Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 03-03-2014, 08:15 PM   #71
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 11,334 Times in 4,522 Posts
My Mood: Tired
Default Re: Jason Worilds Given Transition Tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by WokeUpWithaWoodley View Post
I don't think anyone can hate the move.

Without worilds next year we are looking at jarvis/Woodley/carter......jarvis still is a unknown at this point needs to get stronger (I do believe he will be fine but still) Woodley I don't think we can count on him anymore which is a shame and Carter is nothing more than a special teamer,

Worilds yes can still be labeled as unknown but he outplayed all our outside linebackers last season and that to me is a good reason to keep him around. He's is differently. A different player when on the left.
Exactly. I think Jones will be a special player with some added strength and technique development, and some time on the field. But, Worilds seems like the most reliable OLB we have right now.

Carter in my opinion needs to be gone. Sylvester looked better at OLB than him, and I would bet Garvin would be much better as well.

True, unfortunately we can't count on Woodley. He's had too many years in a row now with injuries. He's a beast when he's healthy though.
harrison'samonster is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to harrison'samonster For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (03-03-2014), WokeUpWithaWoodley (03-03-2014)
Old 03-03-2014, 08:18 PM   #72
steelersfan299
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 24619

Very surpised, i don't know where the Steelers got the money for this move. They MUST cut Levi Brown at this point otherwise the only team with a worse cap will be the Cowboys. LaMarr Woodley and Ike Taylor's tenures could be ending soon
steelersfan299 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steelersfan299 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (03-03-2014)
Old 03-03-2014, 08:31 PM   #73
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
Thanked 1,119 Times in 536 Posts
My Mood: Drunk

It will not be hard to get under the cap. Cut Levi Brown, Ike Taylor, and Woodley June 1, all of which are moves that were already expected, and we're good to go. Not to mention now we have Worilds on the books as well included in that number, which was an unknown before.
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PhantomJB93 For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (03-03-2014)
Old 03-03-2014, 08:31 PM   #74
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
When you take into account not only this season, but the prior three and failure to be effective on the right side, it could be righting a prior wrong.

I'm rooting for him. I'd never root against any player on this team, but I'm worried about Worilds and whether or not 2013 was a flash in the pan. I hope not, but he really needs to register elite pass rushing numbers and develop his containment, as well as improve upon his ability to seal the edge in the run game.

Maybe as @harrisonsamonster said, the 9.75 was to buy a year and see whether or not he can be a 10+ sack, reliable edge rusher for this team. If not, locking him up would be Woodley all over again.
C'mon, SC. You can't really believe that the front office of the Pittsburgh Steelers is throwing that kind of money at Worilds purely to save some type of face? They are a much more savvy organization than that.

As I stated before, this gives them more time to evaluate his worth and get their house in order. It isn't killing them in the long run right now. Woodley is just as much of a question mark, but with a heftier price tag, recurring calf issues, and older. I'd rather take a chance on somebody who showed a little promise than a guy that keeps proving unreliable, uncommitted, and overpaid.

The bottom line is that the Steelers have bought themselves some time, flexibility, and are allowing the market to dictate Worilds' worth without committing prematurely to a long-term deal first. That's not a bad thing.

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buddha Bus For This Useful Post:
SH-Rock (03-03-2014)
Old 03-03-2014, 08:41 PM   #75
CNEW
Team Captain

Member Number: 25021
Thanked 1,017 Times in 471 Posts

I really doubt that Worilds will be playing on this tag next year. He will be getting some type of long term deal this offseason from us or someone else, I think that much can be guaranteed. There just isnt a reason for Worilds to NOT sign a long term deal. Just something to keep in mind.
CNEW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CNEW For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (03-03-2014), steelfury02 (03-04-2014), teegre (03-03-2014)
Old 03-03-2014, 08:55 PM   #76
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,502 Times in 3,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomJB93 View Post
It will not be hard to get under the cap. Cut Levi Brown, Ike Taylor, and Woodley June 1, all of which are moves that were already expected, and we're good to go. Not to mention now we have Worilds on the books as well included in that number, which was an unknown before.
The Steelers have a March 11 deadline to meet

This lengthy article was written before the transition tag was applied to Worilds

On March 11, the Pittsburgh Steelers—and every other NFL team for that matter—must be in compliance with the Rule of 51. According to Over the Cap, the rule stats that “only the top 51 cap charges (plus dead money) count towards a teams salary cap.”..

