Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-23-2014, 07:53 AM   #1
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,030 Times in 1,277 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Mike Munchak could be Steelers' biggest addition of 2014

By Ray Fittipaldo / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers have tried to improve their offensive line by addressing it through the draft. They have tried to improve it by implementing a new offensive scheme with a new offensive coordinator. And they have tried, over and over again during Mike Tomlin's tenure as head coach, to improve it by changing the position coach.

When Tomlin hired Mike Munchak last month to be his fourth offensive line coach he might have finally found the man to fix a problem that has festered for years.

Munchak had a Hall of Fame career as an offensive lineman for the Houston Oilers, and he has a proven track record as an offensive line coach, having spent 17 years in that job for the Oilers and Tennessee Titans before ascending to head coach in 2011.

In addition, Munchak has experience coaching the zone blocking scheme that the Steelers would like to implement with running back Le'Veon Bell and the athletic linemen they have accumulated through the draft in recent years.

One of the reasons Tomlin dismissed Jack Bicknell after last season was the linemen had a hard time picking up the scheme from him and abandoned it early in the season after game planning all spring and summer to have it as a staple.

Zone blocking, which assigns an area for linemen to block rather than specific players, is not new, but it will be for the Steelers.

Munchak's line in Tennessee helped running back Chris Johnson rush for 2,000 yards in 2009. The Titans as a team rushed for 2,592 in 2009.

The Steelers, by contrast, haven't rushed for 2,000 yards since 2007, and they ranked 27th in the NFL in rushing offense last season with 1,383 yards, the fewest for the team since 1966 (when there was a 14-game schedule).

The Titans also protected their quarterbacks well under Munchak's watch. In the past five years, Tennessee gave up an average of 28 sacks per season. The Steelers, in the same five-year span, gave up an average of 43.

Despite the poor rushing statistics and the troubles the Steelers have had protecting Ben Roethlisberger over the years, the cupboard is not bare for Munchak. The Steelers invested two first- and two second-round draft choices in offensive linemen from 2010-2012.

But the best laid plans of the front office have not materialized. Those four linemen -- center Maurkice Pouncey, tackles Marcus Gilbert and Mike Adams and guard David DeCastro -- have started exactly one game together. That was the 2013 opener. They took eight snaps with each other before Pouncey was lost for the season with a knee injury, the result of a poorly executed cut block by DeCastro.

Injuries didn't just wreak havoc with the line in 2013.

In 2012, DeCastro missed all but four games of his rookie season with a knee injury. Adams also had his rookie year in 2012 cut short with an ankle injury.

But the injury excuse does not explain all of the unit's problems over the years. Some of the high draft choices have lived up to expectations while others have not.

The interior of the line is solid across the board and has the potential to be better next season. DeCastro rebounded well from his rookie injury to have a solid second season at right guard, and veteran Ramon Foster had another strong season at left guard, especially in pass protection.

If Pouncey bounces back from his ACL surgery to his previous Pro Bowl form, Munchak should not have any problem developing them into a formidable trio in the middle. The only question is how Foster, who is not a perfect fit for a zone scheme, adapts to Munchak's coaching.

While the center and guards are considered the strength of the unit, questions abound at left and right tackle. Gilbert started all 16 games at right tackle, but he allowed 11 sacks, more than any other offensive lineman on the roster. Kelvin Beachum was the starter at left tackle for 11 of the final 12 games after Adams was benched for ineffective play.

Beachum, 6 feet 3 inches and 303 pounds, is undersized for a left tackle, but he drew praise from offensive coordinator Todd Haley late in the season for the way he performed. Beachum allowed seven sacks in 11 games as a starter, and he is considered a better pass protector than a run blocker, so it will be interesting to see how he is viewed by Munchak.

Munchak's biggest project might be with Adams, a 6-7, 323-pounder whom some considered one of the top tackle prospects in the 2012 draft. He was moved from right tackle to left tackle halfway through training camp last summer and was assigned the task of protecting Roethlisberger's blind side.

In four games as a starter, Adams allowed four sacks, including three against Minnesota. He was benched for the following game and played more as a third tight end than a tackle for the rest of the season.

