Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-18-2014, 08:08 AM   #11
Blacksburg Zach
Team President
Supporter

Super Mario Flash Champion! Ragnarok Champion!
Member Number: 24584
Thanked 2,811 Times in 1,074 Posts
My Mood: Tired
Default Re: Timing right for Steelers to draft tall WR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
Round 2 (46) Pittsburgh Steelers: Davante Adams, WR, Fresno State

The Steelers missed Mike Wallace in 2013 and could use more receiving weapons for Todd Haley's offense, especially when you consider that Emmanuel Sanders and Jerricho Cotchery are entering free agency.

The 6-foot-2, 212-pound Adams has a good combination of size and speed. He was extremely reliable for Derek Carr and gets open via quickness, size and route-running. In 2013, Adams dominated with 131 receptions for 1,718 yards and 24 touchdowns. He was one of the best receivers in college football. Adams has the ability to make receptions over defenders with the skills to get separation. As a freshman in 2012, he had 102 catches for 1,312 yards and 14 scores.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2014charlie_2.php
They did?
Wins are a team statistic, not a quarterback statistic.

Winning big will not earn a team two wins, nor will winning ugly give a team only half a win.
Blacksburg Zach is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Blacksburg Zach For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (02-18-2014), FrancoLambert (02-18-2014), harrison'samonster (02-18-2014), Hawaii 5-0 (02-18-2014), pczach (02-18-2014)
Old 02-18-2014, 09:07 AM   #12
Bane
Head Coach

Member Number: 24775
Thanked 3,435 Times in 1,384 Posts

Kelvin Benjamin or no one.

We need a tall, physical red-zone threat who can jump in immediately. If that is available, take it. As I stated in a post a while back, I know our defense needs help, but I feel like putting our offense over the top with a single pick will help more in both the short- and long-term than will rebuilding the defense. This team wound up kicking far too many field goals in the red zone last year.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:46 AM   #13
CNEW
Team Captain

Member Number: 25021
Thanked 1,010 Times in 468 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane View Post

We need a tall, physical red-zone threat who can jump in immediately. If that is available, take it. As I stated in a post a while back, I know our defense needs help, but I feel like putting our offense over the top with a single pick will help more in both the short- and long-term than will rebuilding the defense. This team wound up kicking far too many field goals in the red zone last year.
Exactly howi feel. The offense is a piece away from being one of the best units in the league.
CNEW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CNEW For This Useful Post:
Bane (02-18-2014), harrison'samonster (02-18-2014)
Old 02-18-2014, 12:42 PM   #14
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,893 Times in 2,310 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane View Post

The more I listen to Benjamin talking, the more I want him over Evans. For whatever that is worth as a fan - I'm not getting "good fan vibes" from Evans. I'm not hearing very good things about Benjamin's route running consistency, however, what is he like down the middle/vertically? I've also heard he loves setting up the run game and coming from a receiver - that is the perfect attitude to have coming to the Steelers.

Anybody that can give me more insight into Evans' attitude and intangibles v. others (like I'm thinking Robinson from Penn State in the 2nd round or should we not go near him?)

I'VE GOT SOME YOUTHFUL ADJUSTMENTS FOR 'DAT AZZ
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to steelfury02 For This Useful Post:
Bane (02-18-2014), harrison'samonster (02-18-2014), Steelstoned1972 (02-18-2014)
Old 02-18-2014, 03:16 PM   #15
Bane
Head Coach

Member Number: 24775
Thanked 3,435 Times in 1,384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
The more I listen to Benjamin talking, the more I want him over Evans. For whatever that is worth as a fan - I'm not getting "good fan vibes" from Evans. I'm not hearing very good things about Benjamin's route running consistency, however, what is he like down the middle/vertically? I've also heard he loves setting up the run game and coming from a receiver - that is the perfect attitude to have coming to the Steelers.

Anybody that can give me more insight into Evans' attitude and intangibles v. others (like I'm thinking Robinson from Penn State in the 2nd round or should we not go near him?)
We have guys that can work very well with him. I was on the Mike Evans bandwagon until some here enlightened me about his shitty attitude. Benjamin could be exactly what this team needs.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:01 PM   #16
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
Thanked 1,111 Times in 532 Posts
My Mood: Drunk

Mike Evans' "attitude" wasn't a problem until he got two penalties in the Sugar Bowl. Not that that's great but it's being blown way out of proportion. He's hardly a diva. And he's very good at blocking in the run game too.

