Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-26-2014, 07:51 AM   #91
Steelstoned1972
UNLEASHING HELL SINCE '72
Supporter

Member Number: 16903
Thanked 2,614 Times in 1,529 Posts
My Mood: Psychedelic
Default Re: Timing right for Steelers to draft tall WR

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...ghts-breakdown
Old 02-26-2014, 07:58 AM   #92
BLACK_AND_YELLOW
Head Coach

Member Number: 18312
Thanked 1,745 Times in 826 Posts
My Mood: Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelstoned1972 View Post
I would love to get Jordan Matthews in the 2nd. I said this before he is this years Keenan Allen. great hands, tough as nails, comes up big in the clutch & top it off he's related to Jerry Rice aka the GOAT.

1. Dennard
2. Matthews

Steelstoned1972 (02-26-2014)
Old 02-26-2014, 08:13 AM   #93
Steelstoned1972
UNLEASHING HELL SINCE '72
Supporter

Member Number: 16903
Thanked 2,614 Times in 1,529 Posts
My Mood: Psychedelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK_AND_YELLOW View Post
I would love to get Jordan Matthews in the 2nd. I said this before he is this years Keenan Allen. great hands, tough as nails, comes up big in the clutch & top it off he's related to Jerry Rice aka the GOAT.

1. Dennard
2. Matthews

I can dig it !

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
BLACK_AND_YELLOW (02-26-2014)
Old 02-27-2014, 03:10 PM   #94
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 9,342 Times in 3,990 Posts
My Mood: Cool

Risers And Fallers From NFL Combine

by Garrett Downing

Here’s a look at who helped and hurt their stock based on their combine performances.

RISERS

WR Mike Evans, Texas A&M

With measurements often times inflated, the big receiver lived up to his reputation as an impressive physical specimen by measuring in at 6-foot-5, 231 pounds. He also answered questions about his speed by clocking a 4.53-second 40-yard dash. Evans was considered a likely first-round round pick coming into the draft, and he may have vaulted himself into the top 15.

WR Odell Beckham, LSU

Beckham didn’t have the same fanfare as some of the other top wideouts entering the combine, but he proved that he’s in the conversation with the best of the bunch. Beckham clocked a 4.43-second 40 and was also the second-best receiver in the 20-yard shuttle. Beckham is challenging to be the second receiver drafted after Clemson’s Sammy Watkins.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/...2-46ec17ce6a3e
Old 02-27-2014, 07:39 PM   #95
Born2Steel
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 25772
My Mood: Sick

A tall receiver would be nice but is not necessary, IMO. If Sanders walks, which I think he will, it will leave us with Brown and Cotchery, and 2 untested guys in Wheaton and Moye. I think we just need a speedy, gritty guy with great hands who loves to hit as much as catch. We're missing Hines more than height at the receiver spot. I like Moncreif from Ole Miss. A 3rd-4th rd projection on CBSSports.com, I think he goes earlier. But if he's there, a steal in the 3rd. I would take best of; DB or pass rusher 1st and 2nd. Moncreif in the 3rd.
Born2Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:45 PM   #96
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,285 Times in 1,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelstoned1972 View Post
I can dig it !

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MasterOfPuppets For This Useful Post:
Steelstoned1972 (02-27-2014)
Old 02-27-2014, 07:46 PM   #97
Born2Steel
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 25772
My Mood: Sick

Anybody know anything about Jeff Janis, WR, Saginaw Valley? 4.42-40, 20 reps on the bench, 37.5 vert. @6'3" 219. I'll look at his highlights but wondered if anyone had actually seen him play before. Good tangibles. Plus a 3.98 shuttle.
Born2Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:07 PM   #98
DanRooney
Head Coach

Member Number: 16248

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
Risers And Fallers From NFL Combine

by Garrett Downing

Here’s a look at who helped and hurt their stock based on their combine performances.

RISERS

WR Mike Evans, Texas A&M

With measurements often times inflated, the big receiver lived up to his reputation as an impressive physical specimen by measuring in at 6-foot-5, 231 pounds. He also answered questions about his speed by clocking a 4.53-second 40-yard dash. Evans was considered a likely first-round round pick coming into the draft, and he may have vaulted himself into the top 15.

WR Odell Beckham, LSU

Beckham didn’t have the same fanfare as some of the other top wideouts entering the combine, but he proved that he’s in the conversation with the best of the bunch. Beckham clocked a 4.43-second 40 and was also the second-best receiver in the 20-yard shuttle. Beckham is challenging to be the second receiver drafted after Clemson’s Sammy Watkins.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/...2-46ec17ce6a3e
I will LOL at any team who drafts Beckham over Evans or Lee. Unless it's us of course. I'd probably break my TV in a million pieces.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:56 PM   #99
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
Anybody know anything about Jeff Janis, WR, Saginaw Valley? 4.42-40, 20 reps on the bench, 37.5 vert. @6'3" 219. I'll look at his highlights but wondered if anyone had actually seen him play before. Good tangibles. Plus a 3.98 shuttle.

Janis is a projected fifth-or-sixth round pick, according to CBS Sports. However, he will likely be creeping up draft boards after his impressive showing at the combine. The Saginaw Valley product is a big-bodied receiver, but he still managed to run a tremendous 4.42 in the 40-yard dash.

Janis has all the tools to be a successful wideout at the next level. Players like him usually aren't around late in the draft.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...combine/page/3
Old 03-02-2014, 06:03 PM   #100
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

@ScottBrown_ESPN What position do you think they will they draft with their 1st round pick? #steelersmail
Feb. 28, 2014

@ScottBrown_ESPN I loved what Art Rooney II said last week at the NFL scouting combine. Rooney, while talking to 970 ESPN, said when asked who the Steelers were eyeing with their first-round pick that it's like going to a good restaurant. The menu offers so many choices but you can only pick one. I feel the same way about this draft in relation to your question. The Steelers, assuming they get a good player, couldn't go wrong by taking a cornerback, safety, wide receiver, inside linebacker, nose tackle or defensive end. Heck, what if one of the three top offensive tackles (Greg Robinson, Jake Matthews or Taylor Lewan) slides a little in the draft and is available at No. 15? What if the Steelers really like North Carolina tight end Eric Ebron, and he is there when they make their first pick of the draft? If I had to guess right now I would say the Steelers will take a wide receiver or a cornerback with their first pick. If Texas A&M wide receiver Mike Evans lasts until the 15th pick I think he is wearing black and gold next sesason.

@ScottBrown_ESPN With all arrows pointing towards Sanders leaving, do we draft a WR at 15? #steelersmail
Feb. 28, 2014

@ScottBrown_ESPN I think they do if Mike Evans is still available. The problem for the Steelers is Evans may have put himself out of their reach with how he ran at the combine. Both Mel Kiper Jr. and Todd McShay have the former Texas A&M star among their top 10 players in the draft. If Evans goes off the board before the 15th pick of the draft do the Steelers take another tall receiver in Florida State's Kelvin Benjamin or select a smaller but more NFL-ready wideout in Southern Cal's Marqise Lee?

If the Steelers use their first-round pick on a different position I think wide receiver is very much in play with their second-round selection. Wide receiver is one of the deepest positions in what is considered an exceptionally strong draft, and with Emmanuel Sanders expected to sign elsewhere as an unrestricted free agent they are going to draft a wide receiver early. And they don't have a third-round pick unless they get one as compensation for the free agents they lost a year ago. Some wide receivers they could consider if they don't pick one in the first round are Fresno State's Davante Adams, Clemson's Martavis Bryant, Ole Miss' Donte Moncrief and Penn State's Allen Robinson.

http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-s...e-agency-plans