The Steelers have some decisions to make when it comes to depth along the line. Fernando Velasco, who started 11 games at center after Pouncey was injured, is an unrestricted free agent as are Cody Wallace, who started the final four games at center, and Guy Whimper, who proved to be versatile in his ability to play guard and tackle.

Given the recent injury history with the linemen, the reserves are important. But Munchak's No. 1 job is tapping into the potential of the high draft picks and whipping them into a better unit. If that doesn't happen next season, the questions surrounding the line will begin to focus more on the players and the scouting because Munchak's credentials are among the best in the business.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...#ixzz2u9Yif8cH
Old 02-24-2014, 12:07 PM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,087 Times in 2,618 Posts
Default Re: Mike Munchak could be Steelers' biggest addition of 2014

filed under "Obviously".
Old 02-24-2014, 09:18 PM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,087 Times in 2,618 Posts

I haven't been this pumped about a new hire, player or coach, since bringing back Dick LeBeau in 2004
Old 04-11-2014, 12:40 AM   #4
BLACK_AND_YELLOW
Head Coach

Member Number: 18312
Thanked 1,739 Times in 823 Posts
My Mood: Relaxed

Munchak ready to teach Steelers' O-linemen
Apr 10
3:45 PM ET
By Scott Brown | ESPN.com

PITTSBURGH -- The six Lombardi Trophies that line the front of the library at Steelers headquarters are impossible to miss even for those used to walking past them on a regular basis.

They have already made an impression on new offensive line coach Mike Munchak, who has done everything in football but win a Super Bowl.

“I’m here to see if we can get that seventh Super Bowl trophy in that case and help these players become as good as they can be,” Munchak told Steelers.com on Thursday. “From what I can see on tape, this is a good, young group that wants to be the best and it’s going to be fun working with them. I see myself as a teacher.”

Munchak should find more than willing pupils -- whether it is in the meeting room or on the practice field -- since no offensive line coach can match his combined chops as a coach and a player.

Munchak is in the Pro Football Hall of Fame and is considered one of the best guards in NFL history. The nine-time Pro Bowler spent 14 seasons coaching the offensive line for the Oilers/Titans before becoming the head coach for the only franchise he had ever worked or played for prior to joining the Steelers.

That the Scranton, Pa., native became available at about the time the Steelers were looking to stop the revolving door at offensive line coach proved ideal for both sides.

“It is hard to pick up and move,” said Munchak, who was fired in January after three seasons as the Titans' coach, “but if you’re going to do that this is a great place to end up.”

Elation may be too strong to characterize the general feeling around the Steelers regarding the addition of Munchak. But not by much.

The offensive line came together nicely at the end of last season and it returns every starter, including Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey, who played eight snaps in 2013 before tearing his ACL.

Pouncey has been working out at the Steelers’ practice facility -- he was here again on Thursday -- and he is among the linemen who could elevate their play under Munchak's tutelage.

If the line shows significant improvement in 2014 -- and, of course, stays healthy to some degree -- the offense could be good enough to carry a defense that is in transition.

And carry the Steelers back to the playoffs following 8-8 seasons.

Munchak, the perfect coach to pull everything together for a line that doesn't have a projected starter over 28, said he wants his players to take an even-keeled approach to the game while also exhibiting toughness and selflessness.

He figures to be more teacher than taskmaster but he won't have to yell to get his players' attention. His credentials alone will do that -- and help Munchak impart a message that has guided since his days as an All-American at Penn State.

“You don’t want to be that weak-link guy,” Munchak said. “Be accountable and if you don’t have a good ethic we’re not going to be very good. I’m big on being prepared, being prepared for the moment. It’s a young group, so I’m looking forward to getting to know them and working with them and getting the job done.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/pos...lers-o-linemen
Buddha Bus (04-11-2014), FrancoLambert (04-11-2014), harrison'samonster (04-12-2014)
Old 04-11-2014, 06:22 AM   #5
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,444 Times in 1,635 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
“I’m here to see if we can get that seventh Super Bowl trophy in that case and help these players become as good as they can be,” Munchak told Steelers.com on Thursday. “From what I can see on tape, this is a good, young group that wants to be the best and it’s going to be fun working with them. I see myself as a teacher.”

“You don’t want to be that weak-link guy,” Munchak said. “Be accountable and if you don’t have a good ethic we’re not going to be very good. I’m big on being prepared, being prepared for the moment. It’s a young group, so I’m looking forward to getting to know them and working with them and getting the job done.”

