Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-23-2014, 04:43 PM   #51
Soberdisposition
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 24720
Default Re: Steelers run defense needs help but a nose tackle might not be the answer

I like Nix, i have nothing against him, in fact i have mocked him to the Steelers in quite a lot of my drafts. However i feel like if we get him we are missing an opportunity to hit a real area of need such as CB or a stud safety which in my opinion is the area most in need of an upgrade. Also the more i look at our line play it really wasnt that bad, the real issue i think with that front was fundamental tackling and putting pressure on an undersized rookie to perform from the off.

That said id be far happier taking a NT than taking a WR in the first like i keep hearing rumblings about us doing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Soberdisposition For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-25-2014)
Old 02-24-2014, 02:01 PM   #52
Steeldude
Living Legend

Default Re: Steelers run defense needs help but a nose tackle might not be the answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKAnthem View Post
The are enough solid NT's in this draft that we can focus on the secondary first like we need to
The problem is there are good/decent DBs in the draft, but no studs. Is anyone first round material that would be worthy of the 15th pick
Old 02-25-2014, 07:52 PM   #53
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 12,536 Times in 5,178 Posts
My Mood: Amazed

Steelers free agency: If Seahawks cut Red Bryant, he'd make a nice addition to the Steelers defensive line

By Neal Coolong on Feb 25 2014

Seattle is allegedly considering cutting Bryant in an effort to free up money to keep some of their younger players. The 29-year-old Bryant would make an excellent fit in Pittsburgh if his price tag was manageable.

If the Steelers do find ways to move their salary cap number down, and keep the free agents they want to keep, Seattle's Red Bryant would be a nice addition.

As the team weighs a variety of different positions as priorities in the upcoming 2014 NFL Draft, defensive line has to be considered in the running. Bryant, though, would make an immediate impact, particularly against the run, as a defensive end. For a team that was gashed on the ground as much as the Steelers were in 2013, it makes a lot of sense.

Seattle is allegedly considering terminating the contract of the 29-year-old Bryant, largely because he's owed $8.5 million for 2014, and with big contracts coming both this year and the next few years, keeping their core group of players intact means they'll have to lose out on talented players like Bryant.

How much he'd be willing to take is a different story. However, he would have a chance to play more often in Pittsburgh than he did in Seattle (less than 30 snaps a game) in a scheme that will fit him very well. If he is released, it wouldn't be a surprise to see the Steelers chat him up a bit and see what it might take to bring him to Pittsburgh.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...wks-cut-rumors
Old 02-25-2014, 08:15 PM   #54
EbonySteel86
Team Captain

Member Number: 20340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
The problem is there are good/decent DBs in the draft, but no studs. Is anyone first round material that would be worthy of the 15th pick
I believe Dennard and Gilbert are probably better than every corner on our current roster and are worthy of our 15th pick.
EbonySteel86 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EbonySteel86 For This Useful Post:
BKAnthem (02-26-2014), FrancoLambert (02-25-2014), Hawaii 5-0 (02-25-2014)
Old 02-25-2014, 09:07 PM   #55
DanRooney
Head Coach

Member Number: 16248

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbonySteel86 View Post
I believe Dennard and Gilbert are probably better than every corner on our current roster and are worthy of our 15th pick.
It's not too hard to be better than any of the corners on our roster.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:22 AM   #56
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

DAMMIT! How did I miss @jb500ex getting banned???

I thought it seemed to smell a little less like shit around here the past few days.

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Buddha Bus For This Useful Post:
FrancoLambert (03-01-2014), harrison'samonster (03-08-2014), teegre (03-01-2014)
Old 03-01-2014, 10:42 AM   #57
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149

since the league is trending towards more and more pass...why not switch to a 4-3 and dead the whole NT argument?
BKAnthem is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BKAnthem For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (03-08-2014)
Old 03-01-2014, 01:50 PM   #58
SteelerJT
Living Legend

Member Number: 25777
Thanked 5,471 Times in 2,481 Posts

With regards to Red Bryant, over the last 5 years...

Ziggy Hood 144 tackles, 11.5 sacks
Red Bryant 116 tackles, 3.5 sacks

I wouldn't be upset if they picked him up, a change of scenery might do him well. But I wouldn't expect him to be the savior of the DL, if anything it might be a lateral move from Hood.
SteelerJT is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelerJT For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (03-08-2014)
Old 03-08-2014, 05:56 PM   #59
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 12,536 Times in 5,178 Posts
My Mood: Amazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerJT View Post
With regards to Red Bryant, over the last 5 years...

Ziggy Hood 144 tackles, 11.5 sacks
Red Bryant 116 tackles, 3.5 sacks

I wouldn't be upset if they picked him up, a change of scenery might do him well. But I wouldn't expect him to be the savior of the DL, if anything it might be a lateral move from Hood.
Jaguars sign Red Bryant

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 8, 2014

The Jaguars have just bolstered their rebuilding effort with a big addition to their defense.

Red Bryant, a starting defensive end on last year’s Super Bowl-winning Seahawks team, has signed with Jacksonville. Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that it’s a four-year deal.

The 6-foot-4, 323 pound Bryant has started every game but one in the last three seasons for Seattle. Overall he’s been with the Seahawks for six years, having arrived as a fourth-round pick in 2008.

Although the official free agency period hasn’t started yet, Bryant is eligible to sign now because he was released by the Seahawks in a cost-cutting move.

Jaguars head coach Gus Bradley was the Seahawks’ defensive coordinator from 2009 to 2012, so he knows Bryant well. Bryant will be a big part of Bradley’s efforts to turn around the struggling Jaguars.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...gn-red-bryant/