Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 05-29-2014, 07:30 AM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,784 Times in 2,675 Posts
Default Post - Gazette - Rookie Archer Blows Off OTAs

This from Ed.B. of the P-G on the midget running back whom I continue to think was a reach in the third round by a team that had more pressing needs to fill with that pick

An update that was supposed to make the paper this morning but for some reason did not:

Rookie Dri Archer, the team’s third-round draft pick, missed both practices this week. He was sent home on Tuesday because he was sick, but then turned up for the NFL Players Association Rookie Premier event that began Wednesday in Los Angeles.

And that news item leads to this: Yes, these spring practices are voluntary, but what is Archer thinking? He’s in Los Angeles for the Rookie Premier gala with all the media attention that goes with it? That means he will miss his first three practices of 10 permitted in the spring with his new teammates. You would think he would want to start learning an offense in which he supposedly will be so much a part of in 2014, especially all the different positions in which they plan to use him.

http://sportsblogs.post-gazette.com/...s/201405290001

Since I think Troy should be at OTAs I certainly think Archer should be
harrison'samonster (05-31-2014)
Old 05-29-2014, 07:36 AM   #2
Goldsteel86
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 16432
Default Re: Post - Gazette - Rookie Archer Blows Off OTAs

I agree he should be there, but its his decision in the long run, I still have high hopes for the kid. As much as I hate to admit it the NFL is now a "business" and all Veterans and Rookie's alike can see that, I just hope Archer made the right "business" move here.
Goldsteel86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Goldsteel86 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2014, 07:43 AM   #3
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldsteel86 View Post
I agree he should be there, but its his decision in the long run, I still have high hopes for the kid. As much as I hate to admit it the NFL is now a "business" and all Veterans and Rookie's alike can see that, I just hope Archer made the right "business" move here.
This triggers repressed Mendenhall memories of when Mendy left the team after Ray Lewis broke Mendy's collarbone in week 4 of the 2008 season since he was not required to hang around

Anything that brings up a comparison to Mendy's conduct is not a good thing
Old 05-29-2014, 08:07 AM   #4
vrabinec
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 8821
Thanked 1,129 Times in 596 Posts
My Mood: Buzzed

Guess he doesn't expect much playing time this year. Kick and punt returns may be just about it for him. Oi. I defended the pick. There were still some good corners on the board in the 3rd.
vrabinec is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vrabinec For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2014, 08:23 AM   #5
Goldsteel86
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 16432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
This triggers repressed Mendenhall memories of when Mendy left the team after Ray Lewis broke Mendy's collarbone in week 4 of the 2008 season since he was not required to hang around

Anything that brings up a comparison to Mendy's conduct is not a good thing
Who is Mendenhall? Oh wasn't he the guy that had the crucial fumble against the Green Bay Packers in the SB?
Goldsteel86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Goldsteel86 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2014, 09:21 AM   #6
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,128 Times in 3,910 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrabinec View Post
Guess he doesn't expect much playing time this year. Kick and punt returns may be just about it for him. Oi. I defended the pick. There were still some good corners on the board in the 3rd.
No. He isn't at voluntary workouts because voluntary workouts are a complete and total waste of time, rookie or not. OTAs were thought up by teams to get guys back working out. As long as Archer continues working out on his own, I really couldn't care less if he's practising without pads on.

At the end of the day, OTA's don't matter.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2014, 09:22 AM   #7
jtbsteeler
Starter

Member Number: 18760

Ed Bouchette needs to go hide under a rock. He needs to release his position and retire.
jtbsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jtbsteeler For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2014, 09:39 AM   #8
CNEW
Starter

Member Number: 25021
My Mood: Bored

I heard its a mandatory rookie primer. One person had to go, and since Archer was sick, we sent him.
CNEW is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CNEW For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (05-31-2014), JVip (05-29-2014)
Old 05-29-2014, 09:41 AM   #9
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
No. He isn't at voluntary workouts because voluntary workouts are a complete and total waste of time, rookie or not. OTAs were thought up by teams to get guys back working out. As long as Archer continues working out on his own, I really couldn't care less if he's practising without pads on.

If it is my first week on the job it may not be a best practice to tell my bosses I do not think it is worth showing up for something they have scheduled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNEW View Post
I heard its a mandatory rookie primer. One person had to go, and since Archer was sick, we sent him.
I would be very surprised if the NFL said each team had to send a rookie to this during OTAs

More than 35 top rookies from the 2014 NFL Draft class will come together in Los Angeles May 29-31 to learn the business of football at the 20th annual NFLPA Rookie Premiere. A robust roster of business partners will be on site to grow their brands and promote their products through the utilization of group player rights facilitated by NFL Players Inc. (NFLPI).

The 2014 NFLPA Rookie Premiere partners include Panini America, Topps, Nike, EA SPORTS, Pepsi, USA TODAY Sports, Bose, élevée, Uber, Original Retro Brand, and Fandeavor.

The three-day event, hosted by NFLPI, the marketing and licensing arm of the NFLPA, will also feature one of the most thrilling moments for any rookie – wearing their official Nike team uniforms for the first time during photo shoots with trading card companies Panini America and Topps at LA Memorial Coliseum.

http://proplayerinsiders.com/nfl-hea...okie-premiere/

Archer is not attending the NFL rookie symposium this week, which is scheduled for June. This is a union meet and greet with marketers event.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:44 AM   #10
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,130 Times in 2,635 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post

they matter to 32 organizations and about 90 players per team trying to make the roster.

they matter enought to the NFLPA that the union uses OTA rules and regulations as bargaining chips in negotiations.

dri archer is a smurf playing amongst grown men who is going to get knocked on his ass repeatedly and likeley have his career end prematurely.

you think he would want any advantage he could get.

if im a coach, i'd make sure he has that damn playbook memorized, otherwise i have a goon or two welcome him to the NFL to see if his health will stand up long enough to earn a roster spot and paycheck going into week 1.

poor lack of judgement on his part it seems.