Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 02-20-2014, 08:53 AM   #11
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,980 Times in 1,928 Posts
My Mood: Fine
Default Re: Keep or Sell: Pittsburgh Steelers Free Agents

5% could be the difference in keeping a leader like Da Beard and/or having a better shot at a FA move or retaining Jasom Warlord

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steelfury02 For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (02-24-2014)
Old 02-20-2014, 09:00 AM   #12
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 20,807 Times in 8,650 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Keep: Jasom Worilds
Sell: Jason Woirlds
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (02-24-2014), Hawaii 5-0 (02-27-2014), steelfury02 (02-20-2014)
Old 02-20-2014, 12:59 PM   #13
jiminpa
Team Captain

Member Number: 20511

Brett Keisel has not deteriorated so much as to be as bad a Ziggy Hood. How many people had to play out of position to keep offenses from just running right over top of Ziggy? Ziggy, David Johnson and Dwyer should all be watching next season from the comfort of their own living rooms. I'm not saying that they will, but they should.

I agree that it may be time for Keisel to see fewer reps, but he doesn't seem to be one of those fall off of the cliff types.
jiminpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:34 PM   #14
pittpete
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5301

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddle_Of_Steel View Post
I agree with pretty much the consensus on this thread, but I do think we should keep Hood.

For one, he is not as bad as everyone thinks. He replaced Aaron Smith and we still stayed in the top five for run defense for the most part from 2009 - 2012. Aaron Smith is a once in a generation kind of player, and impossible to duplicate.

Our run defense didn't really fall off a cliff this year until we lost Larry Foote, who was replaced by a struggling rookie, and we lost Casey Hampton, who was replaced by guys who should be playing DT or DE in a 4-3.

Hood is an average to good DE, IMHO, and should be retained if we can keep him for relatively cheap. We have too many needs this offseason on defense to have to keep redrafting defensive line positions every two years.
Larry played part of 1 game, i don't understand what you mean?
Casey Hampton graded out worse in 2012 the McLendon did against the run in 2013.
Since i despise Hood, i key on him a lot during games.
He doesn't stand his ground, and is pushed around all too often.
He lost his job to Heyward because even our coaching staff realized how ineffective he was. Will Hood become the new David Johnson of defensive lineman. I hope not.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:46 PM   #15
DanRooney
Banned

Member Number: 16248

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
Larry played part of 1 game, i don't understand what you mean?
Casey Hampton graded out worse in 2012 the McLendon did against the run in 2013.
Since i despise Hood, i key on him a lot during games.
He doesn't stand his ground, and is pushed around all too often.
He lost his job to Heyward because even our coaching staff realized how ineffective he was. Will Hood become the new David Johnson of defensive lineman. I hope not.
Casey Hampton graded out worse in the last year of his career than a 'DE' in his prime?! Cray.

Evander lost his job for being a very average to mediocre DE for THREE YEARS. Now Heyward is going to demand big $$$ after next season.
DanRooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:50 PM   #16
DanRooney
Banned

Member Number: 16248

I wouldn't really care either way if we lost all of those guy but I would personally keep Worilds (with a fair contract), Allen, Cotchery (1 year deal), Wallace/Velasco, and Howling (iffy).
DanRooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:03 PM   #17
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 11,035 Times in 4,679 Posts
My Mood: Aggressive

by Ed Bouchette

A primer on #Steelers 3 UFAs at defensive end and the difficult decisions they must make at a thin position.

Brett Keisel has the best resume and played the best of the bunch last season. But he will turn 36 on Sept. 19. Do you offer him a one-year deal at the veteran minimum, a Charlie Batch-like contract known as the veteran “minimum salary benefit.’’ As such, Keisel could receive $955,000 in salary but count only as much as a second-year player’s minimum salary of $570,000 under the salary cap. The team also could pay him a bonus of no more than $65,000 under that benefit, but his cap hit would rise to $635,000 if they did, and Keisel would earn a total of $1.09 million.

Ziggy Hood, in his fifth season with the Steelers, earned a $715,000 salary last season and counted $2,990,860 against their cap, according to sportrac.com. Al Woods counted $630,000 in salary and cap hit.

Woods began his NFL career as a fourth-round draft choice by the new Orleans Saints in 2010 from LSU. He has bounced around since then, never sticking with the Saints but playing for Tampa Bay in 2010, the Steelers and then Seattle in 2011 and finally the Steelers the past two seasons. He played all 16 games last season with two starts and two sacks.

Ziggy Hood, of course, was their first-round draft choice in 2009 who has not lived up to their expectations. But he was a starter since 2010 before he lost that job to Heyward last season, when his starts dipped to seven but he played in all 16 games with three sacks.

