Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-20-2014, 04:53 AM   #1
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,893 Times in 1,632 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default General skills of Steelers Troy Polamalu questioned by some heading into his 12th sea

What more can Troy Polamalu do?

Last season, the 12-year safety answered critics that said he had become injury plagued and had lost a step.

It appears Polamalu will tackle even more criticisms as 2014 approaches.

Advanced age, declining skills and a hefty contract are among the knocks on Polamalu.

Joe Corry of the National Football Post said as much in his article naming Polamalu as one of the "Top 5 NFL Pay Cut Candidates."

Corry wrote: "Polamalu is no longer in the discussion regarding the NFLís best safety. The 2010 Defensive Player of the Year was named to his eighth Pro Bowl in 2013, but the honor may have been based more on his reputation than his play. Polamalu, who turns 33 in April, has the NFLís highest 2014 cap number for safeties at $10,887,500 in the final year of a three-year, $29.6 million contract extension.

"The Steelers would pick up $8.25 million of cap room by releasing their popular safety. Pittsburgh team president Art Rooney II would like for Polamalu to retire with the club. A pay cut could be folded into an extension that lowers Polamaluís cap number and ensures that he never plays with another NFL team."

I do agree that it would be beneficial for the Steelres to find a way for Polamalu to accept a pay cut to help alleviate Pittsburgh's financial strains. But that's about all I agree with in regareds to Corry's take on Polamalu.

"Polamalu is no longer in the discussion regarding the NFLís best safety."

I'm still looking for the player polls or quotes by current coaches or contemporaries of Polamalu's to reinforce Corry's statement. He never offered one. To make an opionated statement like that, you would assume that there would be facts backing that up. It appears that the National Football Post is comfortable making those kind of statements without any supporting evidence.

"The 2010 Defensive Player of the Year was named to his eighth Pro Bowl in 2013, but the honor may have been based more on his reputation than his play."

While his first statement was off-base, this statement is just ignorant. Are you really going to criticize and analyze a player's Pro Bowl berth? Especially a player that overcame an injury that forced him out of nine games the previous season? Seems distasteful to me.

Anyone that watched Polamalu play last year knows he earned his Pro Bowl selection. He started all 16 games, totaled 69 tackles, defended 11 passes, and returned one of his two interceptions for a touchdown. Polamalu also posted two sacks, recovered a fumble and forced a career-best five fumbles. Earl Thomas, the safety many consider the best safety in the game today, recorded two forced fumbles in 2013. Fellow Pro Bowl safety Eric Berry forced one fumble.

Polamalu's play goes beyond stats, though. It's the way he plays that makes him different. The fearless style of play that made him a Pittsburgh icon in his younger years was back in 2013. Polamalu showed that much in the first game, leaping over the line of scrimmage before Titans quarterback Jake Locker could gain his bearings. He was a force the entire year in helping the Steelers stop the run and the opposition's intermediate passing game.

Polamalu was named to his eighth Pro Bowl in 2013 because he deserved it, not because of his reputation.

He might be as great in pass protection on deeper routes, but that was never Polamalu's strong suit anyways. And he is still one of the better covermen in the game. Polamalu is paid to be physical and to be a playmaker. In 2013, he was all that and more.

Polamalu brought the attitude and veteran presence the defense needed to help turn the season around after a 2-6 start. The Ben Roethlisberger of the defense, Polamalu helped his younger teammates improve as the season progressed, helping the Steelers post a 6-2 record down the stretch.

Troy Polamalu has been challenged by critics before. He was challenged in 2004 after a disappointing rookie season. He responded with a seven interception season and his first Pro Bowl selection. He was challenged after some said he wouldn't be the same after an injury riddled 2009 season. He won the NFL's Defensive Player of the Year award the following year.

Something tells me that the Tasmanian Devil will come back even stronger in 2014.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...alary-cap-2014
Old 02-20-2014, 09:25 AM   #2
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,953 Times in 2,345 Posts
My Mood: Fine
Default Re: General skills of Steelers Troy Polamalu questioned by some heading into his 12th

he had a comeback year as far as I'm concerned - Troy P was put out of position how many times to try and shore up a defense riddled with injury and inexperience - what more do you want from the guy?

2xSB champion, HOF Safety finding ways to still be relevant and help his team at this age? No man - all you got to do is look at where he is at v. Ed Reed - Who is fizzling out and who can still bring it?

Troy. End of discussion!

