Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 03-03-2014, 11:03 PM   #101
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 20,982 Times in 8,714 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default Re: Jason Worilds Given Transition Tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerJT View Post
The Steelers get compensation, the same as they do when any UFA leaves. Just not two 1st like for Jimmy Graham which no one would give up. He doesn't necessarily have to play for the tag price or equal either, a team could come back with a lower offer. He'll only get a contract that the market warrants.
Yep.

Not two R1 picks… nor even one R1 pick. Those are the compensatory picks for a franchise tagged player.

But, if he leaves, the Steelers would garner a R3 pick (just like Wallace).
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:14 PM   #102
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha Bus View Post
Great point about Keenan Lewis. Everyone was up in arms that we let him walk without so much as an offer after only 1 productive season under his belt. So now a bunch of people are suggesting we do the same with Worilds so we can bitch about that when he goes and succeeds elsewhere? Damned if you do and damned if you don't, I guess.

What the heck is Colbert supposed to do to please everybody here? If Colbert lets him walk and he tears it up, the same people would crucify him for it.
True… it's a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" type of scenario in Pittsburgh.

People would have gone ballistic a few years ago, if Troy had not been given an extension… and now, some people complain that he isn't not the same player that he was four years ago. What was Colbert supposed to do: cut Troy in 2009??? The price of having Troy then, is the back-loaded contract now.

WORILDS
There are some who want Worilds (you), there are some who want Woodley (???), and there are some who wanted both of them cut & a top-end FA signed instead (me). I merely had my hopes up that the Steelers would have used that $10 million on a proven All-Pro… as opposed to using it on a "good" player.

Now that what is done is done, please, let me be wrong in my doubts, and instead, Worilds continues his "one sack per game" pace.

LEWIS
Also, as CNEW said earlier, the Keenan Lewis situation is much different. Lewis was a headcase for three seasons. Tomlin said that Lewis was the most physically gifted of all the CBs on the roster, but the one needing the most "mental" work. After a pre-season game against the NYGiants (where he had been penciled in as the starter), he threw a fit, and smashed a glass poster-case. He was demoted… and took nearly a year & a half to regain his starting role.

And, I truly think that he & Wallace were shown the door, because of the "division" that the two of them had created in the lockerroom. Add to that the fact that he wanted out/wanted to go home, and there wasn't really any chance that he was signing with the Steelers.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (03-04-2014), harrison'samonster (03-04-2014), Rotorhead (03-04-2014), SteelStompOut (03-04-2014)
Old 03-04-2014, 01:42 AM   #103
Justp94
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 21937

Woodley will be gone after June 1st and Jarvis Jones will be expected to step up big time in his second season.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:03 AM   #104
bornaSteelersfan
Starter
Supporter

teegre, I understand the value of having an all-pro OLB signed on FA even for slightly more than the Steelers will pay Worilds this year. It looks good on paper. The problem is that now you have 1 off-season to teach this new player your entire defensive scheme. Worilds knows the scheme inside and out (pardon the pun). He has proven his value this past season and may in fact have proven his value in the locker room as well. It makes sense to keep him instead for at least one more year and see where this goes. Signing an FA to a long-term deal could handcuff the Steelers for cap-space for many years.
Buddha Bus (03-04-2014), harrison'samonster (03-04-2014)
Old 03-04-2014, 06:10 AM   #105
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Member Number: 16118

Assuming as some suggested Woodley is gone after June 1st. Teams still can sign Worilds up until July something. So the Steelers could lose both.

I'm not sure about this move, but the Steelers are probably shooting for a contract with Worilds around May or June if no team has offered anything. Worilds wouldn't want to turn down a long term deal for the chance of playing one year badly or becoming injured and getting not paid well next year.

One thing for sure though. If we are going to lose him let it happen QUICK. We could use that money in free agency while there are some good players still available. Waiting until March 22 hurts the Steelers in that regard.
Losing Worilds say in July would be a problem. It would keep us from using the money for any quality free agent, it probably keeps us from cutting Woodley or if we do cut Woodley we have Chris Carter or a late round pick to look forward to playing. Yikes.

Nothing like waiting until July to see if you have a player on your roster or not.
Kingmagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:24 AM   #106
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornaSteelersfan View Post
teegre, I understand the value of having an all-pro OLB signed on FA even for slightly more than the Steelers will pay Worilds this year. It looks good on paper. The problem is that now you have 1 off-season to teach this new player your entire defensive scheme. Worilds knows the scheme inside and out (pardon the pun). He has proven his value this past season and may in fact have proven his value in the locker room as well. It makes sense to keep him instead for at least one more year and see where this goes. Signing an FA to a long-term deal could handcuff the Steelers for cap-space for many years.
Byrd is a FS (not an OLB).

For the past thirteen years (since Darren Perry retired), the Steelers have had a free agent at FS (except for the two years that Chris Hope started): Brent Alexander, the aforementioned Hope, and Ryan Clark.

For whatever reason (maybe FS is easier to pick up), the Steelers have been able to plug a FS in right off if the street.

As far as the cap goes, Byrd wouldn't have been that much more costly.

Like I said, it's done with. Worilds is who they decided to downs $10 million on. And, I hope that Worilds stays healthy enough to continue his "sack per game" pace.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:30 AM   #107
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmagyar View Post
Assuming as some suggested Woodley is gone after June 1st. Teams still can sign Worilds up until July something. So the Steelers could lose both.
I don't think that it's that late. Unlike other FAs, players who are tagged (franchise or transitional) only have a certain window in which they can be signed away.

Does anyone know the exact date?
The Following User Says Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
steelfury02 (03-04-2014)
Old 03-04-2014, 07:02 AM   #108
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Member Number: 15497
Thanked 1,333 Times in 517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
Yep.

Not two R1 picks… nor even one R1 pick. Those are the compensatory picks for a franchise tagged player.

But, if he leaves, the Steelers would garner a R3 pick (just like Wallace).
Maybe that's the plan. Push his price up so a team with a lot of cap space overpays him even more, so for sure we get a 3rd round pick.
SH-Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SH-Rock For This Useful Post:
steelfury02 (03-04-2014)
Old 03-04-2014, 07:15 AM   #109
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,053 Times in 1,960 Posts
My Mood: Fine

soooo, eff you Lamar Woodley, then?

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:17 AM   #110
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,053 Times in 1,960 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
I don't think that it's that late. Unlike other FAs, players who are tagged (franchise or transitional) only have a certain window in which they can be signed away.

Does anyone know the exact date?
awkward how SI is putting it on paper - reads like March 11 at 11 pm? so 1 week to figure this out? right, wrong?

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote