Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-21-2014, 03:31 PM   #52
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,136 Times in 2,826 Posts
Default Re: NFL Salary Cap to Rise 5% to 130 Million

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSMaster56 View Post

The MLB is the league waning in popularity.
Baseball attendance is still up but, as my cousin puts it, that is because going to a baseball game is like going to a picnic. It is a nice time outdoors when you can visit with your friends, have a few beers, and on weekend night games get fireworks at the end. Since so little is usually going on the game is background noise.

I watched a few Pirates playoff games played in Pittsburgh from beginning to end last fall but cannot imagine sitting through a regular season game on TV, which I did regularly when I was a kid and apparently had a much higher boredom threshold
Buddha Bus (02-21-2014), NSMaster56 (02-21-2014)
Old 02-21-2014, 03:32 PM   #53
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 18,758 Times in 7,916 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksburg Zach View Post
It's funny because it's probably true.

Truth is funnier than fiction.
teegre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 03:36 PM   #54
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,056 Times in 557 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Baseball attendance is still up but, as my cousin puts it, that is because going to a baseball game is like going to a picnic. It is a nice time outdoors when you can visit with your friends, have a few beers, and on weekend night games get fireworks at the end. Since so little is usually going on the game is background noise.

I watched a few Pirates playoff games played in Pittsburgh from beginning to end last fall but cannot imagine sitting through a regular season game on TV, which I did regularly when I was a kid and apparently had a much higher boredom threshold
MLB was voted #2 most popular sport in America. Players who arent even good get 50 million dollar contract. Teams are getting 5 billion dollar tv deals. If baseball was so bad, I doubt these numbers would be where they are.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 03:39 PM   #55
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1947 View Post
MLB was voted #2 most popular sport in America. Players who arent even good get 50 million dollar contract. Teams are getting 5 billion dollar tv deals. If baseball was so bad, I doubt these numbers would be where they are.
They're #2 like how the second-best RB behind Adrian Peterson is #2.

(The NFL is #1 by a mile.)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
Atlanta Dan (02-21-2014), Buddha Bus (02-21-2014), NSMaster56 (02-21-2014), pczach (02-25-2014)
Old 02-21-2014, 03:41 PM   #56
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post

One of my favorite memories as a kid, was going with my dad on a business trip to Pittsburgh. During the day, he'd go to his meetings, and I'd walk across the bridge, to his friend's private box at Three Rivers. I watched five baseball games that week... and I was in heaven.

Today, I doubt that I'd last past two games... and, definitely not two days in a row.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:28 PM   #57
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1947 View Post
I did not say it was not profitable, just that it is declining in popularity.

TV ratings tell the tale - when I was a kid the World Series ruled and the NFL stayed out of the way of World Series broadcasts. Now the World Series is on the same level as the NBA championship (which CBS was playing on tape delay after the late news in the early 80s)

This link is to a chart I could not fit into the post. NBA championship ratings had viewership of 16.7 million last year and World Series had 14.9 million

Which Sports Have the Whitest/Richest/Oldest Fans?
http://cdn.theatlantic.com/newsroom/...sts/sports.png
http://www.theatlantic.com/business/...t-fans/283626/

When 50% of your viewers are 55 and over a sport has a problem - its fans are dying off.

NFL 2013 REGULAR SEASON PROFILE

Is the Game Over?

The game, in other words, has never been healthier. So why does it feel so irrelevant?

Maybe the best evidence of this admittedly unscientific observation is the national TV ratings. There’s no sense comparing baseball’s numbers to football’s, which exist in a whole other Nielsen’s stratosphere. But baseball is losing ground to pro basketball, too. In 2012, the N.B.A.’s regular season ratings on ABC were nearly double those of Major League Baseball on Fox. The last eight years have produced the seven least-watched World Series on record.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/29/op...pagewanted=all
Buddha Bus (02-21-2014), harrison'samonster (02-21-2014), NSMaster56 (02-21-2014), pczach (02-25-2014), teegre (02-21-2014)
Old 02-21-2014, 05:40 PM   #58
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
One of my favorite memories as a kid, was going with my dad on a business trip to Pittsburgh. During the day, he'd go to his meetings, and I'd walk across the bridge, to his friend's private box at Three Rivers. I watched five baseball games that week... and I was in heaven.

