Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-15-2014, 10:05 PM   #51
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,322 Times in 2,896 Posts
Default Re: Kansas’ Anti-Gay Segregation Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post
So in essence, a federal judge who confuses the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence is ruling on the constitutionality of laws and treaties of the United States.
Chief Justice Roberts could not get the words to the oath of office right when he tried to swear in Obama in January 2009. Does that discredit every opinion he has issued since then?
harrison'samonster (02-16-2014)
Old 02-15-2014, 10:10 PM   #52
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by caplovestroyp43 View Post
Go Ted Cruz!!!! I can't agree more with this. So glad there are some moral people left that recognize marriage between A MAN AND WOMAN ONLY!!!! Thank you!!!!

If someone wants to only recognize certain marriages as moral they are free to reach that conclusion. But the issue is whether same sex marriages can be banned without violating the U.S. Constitution.
43Hitman (02-19-2014), Buddha Bus (02-16-2014), harrison'samonster (02-16-2014), JonM229 (02-16-2014), steelax04 (02-19-2014), SteelersCanada (02-15-2014)
Old 02-15-2014, 10:17 PM   #53
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,529 Times in 1,533 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
If someone wants to only recognize certain marriages as moral they are free to reach that conclusion. But the issue is whether same sex marriages can be banned without violating the U.S. Constitution.
ahahahaha...dan got capped ...

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 11:24 PM   #54
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,749 Times in 1,786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Chief Justice Roberts could not get the words to the oath of office right when he tried to swear in Obama in January 2009. Does that discredit every opinion he has issued since then?
Not a smidgen.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MACH1 For This Useful Post:
Atlanta Dan (02-16-2014)
Old 02-16-2014, 06:32 AM   #55
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagen View Post
In all fairness, if that was the case, then the USA would have had universal franchise and would have abolished slavery at either the beginning or the end of the War of Independence.

But it was New Zealand who first had universal franchise, and I believe Denmark was the first to abolish the transatlantic slave trade.

In 1706, a precedent in Common Law was set that any "Negro Slave" who sets foot in England will automatically be free. "One may be a villain in England, but never a slave."
True. It should have been that way, but I am ashamed for my forefathers to say that I don't believe they viewed blacks as "men". Rather they viewed them as subhuman beasts of burden much like oxen, mules, horses, etc.

The fact that they were absolutely and horrifyingly wrong about that doesn't make the words "all men are created equal" any less true after a long struggle and saner heads finally realized that they were in fact human beings worthy of the same rights. The same holds true for homosexuals today. It's just a shame it took this long to right those wrongs.

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Buddha Bus For This Useful Post:
Bane (02-16-2014), harrison'samonster (02-16-2014), JonM229 (02-16-2014), Wagen (02-17-2014)
Old 02-16-2014, 10:03 AM   #56
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post
Not a smidgen.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:16 AM   #57
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha Bus View Post
True. It should have been that way, but I am ashamed for my forefathers to say that I don't believe they viewed blacks as "men". Rather they viewed them as subhuman beasts of burden much like oxen, mules, horses, etc.

The fact that they were absolutely and horrifyingly wrong about that doesn't make the words "all men are created equal" any less true after a long struggle and saner heads finally realized that they were in fact human beings worthy of the same rights. The same holds true for homosexuals today. It's just a shame it took this long to right those wrongs.
I am taking an online course on constitutional law right now through Coursera. It is amazing how many decisions were made to deal with slavery in order to craft a document that would be ratified by the Southern states where slavery predominated.

The provision where slaves counted as 3/5 of a person for purposes of the census is one well known such provision. Counting slaves as 3/5 of a person increased the number of votes a State with a significant number of slaves would be given in the Electoral College (and is probably the reason Jefferson beat Adams in 1800). And one reason to have an Electoral College that overweighted the strength of the South in presidential elections rather than a nationwide direct popular election was while slaves might be counted as partial persons for the census, but could not vote, the power of the slaveholding States that was enhanced through the Electoral College would be washed away with a direct vote for President.

