Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 03-02-2014, 07:13 PM   #101
SteelerJT
Living Legend

Member Number: 25777
Thanked 5,824 Times in 2,612 Posts
Default Re: Timing right for Steelers to draft tall WR

A guy I'd keep an eye on is Brandon Coleman in the 4th round. A project, but taller, faster, and stronger than Benjamin at the combine. Can be legit with the right coaching.
SteelerJT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SteelerJT For This Useful Post:
emarines (03-03-2014), harrison'samonster (03-02-2014)
Old 03-02-2014, 10:06 PM   #102
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
Thanked 1,075 Times in 512 Posts
My Mood: Drunk

The one guy I really don't like that I'm seeing a lot lately is Martavis Bryant. At least not where he's being projected. This guy is Stephen Hill 2.0. He did nothing in college to warrant being much more than maybe a 4th round pick, but then everyone found out he was tall and ran a fast 40 and all of a sudden he's a high second round pick. There aren't a lot of picks I've seen mocked to us that would really upset me but Bryant in the 2nd round is one of them. Let somebody else reach for the guy who can't catch but can run a fast 40.
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:15 PM   #103
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 11,427 Times in 4,684 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomJB93 View Post
The one guy I really don't like that I'm seeing a lot lately is Martavis Bryant. At least not where he's being projected. This guy is Stephen Hill 2.0. He did nothing in college to warrant being much more than maybe a 4th round pick, but then everyone found out he was tall and ran a fast 40 and all of a sudden he's a high second round pick. There aren't a lot of picks I've seen mocked to us that would really upset me but Bryant in the 2nd round is one of them. Let somebody else reach for the guy who can't catch but can run a fast 40.
AB didn't have collegiate production either.

It's hard to be productive when your Quarterback's mechanically flawed, and whenever he does throw the ball, it goes to Watkins or Hopkins.

You can teach route running. You can't teach being 6'5, 200 lbs. and running a 4.35. I'm also not sure where the can't catch knack came from as he had an impressive gauntlet and combine, dropping only two passes all day.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (03-02-2014)
Old 03-02-2014, 11:27 PM   #104
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 11,427 Times in 4,684 Posts

I will say this though, I'd prefer Allen Robinson over Martavis Bryant.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (03-02-2014), SH-Rock (03-12-2014)
Old 03-02-2014, 11:45 PM   #105
PhantomJB93
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post

It's hard to be productive when your Quarterback's mechanically flawed, and whenever he does throw the ball, it goes to Watkins or Hopkins.

You can teach route running. You can't teach being 6'5, 200 lbs. and running a 4.35. I'm also not sure where the can't catch knack came from as he had an impressive gauntlet and combine, dropping only two passes all day.
There's a reason Boyd threw to Watkins and Hopkins first. And while he may be mechanically flawed as far as NFL scouts are concerned, that didn't stop him from being one of the most efficient and dominant passers in college football over the last 3 seasons.

What Bryant did in a combine drill is irrelevant. He was noted for drops over his career at Clemson and his biggest criticism was his lack of focus. He barely has 60 CAREER catches, spread out over three years, and I know he didn't start all of those year because as you said Watkins and Hopkins were there but he received significant playing time since at least midway through his freshman year. His career statline over three years compares unfavorably to most of the other top receiver prospects' statlines from just this season alone.

Guys with his size and speed come around every year, it's the guys who can use that to produce on the field who warrant high draft picks. Again, I'd be fine taking a flyer on him in a later round, because as you said his physical abilities warrant him as at least a project player, but he won't be there, again, because of what he did at the combine. 46 is WAY too high for this kid and it's where I've seen a ton of people mock him to us since the combine.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:46 PM   #106
SteelReserve916
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 25093

Quote:
I really hated Robinson's combine showing and thought his performance during the receiving drills, was adequate at best.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:29 AM   #107
CNEW
Team Captain

Member Number: 25021

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomJB93 View Post
I lived just outside of Clemson in Greenville this past summer, and all summer long the talk was if Bryant could stop being so damn inconsistent because he had all the natural talent in the world. I have no idea how he fared last season, but heading into it he had a TON of question marks.

I think the excuse that he played next to Watkins is most likely a cop out, but like I said, I have no idea how he played over the course of the year.
CNEW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:35 AM   #108
CNEW
Team Captain

Member Number: 25021

Quote:

AB college career (3 years):

305 catches
3199 yards
22 TD's

Martavis Bryant college career (3 years):

61 catches
1300 yards
13 TD's

The production numbers arent even close here man. Regardless of your opinion on Boyd, he put up some legit numbers over the course of his career. Bryant was just never really apart of them, for whatever reason.
CNEW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 05:12 AM   #109
kan_t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 21653

Quote:
It's probably wishful thinking. I hope his so-so combine will drop him to 3rd round.
kan_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:02 AM   #110
PhantomJB93
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNEW View Post
I lived just outside of Clemson in Greenville this past summer, and all summer long the talk was if Bryant could stop being so damn inconsistent because he had all the natural talent in the world. I have no idea how he fared last season, but heading into it he had a TON of question marks.

I think the excuse that he played next to Watkins is most likely a cop out, but like I said, I have no idea how he played over the course of the year.
He produced well enough to get himself drafted but that's about it. If you look at his stats from this season in a vacuum they look decent (nowhere near early second round decent, but mid round draft pick decent), but there is no reason someone with his talent in that offense with his playing time shouldn't have put up an additional 2-300 yards (at least), 20 more catches, and a few more TDs. He still had a ton of dumb drops and is just one of those guys who is a great athlete but not really a great receiver.