story when I read that part. I've been to Galveston...it's the shittiest beach town ever. And I've been to the Jersey shore.
Keep going south to Corpus Christi - I know someone in the Coast Guard who grew up in Florida and was looking forward to being stationed at the air station in Corpus since it was near the water - he said it was grim
JonM229 (02-12-2014)
Old 02-12-2014, 03:41 PM   #122
ebsteelers
Living Legend

SpeedPong Champion! X-Training Champion!
Member Number: 18215
Thanked 2,163 Times in 1,262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM229 View Post
I knew it was going to be a tough story when I read that part. I've been to Galveston...it's the shittiest beach town ever. And I've been to the Jersey shore.
you shut the hell up.

jersey has some of the best beaches in the world..

report to me and i'll tell you the good placess not the commerical stuff jmon
The Following User Says Thank You to ebsteelers For This Useful Post:
JonM229 (02-12-2014)
Old 02-12-2014, 04:42 PM   #123
NSMaster56
Team Owner

Member Number: 23979
Thanked 3,426 Times in 1,587 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
I do not agree that just because stories discussing Michael Sam did not also discuss the issue of CTE or that everyone who congratulated Michael Sam on coming out did not also say "by the way you know you are going to end up brain damaged for playing football if you are not already there" means that the issue of CTE is being glossed over,, Using Rush's "logic," every story discussing the Seahawks dismantling of the Broncos was glossing over problems with NFL head trauma by not working that topic into discussions of how the Seahawks defense compared to the greatest Super Bowl defenses of all time.
But it was (as was every story about the potential 'bad weather' of the NY Super Bowl).

It was a [David] Sternian stroke by Goodell.

To quote Don Draper, 'If you don't like what they're saying about you, then change the conversation.'

The failed concussion settlement news that came out about a month ago has been buried on the back-pages in light of 'Peyton! Peyton! Peyton!', 'Cold Super Bowl!' and 'Hawks D Best EVER?!'

The NFL PR department is brilliant.
NSMaster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NSMaster56 For This Useful Post:
Atlanta Dan (02-12-2014)
Old 02-12-2014, 04:47 PM   #124
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts

Ok, I know the conversation was a couple days ago, but I'm adding my two cents about how tolerant those in W.Pa are (since I've lived here all my life).

In the city it's much more tolerant, but it's not great. There are plenty of people who don't care whether you're gay or not, and there's a good bit of acceptance (compared to the surrounding suburbs and rural areas), but homosexuality is something you hear joked about A LOT. It's far worse in rural areas. Small towns around here are extremely conservative (despite there being pockets of people who are more liberal leaning). I maybe know a handful of people outside of the city who voted for Obama. It was nothing but Romney posters outside the city.

There are lots of good people here, but there's also a lot of ass backwards jagoffs who are steeped in "tradition" and "family values." I concur that I'm not sure if the Western Pa area (which is what I assume Dan meant when he said Steelers fan base...their CORE fanbase) would be any more or less accepting of a gay athlete either over a southern area (I don't frequent the south very much so I can only speak on stereotypes there, and not what I know first hand). Pennsylvania as a whole is way behind the times on a lot of LBGT issues, that's all I know.

Especially when you consider that about 5 years ago, an announcement in a rural paper about a same sex marriage (that had been performed in Canada) sparked outrage and death threats.

Out In the Silence captures the remarkable chain of events that unfold when the announcement of filmmaker Joe Wilson s wedding to another man ignites a firestorm of controversy in the small Pennsylvania hometown he left long ago. Drawn back by a plea for help from the mother of a gay teen being tormented at school, Wilson takes an exhilarating journey through love, hate, and understanding in rural America. The approach to the film is aimed at breaking the mold of the traditional documentary. It is not solely observational. It is not a memoir, and it is not a news piece. As filmmaker, as protagonist, as insider and outsider, Wilson uses the camera to empower, to challenge, to confront, and to look beneath the veneer of the fragile balance of order in his conservative hometown. It is a provocative, entertaining, and deeply personal social issue documentary that dramatically illustrates the challenges of being different in a small town environment and the transformation that is possible when those who have long been constrained by a traditional code of silence summon the courage to break it.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelCityMom For This Useful Post:
Atlanta Dan (02-12-2014)
Old 02-12-2014, 04:49 PM   #125
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Oh, and to quell any questions as to who banned Killer....it was me, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SteelCityMom For This Useful Post:
Bane (02-12-2014), Buddha Bus (02-12-2014), ebsteelers (02-12-2014), fer522 (02-12-2014), harrison'samonster (02-12-2014)
Old 02-12-2014, 05:00 PM   #126
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSMaster56 View Post
But it was (as was every story about the potential 'bad weather' of the NY Super Bowl).

