Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2014, 07:49 AM   #101
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter
 
Vis's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SC
Posts: 7,999
Gender: Male
Member Number: 5117
Thanks: 747
Thanked 5,543 Times in 2,684 Posts
My Mood: Sad
Default Re: Cool Science Stuff

For the non-science people to consider

__________________


All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:40 AM   #102
Born2Steel
Starter
 
Born2Steel's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 645
Gender: Male
Member Number: 25772
Thanks: 613
Thanked 602 Times in 353 Posts
My Mood: Sneaky
Default Re: Cool Science Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
How would you know? How would it show up in the fossil record?
We know because we don't have to go back before recorded history to see first hand. Our geneticist today can clone mammals from a single cell. There are documented trials on DNA mixing and altering. We have "created" hybrid fish, hybrid plants, even single cell bacteria. The evidence so far is that can't be done with mammals. There is no evidence that it has ever occurred. These articles pop up from time to time to stir up support for research funding, very similar to the NASA articles that claim finding other "Earths", or planets that have water so must contain some form of life. Is there a definite maybe there? Perhaps, but nothing to move forward with.
__________________
Born2Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:01 AM   #103
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter
 
Vis's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SC
Posts: 7,999
Gender: Male
Member Number: 5117
Thanks: 747
Thanked 5,543 Times in 2,684 Posts
My Mood: Sad
Default Re: Cool Science Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
We know because we don't have to go back before recorded history to see first hand. Our geneticist today can clone mammals from a single cell. There are documented trials on DNA mixing and altering. We have "created" hybrid fish, hybrid plants, even single cell bacteria. The evidence so far is that can't be done with mammals. There is no evidence that it has ever occurred. These articles pop up from time to time to stir up support for research funding, very similar to the NASA articles that claim finding other "Earths", or planets that have water so must contain some form of life. Is there a definite maybe there? Perhaps, but nothing to move forward with.
We are talking about different things, I presume, because we mix mammals all the time.

Look at the forced selection of dog breeds, all created by man, and what mixing them can do. Look at the liger. Look at the mule.

Please explain what you mean by mixing that is beyond those examples. If you mean we can't make a half dingo, half kangaroo, fine, but that was never what I was discussing concerning Neanderthals and humans.
__________________


All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:16 AM   #104
NJarhead
BewbmeisterExtraordinaire
Supporter
 
NJarhead's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 7,451
Gender: Male
Member Number: 1932
Thanks: 1,791
Thanked 3,152 Times in 1,324 Posts
My Mood: Inspired
Default Re: Cool Science Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarDen86 View Post
I have a question for the scientifically (main focus: chemistry?) gifted:

Would there be much difference between the buoyancy loss in water where the same volume of bubbles from ambient air are present as there would be if the bubbles were from methane gas?
I guess no one can answer this?
__________________
"Roughing the Brady - 15 yard penalty: Automatic first down."
NJarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:43 AM   #105
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter
 
Vis's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SC
Posts: 7,999
Gender: Male
Member Number: 5117
Thanks: 747
Thanked 5,543 Times in 2,684 Posts
My Mood: Sad
Default Re: Cool Science Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarDen86 View Post
I guess no one can answer this?
Not I. Sewer troubles?

Do we have a local chemist?
__________________


All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vis For This Useful Post:
NJarhead (06-23-2014)
Old 06-23-2014, 08:46 AM   #106
Born2Steel
Starter
 
Born2Steel's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 645
Gender: Male
Member Number: 25772
Thanks: 613
Thanked 602 Times in 353 Posts
My Mood: Sneaky
Default Re: Cool Science Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
We are talking about different things, I presume, because we mix mammals all the time.

Look at the forced selection of dog breeds, all created by man, and what mixing them can do. Look at the liger. Look at the mule.