Today, I doubt that I'd last past two games... and, definitely not two days in a row.
In the early 70s (5 division championships in 6 years) the Pirates always seemed to play doubleheaders on Sundays (along with doubleheaders on Memorial Day and Labor Day that would start at 10:30 in the morning so fans could still go to late afternoon picnics) - that was great and very reasonably priced entertainment
teegre (02-24-2014)
Old 02-21-2014, 06:32 PM   #59
NSMaster56
Team Owner

Member Number: 23979
Thanked 3,372 Times in 1,564 Posts

A few final thoughts on MLB vs. NFL parity...

The counter arguments to the NFL's case are obvious.

1. More NFL teams have made the playoffs since 1990! ... The NFL has more playoff teams (12) per year than MLB (4 until the 94 strike, now technically 10)

2. More NFL teams have had winning records since 1990! ... The NFL plays 146 less games than MLB.

Furthermore, there is a similarity in the hierarchy of each league; there are a few 'haves' (IND/NE/PIT) and a few 'have nots' (BUF/CLE/JAX/OAK).

HOWEVER, the obvious difference between the ineptitude of MLB franchises compared to NFL ones is simple: MLB franchises with a history of losing usually don't spend as much as those with a history of winning. That is, at least NFL owners/GMs don't have the excuse of 'we didnt' have money to spend!'

There are no 'small' or 'mid' markets in the NFL, just markets.

The difference between Pittsburgh and Cleveland in the NFL is plain ineptitude. The Steelers know how to operate a franchise, the Browns do not.
NSMaster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NSMaster56 For This Useful Post:
Atlanta Dan (02-21-2014)
Old 02-21-2014, 06:48 PM   #60
NSMaster56
Team Owner

Member Number: 23979
Thanked 3,372 Times in 1,564 Posts

And finally a bunch of boring stats:

Since 1990...

Every NFL team has made the playoffs at least twice.

Two MLB teams (KC and MON/WAS) have not.

Four MLB teams have made the postseason 10+ times.

13 NFL teams have made the playoffs 10+ times.

Adjusting for 'final eight' (MLB WC teams = final eight, which is equivalent to DIV RD in NFL; so adjusting for teams who made the DIV RD...):

Four MLB teams (ATL/BOS/NYY/STL) have made the postseason 10+ times.

Four NFL teams (GB/NE/PIT/SF) have made the DIV round or better 10+ times.

*BUT*

15 MLB teams have made the postseason 5+ times (which in 25 years ~ once every five years)

24 NFL teams have made the DIV round or better 5+ times (and three that have not are expansion teams or reformed teams---CLE/HOU/JAX).

So in the NFL 75% of the league has either won a playoff game or been a top-2 seed five times in 25 years (approx. once every five years) whereas in MLB only 1/2 of all teams have even made the playoffs [as consistently] in that same span.

Since 2000:

75% of all NFL teams have either won a playoff game or been a top-2 seed three times in 15 years (approx. once every five years) whereas in MLB only 66% of all teams have even made the playoffs 3+ times (approx. once every five years) in that same span.

Both six MLB and NFL teams have had winning seasons or made the playoffs 10+ times in 15 years. Of course, it's a lot harder to have a winning season/make the playoffs in a 162-game MLB season, so those six teams are clearly dominating more than the NFL's six.

Not only has MLB had fewer teams who have had a winning season/made the playoffs 3+ times vs. the NFL (21/30 vs. 24/32), the teams with the least # of winning seasons+playoffs in the MLB are the prototypical 'small/mid' markets (CLE, MIA, SD, CIN, COL, MIL, MON/WAS, BAL, KC, PIT) whereas NFL teams are the ones with the worst management (CAR, STL, AZ, HOU, JAX, OAK, WAS, CLE, DET, BUF).

Last edited by NSMaster56; 02-21-2014 at 07:21 PM.
NSMaster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NSMaster56 For This Useful Post:
Atlanta Dan (02-21-2014), harrison'samonster (02-21-2014), SteelersCanada (02-21-2014)