It was a [David] Sternian stroke by Goodell.

To quote Don Draper, 'If you don't like what they're saying about you, then change the conversation.'

The failed concussion settlement news that came out about a month ago has been buried on the back-pages in light of 'Peyton! Peyton! Peyton!', 'Cold Super Bowl!' and 'Hawks D Best EVER?!'

The NFL PR department is brilliant.
Not brilliant enough to outfox Peter King, who actually did come up with a Seahawks/blows to the head tie-in

A Clean Sweep
The poster children for the NFL's mission to eradicate head hits from the game? Look no further than the Seahawks, who were the opposite of dirty birds en route to winning the Super Bowl.

In a season that drew so much attention for the controversial defensive strike zone, there’s something about Seattle’s playoff dominance that got far too little attention. For a team that hit very, very hard, the Seahawks played very, very clean.

Seattle had 188 defensive snaps in the postseason, and zero penalties on defense for unnecessary roughness, late hit on the quarterback, helmet-to-helmet hit on a receiver or any hit on a defenseless player. Thus, the Seahawks earned zero fines from the league on any defensive player for an egregious hit. (Richard Sherman did draw a $7,875 fine for taunting Michael Crabtree in the NFC title game.)

You get fined in the NFL these days for breathing heavily on receivers. And these Seahawks, with one of the best postseason defensive performances of the Super Bowl era, were totally legal.

It wasn’t an accident. Kam Chancellor, the baddest strong safety in football, did it right in the biggest games of the year. Same with big hitters Brandon Mebane, Michael Bennett, K.J. Wright and Earl Thomas.

“I just really think America should know there’s a right way to play defense,’’ middle linebacker Bobby Wagner told me. “There’s a lot of talk about player safety. We believe in that. We want to hit hard, hit right, hit in the right target. All this talk this year about the defense having to play soft, and all these rules and fines taking the big hits out of the game. We don’t buy that. As the game evolves, the players have to too. You can evolve. All our hits are legal. They are all clean. We are physical like the great old defenses. We’re proud of that.”

The Seahawks’ clean D is a result of some trickle-down coaching from head coach Pete Carroll and defensive coordinator Dan Quinn—and from defensive passing game coordinator Rocky Seto. Each week, Seto would put together a tape of hits the NFL ruled illegal that week and show it to the defense. Each week, the coaches would hear the same grousing over the rules being slanted toward the offense. Each week, the coaches would tell the guys it doesn’t matter what you think—them’s the rules.

As Quinn told me: “The message was clear. We can either bitch about it, or we can adjust and play by the new rules and move on. All the blowup shots from the past, they’re over. Adjust.’’

Quinn said he used a baseball-type strike zone—breastbone to knees—to show players where they could hit. And over and over, they focused on taking out the head hits and putting in the midsection hits.

“We want to focus on playing clean, and playing hard,’’ Wagner said. “One particular week, I think we were coming out of our bye, and we had a chance to watch a lot of the games, and that week there were so many missed tackles and so many fines. That’s how we were taught all year. It wasn’t easy. But there’s a way to hit a guy hard, and we found it. I have not been fined this year. Kam used to get fined a lot in the past. But not now.”

“I don’t think anyone embodies being physical more than Kam Chancellor,’’ said Quinn. “But he doesn’t violate the strike zone. Pete coaches us. This began at the start of camp. We showed legal hits, illegal hits. You’d hear the groans from the guys—That’s not a penalty!—and I’d say, ‘These are the rules of engagement. We have no control over it.’ Rocky really helped educate the team. We’d have weekly meeting about ball security, and about the strike zone. It paid off.”

