Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-19-2014, 12:41 PM   #41
Steelstoned1972
UNLEASHING HELL SINCE '72
Supporter

Member Number: 16903
Thanked 2,614 Times in 1,529 Posts
My Mood: Psychedelic
Default Re: Timing right for Steelers to draft tall WR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
Starkey: Steelers should take wide receiver

Mike Evans, a 6-foot-5 wideout from Texas A&M, would be a welcome addition to the Steelers’ receiving corps.

By Joe Starkey
Published: Tuesday, Feb. 18, 2014

As the 366-day-a-year NFL news cycle winds through Indianapolis via the scouting combine this week, thoughts invariably turn to one of two topics:

• Who should the Steelers draft?

• Will sociologists look back on the combine's consistently boffo TV ratings as evidence of the decay of Western civilization?

The second one's easy: Yes. The first is infinitely more challenging. It came up in conversation the other day when somebody suggested the Steelers take a receiver with the 15th pick. I laughed.

How could a team dying on defense even think about a receiver?

But the more you analyze the state of the franchise, the more it makes sense. I'm firmly on board. Take the receiver. If the offense is the better unit, fortify it. Strengthen your strength. Outscore people.

What's the point of taking a defensive player in the first round anyway? He'll need nine years to learn Dick LeBeau's system. Take the receiver.

If the Steelers are going to win next season, they're going to do it by way of an explosive offense that might be missing only one ingredient: a large, athletic, 21st century, jump ball-winning red-zone magnet.

Strengthen your strength. Don't try to fill one hole on a leak-ridden defense. Use temporary patches there.

Need a free safety? Sign Louis Delmas and his bad knee. He played through it last year. Need a corner? Find one cheap. Ask Ike Taylor to take a radical pay cut. Need one-year fill-ins? Bring back Brett Keisel and Larry Foote. Take a slew of defenders later in a draft some are labeling among the deepest ever.

It's the offense's turn to carry the franchise. The defense did it through most of a decade-long window of opportunity that slammed shut about two years ago. Ben Roethlisberger & Co. can open it again. Give the quarterback the kind of weapon he always has lacked — and I don't count Plaxico Burress, a 6-foot-6 first-rounder who played like he was 5-8 in his early years. (Did Plax ever win a jump ball? The Steelers would have been better off with a possession arrow.)

Strengthen your strength. If the offense is going to do the heavy lifting, give it another set of broad shoulders. This team needs a beast. Beasts are on the board. They should be, anyway, at No. 15.

Texas A&M's Mike Evans (6-5, 225 pounds) and Florida State's Kelvin Benjamin (6-5, 234) are names that stand out. I don't pretend to be able to trace their route trees, and I certainly won't draw conclusions based on what they look like running around in shorts. But I love what I saw in college.

Evans seems to have that Anquan Boldin quality of “If it's near me, I will catch it.” Benjamin was a human mismatch at FSU, with a penchant for clutch plays. Both lack raw speed. The Steelers don't need raw speed. If they want to go smaller and still find a big-time playmaker at the position, USC's Marqise Lee might be available. He has risen to No. 2 on several draftnik boards, behind Clemson's Sammy Watkins, who only would be available to the Steelers via trading up.

Think about what already returns from a unit that took on the look of a real point-producing NFL offense late in the season:

• A franchise quarterback who responded wonderfully to increased responsibility. Roethlisberger played the kind of quick-release, heady football his bosses envisioned when they hired Todd Haley — the kind of football they believe will keep him upright well into his 30s.

• A potential franchise running back in Le'Veon Bell.

• A clear No. 1 receiver in Antonio Brown.

• A presumably healthy, high-quality tight end in Heath Miller.

• A presumably healthy Pro Bowl center in Maurkice Pouncey and an emerging star guard in David DeCastro.

The tackle spots could be an issue, but if Mike Munchak is the miracle worker he has been portrayed as, maybe he'll top the 1980 U.S. Olympic hockey team and turn Mike Adams into an adequate pass blocker.

Or maybe scrappy Kelvin Beachum is the answer on Ben's blind side, and maybe Adams or Marcus Gilbert will provide just enough on the right.

I'm sure everyone would love to see a return to dominant defense. It's not going to happen next season. Respectability is the more realistic goal.

In the meantime, there's no rule that says you can't outscore teams. This offense seems poised to do just that. It needs one more piece.

Take the receiver.

http://triblive.com/sports/joestarke...#ixzz2tml4Eh2I
I tend to agree with Starkey . The defense needs a lot more help. Strenghten the strength and build the defense over the next 2 years.

Of course a lot depends on the combine and pro days and who the steelers see as a better value.

But I gotta think a physically imposing Wr ala Calvin Johnson would create match up nightmares for opposing defenses . Who ya gonna double ? AB ? Heath ? Cotch / Wheat or the new guy ? then there is always Bell as an outlet . if YA CANT STOP EM , OUT SCORE EM !

Factor in the equation that Munch should do wonders for the O line and we will have a balanced formidable offense.