When about $1.352 million of unused cap space that will roll over to 2014 is included into these figures, the Steelers sit at just over $5.9 million above the 2014 salary-cap figure of $133 million.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...to-free-agency

The numbers for that article come from this link

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/cap-hit/

Trib-Review discusses impact of putting transition tag on Worilds

The transition tag will cost the Steelers $9.754 million against the Rule of 51 salary cap number that each team much meet by the start of the NFL's new year on March 11. The franchise tag would've cost the Steelers $11.455 million

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...#ixzz2uxEam7zO

By my arithmetic the Steelers have to shed $15.6 million by cuts or restructuring after the transition tag was put on Worilds.

Levi Brown takes care of $6.25 million - need to get rid of over $9 million more
Buddha Bus (03-03-2014), harrison'samonster (03-03-2014)
Old 03-03-2014, 09:03 PM   #77
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Member Number: 15497
Thanked 2,811 Times in 1,091 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
The Steelers have a March 11 deadline to meet

This lengthy article was written before the transition tag was applied to Worilds

On March 11, the Pittsburgh Steelers—and every other NFL team for that matter—must be in compliance with the Rule of 51. According to Over the Cap, the rule stats that “only the top 51 cap charges (plus dead money) count towards a teams salary cap.”..

When about $1.352 million of unused cap space that will roll over to 2014 is included into these figures, the Steelers sit at just over $5.9 million above the 2014 salary-cap figure of $133 million.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...to-free-agency

The numbers for that article come from this link

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/cap-hit/

Trib-Review discusses impact of putting transition tag on Worilds

The transition tag will cost the Steelers $9.754 million against the Rule of 51 salary cap number that each team much meet by the start of the NFL's new year on March 11. The franchise tag would've cost the Steelers $11.455 million

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...#ixzz2uxEam7zO

By my arithmetic the Steelers have to shed $15.6 million by cuts or restructuring after the transition tag was put on Worilds.

Levi Brown takes care of $6.25 million - need to get rid of over $9 million more
Also need to factor in Heath's contract. That should be a good 2-4 million.
SH-Rock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:07 PM   #78
CNEW
Team Captain

Member Number: 25021
Thanked 1,017 Times in 471 Posts

Brown will restructure as well.
CNEW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:09 PM   #79
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 25,520 Times in 10,354 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
With signing bonus wouldn't Byrd be a bigger cap hit than $11 million in 2014?
Probably... but, I'm not sure.

He was offered $9 million per year (the tag for safeties is $8.4 million) Using an educated guess, I'd say that he wants right around $11 million per year.

But, even if he wants as much as $12 million, it would only be $2.25 million more than Worilds. And, Byrd is easy better than a mere "$2.25 million more than Worilds."

Think about it this way, using two totally different players:
Let's say that the Chargers are about to lose Ryan Mathews to free agency. Mathews has been often injured, and only really produced for the last half of the past season. Now, for whatever reason, Megatron is available... for only $2.25 million more than Mathews.

Who do you sign?

One is an often injured player who "could" be top ten at his position... and the other is easily one of the two best at his respective position.

If Worilds signs with another team, so be it.
If he signs for $6.5 million per year, so be it.
If he plays one year, and then leaves, so be it.

BUT, if he signs a multi-year deal worth $8 million (or more) per season... ugh. That much money would have been far better served on a proven player: Byrd.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
steelfury02 (03-04-2014)
Old 03-03-2014, 09:16 PM   #80
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,502 Times in 3,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH-Rock View Post
Also need to factor in Heath's contract. That should be a good 2-4 million.
Agreed - I bet Troy will agree to take a cut - question is if they can get there without releasing Taylor or just decide to cut him - they are stuck with Woodley's number