Tell you what I’d do if I were the NFL: I’d have Bobby Wagner or Kam Chancellor go to the Rookie Symposium in late June in Ohio and tell them what they did in the postseason. Tell them you can take the head out of the game and still be great on defense. It’d be a great lesson for the rookie class of 2014. They saw how great the Seahawks played in the postseason, and the lesson should be drilled home: not a dirty flag in 188 crucial snaps.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/02/11/seattl...ks-clean-hits/

Of course not all writers have signed off on the Hawks being such solid citizens

The Seahawks' Grabby Talons
Seattle's Defense Relies On a Brazen Tactic: Rampant Interference

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...WORDS=seahawks
harrison'samonster (02-12-2014)
Old 02-12-2014, 05:09 PM   #127
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMom View Post
Oh, and to quell any questions as to who banned Killer....it was me, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
Damn you SC Mom

Ever seen The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance? I was planning to be like the Jimmy Stewart character who was mistakenly credited with shooting bad guy Lee Marvin. Now you have ruined my plan by going public with the fact that you, John Wayne, rid the town of a disruptive force.

Link for anyone interested in the movie plot - a great John Ford movie. It is on TCM all the time and available for free on Amazon Prime and streaming Netflix

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056217/...f_=ttpl_pl_syn
Buddha Bus (02-12-2014), harrison'samonster (02-12-2014), JonM229 (02-12-2014), SteelCityMom (02-12-2014)
Old 02-12-2014, 05:12 PM   #128
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Damn you SC Mom

Ever seen The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance? I was planning to be like the Jimmy Stewart character who was mistakenly credited with shooting bad guy Lee Marvin. Now you have ruined my plan by going public with the fact that you, John Wayne, rid the town of a disruptive force.

Link for anyone interested in the movie plot - a great John Ford movie. It is on TCM all the time and available for free on Amazon Prime and streaming Netflix

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056217/...f_=ttpl_pl_syn
I had a vision of 'who shot JR?' in my head when I posted that. And then waking up from the dream to find out that he was never really banned, but that it was all a dream...and that like the rest of the show after that, it would be a nightmare.

I am sorry to steal your thunder though. I hope you enjoyed it while it lasted.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SteelCityMom For This Useful Post:
Atlanta Dan (02-12-2014), Buddha Bus (02-12-2014), harrison'samonster (02-12-2014)
Old 02-12-2014, 05:22 PM   #129
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Ok, I know the conversation was a couple days ago, but I'm adding my two cents about how tolerant those in W.Pa are (since I've lived here all my life).
Thanks

My point in bringing up the tolerance issue was not to throw rocks at western PA. That is where I grew up and I think it is has some of the nicest folks anywhere. This column by a writer named Howard Fineman, who used to be chief political correspondent for Newsweek and grew up in Squirrel Hill, describing the aftermath of the Steelers loss to the Pats in Ben's first AFC championship game illustrates my view as well

Lessons in unity from Pittsburgh - We're all in this together whether we like it or not

I didn't have change for the bus but it didn't matter because I was back home and figured that somebody would help me.

It was nearly 11 o'clock at night, and a frigid downtown Pittsburgh was fast emptying out after the Steelers game. My 13-year-old son and I had raced to a bus that, I knew from childhood memory, would take us to my mother's home. But I didn't have the right change for the $3 fare for the two of us.

The bus driver rolled his eyes, but gave me time. Standing in the aisle, I asked, "Does anybody have change?" as the bus lurched around a corner to Fifth Avenue. The "71 Negley" was packed. There were other dejected refugees from Heinz Field, wearing "Big Ben" ski caps or "Bus" jerseys; maintenance workers heading home from the second shift; nurses on their way to night duty at the hospitals near the University of Pittsburgh. Rows of sympathetic eyes looked at us. Passengers fumbled with their wallets or purses. No luck. Finally, a corporate-looking fellow in a ski jacket spoke up. "Here, take the three dollars," he said. "I can't do that!" I replied. "Go ahead," he insisted. "Somebody did this for me just the other day."

In Washington, I live in a divided world of Red vs. Blue — Republican against Democrat, Heartland vs. Coasts, Rush Limbaugh vs. Al Franken. But last weekend, for two blessed days, I was enveloped in a unified world of Black and Gold. There are lessons in that place for the country and for the president who would lead it, the main ones being: We are all in this together. Winning is important, but not the only thing. In America, pride of place is an all-but-forgotten form of salvation. Cities matter.

