Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 02-20-2014, 03:42 AM   #61
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 5,920 Times in 2,851 Posts
My Mood: Tired
Default Re: Kansas’ Anti-Gay Segregation Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Damn RINOs

National Review talks truth to power

‘Homosexual Jim Crow Laws’? Get Real

Contrary to what some opponents of the bill have suggested, the Kansas policy would only protect religious individuals and organizations from being forced to provide services related to marriage, the celebration of marriage, or similar relationship. It would not allow businesses, individuals, or government employees from refusing to serve someone (or a couple) simply because of his or her sexual orientation....

The bill in question is a religious-liberty protection being debated in the Kansas legislature. The bill would protect all citizens from being forced by the government into recognizing or celebrating a same-sex marriage if it ran contrary to their religious beliefs. So how is a bill protecting liberty akin to Jim Crow?...

Protecting religious liberty and the rights of conscience does not infringe on anyone’s sexual freedoms. Americans are free to live and love how they choose, but they should not use government to penalize those who think and act differently.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner...yan-t-anderson
You know they are lying when they don't quote the text of the bill they defend.

http://kslegislature.org/li/b2013_14...53_00_0000.pdf

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vis For This Useful Post:
JonM229 (02-20-2014)
Old 02-20-2014, 11:46 PM   #62
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,396 Times in 3,686 Posts

I guess someone in the Arizona Legislature reads National Review

The Arizona Legislature passed a measure on Thursday that allows business owners asserting their religious beliefs to refuse service to gays and others, drawing backlash from Democrats who called the proposal “state-sanctioned discrimination” and an embarrassment.

The 33-to-27 vote by the House sent the legislation to Gov. Jan Brewer, a Republican.

Governor Brewer does not comment on pending legislation, but she vetoed a similar measure last year. That action, however, came during an unrelated political standoff, and it was not clear whether she would support this plan.

Similar religious protection legislation has been introduced in Ohio, Kansas, Mississippi, Idaho, South Dakota, Tennessee and Oklahoma, but Arizona’s plan is the only one that has passed. The efforts are stalled in Idaho, Ohio and Kansas.

The bill is backed by the Center for Arizona Policy, a social conservative group that opposes abortion and same-sex marriage. It says that the proposal is needed to protect against increasingly activist federal courts and that it clarifies existing state law.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/21/us...rizona.html?hp

I guess the Center for Arizona Policy does not get that if a State statute violates the Fourteenth Amendment saying the statute "clarifies" existing State law is not going to save it from an "activist" federal court ruling that the State law is unconstitutional

Arizona reasserts itself as the home office of bigotry
JonM229 (02-21-2014)
Old 02-21-2014, 07:15 PM   #63
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Vis For This Useful Post:
Atlanta Dan (02-22-2014), Bane (02-21-2014), Buddha Bus (02-26-2014), harrison'samonster (02-24-2014), JonM229 (02-22-2014)
Old 02-23-2014, 09:49 AM   #64
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

February 21, 2014
By George Takei
Dear Arizona,

Congratulations. You are now the first state actually to pass a bill permitting businesses–even those open to the public–to refuse to provide service to LGBT people based on an individual’s “sincerely held religious belief.” This “turn away the gay” bill enshrines discrimination into the law. Your taxi drivers can refuse to carry us. Your hotels can refuse to house us. And your restaurants can refuse to serve us.

Kansas tried to pass a similar law, but had the good sense to not let it come up for a vote. The quashing came only after the Kansas Chamber of Commerce and other traditional conservative groups came out strongly against the bill.

But not you, Arizona. You’re willing to ostracize and marginalize LGBT people to score political points with the extreme right of the Republican Party. You say this bill protects “religious freedom,” but no one is fooled. When I was younger, people used “God’s Will” as a reason to keep the races separate, too. Make no mistake, this is the new segregation, yours is a Jim Crow law, and you are about to make yourself ground zero.

This bill also saddens me deeply. Brad and I have strong ties to Arizona. Brad was born in Phoenix, and we vacation in Show Low. We have close friends and relatives in the state and spend weeks there annually. We even attended the Fourth of July Parade in Show Low in 2012, looking like a pair of Arizona ranchers.

The law is breathtaking in its scope. It gives bigotry against us gays and lesbians a powerful and unprecedented weapon. But your mean-spirited representatives and senators know this. They also know that it is going to be struck down eventually by the courts. But they passed it anyway, just to make their hateful opinion of us crystal clear.

So let me make mine just as clear. If your Governor Jan Brewer signs this repugnant bill into law, make no mistake. We will not come. We will not spend. And we will urge everyone we know–from large corporations to small families on vacation–to boycott. Because you don’t deserve our dollars. Not one red cent.

And maybe you just never learn. In 1989, you voted down recognition of the Martin Luther King holiday, and as a result, conventions and tourists boycotted the state, and the NFL moved the Superbowl to Pasadena. That was a $500 million mistake.

So if our appeals to equality, fairness, and our basic right to live in a civil society without doors being slammed in our face for being who we are don’t move you, I’ll bet a big hit to your pocketbook and state coffers will.

George Takei

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vis For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (02-26-2014), harrison'samonster (02-24-2014), JonM229 (02-24-2014)
Old 02-24-2014, 11:52 AM   #65
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vis For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (02-26-2014), harrison'samonster (02-24-2014), JonM229 (02-24-2014)
Old 02-24-2014, 09:05 PM   #66
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,396 Times in 3,686 Posts

The Republicans elected to federal office and officials trying to attract business must need to knock back a stiff drink every time they hear what brilliant idea some State legislature has thought up before they go public to try to clean up the mess

Arizona's two republican U.S. senators, Jeff Flake and McCain, are urging a veto, as are business groups like the Arizona Chamber of Commerce and Industry. McCain weighed in Monday with a tweet saying "I hope Gov. Brewer will veto #SB1062."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/02/24...vices-to-gays/

Based on this recent tweet I wonder what Ted Nugent thinks about this?

Buddha Bus (02-26-2014)
Old 02-24-2014, 09:42 PM   #67
GodfatherofSoul
Head Coach
Supporter

Spellbound Champion! Add Like Mad Champion! Yeti Sports 1- Long Shot Version Champion! X-Training Champion! Commando Champion!
Member Number: 14842
Thanked 2,358 Times in 1,148 Posts

At some point, these knuckleheads are going to figure out why their kids keep moving to the city.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:26 AM   #68
JonM229
Living Legend

Member Number: 24803
Thanked 8,616 Times in 2,978 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

From George Takei's Facebook page:

"I don't know about you Joe, but I would say that qualifies as elite." -Barack Obama
JonM229 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JonM229 For This Useful Post:
Bane (02-25-2014), Buddha Bus (02-26-2014), Vis (02-25-2014)
Old 02-25-2014, 11:40 AM   #69
Bane
Head Coach

Member Number: 24775
Thanked 3,374 Times in 1,363 Posts

He has a much more elegant way of saying, "Hey Arizona, fuck you!" than I do.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:52 AM   #70
JonM229
Living Legend

Member Number: 24803
Thanked 8,616 Times in 2,978 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane View Post
He has a much more elegant way of saying, "Hey Arizona, fuck you!" than I do.
That's because he's FABULOUS!!

"I don't know about you Joe, but I would say that qualifies as elite." -Barack Obama
JonM229 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JonM229 For This Useful Post:
Bane (02-25-2014)