Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 09-04-2006, 07:27 AM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Cook: Steelers should be able to win with Batch

Cook: Steelers should be able to win with Batch
Monday, September 04, 2006

By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

It's not as if Charlie Batch has to beat the Miami Dolphins by himself. That's the good news this morning. His offensive linemen can help him in a big way. They need to keep him clean Thursday night and open holes for Willie Parker. The receivers have to get open and catch his passes. Hines Ward will be among them. He returned to practice yesterday and appears to be healthy again, so not everything was lost on this dreary Sunday. Then, there's the defense, led by Joey Porter, the NFL's most feared player -- or so some are saying. It can shut down the Dolphins. You can't lose if you don't give up any points.

"We'll rally around Charlie," Steelers coach Bill Cowher said last night, a few hours after Batch officially became the team's starting quarterback -- at least for the opener against the Dolphins and almost certainly in the second game in Jacksonville Sept. 18 -- because of Ben Roethlisberger's emergency appendectomy.

Or, as Ward put it, "Yes, it's a big blow to us, but the show must go on. We can't cancel these two games just because Ben is out. Charlie is our quarterback now and we've got to find a way to stay afloat."

If there has been a trademark of Cowher's teams over the years, it has been their ability to deal with adversity. You only have to go back to last season to see that. The Steelers played four games without Roethlisberger and survived. They played four and part of a fifth without Marvel Smith, their big left tackle, and stumbled but somehow didn't fall. They even overcame a three-game losing streak that left them with a 7-5 record and virtually no chance of making the playoffs.

So it should come as no surprise that Cowher jutted out that big jaw a little more than usual when he announced Roethlisberger's surgery.

"Nobody is asking for any pity and nobody is going to make any excuses," he said. "This is just another challenge."

It's believed Cowher delivered that same message to his players.

It didn't hurt, but, with this group, it probably was unnecessary.

"If we felt sorry for ourselves," tackle Max Starks said, "we never would have made it as far as we did last season."

All the way to Detroit for Super Bowl XL and that confetti shower.

And now?

This challenge is a doozy.

If you had said 21/2 months ago, after the horrific event of June 12, that Roethlisberger would miss the opener, no one would have been surprised. But Big Ben shrugged off his motorcycle accident and subsequent facial surgery to make a remarkable recovery. He showed up at training camp on time and did everything. Offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt said there was a night-and-day difference between his performance this summer and last. His game was that much better, that much sharper. He knew the offense inside out. He couldn't wait to show the world against the Dolphins.

And an appendectomy knocks him out? Four days before the big game?

"I figure he'll be just fine after this," Starks said, "because he has to be owed a little good luck, you know?"

Batch knows.

"You just feel horrible for him," he said. "You hope he continues to be a fast healer and gets back soon."

But until then ...

"I'm the guy," Batch said. "I'm just glad I found out when I did. At least I'll get three practices in this week [with the first offense]. That's huge."

Everybody from Whisenhunt to Ward to center Jeff Hartings said the Steelers had one of their better practices yesterday. There was no moping. Cowher wouldn't allow it. Ward, Hartings and the other veterans wouldn't allow it.

"You never like to see the backup quarterback play because that means the starter is out, but we're lucky to have Charlie," said Hartings, who played with Batch for three seasons with the Detroit Lions. "He's healthier now than he's been since he's been here and he's throwing the ball better than I've ever seen him."

"Why should we feel sorry for ourselves?" Ward asked. "Charlie started two games last season and we won 'em both. He can win a couple more."

It's not Batch's first rodeo, not by a long shot. He played extensively in the four exhibition games, prompting Cowher to say, "It's not like he's going to be rusty at all." He also started 46 games for the Lions and played well enough at one point for the team to hand him an $11 million signing bonus. His time in Detroit didn't end well, but that was about his lame supporting cast as much as it was about him.

Which brings us back to Ward, the Steelers' offensive linemen and the rest.

"We really do have to rally around Charlie and make plays for him," Ward said.

At that moment, Porter wasn't available for comment. A team spokesman said he was in the weight room, lifting, building up the amazing body that's on the cover of this week's Sports Illustrated for all to see.

Hopefully, for the Steelers' sake, while Porter was at it, he also was getting a little meaner.

The team will need it Thursday night.

Batch will appreciate it.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06247/718960-87.stm
Old 09-04-2006, 08:19 AM   #2
43Hitman
BACON!!
Supporter

Member Number: 1251
My Mood: Cool
Default Re: Cook: Steelers should be able to win with Batch

Nice read thanks for sharing.

The Steelers no doubt will be ready for the fins on Thursday. I am looking forward to seeing the defense go off on Culpepper & company. I really think they are going to rise up in this game for the offense. We will also see Willie run hard and Ward catching everything thrown to him. Hartings, Faneca, Simmons, and Starks won't let anything happen to Batch.

So here's a cyber beer to the Steelers and thier victory on Thurs.

"Football is a physical game, or at least it used to be" -Mel Blount
43Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 08:28 AM   #3
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217

This defense is gonna come out like a freakin pack of wolves Thursday night....

Culpepper saw NOTHING llike this in the preseason...I guarantee you that...

No NFL team responds to adversity the way we do....the Steelers thrive on it....I'm feeling better by the hour about this game....
Old 09-04-2006, 10:43 AM   #4
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717

as long as he doesnt throw an interception than i think his type of accuracy will win us our first game.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:51 AM   #5
43Hitman
BACON!!
Supporter

Member Number: 1251
My Mood: Cool

Interceptions happen to all Qb's. It's the stupid mistakes you have to limit. If he doesn't get happy feet (which I highly doubt he will) and throw into double and triple coverage like Maddox did he will be fine. He needs to rely on the talent around him and just do his job.

"Football is a physical game, or at least it used to be" -Mel Blount
43Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 02:16 PM   #6
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

The odds of a Miami win have improved for sure but i'd still make the Steelers slight favorites - even though the bookies dont agree.

There are certainly some question marks about the Pittsburgh offense - how will Willie respond to teams gameplanning specifically for him, will the O-line be able to up its game to give Batch a little more time.....etc etc..

But I still believe that Miami as a team, and specifically as an offense have alot of unanswered questions beginning with a QB in a new environment, with new teammates and returning from a fairly serious injury.

I thought this would be a low scoring game with Ben behind centre - I think so even more now.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 02:30 PM   #7
SteelCzar76
Banned

Member Number: 2498

I don't question "China's" (Batch) ability to manage a game for us,......it's his ability to stay on the field for four quarters that i'm slightly pressed about. With that said,...i'm a firm believer in "I don't have problems,...only solutions". We should be fine if we create turnovers, control the line of scrimmage, and Willie does his thing.

"Hail Caesar,.....Hail the Black and Gold"
SteelCzar76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 11:17 PM   #8
70c10
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1866

Batch is decent.
70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 02:49 PM   #9
SteelerFanInCA
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 875

Nice read. I feel the same way. We can still win with Batch.
SteelerFanInCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 04:09 PM   #10
floodcitygirl
Team Owner

Member Number: 1784

Of course we can win with Batch. The Steeler organization has never been about one player.....we're a team!!!!!

Thanks to MeanJoe for surprising me with my new sig.
floodcitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote