Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-14-2014, 03:51 PM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,801 Times in 2,682 Posts
Default Heroic Armed Citizen Stops Movie Texting With Gun, Murder

That escalated quickly

Curtis Reeves, a Responsible Gun Owner in Wesley Chapel, Florida, was ready to defend himself when he went to a matinee showing of “Lone Survivor” Monday — ignoring the Grove 16 Theaters’ ban on carrying weapons in the auditorium, no doubt because he knew, as do all Responsible Gun Owners, that mass killers target Gun-Free Zones specifically because they know they won’t face an armed citizen who can stop them. Or maybe because as a retired Tampa Police captain, Reeves just felt better carrying a gun. And so, when he got into an argument with Chad Oulson over Oulson’s texting during the previews, Reeves was ready for action, and after the argument escalated and Oulson threw popcorn at him, Reeves pulled his gun and shot Oulson dead. Oulson’s wife Nicole was wounded when she raised her hand in front of her husband; the round went through her hand and killed him. Just before Reeves shot him, Oulson reportedly said that he was texting his 3-year-old daughter.

http://wonkette.com/539065/heroic-ar...ith-gun-murder

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publics...heater/2160784
Buddha Bus (01-15-2014), harrison'samonster (01-14-2014), JonM229 (01-14-2014)
Old 01-14-2014, 04:58 PM   #2
JonM229
Team Owner

Member Number: 24803
Thanked 5,829 Times in 2,129 Posts
My Mood: Bitchy
Default Re: Heroic Armed Citizen Stops Movie Texting With Gun, Murder

If only someone else in the theater had a gun as well, this could have been avoided.

"I don't know about you Joe, but I would say that qualifies as elite." -Barack Obama
JonM229 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JonM229 For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (01-15-2014), harrison'samonster (01-14-2014), Lady Steel (01-15-2014), teegre (01-14-2014)
Old 01-14-2014, 05:02 PM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,203 Times in 2,670 Posts

Unbelievable.

3 year olds can't text...
Old 01-14-2014, 05:02 PM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,203 Times in 2,670 Posts

Unbelievable.

Old 01-14-2014, 05:02 PM   #5
JonM229
Team Owner

Member Number: 24803
Thanked 5,829 Times in 2,129 Posts
My Mood: Bitchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
Unbelievable.

Machete don't text

"I don't know about you Joe, but I would say that qualifies as elite." -Barack Obama
JonM229 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JonM229 For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (01-15-2014), harrison'samonster (01-14-2014), teegre (01-14-2014), tony hipchest (01-14-2014)
Old 01-14-2014, 05:47 PM   #6
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,298 Times in 1,409 Posts

moral of the story ...don't throw popcorn at a 71 year old grouch with a gun .
and stay off their lawn..

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MasterOfPuppets For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-14-2014), IowaSteeler927 (01-15-2014), PeckerWood (01-15-2014)
Old 01-14-2014, 05:57 PM   #7
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 7,966 Times in 3,375 Posts

absolutely tragic. Honestly, treat everybody as if they had a gun on them at all times.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:01 PM   #8
GodfatherofSoul
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 14842
Thanked 1,499 Times in 725 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
Unbelievable.

Pretty sure the implication was he sent a text for the babysitter to read to daughter.
Atlanta Dan (01-14-2014), harrison'samonster (01-14-2014), Lady Steel (01-15-2014)
Old 01-14-2014, 07:41 PM   #9
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,298 Times in 1,409 Posts

gonna have to wait for more details on this one....but it sounds like mr texty escalated the incident with his yap... i know my old man wasn't one to take shit from nobody and had a short fuse , especially as he got older. i could see him reacting the same way in the same situation.

Quote:

The retired Tampa police captain accused of gunning down a man texting during a Mark Wahlberg war movie will be arraigned on a second-degree murder charge Tuesday in a Florida court.
Curtis Reeves Jr., 71, is charged with shooting Chad Oulson, 43, the Pasco County Sheriff’s Office said Monday, after a verbal and physical confrontation.
Chad Oulson was pronounced dead at a hospital, and his wife, Nichole, was treated for a gunshot wound to her hand.
“To have a retired police officer — I don’t know what he was thinking at the time,” Pasco County Sheriff Chris Nocco told reporters. “I can tell you, anybody, over a cellphone, to take their life, it's ridiculous.”
Reeves remained in Pasco County jail overnight Monday, and a judge could decide Tuesday whether to set bail.
Officials are crediting an off-duty sheriff’s deputy from neighboring Sumter County for detaining Reeves at the Grove 16 Theatre in Wesley Chapel, north of Tampa. The deputy also secured the weapon, described as a .380-calber handgun, until Pasco authorities arrived, Nocco said.
“He was a true hero in there. He reacted,” said Nocco, who also praised the efforts of two nurses who were in the theater and tried to save Oulson's life.
Nocco said that when when the first emergency calls came in, his mind immediately turned to recent shootings at schools and movie theaters, an apparent reference to the mass killings at a theater in Aurora, Colo., in July 2012, and at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., just five months later.
“Hearing what we heard, we were prepared for a large incident, but I want to reiterate this was just an isolated incident,” he said.
“This situation over a cellphone use — to escalate that high, I can tell you it's very scary,” he said. “Or the fact it's a movie theater or, you know, a place such as a school, where people have a belief that they should be in a movie theater to relax or a school to learn and have it arise to this kind of level.”
Nocco said the tragedy unfolded after Reeves became outraged over something trivial: “somebody texting.”
Reeves and his wife were sitting behind the Oulsons as the preview trailers were rolling just before the showing of “Lone Survivor,” the Mark Wahlberg movie about a failed 2007 Navy Seal raid in Afghanistan, investigators said.
Reeves asked Chad Oulson several times to stop, to no avail, Nocco said. He then left the theater to complain to the theater's management before returning to his seat, the sheriff said.
Upon his return, “Chad Oulson then starts confronting him verbally, starts saying: ‘Oh, did you go in there and start complaining on me? Did you tell the staff about me?’” Nocco said.

“This verbal altercation starts getting louder and louder. During this altercation, it goes from a verbal to a physical altercation,” he said.
Then, “the suspect, Curtis Reeves, pulled out a gun,” Nocco said.
Only one shot was fired, Nocco said. Nichole Oulson was wounded in the hand when she grabbed her husband as Reeves pulled the trigger, he said.
The theater's operator, Cobb Theatres, said in a statement that it was “truly heartbroken by this incident” and that it was cooperating with investigators.
Reeves retired as a captain from the Tampa Police Department in 1993, said Laura McElroy, a spokeswoman for the department, adding that Reeves helped set up the department's first SWAT team.
“We are not aware of any contact with the department since his departure more than 20 years ago,” she said in a statement.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MasterOfPuppets For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-14-2014)
Old 01-14-2014, 10:50 PM   #10
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 17,882 Times in 7,557 Posts
My Mood: Dead

I normally am the smartass, posting some snide comment.

But, I have a 2 1/2 year old... and this struck me pretty hard.

I can't imagine never seeing my daughter grow up.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
Atlanta Dan (01-15-2014), Buddha Bus (01-15-2014), harrison'samonster (01-15-2014), JonM229 (01-15-2014), Lady Steel (01-15-2014), PeckerWood (01-15-2014), SteelCityMom (01-15-2014), SteelersCanada (01-15-2014)