As far as the founders go, Washington freed his slaves upon his death - Jefferson and Madison did not

Last edited by Atlanta Dan; 02-16-2014 at 10:35 AM.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Atlanta Dan For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (02-16-2014), harrison'samonster (02-16-2014), SteelCityMom (02-16-2014)
Old 02-17-2014, 01:33 PM   #58
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 4,687 Times in 2,365 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Kansas Republicans Decide Anti-Gay Bill Is “Discrimination,” Kill It

Last week, the Kansas House of Representatives embarrassed itself by easily passing a bill that aimed to make gay people separate and not equal. In the name of protecting the religious sensibilities of private employers, stores, hotels, movie theaters, parks, pools—any public accommodation—the law allowed them to turn away gay couples and could even have applied to gay individuals. It was grotesque. I have been taking seriously the religious objections of nonprofit groups like Little Sisters of the Poor to the contraception mandate in Obamacare (though I think their claims should fall in the end, because the government has an excellent rationale—improving women’s health!—for requiring health insurers to cover birth control). But the Kansas bill was religious objection on crack. As Mark Joseph Stern wrote in Slate:

A catch-all clause allows businesses and bureaucrats to discriminate against gay people so long as this discrimination is somehow “related to, or related to the celebration of, any marriage, domestic partnership, civil union or similar arrangement.” (Emphases mine.) In other words, in theory, simply being in a gay relationship with any kind of official status could lose you your job or get you kicked out of a restaurant. And if you sued over this and lost, you’d be stuck with the other side’s attorney’s fees.
I am pleased to report that the Republican-led Kansas Senate decided this would not fly. Senate President Susan Wagle said on Thursday that a majority of the state senators in her party would not vote for the bill. They support “traditional marriage,” Wagle noted, “however, my members also don’t condone discrimination.” Thank you for that line in the sand. It should be obvious, but somehow that was lost on the Kansas House.

Instead of passing, as everyone predicted, the Kansas anti-gay bill will now, in all likelihood, quietly die without hearings or a vote. I give credit to the hue and cry raised by Stern and other critics, and to the rapid pace of progress on gay rights. Even in the remaining pockets of backlash, conservatives can see that there are lengths to which they can no longer safely go. I’ve been thinking a lot about this quote from Adam Liptak’s New York Times piece on the series of federal court decisions striking down state gay marriage bans: “It is becoming increasingly clear to judges that if they rule against same-sex marriage their grandchildren will regard them as bigots,” Andrew M. Koppelman, a law professor at Northwestern, told Liptak. The legislators in Kansas who stopped short of passing this bill still think it’s OK to oppose same-sex marriage Nevertheless, though their definition of prejudice differs, the point stands: They don’t want to be seen as bigots, either. That’s how progress begins.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/outward/2...tion_kill.html

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vis For This Useful Post:
JonM229 (02-17-2014)
Old 02-19-2014, 12:12 PM   #59
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 4,687 Times in 2,365 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Idaho has killed their similar bill as of today. "What happened to the good old days when discrimination was popular", one state senator mused.

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vis For This Useful Post:
JonM229 (02-20-2014)
Old 02-19-2014, 06:34 PM   #60
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
Kansas Republicans Decide Anti-Gay Bill Is “Discrimination,” Kill It
Damn RINOs

National Review talks truth to power

‘Homosexual Jim Crow Laws’? Get Real

Contrary to what some opponents of the bill have suggested, the Kansas policy would only protect religious individuals and organizations from being forced to provide services related to marriage, the celebration of marriage, or similar relationship. It would not allow businesses, individuals, or government employees from refusing to serve someone (or a couple) simply because of his or her sexual orientation....

The bill in question is a religious-liberty protection being debated in the Kansas legislature. The bill would protect all citizens from being forced by the government into recognizing or celebrating a same-sex marriage if it ran contrary to their religious beliefs. So how is a bill protecting liberty akin to Jim Crow?...

Protecting religious liberty and the rights of conscience does not infringe on anyone’s sexual freedoms. Americans are free to live and love how they choose, but they should not use government to penalize those who think and act differently.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner...yan-t-anderson