Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 02-24-2014, 08:33 PM   #81
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 11,456 Times in 4,809 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful
Default Re: Timing right for Steelers to draft tall WR

Steelers: Latest Combine News and Rumors

By Curt Popejoy , Featured Columnist Feb 23, 2014

Going into Sunday's drills, Texas A&M wide receiver Mike Evans was on various teams' radars. The hope was going to be that Evans would run well enough to cement a position somewhere near the top of the first round. For as productive as Evans has been, and as great as his size is, it was his speed that was in question.

And just how did he do? Pittsburgh Post-Gazette writer Gerry Dulac might have said it best:

Gerry Dulac @Gerrydulac:

Uh-oh for #Steelers: Texas A&M WR Mike Evans runs unofficial 4.46 at combine. At 6-5, 231, that speed puts him in elite status.

23 Feb 2014

Dulac also pointed out in an interview with Bleacher Report that Evans would be a potential target for the Steelers in the first round.

Between Evans and Florida State wide receiver Kelvin Benjamin, Evans is a far more complete prospect. His speed is better, and in drills at the combine Evans looked far smoother and more fluid in his movements. His performance on Sunday might have pushed him ahead of where the Steelers select, but he would certainly be a target if available.

If the Steelers are as smitten with Evans as everyone else, getting him could require a trade up. This is a very deep wide receiver class, and talent can be found later on. A move up high enough to get Evans would be expensive. Do the Steelers do something so bold?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...-rumors/page/3
Hawaii 5-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hawaii 5-0 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-24-2014)
Old 02-24-2014, 08:42 PM   #82
emarines
Team Captain

Member Number: 25461

watkins and evans are gone before the steelers pick...so you guys better start falling in love with a middle rounds receiver! watkins and evans are gone before 15 and benjamin is a bit of a reach for 15 and gone before 47!
emarines is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to emarines For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-25-2014)
Old 02-25-2014, 02:54 PM   #83
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M

Mike Evans didn't have one of the faster official 40s (4.53), but that time was pretty impressive considering his large frame (6-5, 231 with 35 1/8-inch arms). Evans also thrived in the field drills, making some solid catches. Vincent Jackson comparisons were thrown around. It'll be a huge surprise if Evans makes it past the Steelers at No. 15. The Lions could easily take him with the 10th-overall selection.

http://walterfootball.com/combine2014stockWR.php
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hawaii 5-0 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-25-2014), Steelstoned1972 (02-25-2014)
Old 02-25-2014, 04:13 PM   #84
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
My Mood: Drunk

At the end of the day the Lions aren't known to do BPA and have so many needs in the secondary I think they'd pass on Evans for one of the CBs or Dix. The Rams at 13 could prove a problem but I think when you consider the needs of the teams in front of us and the players available they're our only obstacle, barring a trade-up from someone else behind us.
PhantomJB93 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PhantomJB93 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2014, 04:20 PM   #85
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomJB93 View Post
At the end of the day the Lions aren't known to do BPA and have so many needs in the secondary I think they'd pass on Evans for one of the CBs or Dix. The Rams at 13 could prove a problem but I think when you consider the needs of the teams in front of us and the players available they're our only obstacle, barring a trade-up from someone else behind us.
Then maybe we should trade up first?

I would like a tall WR threat, but I also believe that our defensive rebuild/reload should be a top priority. If they go WR, they'd better be right considering our holes on D.

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buddha Bus For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-25-2014), Sharkissle29 (02-25-2014)
Old 02-25-2014, 04:26 PM   #86
emarines
Team Captain

Member Number: 25461

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomJB93 View Post
watkins and evans both have to make it through 5 teams in the top ten with a legit wr need to even make it to us!
emarines is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to emarines For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2014, 05:38 PM   #87
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
My Mood: Drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by emarines View Post
watkins and evans both have to make it through 5 teams in the top ten with a legit wr need to even make it to us!
Watkins will be gone for sure, but with all the QB's (Manziel, Bridgewater, Bortles), pass rushers (Clowney, Mack, Barr), and OT's (Matthews, Robinson, maybe Lewan) in the top ten that will still be above Evans on teams' boards, he'll make it at the very least to the Lions at 10 pretty easily. From there I don't think it's that unlikely he slips to us, but then we're the first of like 5 teams in a row that would probably select him in a heartbeat.
PhantomJB93 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PhantomJB93 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2014, 05:47 PM   #88
BLACK_AND_YELLOW
Team President

Member Number: 18312
Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,186 Posts
My Mood: Grumpy

Tbh I still think Evans could fall to us, this draft is deep at WR and teams know that so they could just pass on him thinking they can get a WR in rounds 2-3 making him fall to us. The draft is always full of surprises.

Like SC said I'm not really sold on Evans but damn he really surprised me at the combine.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:35 PM   #89
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

WR Bryant could be a fit for Steelers

February, 24, 2014
By Scott Brown | ESPN.com

PITTSBURGH -- The Pittsburgh Steelers almost certainly won't get a chance to draft Sammy Watkins.

But the other wide receiver from Clemson could be a possibility in the second round if the Steelers address a different position with the 15th overall pick.

WR Martavis Bryant finished his three-year Clemson career with 1,354 yards and 13 touchdowns.

ESPN draft analysts Steve Muench and Kevin Weidl wrote that Martavis Bryant was among the wide receivers who helped themselves at the NFL combine, and indeed he posted impressive measurables across the board.

Bryant checked in at 6-4 and 211 pounds, and he ran an official 40-yard dash time of 4.42 seconds, tied for fifth and a tick better than the more celebrated Watkins.

Bryant further flashed his athleticism by tying for sixth among wide receivers in the vertical jump (39 inches) and tying for eighth in the broad jump (10 feet, 4 inches).

Bryant dealt with a few focus drops throughout the season, and being more of straight-line receiver, he wasn't an ideal fit within the Clemson offense. However, he has an intriguing skill set that translates well and could bring strong return in the fringe Day 2 range for teams like the Ravens, Steelers, Lions and Panthers who are looking for a vertical threat to team up with a strong-armed quarterback.

Bryant appears to have a ton of upside, and he set a Clemson record by averaging 22.2 yards per reception during his career. But he played sparingly his first two seasons at Clemson and didnít start until 2013 when he caught 42 passes for 828 yards and seven touchdowns.

Questions teams such as the Steelers will have to answer when evaluating Bryant: Did his supreme physical skills not translate into more production at Clemson because he was overshadowed by DeAndre Hopkins, a first-round pick last year, and Watkins?

Also is Bryantís best football ahead of him or are his measurables more of a tease than an indicator of success in the NFL?

Bryant, who has been training with Pro Football Hall of Famer Cris Carter in Florida, was asked by reporters in Indianapolis what strengths he will take to the next level.

"Great speed off the ball. Good hands," he said. "I love to run past defenses after catching the ball."

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/pos...t-for-steelers
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hawaii 5-0 For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (02-26-2014), emarines (02-25-2014), harrison'samonster (02-25-2014)
Old 02-25-2014, 08:51 PM   #90
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,155 Times in 580 Posts

Steelers need a deep threat who can get position. They have enough speed recievers. We also need a red zone threat in the worst way. Evans is the guy. If he is there at 15, you get him, if he isnt, than its fine to settle on Bryant in the 2nd if need be.
OX1947 is online now   Reply With Quote