Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 05-21-2014, 12:25 AM   #581
Lady Steel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 16396
Thanked 5,085 Times in 1,969 Posts
My Mood: Angelic
Default Re: Timing right for Steelers to draft tall WR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
Do you think Big Ben could influence coaches decision on how much to play Bryant?

@ScottBrown_ESPN: His comfort level with Martavis Bryant will certainly be a factor in how much the rookie plays in 2014. Ben Roethlisberger has to develop trust in his new wide receiver and the confidence that he is on the same page with them. The fact Roethlisberger called Bryant 10 minutes after the Steelers drafted the Clemson product shows how excited he is to add a tall, fast wide receiver to the offense. And wide receivers coach Richard Mann has talked about the benefits of a having a tall wide receiver when inside the opponents’ 20-yard line. Certainly there is an opportunity for Bryant to carve out a role as a rookie, but he will have to earn it. And the best way to do that is to earn the trust of his quarterback.

http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-s...espnapi_public
In Ben we trust.
Lady Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lady Steel For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (05-21-2014), Hawaii 5-0 (05-21-2014)
Old 05-21-2014, 05:37 AM   #582
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 7,966 Times in 3,375 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
So Sweed was the outlier
he seemed pretty honest to me
Hawaii 5-0 (05-21-2014)
Old 05-22-2014, 12:59 AM   #583
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 9,340 Times in 3,988 Posts
My Mood: Cool

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter: May 20

And one more WR on an expiring contract: Baltimore's Torrey Smith. Some WRs will be re-signed but no way all will.

More WRs in last year of their deal: Demaryius Thomas, Reggie Wayne, Jeremy Maclin, Hakeem Nicks. Makes 2015 an all-time WR free-agent class

WRs scheduled to be free agents after this season include: Dez Bryant, Michael Crabtree, Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, Roddy White, Wes Welker

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/with_replies
Old 05-31-2014, 06:46 PM   #584
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 9,340 Times in 3,988 Posts
My Mood: Cool

Derek Moye hoping to use height in a more productive way

May 31, 2014

Derek Moye pulls in a pass at Steelers practice Wednesday on the South Side.

Two minutes remained in the first half of the game against the Cincinnati Bengals Sept. 16, 2013 when Steelers wide receiver Derek Moye snagged his first NFL touchdown pass, a 1-yard rainbow in the back of the end zone from quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

The touchdown tied the score, 10-10, but the Steelers eventually lost, 20-10, as they slogged toward a disappointing 8-8 record.

Moye played in seven games in 2013. This year, he is hoping he can beat out some new receivers and retain a job.

"To be honest, it doesn't really matter who else is on the roster," Moye said earlier this week amid organized team activities (OTAs) at the South Side training facility. "I've got to play well, and, if I don't, no matter who or who isn't on the roster, I won't be here."

At the end of 2013, Moye, at 6 feet 5, was the only receiver on the roster taller than 6-1. Now, he finds himself looking up -- on the depth chart.

After losing receivers Emmanuel Sanders and Jerricho Cotchery in free agency, free agents Darrius Heyward-Bey and Lance Moore as well as fourth-round draft pick Martavis Bryant were brought in to help offset the departures and improve an offense that ranked 20th in the league in yards per game.

Moye, a Rochester Area High School graduate, recently traveled to Newport Beach, Calif., with Roethlisberger and receivers Markus Wheaton and Justin Brown to train and improve route-running and timing.

"Moye is getting so good," Steelers running back Le'Veon Bell said. "Even last year, I saw him getting better and better each and every week. I'm excited to see Moye, too. He's a bigger receiver, a tall receiver.

"He can go up and get it and he can run. I'm definitely excited to see him."

Though Bryant, a 6-4 receiver from Clemson, has been mentioned as a potential starter this season, Moye still will be given the chance to earn a roster spot despite the lack of production in 2013.

He was active for seven games, caught two passes and was targeted only six times. He also dropped a Roethlisberger pass in end zone Oct. 20 against the Baltimore Ravens, a game the Steelers eventually won.

Moye's career at Penn State was distinguished enough to get him a look in the NFL. He finished his Penn State career as the school's third all-time receiving yards leader (2,395). He had eight touchdowns and 885 receiving yards as a junior.

Originally signed as an undrafted free agent by Miami in May 2012, Moye ended up on the Steelers practice squad by the end of that season. He made the Steelers 53-man roster out of training camp last year.

Moye, listed at 210 pounds, said he has added about 4 pounds since last spring. He said being in the Steelers system for a year has made it a lot easier and, when hearing a play in the huddle, he can execute his route instead of thinking about it.

"Last year, when I played well in the preseason and I got a few chances in the season, I showed it wasn't just a fluke," he said. "I'm looking forward to gaining from the performances of last year and carry them into this season and, hopefully, getting a shot to play a bigger role with this team."

Even though Antonio Brown is the only returning receiver who took a significant number of snaps last season, Moye said he has worked with special-teams coordinator Danny Smith in a bid to enhance his value and chances of making the team.

"Martavis, he has the size and speed, but, you know, I feel like I have the size and speed and the ability to go up and get the ball, as well," Moye said.

"Really, I think I'm a pretty complete receiver. I'm just going to try and carry it over to the field."

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...#ixzz33KgIMbH9