Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2014 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-19-2014, 08:41 PM   #1
Kobethecat
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 25241
Default Should We Draft Logan Thomas?

If former Virginia Tech QB is available in rounds 3 or later should the Steelers draft him as a project for the future? This kid is raw but has crazy upside. We draft him, sit him , and maybe in 2016 he's ready depending on what happens with Ben. If Ben is still playing at a high level, he sits some more. Unless Thomas blows up at the combine he might be available in round 3/4/5 and he seems more suited for the NFL than Landry Jones. Just an idea.
Kobethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kobethecat For This Useful Post:
PhantomJB93 (02-20-2014)
Old 02-19-2014, 08:58 PM   #2
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 12,618 Times in 5,214 Posts
My Mood: Amazed
Default Re: Should We Draft Logan Thomas?

Logan Thomas is rated as a 7th round/FA prospect by NFLDraftScout.

why would we want to draft him in the 3rd round?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...nkings/2014/QB
Hawaii 5-0 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hawaii 5-0 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-20-2014), MDSteel15 (02-20-2014), SteelersCanada (02-19-2014)
Old 02-19-2014, 09:52 PM   #3
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 22,933 Times in 9,369 Posts
My Mood: Dead

The follow-up "trade BB" post coming, in 5... 4... 3...
teegre is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-20-2014), kan_t (02-19-2014), SteelersCanada (02-19-2014)
Old 02-19-2014, 09:59 PM   #4
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 11,040 Times in 4,579 Posts

Woah... 3rd rounder on Logan Thomas? Maybe a couple of years ago, but not now. Hell will have frozen over before we spend a third round pick on Thomas.

That being said, a seventh round flyer on him isn't a bad idea. Give Landry some competition again this year in camp. Last year he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, and drafting another Quarterback might force him to improve his game.

Thomas was ultimately one of the best players heading into the 2012 college football season, but then 2012 and 2013 happened. He was absolutely awful. While he possesses rare speed for his size, his arm needs work. He lacks NFL accuracy and touch, as well as ball placement. His pocket awareness is sub par and his ability to diagnose a defense is lacking. He's the definition of a developmental player. He's going to have to sit behind a franchise Quarterback for a few seasons and fix his game. All of that said, Mayock has made comments comparing Thomas to a (very, very) raw Cam Newton/Ben Roethlisberger hybrid type player.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-20-2014)
Old 02-19-2014, 10:03 PM   #5
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,245 Times in 3,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobethecat View Post
If former Virginia Tech QB is available in rounds 3 or later should the Steelers draft him as a project for the future? This kid is raw but has crazy upside. We draft him, sit him , and maybe in 2016 he's ready depending on what happens with Ben. If Ben is still playing at a high level, he sits some more. Unless Thomas blows up at the combine he might be available in round 3/4/5 and he seems more suited for the NFL than Landry Jones. Just an idea.
I may be biased since it was the only game I watched him play from beginning to end all year, but he had such crazy upside that Va Tech lost at home 13-10 while he threw 4 picks to a Duke team not renowned for mad athletic skills

Maybe he can be converted to offensive tackle
harrison'samonster (02-20-2014), Hawaii 5-0 (02-19-2014), tony hipchest (02-19-2014)
Old 02-19-2014, 10:12 PM   #6
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,554 Times in 3,980 Posts

@Atlanta Dan dropping "mad skillz" on Kobe le beouf.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:13 PM   #7
SteelReserve916
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 25093

There's not a chance in hell that Logan Thomas ends up on the Steelers. ZERO!

From the half-dozen times that I've seen Thomas play, he has been totally underwhelming, if not awful. Sub-par accuracy, average athleticism and below-average football IQ. He's a very poor man's Terrell Pryor, which isn't saying much.

As of now, pre-combine, I would prefer they take a chance on Gamecocks signal caller, Connor Shaw. He's currently projecting as a 6-7th round pick, or even an UDFA. I also wouldn't be upset if they used a 6th/7th round pick on LSU QB, Zach Mettenberger, if his injury causes him to fall.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:40 AM   #8
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
Thanked 1,035 Times in 494 Posts
My Mood: Drunk

Ok, here we go. Time for me to channel my inner Hokie on this site again...brace yourselves, because this is going to be a long post. Here goes...

I have watched every single snap of Logan Thomas's college career. The ups and the downs, I have been through them all. And there have been a hell of a lot of both over the last three years.

If you could physically construct the ideal franchise NFL quarterback, it is Logan Thomas. The man is a towering 6'6, 250. Absolute CANNON of an arm, his deep ball is BEAUTIFUL, I have no problem making the assertion that he has had the best deep ball in college football since he became a starter. He can make all the NFL throws. He has the size and strength to effortlessly throw off defenders in the pocket, much like another big QB we all know and love.

In terms of playing style, many compare him to Cam Newton or our own Ben Roethlisberger. Having watched him for so long, I can promise you he is much closer to the latter. He is a pass-first quarterback who has trouble with his progressions and decision-making. He has mobility in the pocket and running ability but I would strongly hesitate to call him an "elusive dual threat" QB in the sense Cam Newton is. He is a raw Ben Roethlisberger who can extend the play, but can run faster and with tremendous power. The fact that his playing style is so similar to Roethlisberger is one of the reasons I believe we should consider drafting him, Ben could really teach him and help him with a lot of things.