The more I think about it the more I think WR will be the pick. Nix has the knee issues and may only play 2 downs, CB and S are very deep and will have options in round 2 nearly as good as round 1, OT seems less and less a need...only other solid pick seems to be Mosley.

I'm going all in on Evans (again). If Ben Roethlisberger were to design his ideal wideout, Evans would be it. Tall, strong, physical, works hard when the play breaks down, straight up dominant, blocks for the run game...and I am confident his speed is not anywhere near as big an issue as some think. Watch his tape, he's no Mike Wallace but I see no issues with his speed. We need defense, but Evans puts our offense from league average to fantastic.

Last edited by PhantomJB93; 02-18-2014 at 04:13 PM.
PhantomJB93 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PhantomJB93 For This Useful Post:
steelfury02 (02-18-2014)
Old 02-18-2014, 04:20 PM   #17
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,265 Times in 639 Posts

Steelers missed Mike Wallace? Do these morons even watch games?
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OX1947 For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (02-18-2014), FrancoLambert (02-18-2014), steelfury02 (02-18-2014)
Old 02-18-2014, 04:30 PM   #18
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 11,684 Times in 4,770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomJB93 View Post
Mike Evans' "attitude" wasn't a problem until he got two penalties in the Sugar Bowl. Not that that's great but it's being blown way out of proportion. He's hardly a diva. And he's very good at blocking in the run game too.

The more I think about it the more I think WR will be the pick. Nix has the knee issues and may only play 2 downs, CB and S are very deep and will have options in round 2 nearly as good as round 1, OT seems less and less a need...only other solid pick seems to be Mosley.

I'm going all in on Evans (again). If Ben Roethlisberger were to design his ideal wideout, Evans would be it. Tall, strong, physical, works hard when the play breaks down, straight up dominant, blocks for the run game...and I am confident his speed is not anywhere near as big an issue as some think. Watch his tape, he's no Mike Wallace but I see no issues with his speed. We need defense, but Evans puts our offense from league average to fantastic.
He had penalty and attitude problems all season. That and the fact that his pass interference that he gets away with at the collegiate level will be called in the NFL. His poor footspeed, bad attitude and penalty trouble makes him a no go.

The CBs after Gilbert and Dennard aren't nearly as good. Is the CB class deep? Sure, but so is the receiver class. It's arguably more deep with more talent than CB. After Watkins and Evans, there are quality receivers in Robinson, Adams, Lee and Benjamin all viable second round picks.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
Bane (02-18-2014), steelfury02 (02-18-2014)
Old 02-18-2014, 04:52 PM   #19
Steelstoned1972
UNLEASHING HELL SINCE '72
Supporter

Member Number: 16903
Thanked 3,315 Times in 1,851 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomJB93 View Post

I agree. all though the wide receiver position is as deep as the db pool , Benjamin and Evans are of the few that have an imposing physical presence.
I believe our defense can be rebuilt in rounds 2 thru 7 while our offense gets the missing link to dominance .

of course a lot depends on pro days and the combine .

Plus we haven't drafted a corner in the 1st round in about 15 years . Time will tell !
CNEW (02-18-2014), steelfury02 (02-18-2014)
Old 02-18-2014, 06:16 PM   #20
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,893 Times in 2,310 Posts
My Mood: Fine

all great responses - thanks for the input - damn - I'm nowhere near being convinced as to who as a fan I'd rather have - but again - I'll put faith in the Steelers Org - they'll know who will be the right fit

I think because of this tossup in my mind at WR - I say get Dennard in the 1st, your WR in the 2nd, then come back to defense in 3rd, 4th, 5th, and come back to either another linemen or TE project at 6th or 7th and leave the other spot for another D project guy

I'VE GOT SOME YOUTHFUL ADJUSTMENTS FOR 'DAT AZZ
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to steelfury02 For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (02-18-2014), pczach (02-18-2014), Steelstoned1972 (02-18-2014)