Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 03-07-2014, 12:55 PM   #41
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 10,406 Times in 4,445 Posts
My Mood: Mellow
Default Re: Was Steve McLendon That Bad? And What About Louis Nix?

2014 NFL Draft: Matt Miller's Scouting Notebook

By Matt Miller , NFL Draft Lead Writer Mar 6, 2014

DT Louis Nix, Notre Dame

Nix could move up my board if only because of his Twitter account (more on that later), but his play is something I wanted to recheck after talking to scouts at the combine.

Nix looked slow, stiff and not as explosive in 2013 when I first went through his snaps. "Look again and remember teams are scheming for him and that he's hurt" is what I was told by one team official. So I did. And he's right.

Nix was asked too often to be a two-gapping anchor, when he's capable of more. It's always tough to differentiate between what a player does in college vs. what a player can potentially do in the NFL, but Nix's athleticism wasn't fully utilized this season. He may never be Dontari Poe, but he can be a very good one-gapping (or two-gapping) defensive tackle in the NFL.

Current ranking: No. 27

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...uting-notebook
Old 03-07-2014, 01:04 PM   #42
kent
Bench Warmer

Speed Racer Champion! Big Truck Adventures 3 Champion! Bejeweled Champion! Chain Reaction - Newgrounds Champion!
Member Number: 24510

There is fewer and fewer amounts of blue chip DTs now because this is a passing league now. Even if Nix reaches his highest potential (which I think is doubtful) he still is not going to help stop/slow down Manning, Brady, and Luck come playoff time. A shutdown corner or playmaking safety will do that. There is too much talent at numerous positions in the first round to draft Nix IMO.
kent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kent For This Useful Post:
lipps83 (03-20-2014)
Old 03-07-2014, 06:38 PM   #43
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Draft a nose, sign one in free agency or stand pat with Steve McLendon?

Ray Fittipaldo

Some thoughts to ponder over the weekend before the start of free agency on Tuesday:

The Steelers might have a little money to spend on free agents. The key word there is little. They could have as much as $7 million if the release cornerback Ike Taylor, less if they ask him to take a pay cut. They might have more if they come to terms on a long-term deal with Jason Worilds.

With that money, the Steelers would like to re-sign receiver Jerricho Cotchery and they are thin at defensive end and corner, if they release Taylor. They also need to get a reserve offensive lineman or two under contract and perhaps a running back. One or two of those needs could be filled through the draft, but not all of them.

Many fans seem to be enthralled with the idea of signing a nose tackle in free agency. Some of the questions I get asked the most during recent chats is whether the Steelers would dip into free agency for a nose.

The idea behind such a move would mean Steve McLendon, the starter at nose last season, would move to defensive end, where the Steelers are currently thin.

The two names most often floated by fans are Miamiís Paul Soliai and Baltimore Terrence Cody. Of the two, Soliai is the better player, but he can be crossed off the wish list because his agent told the Florida Sun-Sentinel that heís looking for an upgrade over the two-year $12 million dollar contract he just completed with the Dolphins.

The Steelers, even after they decide to restructure or terminate Ike Taylor and/or LaMarr Woodley, would not be in position to pay a nose tackle, say, $7 million per season on a multi-year deal. And if they did it would have to be a deal with a low base salary with high cap hits in future years. That seems unlikely. Plus, heís 30 years old.

Cody is a more realistic option, but would he really be an upgrade over McLendon? At 6 feet and 360 pounds, Cody is the more typical 3-4 nose tackle. He is bigger than McLendon, who was listed last season at 285 pounds. McLendon actually played at a heavier weight but nothing approaching 360 pounds.

Cody is a former second round pick out of Alabama. He was a starter in 2011 but has been relegated to backup duty behind Haloti Ngata the past two seasons. He would be relatively cheap on the free agent market, but the Steelers would be taking a chance on someone elseís backup, a player who has not been a starter in the league for two years. Plus, he missed four games last season with an injury.

The Steelers would have to be convinced that Cody was stuck behind an All-Pro and not an underachiever who was only able to get on the field for 240 snaps last season. Considering the amount of time he played last season that would be a hard one to figure out for the pro scouts.

Another option could be drafting and developing a nose tackle. It might not be Louis Nix in the first round, but drafting a player might make the most sense considering the cap situation the Steelers are currently in. Itís harder finding a player ready to step in and play after round 1, but it could be an option.

Or they could simply stand pat and go with McLendon, who was signed to a contract last year that pays him $2.45 million next season, the highest for any defensive linemen on the roster. McLendon started for the first time and Steelers could hope he improves by next season after learning the ropes.

http://sportsblogs.post-gazette.com/...s/201403070004
Old 03-15-2014, 02:52 AM   #44
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Advocating a Hampton-like nose tackle is advocating McLendon's ouster

By Jack Finn on Mar 14 2014

Alan Robinson tweets that "multiple" Steelers players believe a "Casey Hampton-type" player could help improve the Steelers declining run defense. This indicates these players believe Steve Mclendon can't get the job done at Nose Tackle.

Alan Robinson of the Pittsburgh Tribune review tweeted Thursday night that several Steelers players told him a "Casey Hampton-type space eater" could help improve the Steelers run defense.

After being known as one of the best run stuffing units in the league over the last decade, The Steelers run defense took a bit of a nose dive in 2013, giving up uncharacteristically big yardage per game as well as allowing game changing long runs from the likes of Adrian Peterson, Matt Forte and Daniel Thomas. Yes, Daniel Thomas who?

One of the lightning rods for run defense criticism has been new nose tackle Steve McLendon. Some would argue that he is not as big as a nose tackle should be, and therefore not able to perform the role of the gap-eating behemoth we usually associate with the nose tackle position in the Steelers 3-4 defense.