He trucks mofo's like no other; he is not particularly fast or agile running laterally, this is where the "Cam Newton" comparisons are off, but north-south he is an absolute tank and is nearly always a sure bet to plow forward for 2-3 tough yards or across the plane at the goal line. When he's playing well, he is a nearly unstoppable force and is incredibly fun to watch. His last run of his college career is pretty much all you need to see about his running ability:

And a couple highlights of his passing ability as well:

But he's not always playing well. In fact, more often than not in 2012 and 2013 he has been downright terrible. His decision making in 2012 was the worst I have ever seen in a quarterback, he just makes bad decisions in his reads and forces the ball into bad coverage very often. His mechanics aren't great but aren't the worst either, but while throwing on the run they completely break down and he makes terrible throws (this is a problem I think Ben could help fix as he is one of the most accurate throwers on the run I have ever seen). A ton of his turnovers come with pressure right in his face when he just throws the ball up for grabs somewhere. 2012 was the year that damned him and for some of early 2013 he was no better, but he did show remarkable improvement as this season went on, particularly the Georgia Tech, UNC, and Miami games, I believe he had a stretch of 3-4 games or so without a turnover which was a miracle considering what he went through.

To be fair, Logan has had as little talent as possible since David Wilson, Danny Coale, and Jarrett Boykin left after 2011. OL, RB, and WR have all been turnstiles in the Hokies offense for the better part of the last two years. Our receivers the first half of this season were TERRIBLE, people will point to Logan's putrid stat line in the Alabama game but I will promise you that if you watch that game from start to finish there are at least TEN dropped passes where Logan hit his receiver right in the hands/chest. We have had absolutely no semblance of a running game since David Wilson departed; I'm not exaggerating we have had a worse running game over the last two season than the Steelers. The offense has been ALL Logan, he's the only thing defenses have needed to worry about stopping.

Many Logan Thomas supporters will try and tell you he's a tight end who was forced to play the quarterback position. That is bullshit. Yes, he was recruited as one by many schools and yes, he has the physical ability that if he spent some time learning the position he could easily be a Gronk/Graham clone. But he is not. He played quarterback in high school, and he has been a quarterback since Day 1 at Virginia Tech. He has played exactly one snap at tight end in the last 7 years, which ironically was a beautiful one-handed touchdown catch on a fade route.

The real problem with Logan is simple: coaching. ALL of Logan's problems are mental. Virginia Tech's former offensive coordinator and quarterback coaches, Bryan Stinespring and Mike O'Cain who Logan had for 4 of his 5 years here were completely incompetent at their positions. They are single-handedly responsible for more bad things that have happened to the Hokies in recent years than probably the rest of the team combined. This year, we brought in Scot Loeffler (who coached Tom Brady, Chad Henne, Tebow, among others), and Logan said he learned more in the first month about the quarterback position from Loeffler than he had in his previous four years. If that doesn't tell you what the problem was, I don't know what will. Loeffler is human and could not completely overhaul all of Logan's problems in one season, but you could tell he made tremendous strides in his decision making and football knowledge over the course of the season that in previous years he just hadn't.

It is for these reasons that I truly believe that, in the right situation, with the right coaches, Logan will not only be successful in the NFL but will excel as a quarterback and fulfill the potential he never did at Virginia Tech. Truth be told, we screwed him up, bad, and I'll always wonder what could have been had we had more competent offensive coaching before his final year. It will take the right situation, as if the wrong team takes him and tries to force him to start early they'll ruin him and he'll be out of the league as fast as Limas Sweed, so I truly hope for his sake he winds up in a good environment with good coaches.

As a Steelers and Hokies fan, I desperately want Logan to end up in Pittsburgh. It's definitely more the Hokie side of me, and I see why any Steelers fan who is unbiased would have an aversion to drafting him, but if he can succeed anywhere, it is with the Steelers, and a lot of Hokie fans (even Ravens fans) agree and want to see him end up here for his sake. There are a few other teams that would be a good fit for him (he needs time to learn, good coaching, and little pressure to start early) but we are one of the better ones. He would be a project, but he has a hell of a lot more upside than Landry Jones, and if there is any QB who could teach Logan a few things and mold him into what we all thought he could be at the conclusion of the 2011-12 season, it is Ben Roethlisberger. For the Steelers, while we are in desperate need of defensive depth, a 3rd round pick is too much, but if he's around in the 4th or 5th? The upside is hard to ignore. Seriously, watch these highlights and tell me you don't want this man on your team:

Something needs to be said for Logan's mental toughness though as well. This man is an absolute class act. He has dealt with more bullshit, more pressure to perform, more criticism, more insults and people calling for his backup, than any player in any sport I have ever seen. Seriously, if you took a look at some of the things people said about him during/after games on the internet, you would be disgusted. And yet, through it all, he never lashed out. He never complained, he just took it on himself to wok harder to improve his game and the game of those around him. He is a leader, a warrior, and exactly the kind of personality you want in your locker room. I am truly honored to have rooted for him the last 4 years.

TL;DR: Logan Thomas needs good coaching and a few years with the clipboard, but we are the perfect situation for him and he has the ability and upside to be a potential franchise quarterback for us. He doesn't exactly fit our needs and is a risk but would be well worth a mid-late round pick.

Last edited by PhantomJB93; 02-20-2014 at 07:14 PM.
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PhantomJB93 For This Useful Post:
Galax Steeler (02-20-2014), harrison'samonster (02-20-2014), Soberdisposition (02-20-2014), SteelersCanada (02-20-2014)
Old 02-20-2014, 01:50 AM   #9
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
Thanked 1,035 Times in 494 Posts
My Mood: Drunk

I apologize for such a long post and I realize most people probably won't even read it but Logan has been one of my favorite athletes to watch the last several years and once I saw a post on him here I just got carried away I guess haha.
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PhantomJB93 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-20-2014), SteelersCanada (02-20-2014)
Old 02-20-2014, 11:17 AM   #10
EbonySteel86
Team Captain

Member Number: 20340

That 1st highlight when he trucked that defender had me sold! That was AWSOME!!!
EbonySteel86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EbonySteel86 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-20-2014), PhantomJB93 (02-20-2014)