Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Pro Bowl
8:00PM Eastern on ESPN

Old 03-11-2015, 12:31 PM   #1
Joelbushbaum
Starter

Member Number: 25082
My Mood: Brooding
Default What type of grade would you give the Steelers in free agency in the past four years?

What type of grade would you give the Steelers in free agency in the past four years?

The Woodley deal smarts. 8M in dead cap space. Who knew Woodley would turn into a dog? The Steelers should know their players well enough.

K. Lewis goes elsewhere, possibly because the Steelers gave Colon too much money.

Brice MCcain was a good 1 year deal, but he's likely gone.

Unfortunately Cortez Allen is still here. Horrible deal.

Gilbert has been okay relative to his cap number, but Mike Mitchell has not.

Woridls was given franchise tag money. He's not worth it and has retired. Wish we used the money elsewhere, and by retiring it prevents a compensatory pick in the next draft. The Steelers should have had an idea of where Worilds heart was.

Moats was re-signed for good value, and might start.

Blount was brought in, then cut mid season.

Pouncey was re-signed. I think he get a bit too much, but okay here.

E. Sanders. We matched and lost him the next year. Should have taken the 3rd round pick. Too late for a do over.

I'm sure I am missing a few names. Chime in if you want to add them. When was the last time the Steelers signed an impact free agent? Maybe Farrior, and that was pre-Tomlin.

Grade C-
Joelbushbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 12:34 PM   #2
WokeUpWithaWoodley
Team Captain

Member Number: 24000
Default Re: What type of grade would you give the Steelers in free agency in the past four ye

not applicable
WokeUpWithaWoodley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to WokeUpWithaWoodley For This Useful Post:
CNEW (03-11-2015), PhantomJB93 (03-11-2015), SteelMusic (03-13-2015), teegre (03-11-2015), tube517 (03-11-2015), Vis (03-11-2015)
Old 03-11-2015, 12:37 PM   #3
Vis
3rd Gen
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 8,168 Times in 3,742 Posts
My Mood: Amused
Default Re: What type of grade would you give the Steelers in free agency in the past four ye

Quote:
Originally Posted by WokeUpWithaWoodley View Post
not applicable

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vis For This Useful Post:
WokeUpWithaWoodley (03-11-2015)
Old 03-11-2015, 12:37 PM   #4
Lokki
Jerkimus Maximus
Supporter

Member Number: 17947
Thanked 4,431 Times in 1,483 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

Hindsight is always 20/20. A lot of those deals looked good at the time and people were excited about them. I can't tell if you are trying to troll with this post or if you are just that freaking idiotic. Every team has hits and misses in Free Agency and the draft.

K. Lewis went to New Orleans because that is his hometown. We didn't have much of a chance to re-sign him. Colon had nothing to do with it. He even said yesterday that he wants his contract with the Saints to become guaranteed or he wants to leave his "hometown".

You also failed to mention that we gave AB the money and let Mike Wallace get his pay day with the Dolphins. Brilliant freaking move on the part of the front office, but you only want to focus on the negatives. Wallace got his $$ and has been a huge bust for the Phins. Suh is about to become the same thing for the Dolphins.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:37 PM   #5
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 2,335 Times in 943 Posts

I look at the Worlids situation and think givin' the production he DID give us and how he actually emerged out of NOWHERE to put himself in this position to receive a nice contract for himself has to be a win within' itself considering that Worlids was a grade-A BUST before coming out of nowhere so with him retiring, I label that a wash. I wasn't expecting ANY production of Worlids...quite ever in his career after his terrible start for a #2 OLB draft pick with high expectations. We atleast got production out of him.

Mitchell can EASILY turn it around. The dude seriously needs to be givin' a damn chance.

I'm also with Lokki on the AB deal. Holy FUCK what a move there and that deal makes up for all the Woodley's and Colon's we can handle.
Buddha Bus (03-11-2015)
Old 03-11-2015, 12:57 PM   #6
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 29,706 Times in 11,994 Posts
My Mood: Dead

How they handled Keenan Lewis was perfect.

He was a lockerroom distraction while he was in Pittsburgh; they let him go; and, he's currently a lockerroom distraction in New Orleans.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
cali_fan (03-13-2015)
Old 03-11-2015, 01:00 PM   #7
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 13,025 Times in 5,314 Posts

People's hot takes on Mitchell are hilarious.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
austinfrench76 (03-12-2015), CNEW (03-11-2015)
Old 03-11-2015, 01:23 PM   #8
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
Thanked 1,363 Times in 647 Posts
My Mood: Drunk

Cortez Allen deal gets a big fat F. He still has time to turn it around but there is no reason for him to have that kind of money.

Cam Thomas also gets an F. Sucks big time. A UFA or 7th rounder could do better for a quarter the cost.