In contrast, McLendon's predecessor, Casey Hampton, was the archetype gap-eating behemouth, and anchored a great Steelers run defense for over a decade. The principal criticism against McLendon is that he is not Hampton, which is both obvious and unfair, because Hampton is one of the best nose tackles of all time.

But it is fair to say McLendon does not play like Hampton, he is not as strong nor does he frequently occupy multiple blockers the way Hampton use too, and some attribute this as the main factor in the decline of the run defense.

Of course McLendon has his supporters too, and the issue has been hotly debated over the course of the season and into the off-season.

However, if what Robinson says is true, and he has no real reason to lie, then it appears "several" Steelers players also attribute McLendon's inability to eat up multiple blockers as a large source of the problem. If they are advocating for a "Casey Hampton-type space eater" then they are also advocating the replacement of Steve McLendon.

Robinson didn't specify how many players actually said this, he only said "multiple players", but even a few is enough to be seen as a damning criticism of Mclendon's job at Nose Tackle. If the players you're playing with don't think you can get the job done, then something is wrong.

The Steelers are hosting Nose Tackle Cam Thomas today, and with their lack of depth along the defensive line it would seem likely they look to address both the defensive end and nose tackle position in the draft.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...ve-run-defense

Last edited by Hawaii 5-0; 03-15-2014 at 03:09 AM.
Hawaii 5-0 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hawaii 5-0 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (03-15-2014)
Old 03-15-2014, 07:18 AM   #45
SteelerJT
Team President

Member Number: 25777
Thanked 3,570 Times in 1,743 Posts

If anyone of those "Steelers players" happen to be on the defenese, maybe they should take a long hard look in the mirror before scapegoating anyone else.

Also, "He has no real reason to lie?" Is that a joke? He's obviously never heard of some of the finer sports reporters like Ian Rapoport.
SteelerJT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 07:35 PM   #46
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,871 Times in 936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
Advocating a Hampton-like nose tackle is advocating McLendon's ouster

By Jack Finn on Mar 14 2014

Alan Robinson tweets that "multiple" Steelers players believe a "Casey Hampton-type" player could help improve the Steelers declining run defense. This indicates these players believe Steve Mclendon can't get the job done at Nose Tackle.

Alan Robinson of the Pittsburgh Tribune review tweeted Thursday night that several Steelers players told him a "Casey Hampton-type space eater" could help improve the Steelers run defense.
After being known as one of the best run stuffing units in the league over the last decade, The Steelers run defense took a bit of a nose dive in 2013, giving up uncharacteristically big yardage per game as well as allowing game changing long runs from the likes of Adrian Peterson, Matt Forte and Daniel Thomas. Yes, Daniel Thomas who?

One of the lightning rods for run defense criticism has been new nose tackle Steve McLendon. Some would argue that he is not as big as a nose tackle should be, and therefore not able to perform the role of the gap-eating behemoth we usually associate with the nose tackle position in the Steelers 3-4 defense.

In contrast, McLendon's predecessor, Casey Hampton, was the archetype gap-eating behemouth, and anchored a great Steelers run defense for over a decade. The principal criticism against McLendon is that he is not Hampton, which is both obvious and unfair, because Hampton is one of the best nose tackles of all time.

But it is fair to say McLendon does not play like Hampton, he is not as strong nor does he frequently occupy multiple blockers the way Hampton use too, and some attribute this as the main factor in the decline of the run defense.

Of course McLendon has his supporters too, and the issue has been hotly debated over the course of the season and into the off-season.

However, if what Robinson says is true, and he has no real reason to lie, then it appears "several" Steelers players also attribute McLendon's inability to eat up multiple blockers as a large source of the problem. If they are advocating for a "Casey Hampton-type space eater" then they are also advocating the replacement of Steve McLendon.

Robinson didn't specify how many players actually said this, he only said "multiple players", but even a few is enough to be seen as a damning criticism of Mclendon's job at Nose Tackle. If the players you're playing with don't think you can get the job done, then something is wrong.
The Steelers are hosting Nose Tackle Cam Thomas today, and with their lack of depth along the defensive line it would seem likely they look to address both the defensive end and nose tackle position in the draft.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...ve-run-defense
It appears that "several Steelers players" have been reading my posts on this forum, OR they just know that the guy in their locker room isn't as good of a NT as they need to start on their defense.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:44 PM   #47
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Mike Tomlin blocking Louis Nix at Notre Dame's Pro Day:

Old 03-20-2014, 07:19 PM   #48
Steelstoned1972
UNLEASHING HELL SINCE '72
Supporter

Member Number: 16903
Thanked 2,653 Times in 1,548 Posts
My Mood: Psychedelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
Mike Tomlin blocking Louis Nix at Notre Dame's Pro Day:

If Tomlin can block him, I definitely don't want him lol ! :-)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
harrison'samonster (03-20-2014), teegre (03-20-2014)
Old 03-20-2014, 09:11 PM   #49
Born2Steel
Starter

Member Number: 25772
My Mood: Relaxed

I would rather get a FA nose tackle and draft one in a later round if it means we get a stud DB or LB. I don't know how you take Nix at 15 instead of waiting til the 3rd/4th and get McCullars or comparable. Someone said in an earlier post that there just aren't stud NTs available usually. I just don't believe there's one in this draft either. If that was all this defense was lacking, was someone to eat up space in the middle and force teams to take it outside, then maybe I would feel different about our 1st round pick. But, IMO, we gotta get a pass rush and competent in the secondary first.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:13 PM   #50
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
I would rather get a FA nose tackle
we did, Cam Thomas from the Chargers...