Those of you who know me from this column know that I am a native Pittsburgher — the fifth of five generations if you count my immigrant great-great grandmother, who came over late, and may not quite have known where she was. I am absurdly proud of my hometown and devoted to the football team that embodies it. My son and I happily schlepped via Amtrak through a snowstorm to the Auld Sod. We watched the Steelers succumb to the tough and smart — but colorless and technocratic — New England Patriots. The loss hurt, but, in the end, not much.

All about being there
What mattered was being there, with family, in a city that always felt like family. I am not naïve about Pittsburgh. I know the history. It was and to some extent still is divided by race (ask August Wilson) and class (ask the Steelworkers) and income (ask the members of the Duquesne Club), and by its chaotic and divisive topography. Rivers, hills and valleys isolated each ethnic group. Growing up in Squirrel Hill, you headed into foreign territory when you crossed the bridge into Greenfield. You didn't go to Italian Lawrenceville or Polish Hill or the black Hill District. And you certainly didn't venture out to Sewickley, where the WASPs were.

And yet, ultimately, no one in Pittsburgh was or is allowed to pull rank. It's a civic crime. More than that, it's impossible: If you are a Pittsburgher, well, that's what you are, whether you are a Mellon or guy who sells them. Pittsburgh is the Bigs, but is hundreds of miles from the biggest of the big leagues (New York and Chicago). Set off alone in Western Pennsylvania, Pittsburghers are united in their splendid isolation and in pride in being better than those other more famous places. When I was a kid, it was both a boast and a curse that everything in our city was the biggest or best "between New York and Chicago." All that really meant was that we had it over Cleveland.

When I was a kid, the sense of civic identity came from something else as well: excellent public institutions, funded by charities and tax money. We had the best in libraries, schools, museums, parks and playgrounds. They belonged to everyone — and everyone, high and low, used them.

You could see the unity of the city in the parking lot of tailgaters hours before the game. The standard male fan uniform was blue jeans (usually with a Terrible Towel hanging from the belt), work boots and Steelers jacket. But making their way to the stadium were guys in overcoats and college caps, and the Land Rovers and battered trucks were side by side.

A gargantuan twirling marigold
By kickoff, Heinz Field was full to the brim with the largest crowd in its history. The snowstorm had kept the New England fans away (much to the dismay of scalpers, I'm sure), and the view from our box was vivid almost beyond belief: 66,000 roaring people twirling bright yellow Terrible Towels, turning the stadium into a gargantuan marigold whipped by the wind.

In politics, that kind of display can be frightening, an ominous emblem of dictatorship and ideological rigidity. But no dictator ordered the fans to do this, no one organized it, and the only message was a benign one: Here we are! We chose to be here to support our team, our town and each other.

The game went badly, of course. The rookie quarterback played like a rookie. The inspirational but unimaginative coach — a Pittsburgh native as tough and unbending as stainless steel — lost his fifth championship game in six tries.

In the bus, no one seemed angry. It had been a good year — better than anyone had expected. The consensus of the Heinz Field fans and those who had watched the game (just about everyone else) was that the rookie would grow, and improve. As for the coach, well, he was from Pittsburgh. "They'll never fire him," said the nurse on his way to the hospital. "He's family."

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/6875602#.UvwA2c6tysY

The point I wanted to make (but did not make well) was that Texas is about as red state as they come but that Dallas has elected a 66 year old Latina lesbian to three terms as sheriff, which I doubt would happen in western PA or where I now live. It shows tolerance is where you find it (sometimes in places that might surprise you) and that making judgments about any group being more uniformly good or bad (except Patriots fans) than any other group is a dangerous game.

Last edited by Atlanta Dan; 02-12-2014 at 05:56 PM.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Atlanta Dan For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-12-2014), JonM229 (02-12-2014), SteelCityMom (02-12-2014)
Old 02-12-2014, 05:27 PM   #130
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,527 Times in 1,532 Posts

Quote:

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MasterOfPuppets For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-12-2014), JonM229 (02-12-2014), NSMaster56 (02-13-2014), SteelCityMom (02-12-2014)