Please explain what you mean by mixing that is beyond those examples. If you mean we can't make a half dingo, half kangaroo, fine, but that was never what I was discussing concerning Neanderthals and humans.
Just as I posted before.....any time mixing has occured, "Liger, and Mule", your examples, the result has been retarded/stunted. Yes there have been offspring but not a sustainable new species and definitely not a next stage in evolution. Mixing dog breeds is no different than mixing races of human. Humans and Neanderthals are only distant relatives, not of the same species. Are you sure this is a scientific discussion, or an argument for the sake of point/counterpoint? I'm merely pointing out the article, itself, is flawed in how it is reporting it's findings. There is no reason that we have to suggest an evolutionary link between these skulls found in Spain, and an evolutionary link between Neanderthal and Human DNA. It looks much more like an attempt to attract funding. ie "We found a planet that 'could be' Earth's twin, we should investigate further". I'm not against NEW, just have something to back it up first.
__________________
Born2Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:55 AM   #107
NJarhead
BewbmeisterExtraordinaire
Supporter
 
NJarhead's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 7,451
Gender: Male
Member Number: 1932
Thanks: 1,791
Thanked 3,152 Times in 1,324 Posts
My Mood: Inspired
Default Re: Cool Science Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
Not I. Sewer troubles?

Do we have a local chemist?
Ever see or read anything about the theories concerning the Bermuda Triangle? One of them is high volumes of methane gas being released. I saw an experiment that claimed the methane isn't a culprit, but I disagree with the experiment. Long story.

They used compressed air. I don't think it matters but wanted to be sure. I believe their experiment was a failure because they didn't subject the vessel to a wide enough area being effected by bubbles as would occur out in the triangle.
__________________
"Roughing the Brady - 15 yard penalty: Automatic first down."
NJarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:34 AM   #108
Born2Steel
Starter
 
Born2Steel's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 645
Gender: Male
Member Number: 25772
Thanks: 613
Thanked 602 Times in 353 Posts
My Mood: Sneaky
Default Re: Cool Science Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarDen86 View Post
Ever see or read anything about the theories concerning the Bermuda Triangle? One of them is high volumes of methane gas being released. I saw an experiment that claimed the methane isn't a culprit, but I disagree with the experiment. Long story.

They used compressed air. I don't think it matters but wanted to be sure. I believe their experiment was a failure because they didn't subject the vessel to a wide enough area being effected by bubbles as would occur out in the triangle.
I believe, in regards to the Burmuda Triangle theory, that gasses bubbling to the surface in enough quantity, of any gas, can cause a loss of bouyancy enough to sink ships of any size. I'm not sure the role compressed air vs methane gas plays on this. Not sure if it's a chemistry issue either. I also believe there is a convergence of magnetic lines in that area that causes instrument malfunctions and is blamed for many disappearances also.

So, I guess, I don't know would be my response. Didn't mean to ignore the question. I know that can be frustrating. Sorry.
__________________
Born2Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Born2Steel For This Useful Post:
NJarhead (06-23-2014)
Old 06-23-2014, 09:35 AM   #109
NJarhead
BewbmeisterExtraordinaire
Supporter
 
NJarhead's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 7,451
Gender: Male
Member Number: 1932
Thanks: 1,791
Thanked 3,152 Times in 1,324 Posts
My Mood: Inspired
Default Re: Cool Science Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
I believe, in regards to the Burmuda Triangle theory, that gasses bubbling to the surface in enough quantity, of any gas, can cause a loss of bouyancy enough to sink ships of any size. I'm not sure the role compressed air vs methane gas plays on this. Not sure if it's a chemistry issue either. I also believe there is a convergence of magnetic lines in that area that causes instrument malfunctions and is blamed for many disappearances also.

So, I guess, I don't know would be my response. Didn't mean to ignore the question. I know that can be frustrating. Sorry.
Not at all. We're on the same page with our theories apparently.
__________________
"Roughing the Brady - 15 yard penalty: Automatic first down."
NJarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:53 AM   #110
JonM229
Living Legend
 
JonM229's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ball So Hard University
Posts: 3,562
Gender: Male
Member Number: 24803
Thanks: 9,254
Thanked 8,047 Times in 2,782 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful
Default Re: Cool Science Stuff

You're both wrong. It's obviously Cthulu sacrificing ships to the Great Old Ones
__________________

"I don't know about you Joe, but I would say that qualifies as elite." -Barack Obama
JonM229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts