Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-15-2014, 12:21 PM   #1
Kobethecat
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 25241
Default Bring Back "The Steeler Way"

From 1991 to 2007 the Steelers had the formula for sustained success. We were 1-1 in the Super Bowl, played in numerous AFCC's, and made the playoffs at least 75% of the time over 16 seasons. I remember Cowher's infamous 3 year drought from 98-00, and then then year before Ben was drafted. Even more importantly was the fact the Steelers were known as one of the few organizations who were all about "next man up", letting free agents walk right before they became too expensive to pay or hit the wall production wise. We were the "winningest" organization in the NFL overall. Somewhere after 2007, we lost our way. Overpaying older players. Poor drafts. Not developing talent. Over reliance on the "franchise QB" strategy to winning. Suspect coaching. I see an organization getting a pass based on historical reputation, but the bottom could easily fall out next season. I'm concerned that Ben's final 4-5 seasons are going to be leading some average Steeler teams. I think the NFL is now strictly a young mans game and paying older expensive veterans is going out of style. Treat it like college with 4-5 year cycles for players, revolving door. We started that trend for the most part but seems we lost our way. How can we get back to long term success?
Kobethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:55 PM   #2
pittpete
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5301
Default Re: Bring Back "The Steeler Way"

Solidify the defense and we're right back in the hunt.
Old 02-15-2014, 02:04 PM   #3
SteelReserve916
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 25093

You do realize that three Super Bowl appearances, including two Lombardi Trophies, are the direct result of this "overpaying." When a team is lucky enough to have a franchise QB like Big Ben, the last thing they want is a revolving door of veteran players, as they are harder to replace than you make it sound.
Old 02-15-2014, 02:29 PM   #4
SteelerEmpire
Team President

Member Number: 14355
Thanked 1,669 Times in 771 Posts

This team shows no sense of urgency until late in the season (when it's almost too late) which results in them barely making the playoffs, or barely missing the playoffs. There may be a list of issues as to why the team is mediocre, but motivation is certainly one of them.

A HOUSE DIVIDED WILL FALL TO IT'S ENEMIES;
BUT IN UNITY THERE ARE 6' SUPER BOWLS !!!
SteelerEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 02:31 PM   #5
CNEW
Starter

Member Number: 25021

I can't stand this mindset, as if there is some exact formula that guarantees success. There isn't one, never has been never will be.

We didn't "overpay" for any older player; we've paid everyone market value. Who should we not have paid at the time, without using any hindsight? There isn't anyone. Our cap issues is a direct result of being extremely competitive for over a decade. This "Non-Steeler Way" that youre so adamant against was one touchdown drive away from bringing home three SB's in a six year span. Instead, you'd rather go back to "Steelers Way" of letting stud players leave, constantly disappointing in the playoffs, and terrible QB play.

You say go back to the days before 2007 because we weren't reliant on a QB? We were just as reliant on a qb from 2004-2007 as we are now, so your idea of what the "Steelers Way" is confused. Were still looking for #5 without Ben.

Do whatever you need to do to win and keep winning. Any other philosophy is wrong.
CNEW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CNEW For This Useful Post:
43Hitman (02-16-2014), Blacksburg Zach (02-15-2014), Buddha Bus (02-15-2014), harrison'samonster (02-15-2014), pczach (02-15-2014), SH-Rock (02-15-2014), teegre (02-15-2014)
Old 02-15-2014, 02:35 PM   #6
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 18,787 Times in 7,928 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Great post, CNEW.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-15-2014), pczach (02-15-2014)
Old 02-15-2014, 02:38 PM   #7
Kobethecat
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 25241

