Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 02-21-2014, 11:56 AM   #41
43Hitman
BACON!!
Supporter

Member Number: 1251
My Mood: Cool
Default Re: Steelers run defense needs help but a nose tackle might not be the answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1947 View Post
Big Snack use to occupy the center and the guard on a regular bases. That makes a huge difference in stopping the run when the inside linebacker has no barrier to the running back. And it top it off, the greatest 3-4 defensive lineman ever was on his right side.

With that being said, it doesnt matter as much in todays Arena Football League. The Seahawks put a nice blueprint on what the defense needs to do to stop today's offenses. And thats 3 out of 4 of your secondary need to be studs. So, I believe the Steelers need to draft a shutdown corner and a safety as Troy comes towards the end of his career. I hope Shark can be the next star, that would be huge for the Steelers next year and be a huge difference maker.
Yeah I'm with you on this all the way. I think our priority should be CB, S, TE. While we did struggle in the run game I think being healthy and more experienced at ILB can make a huge difference overall. We have to get younger and faster on the back end though, that much was evident when Troy had to play inside more.

"Football is a physical game, or at least it used to be" -Mel Blount
43Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:57 PM   #42
Steeldude
Living Legend

Default Re: Steelers run defense needs help but a nose tackle might not be the answer

Was Hampton really anything other than a fat body? I would think Fangupo would be a nice fit with Mclendon as DE.

The Steelers need a LILB. Hopefully Spence can recover from his serious knee injury.
43Hitman (02-21-2014)
Old 02-21-2014, 04:10 PM   #43
wootawnee
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4530

I do not buy the stats... When has one of these pass happy teams won the superbowl?.Stafford? Ha.. In 06 when Manning won, they ran the heck out of the ball in the playoffs/superbowl...

To win playoff games and championships, you must run the football, and stop the run..

Nix is a no brain-er to me, if he is on the board... I don't want stats, I want rings...
harrison'samonster (02-21-2014)
Old 02-21-2014, 05:41 PM   #44
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 10,994 Times in 4,664 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Colbert: NT still critical in Steelers' defense

February, 21, 2014
By Scott Brown | ESPN.com

PITTSBURGH -- Louis Nix III, the top nose tackle prospect in the draft, has been linked to the Steelers as much as any player in the mock drafts that have already proliferated.

ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. and Todd McShay have done two mock drafts apiece and each time they have had the Steelers taking Nix with the 15th overall pick.

Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert rarely talks about individual players before the draft. And true to form he didn't tip his hand when discussing how the role of nose tackles has changed as the NFL has become more of a passing league.

Notre Dame's Louis Nix III has the prototypical size to be a space-eating nose tackle.

Colbert acknowledged that the Steelers only played their base defense about 40 percent of the time last season, and the nose tackle is the first player to come off the field when the Steelers use one of their sub-packages.

But he dismissed the notion that such math devalues nose tackles, especially on a Steelers' defense that is predicated on stopping the run.

"In a 3-4 defense you're still going to start with a nose tackle," Colbert told Pittsburgh reporters at the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis. "You have to get into third-down situations, and those second-and-longs, too. If you don't have that player help you get to those extended downs then you're going to have problems.

The Steelers had their share of problems stopping the run last season.

They yielded 125 rushing yards per game, an increase of 30 yards from 2012, and that spike coincided with Steve McLendon taking over at nose tackle for five-time Pro Bowler Casey Hampton.

It would be unfair and inaccurate to pin the Steelers' struggles in stopping the run solely on McLendon.

It certainly didn't help that the Steelers had a rookie inside linebacker Vince Williams learning on the job in 2013. Or that the Steelers were not nearly as sound from an assignment standpoint as they have been in past seasons.

Whether they think they need an upgrade at nose tackle is another question.

When asked last week to assess McLendon's performance in 2013, Colbert said, "He did OK. He fought through some injuries and gave us some good work. But to say anybody was good enough, including myself, when you're 8-8 that's a disservice to the organization."

That qualifies as neither an endorsement nor an indictment of McLendon, which is why the Steelers are presumably open to taking a player who will be on the field less than half the time with their first-round pick.

If they use their first selection on a nose tackle, Nix appears to be the only one worthy of such a high pick.

The former Notre Dame standout fits the prototype for a space-eating nose tackle, one who can anchor the middle of the defensive line and free the inside linebackers to flow to the ball.

Nix has to check out medically at the combine after undergoing surgery last November to repair torn meniscus in his knee. It will also be interesting to see what he weighs -- the 6-2 Nix is generally listed at 345 pounds -- and what kind of shape he is in three months after his surgery.

If Nix is in good shape that would shine a positive light on his work ethic and answer questions the Steelers may have about his knee.

http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-s...eelers-defense
Old 02-21-2014, 06:45 PM   #45
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Member Number: 15497
Thanked 1,196 Times in 481 Posts

SH-Rock is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SH-Rock For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (03-01-2014), harrison'samonster (02-21-2014), steelfury02 (02-23-2014)
Old 02-21-2014, 10:03 PM   #46
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 10,007 Times in 4,256 Posts

I don't buy anything any GM says until after the draft. So that's a NT and WR that are critical to this team. Are there going to be articles "leaked" that say CBs are critical to LeBeau's scheme? What about Ends? Tackles? Guards?

Smokescreen. A lot of what you hear right now is complete bullshit in order to move down and acquire more picks.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:44 AM   #47
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149

The are enough solid NT's in this draft that we can focus on the secondary first like we need to
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BKAnthem For This Useful Post:
FrancoLambert (02-25-2014)
Old 02-22-2014, 08:02 AM   #48
Steelstoned1972
UNLEASHING HELL SINCE '72
Supporter

Member Number: 16903
Thanked 2,677 Times in 1,557 Posts
My Mood: Psychedelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKAnthem View Post
The are enough solid NT's in this draft that we can focus on the secondary first like we need to
I agree secondary first priority , however If there is a higher rated Big body Wr in the first . I load up in rounds 2 - 4 on Dbs.

I'm thinking Dennard , Evans , Mack Benjamin , Ebron , Mosely in the first.

Followed by Fuller , Buchannon , Reynolds , Joyner , Purifoy , Jordan Matthews , or Davante Adams in the second .

In the third thru 7 the , Bpa . I think we can grab a quality Nt in this area.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
EbonySteel86 (02-23-2014), FrancoLambert (02-25-2014)
Old 02-23-2014, 02:31 PM   #49
The_Joker
Team Owner

Member Number: 24540
Thanked 1,267 Times in 672 Posts
My Mood: Devilish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
Casey, is that you?
The_Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 03:35 PM   #50
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 5,206 Times in 2,562 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Tomlin talked with Nix

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is online now   Reply With Quote