1. Eff yea Munch - I think he can be a big reason they get that 7th. If Ben has some of the best protection and a 1-2 punch run game gets going = hard to beat - this will take so much heat off of the defense if we can protect Ben and play with a lead

2. Munchak has some serious talent and great attitudes to work with on the O-line - I for one am really psyched to see what he does with Beachum, Adams, Gilbert in that order

Insanity or In-sahn-naha-teh
is what the the Iro-quois used
meaning "severe personnel problems".
Look it up. No? No, I'm right.
Agree to disagree.
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to steelfury02 For This Useful Post:
BLACK_AND_YELLOW (04-11-2014), harrison'samonster (04-12-2014), SteelerJT (04-11-2014), teegre (04-11-2014)
Old 04-11-2014, 06:44 AM   #6
BLACK_AND_YELLOW
Head Coach

Member Number: 18312
Thanked 1,739 Times in 823 Posts
My Mood: Relaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
1. Eff yea Munch - I think he can be a big reason they get that 7th. If Ben has some of the best protection and a 1-2 punch run game gets going = hard to beat - this will take so much heat off of the defense if we can protect Ben and play with a lead

2. Munchak has some serious talent and great attitudes to work with on the O-line - I for one am really psyched to see what he does with Beachum, Adams, Gilbert in that order
I'm probably one of the last Mike Adam's believers but this guy never had a "true" teacher, and with all his talents Munchak is going to make him one hell of a LT(yes LT) if he puts in the work.

Wonder if Beachum can move to LG? with the zone-blocking scheme he could be a very good fit

Last edited by BLACK_AND_YELLOW; 04-11-2014 at 07:18 AM.
BLACK_AND_YELLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BLACK_AND_YELLOW For This Useful Post:
BKAnthem (04-11-2014), harrison'samonster (04-12-2014), pczach (04-11-2014), SteelerJT (04-11-2014), steelfury02 (04-11-2014), teegre (04-11-2014)
Old 04-11-2014, 07:32 AM   #7
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 17,495 Times in 7,392 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK_AND_YELLOW View Post
I'm probably one of the last Mike Adam's believers but this guy never had a "true" teacher, and with all his talents Munchak is going to make him one hell of a LT(yes LT) if he puts in the work.

Wonder if Beachum can move to LG? with the zone-blocking scheme he could be a very good fit
I've averred for a while now, that Beachum will be a great LT, but could be a Pro Bowl level LG.

The best case scenario is that Munchak brings all of Mike Adams' talent to fruition, and Adams is a monster LT.

Adams, Beachum, Pouncey, DD, Gilbert

Good God!!!
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
BLACK_AND_YELLOW (04-11-2014), harrison'samonster (04-12-2014), SteelerJT (04-11-2014), steelfury02 (04-11-2014)
Old 04-11-2014, 07:40 AM   #8
Bane
Head Coach

Member Number: 24775
Thanked 2,706 Times in 1,121 Posts

I'm predicting an All Pro explosion from Le'Veon Bell.

Last edited by Bane; 04-11-2014 at 08:45 AM.
Bane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bane For This Useful Post:
BLACK_AND_YELLOW (04-11-2014), harrison'samonster (04-12-2014), SteelerJT (04-11-2014), steelfury02 (04-11-2014)
Old 04-11-2014, 08:01 AM   #9
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,444 Times in 1,635 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane View Post
I'm prediction an All Pro explosion from Le'Veon Bell.

Insanity or In-sahn-naha-teh
is what the the Iro-quois used
meaning "severe personnel problems".
Look it up. No? No, I'm right.
Agree to disagree.
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steelfury02 For This Useful Post:
Bane (04-11-2014), harrison'samonster (04-12-2014)
Old 04-11-2014, 09:58 AM   #10
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,094 Times in 3,894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane View Post
I'm predicting an All Pro explosion from Le'Veon Bell.
Nope. Andre Ellington is the better RB because YPC.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
Bane (04-11-2014), BLACK_AND_YELLOW (04-11-2014), harrison'samonster (04-12-2014), SteelerJT (04-11-2014), steelfury02 (04-11-2014), teegre (04-11-2014)