Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 03-04-2014, 06:21 AM   #191
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 4,793 Times in 2,404 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: Draft prospect Michael Sam comes out as gay

That Media Circus That Was Supposed to Be Following Jason Collins? It Doesn’t Exist.

One of the most heartening things about Jason Collins’ signing with the Brooklyn Nets was that everyone on his new team instantly embraced the backup center. The only word of caution came from guard Deron Williams, who noted, “I think it’s definitely going to be a media circus.” Williams continued by saying it wasn’t Collins’ fault, but “it’s just the media coming along with it, because every city you go to, it’s not just like you answer a question once and then it’s over with. It’s a recurring thing.”

Oh, that distracting media circus. Lions! Tigers! Digital recorders! Mitch Lawrence of the New York Daily News wrote that by signing Collins, the Nets are “going to be inviting the media circus to come their way. Do they really need that?” Dan Levy of Bleacher Report also invoked the big top, arguing that “the media circus that was certain to follow [Collins’] signing very well may have precluded teams from taking a serious look at signing him in the offseason.”

Today, on the occasion of Collins’ home debut as a Brooklyn Net, it’s worth measuring the scope of that media circus. I searched Lexis-Nexis for all English-language news stories with “Jason Collins” in the headline. Here are the day-by-day results since Feb. 22, the day before Collins signed with Brooklyn.

Feb. 22: 2
Feb. 23 (Collins signs with the Nets, plays against the Lakers): 57
Feb. 24 (the day after Collins’ first game): 116
Feb. 25: 10
Feb. 26 (Collins’ second game): 7
Feb. 27 (Collins’ third game): 4
Feb. 28 (Collins meets Matthew Shepard's parents): 31
Mar. 1 (Collins’ fourth game): 4
Mar. 2: 6
Mar. 3 (Collins' Brooklyn debut): 7

Here’s another view, via Google Trends, showing interest in “Jason Collins” as a search term over the last 30 days.

Interest in “Jason Collins” as a search term over the last 30 days, via Google Trends.

Huh. It’s almost like that media circus, the one that was going to be such a distraction to whatever team signed an openly gay player, doesn’t really exist. This is a very good thing, and it shouldn’t be all that surprising. Collins’ debut as an openly gay player was a historic occasion, and it was written about as such. Now that he’s an NBA player getting 8.5 minutes per game, he’s being treated like an NBA player who’s getting 8.5 minutes per game. And that’s how it should be. All of those NFL executives who are so concerned about the “media circus that likely will surround Michael Sam” might want to take note.

If there is a media circus—perhaps it’s a flea circus that’s undetectable to the naked eye—the Nets at least don’t seem to be bothered by it: They’re signing Collins to another 10-day contract. On Monday, Collins did face a few more cameras as he prepared to make his home debut. “Over time I expect it to [die down]," he said of the recent media interest, according to ESPN New York. That’s certainly true, but the graph above tells a slightly different story: Jason Collins is already old news.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/outward/2...to_follow.html

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vis For This Useful Post:
Atlanta Dan (03-04-2014), harrison'samonster (03-31-2014), JonM229 (03-04-2014)
Old 03-27-2014, 09:58 AM   #192
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Troy Vincent says gay teammates were known, not a problem

Posted by Darin Gantt on March 27, 2014, 8:42 AM EDT
Mike Grant, Troy Vincent
AP
In his new role with the NFL, former cornerback Troy Vincent is trying to help build on the new emphasis on respect.

But he said that in terms of accepting gay teammates, the locker rooms he’s been in were never a problem.

Vincent, the league’s newly hired executive vice president of football operations said he had at least six openly gay teammates during his career.

“I’m not going to share their names, but in my 15 years, there were six individuals who were at least openly gay in the locker room,” Vincent said, via Hal Habib of the Palm Beach Post. “No problem. From my days in Miami until I ended in Washington, they were just my teammates. Just like my family members, . . . We ate together, we flew together, they’re roommates in hotel rooms. It was what it was.”

Of course, his setting in Miami made it even more topical, considering the Richie Incognito-Jonathan Martin saga that became a bigger story than anything the Dolphins did on the field last year.

But Vincent was confident the Dolphins would adjust, just as the league as a whole will be forced to when Michael Sam is drafted.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vis For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (04-10-2014), harrison'samonster (03-27-2014)
Old 03-27-2014, 01:54 PM   #193
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 8,322 Times in 3,511 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
Troy Vincent says gay teammates were known, not a problem

But he said that in terms of accepting gay teammates, the locker rooms he’s been in were never a problem.
I'm sure they must have had separate showers then
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to harrison'samonster For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (04-10-2014), NSMaster56 (03-27-2014)
Old 03-31-2014, 09:02 AM   #194
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,425 Times in 2,944 Posts

This from Peter King at the owners' meeting last week

One of the stars of the show in Orlando was Wade Davis, the former NFL player who came out as gay after he retired. He’s consulting with the league on gay issues. Davis left several coaches and GMs a bit open-mouthed when he told them: “Every one of you guys has two or three gay guys on your team. I know. I talk to them.”