Polamalu's current deal gets a D. We knew at the time he wasn't going to play through it. I know it was to try and lower his cap hit but there was probably a better way to work around the cap without putting us on the hook for him this year and next when we don't want him and knew at the time we probably wouldn't.

Mike Mitchell gets a C from me. He sucked last year but it's an easy contract to get out of if he sucks again, and I'm sipping the kool aid a little bit that he'll be better this year.

Worilds on the transition tag is a C. Whatever. He was still a decent OLB and at the time we didn't have many options, but it was an overpayment for sure now that it didn't lead to another contract.

Woodley gets a C. It seemed like a smart deal at the time. If he stays healthy who knows where we are right now on defense. Sucks that his contract is still killing us cap-wise.

Marcus Gilbert gets a B. He still sucks sometimes but at other times looks like a great RT.

Blount gets a B. You guys can hate him all you want but that was a smart signing and if our front office wasn't so concerned with "doing things the right way" and "setting examples" he would, and should, still be on the team. It sucks Blount is a dick but he is/was a very good backup RB and a perfect compliment to Bell.

Pouncey gets an A. Some people think it's too much but he is the key to the offensive line and one of the best centers in the NFL. Good to have him locked up even if he's a bone head off the field sometimes.

Bringing back William Gay is an A. Never thought I'd type that. Wow was he huge for us last year. Imagine if we didn't bring him back and he didn't perform the way he did last year. That secondary would have been terrifyingly awful.

Ramon Foster also gets an A, he has turned into a great LG at a cheap price, though we will be losing him soon most likely.

Antonio Brown gets an A++++++++++ and can't say that enough. Steal of the century both in the draft and on his first contract.

I'm completely okay with letting Wallace, Sanders, Keenan Lewis walk away. Wallace got way too much money, Lewis got a fair deal that looks like a steal now but he was set on returning to his hometown so there wasn't much we could do there, and Sanders was a career underachiever who finally had a good statistical season because of the Peyton Manning effect.

Antwon Blake, Brice McCain, Arthur Moats, Cody Wallace are all great bargain finds who have been contributors in some way

As far as the deals we actually gave out, I think that's alright. I'd probably give it like a B-. A couple huge mistakes and a couple home runs. A lot of team do way worse than that. But it's hard to measure their missed opportunities. We haven't always had cap space but I really do feel like our passive approach to FA causes us to miss out on a lot of good opportunities to improve. You can say good teams build through the draft or whatever but the Patriots, Packers, Seahawks, Colts, Broncos, and Ravens are good at building through the draft AND making good and serious FA acquisitions. We only use half of that equation.
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PhantomJB93 For This Useful Post:
SteelMusic (03-13-2015)
Old 03-11-2015, 02:17 PM   #9
Cyphon
Team President

Member Number: 24613
Thanked 2,010 Times in 1,030 Posts

Most of the deals seem decent or good at the time so I don't think you can label them as horrible even with hindsight.

The ones that bother me most:

- Signing Cam Thomas last season and now cutting Keisel this season while still having Cam Thomas. I don't care if you told me Keisel wasn't fit to play another NFL snap, I would take his leadership over Cam Thomas seeing the field.

- Letting our 2 and 3 receivers go in the same offseason. Should have found a way to keep at least 1. It worked out well enough so nothing to complain about but at the time it was a bad decision. One of a QB's biggest things is his comfort with his receivers and Ben had essentially 1 known commodity in a 5 man group.

Those are 2 that irk me most I think. The other stuff is kind of unpredictable like injuries, players wanting to leave, players getting lazy or whatever. But you KNOW Cam Thomas is bad and you KNOW the production we were getting from Sanders and J Co.
Cyphon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cyphon For This Useful Post:
austinfrench76 (03-12-2015)
Old 03-11-2015, 02:49 PM   #10
Lokki
Jerkimus Maximus
Supporter

Member Number: 17947
Thanked 4,431 Times in 1,483 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

It depends on how you look at it too. The Steelers got burned big time on that Woodley deal. So here comes Worilds with a great season in his contract year, much like Woodley. Not wanting to get totally burned again, they tag him at a 1 season high price. He doesn't live up to the money that season, so they decide to move on. I would rather do that than get burned by another expensive, long term contract like we did with Woodley. They basically said, here is the money, show us that you can do it again and you'll get more. He failed. He didn't get paid.

It's like going to a restaurant and laying your tip money out when the waitress comes to the table. "Give us good service and this will all be yours. Screw up and we start deducting!"

If you look at it that way, it was the right move by the front office. If you look at it in the "OMG WE PAID HIM LOTS OF MONEY AND HE SUCKED LAST YEAR!!!11!!!! STUPID FRONT OFFICE!!!!!" way, then they screwed the pooch.

Big picture... look at it..