Truth be told we all know any defender drafted will have a minimal impact first year whether they start or even play at all.

Last edited by Steelstoned1972; 02-19-2014 at 12:52 PM.
Steelstoned1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steelstoned1972 For This Useful Post:
Hawaii 5-0 (02-19-2014)
Old 02-19-2014, 01:05 PM   #42
Steel_Bus_24
Team President

Member Number: 2886

Just by looking at game tape.....Mike Evans seems like a perfect pairing for Bens style.

Colbert definitely has his work cut out for him.....but he and his scouts have no one to blame but themselves for the hole they are in now

Had they done a better job at keeping our D stocked with a little depth, they could go for a guy like Lee or Evans without a whole lot of thought...

Instead This off season kind of feels like Im watching a movie where someone is trying to disarm a bomb as the clock is rapidly decreasing........The clock in this metaphor represents Bens remaining years here. Better not waste what time we have left with a franchise QB

Also Known as SteelerSpartan

Last edited by Steel_Bus_24; 02-19-2014 at 01:51 PM.
Steel_Bus_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Steel_Bus_24 For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (02-19-2014), Hawaii 5-0 (02-19-2014), PhantomJB93 (02-19-2014), Steelstoned1972 (02-19-2014)
Old 02-19-2014, 01:25 PM   #43
CNEW
Starter

Member Number: 25021
My Mood: Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelstoned1972 View Post
I tend to agree with Starkey . The defense needs a lot more help. Strenghten the strength and build the defense over the next 2 years.

Of course a lot depends on the combine and pro days and who the steelers see as a better value.

But I gotta think a physically imposing Wr ala Calvin Johnson would create match up nightmares for opposing defenses . Who ya gonna double ? AB ? Heath ? Cotch / Wheat or the new guy ? then there is always Bell as an outlet . if YA CANT STOP EM , OUT SCORE EM !

Factor in the equation that Munch should do wonders for the O line and we will have a balanced formidable offense.

Truth be told we all know any defender drafted will have a minimal impact first year whether they start or even play at all.
Agree with every thing you and Starkey said save for the "outscore them" phrase. I don't think any team has ever won a game when they don't outscore the opponent. I don't know why that phrase is so commonly used. Sorry for being a douche lol, but its kinda a pet peeve of mine.
CNEW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:27 PM   #44
Steelstoned1972
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNEW View Post
Agree with every thing you and Starkey said save for the "outscore them" phrase. I don't think any team has ever won a game when they don't outscore the opponent. I don't know why that phrase is so commonly used. Sorry for being a douche lol, but its kinda a pet peeve of mine.
Its just a phrase Mr. NEW ! Haha no worries
My brother initials would be C N . U sure yer not my bro. Last name Newhouser.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Steelstoned1972; 02-19-2014 at 01:41 PM.
Steelstoned1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:54 PM   #45
CNEW
Starter

Member Number: 25021
My Mood: Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelstoned1972 View Post
Its just a phrase Mr. NEW ! Haha no worries
My brother initials would be C N . U sure yer not my bro. Last name Newhouser.

Haha nahhh my last name is Newbrough, pronounced newbro. I legitimately thought you were tho when you first asked before I saw your last name, cause he's a pretty big stoner as your name implies lol.
CNEW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:57 PM   #46
Steelstoned1972
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNEW View Post
Haha nahhh my last name is Newbrough, pronounced newbro. I legitimately thought you were tho when you first asked before I saw your last name, cause he's a pretty big stoner as your name implies lol.
Lol.

Old 02-19-2014, 01:58 PM   #47
Steel_Bus_24
Team President

Member Number: 2886

If you go CB ahead of WR you also have to be sure your guy is going to be able to lockdown a guy like Evans or Lee......because the rats are likely wanting to give flacco his bailout option again where he can just throw it up and usually draw a penalty

Also Known as SteelerSpartan
Steel_Bus_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steel_Bus_24 For This Useful Post:
jtbsteeler (02-19-2014), Steelstoned1972 (02-19-2014)
Old 02-19-2014, 02:10 PM   #48
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 5,464 Times in 2,320 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Ian Rapoport says we're going to trade up for manziel
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fire Arians For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (02-19-2014), Hawaii 5-0 (02-19-2014), pczach (02-19-2014)
Old 02-19-2014, 02:47 PM   #49
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 9,334 Times in 3,986 Posts
My Mood: Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
Ian Rapoport says we're going to trade up for manziel
and if he says it then it must be true...
Old 02-19-2014, 04:47 PM   #50
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24694
Thanked 7,271 Times in 2,978 Posts
My Mood: Goofy

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
Thinking that one has hit the jackpot, only to find out that you had actually only bought a lemon is known as "The Mike Adams Effect"... which is a subset of "The Limas Sweed Syndrome."
Everyone knows Mike Adams is a bust.....Never mention his name again. He's dead to me.

Stick that in your optimistic pipe Sunshine!

pczach is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pczach For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (02-19-2014), Hawaii 5-0 (02-19-2014), teegre (02-19-2014)