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelReserve916 View Post
You do realize that three Super Bowl appearances, including two Lombardi Trophies, are the direct result of this "overpaying." When a team is lucky enough to have a franchise QB like Big Ben, the last thing they want is a revolving door of veteran players, as they are harder to replace than you make it sound.
Ben was on his rookie deal until 2008. So scratch SB 40, as we were similar to the current Seahawks with Polamalu , Hampton, Farrior, Clark, Taylor, Harrison, Keisel, Smith all under contract and playing well. In 2008 we signed Ben on his current deal, which I have no issue with because we made another Super Bowl in 2009, but as far as the others we started tossing money around with Harrison, Ike, Troy, Woodley, Clark, Willie Colon, when we should have begun to have rebuild for Ben's prime. I think the Super Bowl vs the Packers was the last stand because the Steelers defense has been awful since and I don't think we have enough time and talent to maximize Ben's stage of his career and turn this around. In the absence of talent around a stud QB taking 20% of the cap, you need either a lot of young cheap talent or superior coaching. We have neither. I don't want a revolving door of vets. I want good drafting and coaching up players we have to replace the ones we need to let move on. Case in point, Worilds. If he leaves and we cut Foote, the LB corp is Woodley, Williams, Jones and Spence? No successor to Clark. Really no successor to Ike or Troy if they don't restructure and are cut.
Kobethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 03:19 PM   #8
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24694
Thanked 7,605 Times in 3,102 Posts
My Mood: Amused

Great post by @CNEW.

Kobethecat, do you want the perfect example of a team doing things the way you describe in your original post? The Philadelphia Eagles under Andy Reid.

The Eagles ran their franchise exactly as you say the Steelers should again. They won a lot of games every year, went to the playoffs every year, stayed well under the salary cap every year, jettisoned veteran players every year, went to one Super Bowl going 0-1, and flamed out nearly every year in the playoffs while being the favorite or among them.

Sound familiar?

The Eagles didn't have enough special players on their team. The Steelers were exactly the same way until they added a select few difference makers. Some of those difference makers are the players you seem to wish the team cut years ago.

The key to winning in the NFL is accumulating players that have the talent to win and the wherewithal to transcend simply winning football games that you are capable of winning on talent alone. When a team gathers enough of these special players that show they are able to win, but are also able to win championships, you do whatever you can to keep them together to win as many Super Bowls as possible. That's what the Steelers have done with many of the players that helped put them over the top and win Super Bowls.

It wasn't a mistake. It was a calculated move they made to try to squeeze one more Super Bowl out of this special group of players. In hindsight, it didn't work but the logic was sound. Now they are trying to recover from that spectacular run and restock the shelves with new, talented players in their quest to find several "special" men that will once again elevate the level of play of this team, and show the ability to lead the men and "will" their way to victory.in the biggest games, and at the biggest moments.

That's what great players do. That's how Super Bowls are won.
pczach is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pczach For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (02-15-2014), harrison'samonster (02-15-2014), Steel and Gold (02-15-2014)
Old 02-15-2014, 04:09 PM   #9
Steel and Gold
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 24939

Bla bla yap yap. This is old dude.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:18 PM   #10
CNEW
Starter

Member Number: 25021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobethecat View Post
Ben was on his rookie deal until 2008. So scratch SB 40, as we were similar to the current Seahawks with Polamalu , Hampton, Farrior, Clark, Taylor, Harrison, Keisel, Smith all under contract and playing well. In 2008 we signed Ben on his current deal, which I have no issue with because we made another Super Bowl in 2009, but as far as the others we started tossing money around with Harrison, Ike, Troy, Woodley, Clark, Willie Colon, when we should have begun to have rebuild for Ben's prime. I think the Super Bowl vs the Packers was the last stand because the Steelers defense has been awful since and I don't think we have enough time and talent to maximize Ben's stage of his career and turn this around. In the absence of talent around a stud QB taking 20% of the cap, you need either a lot of young cheap talent or superior coaching. We have neither. I don't want a revolving door of vets. I want good drafting and coaching up players we have to replace the ones we need to let move on. Case in point, Worilds. If he leaves and we cut Foote, the LB corp is Woodley, Williams, Jones and Spence? No successor to Clark. Really no successor to Ike or Troy if they don't restructure and are cut.
So you think the Seahawks shouldnt resign the following: Michael Bennet, Richard Sherman, Earl Thomas, 2nd best pass rusher (whoever it is, I dunno), Kam Chancellor, and Max Unger? That is abso-fucking-lutely ridiculous. You'd be run out of Seattle if they did that.

If anything, the Seahawks are in the EXACT situation that we were in post 2005, so they are emulating US, not the other way around.
CNEW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CNEW For This Useful Post:
43Hitman (02-16-2014), SteelersCanada (02-15-2014), steelfury02 (02-16-2014)