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/03/31/jim-ke...quarterback/2/
Buddha Bus (03-31-2014), harrison'samonster (03-31-2014), SteelerJT (03-31-2014)
Old 03-31-2014, 09:51 AM   #195
GodfatherofSoul
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Add Like Mad Champion! Yeti Sports 1- Long Shot Version Champion! Commando Champion!
Member Number: 14842
Thanked 1,722 Times in 846 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
This from Peter King at the owners' meeting last week

One of the stars of the show in Orlando was Wade Davis, the former NFL player who came out as gay after he retired. He’s consulting with the league on gay issues. Davis left several coaches and GMs a bit open-mouthed when he told them: “Every one of you guys has two or three gay guys on your team. I know. I talk to them.”

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/03/31/jim-ke...quarterback/2/
About 2-3% (?) of the population is gay. Anyone who thinks or claims they're living in some kind of gay-free zone is delusional.
Buddha Bus (04-10-2014), harrison'samonster (03-31-2014), SteelerJT (03-31-2014)
Old 03-31-2014, 11:17 AM   #196
JonM229
Team Owner

Member Number: 24803
Thanked 6,239 Times in 2,267 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodfatherofSoul View Post
About 2-3% (?) of the population is gay. Anyone who thinks or claims they're living in some kind of gay-free zone is delusional.
There's no gays in Russia or Iran, according to their leaders

"I don't know about you Joe, but I would say that qualifies as elite." -Barack Obama
JonM229 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JonM229 For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (04-10-2014), harrison'samonster (03-31-2014)
Old 03-31-2014, 11:18 AM   #197
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 8,322 Times in 3,511 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

there's no cats in america!
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to harrison'samonster For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (04-10-2014), JonM229 (03-31-2014), SteelerJT (03-31-2014)
Old 03-31-2014, 11:19 AM   #198
JonM229
Team Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
there's no cats in america!
And the streets are paved with cheese!

"I don't know about you Joe, but I would say that qualifies as elite." -Barack Obama
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JonM229 For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (04-10-2014), harrison'samonster (03-31-2014)
Old 04-10-2014, 06:21 AM   #199
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Coming Out Is Contagious

One openly gay athlete leads to another, and another, and another. Collins is in the NBA. Sam, a college football player, is trying out for the NFL. Gordon, a sophomore at the University of Massachusetts, came out today as the first openly gay player in Division I men’s basketball.

In an interview with ESPN, Gordon says Collins played an important role in encouraging him:

When he came out, I wanted to come out the next day. It was a relief, like “About time!” Like, “Finally, it happened!” But I still couldn’t jump the gun, because he wasn’t in the NBA at the time when he came out. But when he went back, that’s when I started to build a little more confidence. … I watched as he was getting subbed into the game, and everybody stood up and started clapping. And I was visualizing myself as that being me, but for college. … And it definitely put a huge smile on my face.
Gordon says he spoke to Collins after Collins came out (but before Gordon did):

He was just really giving me advice and just letting me know that if I ever need anything or need to talk to him about anything, that he’s always going to be there for me. He gave me the confidence and the boost that I needed to put me over the top to coming out.
Gordon also cites Sam as a positive example:

People think that gays shouldn’t be allowed to play sports, or they’re too soft, or this and that. From the looks of it, I know Michael Sam isn’t soft, and Jason Collins isn’t. And for one, I’m not soft. And I think people misinterpret that, when it comes to being gay. … I’m still going to be the beast guy that I am.
Essentially, Gordon’s interview confirms that public homosexuality and its acceptance are contagious. For Gordon, seeing Collins come out was a relief and a spur to speak up. Having Collins’ pledge of support also helped. But so did the crowd’s reaction when Collins entered his first game after returning to the NBA. The fans stood and applauded. Gordon visualized getting that kind of reception. He wasn’t afraid anymore. He began to believe that he would be celebrated.

This is what religious conservatives have long feared: a mutually reinforcing cycle of open homosexuality and cultural affirmation. But what’s contagious isn’t the homosexuality. It’s the openness. In the interview, Gordon is asked when he first knew he was gay. “In middle school, I thought I was just going through a phase,” he says. But then “high school came, and my first year of college,” and the problem didn’t go away. Eventually, he began to think, “Maybe this is who you really are.”

Gordon was in middle school long before his predecessors came out. Collins wasn’t out. Sam wasn’t out. They didn’t make Gordon gay. They just made him feel safe about letting go of his secret. And they trashed the stereotype that gay men couldn’t be bruisers.

So, yes, open homosexuality is contagious. Just not in the way its repressors feared.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/saletan/2...ontagious.html

The Following User Says Thank You to Vis For This Useful Post:
JonM229 (04-10-2014)
Old 04-10-2014, 08:55 AM   #200
JonM229
Team Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
Coming Out Is Contagious
Everyone be careful out there, you don't want to catch the gay.

Well...maybe some of you do

The Following User Says Thank You to JonM229 For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (04-10-2014)