Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 02-10-2014, 11:00 AM   #21
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,319 Times in 3,274 Posts
Default Re: Draft prospect Michael Sam comes out as gay

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
Which makes a lot of sense. As much as it sucks to say this, he'd have to go to a Northern team. I doubt teams like Dallas, Houston and New Orleans would be quick to jump at it because their fan bases would be... less than accommodating to this kid. It's a shame, too.
Having grown up in Pittsburgh and living now in Atlanta I am not so sure the Steelers fan base would necessarily be any more or less tolerant than fan bases in Texas or the South. Lupe Valdez was re-elected in 2012 to her third term as Sheriff in Dallas. Ms. Valdez is openly gay.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/20/us...st-day.html?hp

I would not like her prospects of being elected in Allegheny County.

I think a big factor is whether the head coach has job security and can control his locker room during what will be a media event that will leave such training camp distractions as having Hard Knocks on site in the dust.
harrison'samonster (02-10-2014), JonM229 (02-10-2014), SteelersCanada (02-10-2014)
Old 02-10-2014, 11:03 AM   #22
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 10,007 Times in 4,256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Having grown up in Pittsburgh and living now in Atlanta I am not so sure the Steelers fan base would necessarily be any more or less tolerant than fan bases in Texas or the South. Lupe Valdez was re-elected in 2012 to her third term as Sheriff in Dallas. Ms. Valdez is openly gay.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/20/us...st-day.html?hp

I would not like her odds of being elected in Allegheny County.

I think a big factor is whether the head coach has job security and can control his locker room during what will be a media event that will leave such training camp distractions as having Hard Knocks on site in the dust.
That does make a lot of sense. My girlfriend has (extended, thank Christ) family in Texas that are a little bit less accepting of anyone who isn't white and/or Christian. I'm not going to pretend that those kind of people aren't everywhere, but I think they're more predominately down in the South. Can you imagine the good old boy Cowboys fan in rural Texas talking about having Michael Sam on their team?
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-10-2014)
Old 02-10-2014, 11:10 AM   #23
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,319 Times in 3,274 Posts

Good news for my fellow degenerate gamblers. There apparently is an over/under on when Michael Sam gets drafted

harrison'samonster (02-10-2014), NSMaster56 (02-10-2014)
Old 02-10-2014, 11:40 AM   #24
JonM229
Living Legend

Member Number: 24803
Thanked 7,084 Times in 2,512 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

Quote:
That does make a lot of sense. My girlfriend has (extended, thank Christ) family in Texas that are a little bit less accepting of anyone who isn't white and/or Christian. I'm not going to pretend that those kind of people aren't everywhere, but I think they're more predominately down in the South. Can you imagine the good old boy Cowboys fan in rural Texas talking about having Michael Sam on their team?
When my sister was living with my grandparents after graduating college, my dad would have a black co-worker call my grandparents asking for my sister. They would always flip their shit, which my dad found hilarious (they're my mom's parents).

"I don't know about you Joe, but I would say that qualifies as elite." -Barack Obama
JonM229 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to JonM229 For This Useful Post:
Atlanta Dan (02-10-2014), Buddha Bus (02-10-2014), GMU Steeler (02-10-2014), harrison'samonster (02-10-2014), Lady Steel (02-10-2014), NSMaster56 (02-10-2014), SteelersCanada (02-10-2014), teegre (02-10-2014)
Old 02-10-2014, 12:02 PM   #25
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 9,004 Times in 3,719 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Quote:
I don't know for sure that the problem does exist more predominantly the further south you go. Where I live in Ohio there are a lot of intolerant people. I really can't say without looking into it though.
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to harrison'samonster For This Useful Post:
SteelersCanada (02-10-2014)
Old 02-10-2014, 12:10 PM   #26
GMU Steeler
Team Owner

Member Number: 16173

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
I don't know for sure that the problem does exist more predominantly the further south you go. Where I live in Ohio there are a lot of intolerant people. I really can't say without looking into it though.
My observations are it's related to education and exposure to diversity. Anyhow, I really hope he can be a success in the league. Enough of this stupid stereotype about gay guys being more effeminate and not as tough as straight guys.
GMU Steeler is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GMU Steeler For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (02-10-2014), harrison'samonster (02-10-2014), JonM229 (02-10-2014)
Old 02-10-2014, 12:10 PM   #27
ebsteelers
Living Legend

SpeedPong Champion! X-Training Champion!
Member Number: 18215
Thanked 2,247 Times in 1,307 Posts

Quote:
Good news for my fellow degenerate gamblers. There apparently is an over/under on when Michael Sam gets drafted

depends on how he performs at the combine.. lets not forget he is switching to olb at the next level if he does welll with his drills it'll defintely be a big plus.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:12 PM   #28
GMU Steeler
Team Owner

Member Number: 16173

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM229 View Post
When my sister was living with my grandparents after graduating college, my dad would have a black co-worker call my grandparents asking for my sister. They would always flip their shit, which my dad found hilarious (they're my mom's parents).
My mom who is about Eastern European mutt as it gets had a coworker ask her if she was part AA once. We all laugh at it since her grandparents came from a part of Eastern Europe that had and has little immigration from Africa or even at all. My grandmother though got genuinely offended at the idea that my Mom may have African blood. I forgave her since she's old obviously but I really do hope people get over their prejduces about this sort of thing. My first niece is going to be of white European and Peruvian decent and my brother's already talking about not allowing her to date until she's 40.
GMU Steeler is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GMU Steeler For This Useful Post:
JonM229 (02-10-2014)
Old 02-10-2014, 12:23 PM   #29
NSMaster56
Living Legend

Member Number: 23979
Thanked 3,913 Times in 1,774 Posts

Quote:
Because every time a gay man is in the locker room or restroom he cannot help but stare at the naked male bodies and then attempt to initiate sexual contact?

So you have no gripe about gay male athletes other than the part where they are in the locker room with the rest of the team
@SoCalFan didn't mention sexual contact or initiating it, rather that it is doesn't seem 'fair' to allow the potential for sexual interest (as social norms don't allow females and males undressing together).

---

Quite honestly I don't see why this is a big deal. Mike Mussina and Charles Barkley have it right.

This seems like one of those 'hot topics' that must be brought up at any chance to make it seem like a modern 'civil movement' and that we're 'making history'.
NSMaster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:33 PM   #30
kan_t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 21653

In 1969, the year before his death, the only year he coached the Redskins, Lombardi worked with at least five gay men -- three players and two front-office executives, including David Slattery, who would come out in 1993. In his defining biography, "When Pride Still Mattered," author David Maraniss described the scene of Lombardi charging an assistant to work with one of the gay players, a struggling back named Ray McDonald. "And if I hear one of you people make reference to his manhood," Lombardi is quoted as saying, "you'll be out of here before your ass hits the ground."

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...-jason-collins

A strong coach and front office shouldn't and wouldn't afraid of taking him, if they think he can play.
kan_t is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kan_t For This Useful Post:
Atlanta Dan (02-10-2014), Buddha Bus (02-10-2014), JonM229 (02-10-2014), NSMaster56 (02-10-2014)