I'VE GOT SOME YOUTHFUL ADJUSTMENTS FOR 'DAT AZZ
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steelfury02 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-20-2014), Men of Steel (02-20-2014)
Old 02-20-2014, 03:21 PM   #3
CanSteel7
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 25607
Default Re: General skills of Steelers Troy Polamalu questioned by some heading into his 12th

This article is ridiculous! How many players after playing 12 years in a league where the average life span is 4 years, will continue to play at the level they are at in their prime?! I'm not going to ignore the fact that Troy is not what he used to be in his prime, BUT, he played at a high level last year and should be good again this year. People don't understand the fact that he is a safety but he is asked to do so much more than other safeties in this league. That's why I can't stand it when everybody says Ed Reed is so much better than Troy based on stats. Stats don't tell the whole story. What other safety in this league is asked to do the things that Troy is asked to do. He was playing a hybrid LB position last year because of our LB issues last year. People choose to either ignore the facts or remain ignorant when it comes to noting that.
CanSteel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CanSteel7 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-20-2014), The_Joker (02-23-2014)
Old 02-20-2014, 08:16 PM   #4
DanRooney
Banned

Member Number: 16248

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
he had a comeback year as far as I'm concerned - Troy P was put out of position how many times to try and shore up a defense riddled with injury and inexperience - what more do you want from the guy?

2xSB champion, HOF Safety finding ways to still be relevant and help his team at this age? No man - all you got to do is look at where he is at v. Ed Reed - Who is fizzling out and who can still bring it?

Troy. End of discussion!
Most of the time I saw him out of position he was playing ILB because Vince Williams is mediocre.
DanRooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:25 PM   #5
pittpete
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5301

Anyone who watched every defensive snap for the Steelers would be crazy in saying Troy is not a solid safety.
IMO he was the only Steeler flying to the ball on every play.
I know when it's time to say goodbye Ex. Hines,Farrior,Smith,Clark,Harrison,Ike but it's not time to say goodbye to Troy.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:57 PM   #6
Twentyvalve
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 18796

What other safety in the league also played ILB?

I am not saying he is the best, or is not, just asking how many others that play his position have the smarts, wherewith-all, confidence, and athleticism to play that position as well?

Troy has brought his own unique skill set to the position that nobody else has.
Twentyvalve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Twentyvalve For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-21-2014), teegre (02-20-2014)
Old 02-20-2014, 10:14 PM   #7
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 25,471 Times in 10,333 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twentyvalve View Post
What other safety in the league also played ILB?

I am not saying he is the best, or is not, just asking how many others that play his position have the smarts, wherewith-all, confidence, and athleticism to play that position as well?

Troy has brought his own unique skill set to the position that nobody else has.
Yep.

He has played NT. Name a LB who's played NT...
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-20-2014), VaDave (02-21-2014)
Old 02-20-2014, 10:49 PM   #8
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 2,140 Times in 858 Posts

Troy was all over the field and when on his game, looked like the Troy of old that kept offensive coordinators up all night with nightmares. He isn't the natural sit-back safety like all the others have the privileged of owning. He's asked to be 10 places at once and last season? He was damned good IMHO.

Even in his prime, Troy never had elite coverage skills as far as being in perfect position when the ball is in the air but his intangibles of being an absolute madman in places NOBODY expected him to be still breaths within him.

In Troy....we trust. He MUST retire a Steeler. MUST.
harrison'samonster (02-21-2014)
Old 02-21-2014, 12:16 AM   #9
VaDave
Team Owner

Member Number: 479
Thanked 2,097 Times in 1,139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post
Most of the time I saw him out of position he was playing ILB because Vince Williams is mediocre.
Spot on bro! Troy can still play Safety with the best of them. Like you said, he spent a lot of time playing linebacker last season, and he's not Dick Butkus.

If he played a true "Free Safety" role, he would still be in the top two or three Safeties in the league. Lost a step? Sure. How many had that step he had that he lost? Most never had it to begin with, including the cannonized .Ed Reid....
VaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VaDave For This Useful Post:
teegre (02-21-2014)
Old 02-21-2014, 01:29 AM   #10
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 25,471 Times in 10,333 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaDave View Post
Lost a step? Sure. How many had that step he had that he lost? Most never had it to begin with
Yep.

He's no longer leaps & bounds better than every other DB (let alone safety). Now, he has fallen back to very good... which is still better than 3/4 of the safeties in the league.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
JVip (02-21-2014)