Because of his experience and his resume as a first-round pick, I would expect Hood to attract more interest in free agency than Woods. I would not expect the Steelers to make Hood an offer until perhaps he hits free agency, and then only if he receives no big offers elsewhere.

Woods is a more intriguing prospect. If you believe in the ratings of Pro Football Focus, that site gave Hood its lowest overall rating of any of their defensive players – minus 14.0; the lowest of any of their defenders against the run – minus 7.5, and their lowest rating of any of their players in pass rush – minus 10.6.

Woods, who played in roughly one-third of the plays as Hood, came in at 0.9, plus 2.6 and minus 0.8 on those three ratings.

Make your choice. Try to sign one, two or ignore them all?

http://sulia.com/channel/pittsburgh-...factor=desktop
Old 02-24-2014, 03:49 PM   #18
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Plaxico Burress: I didn't want him to begin with, so.....

Jerricho Cotchery: Keep. He's a solid veteran and we'll already be losing Sanders. Even if we draft a rookie WR, it's doubtful he'd contribute much year one outside of special teams.

Emmanuel Sanders: Sell. He really hasn't proven himself worthy of a big contract and is not much more than a slot receiver. Somebody will pay him #2 WR money, but it shouldn't be us.

Jonathan Dwyer: Keep. I like what he showed when given opportunities this season. He worked hard and got in shape. Being cut seems to have lit a fire under his ass. If he comes into camp overweight again, just cut him again.

Felix Jones: Sell. He looked good in the preseason at times, but did virtually nothing during the regular season. I'm sure we can do better.

LaRod Stephens-Howling: Maybe. It was a shame he got hurt and didn't play much. He looked good in preseason and I felt he may have made some nice contributions to the team. Unfortunately, he was derailed early. I wouldn't be against giving him another shot at the right price and as long as he's healthy.

David Johnson: Sell. I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt, but he just hasn't proven anything. Another guy I feel we can easily replace.

Michael Palmer: Sell. See above.

Fernando Velasco: Keep. We'd be stupid to not try to retain Velasco if he's willing and it doesn't break the bank. He was one of our best o-linemen last year after we picked him up. Another year on the team should make him even more comfortable and familiar. I'd even be willing to ship Pouncey out to keep him.

Cody Wallace: Keep. Another guy who stepped up when called upon last year. He's another reason why I think Pouncey is expendable.

Guy Whimper: Sell. We can do better. Nothing special.

Ziggy Hood: Maybe. He'd have to come cheap and possibly accept a backup role though. It wouldn't crush me if we let him walk though.

Brett Keisel: Maybe. At vet minimum, I think it'd be OK to retain Keisel. He could further groom Heyward and possibly a rookie if we draft one. He doesn't need to be a starter for us, but his vet leadership could be huge for us. We have been lacking in leadership and I think it's a big reason why we've struggled the last 2 years. Keisel showed some fire, even if his body is beginning to betray him. I'm leaning towards keeping at the vet min though.

Al Woods: Keep. I like Woods. He's a diamond in the rough. I'd start him over Keisel or Hood.

Stevenson Sylvester: Sell. He just never lived up to the potential he showed early in his career. He's a good special teamer, but not much more. Time to move on.

Jamaal Westerman: Sell. Who?

Jason Worilds: Keep. This is the biggest priority we should have. We are thin at LB right now (unless a couple of the newer guys step up) and we desperately need to keep him. Woodley can't be relied on anymore as he just can't get in the proper condition to sustain himself for a season. We are in for some trouble if Colbert and company can't find a way to re-sign him.

Will Allen: Keep. He was another valuable mid-season pickup and has played well for us. Until one of the young bucks steps up and takes the job away, we should keep him as insurance. We were lucky to be able to get him back from the Cowboys in the first place.

Ryan Clark: Sell. Thanks for the memories, Ryan! He played hard-nosed Steeler football the way it should be played, but he's done. He has another career waiting for him in broadcasting and already has one foot out the door anyway.

Mat McBriar: Sell. Another mediocre punter in a long line. We should have kept Kapinos.

Greg Warren: Maybe. Depends on his asking price. He is only a long snapper after all. He's been reliable, but can we find a cheaper, younger guy as an UDFA?

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buddha Bus For This Useful Post:
Hawaii 5-0 (02-24-2014)
Old 03-05-2014, 01:38 AM   #19
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 11,035 Times in 4,679 Posts
My Mood: Aggressive

James C Wexell ‏@jimwexell:

With Worilds in tow, #Steelers can turn to my numbers 2, 3 and 4 UFA priorities: Woods, Keisel and Cotchery.

UFA numbers 5-8 are Clark, Velasco, Whimper and Wallace.

https://twitter.com/jimwexell