Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2014 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 02-25-2014, 03:10 PM   #1
Pitt15
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 24848
Default Tough Decisions Post Combine

After watching the DBs today, I think it makes sense to make the tough decision, release Troy, use the cap to shore up the front 7, find a vet to pressure the LOS, draft Clinton Dix, has the back end speed and skill to cover up the DBs; allow Thomas to play his more natural SS position. Select top CB on board in round 2. If Ha Ha is not there, pick Gilbert (likely gone also) or Dennard, then select top FS in rounds 2-4.

To make a difference on the field, must find a way to infuse new talent by releasing veteran contracts in a manner that allows the draft selection of top end players. Must be proactive-cant afford to wait for BPA to reconstitute the Steel Curtain.
Pitt15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pitt15 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-25-2014)
Old 02-25-2014, 03:45 PM   #2
devin7558
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 23989
Default Re: Tough Decisions Post Combine

Restructure Polamalu. Try to retain Worilds. Release Ike. Extend Ben, Heath, Cortez. Don't go to drastic measures burning down the roster, their cap situation isn't that awful.

Then draft BPA (likely from this grouping of players): Gilbert, Dennard, Clinton-Dix, Mosley, Evans, Lewan, Ebron.

If there's one thing that should have been reinforced in your mind from watching those DB's, it is that it is a very very deep corner and safety class. We can get multiple DB's (and future starters) in rounds 2-5 and get at least 1 more year of high level play out of Troy which allows us to contend for the division and Super Bowl.
devin7558 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to devin7558 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-25-2014), MDSteel15 (02-25-2014), Steelstoned1972 (02-25-2014)
Old 02-25-2014, 04:48 PM   #3
Pitt15
Draft Prospect

Agree that there is starter depth in the DBs, but for the defense to return to dominance, need more than starters, need impact players. By picking later in the draft, Pitt has been missing on a number of playmakers--I was just making the point that the current roster is not good enough, even with drafting some future starters--need 1-3 impact players via FA and draft, may need to leverage current roster to climb out of star deficient roster.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:51 PM   #4
Pitt15
Draft Prospect

While I prefer the approach I outlined, if Worlds is not retained, will need an impact pass rusher via FA or draft; need one regardless as Steeler depth needs upgraded.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:57 PM   #5
MDSteel15
Team President

Member Number: 8170
My Mood: Blah

As I want Haha, we aren't getting rid of Troy just yet.. Why would you get rid of him and not let HCD learn from him? Not like he won't get in to play!
Old 02-25-2014, 05:40 PM   #6
Pitt15
Draft Prospect

Just looking at financial ability to add 1-2 impact FA in the front 7, using the draft to upgrade the secondary to high level. I recall when Woodson was released, probably a bad decision- as he played in the SB for the Ravens, but waiting too long delays the learning curve for the next Super Bowl team. I am not looking for a way to release Troy, just seems to be the most viable from a financial standpoint. Miller is my favorite player, but would also consider a cut here to help replenish the front 7 (drafts looks good for a replacement (predict Lynch from GA).
Numerous ways to build an organization, just think Pitt needs to be a bit creative beyond the restructuring and wanting for the next BPA.