Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 02-22-2014, 06:33 PM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,521 Times in 3,752 Posts
Default NFL to penalize use of N- word

NFL to penalize use of racial slur

The head of the Fritz Pollard Alliance, which monitors diversity in the NFL, expects the league to institute a rule where players would be penalized 15 yards for using the N-word on the field.

John Wooten, the head of the Fritz Pollard Alliance, anticipates that the NFL's competition committee will enact the rule at the owners' meeting next month.

"We did talk about it, I'm sure that you saw near the end of the year that Fritz Pollard (Alliance) came out very strong with the message that the league needs to do something about the language on the field," said Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome, who is on the league's competition committee. "So we did discuss over the last three days."

Newsome also said the committee talked about other slurs coming under any possible new rule, including homophobic slurs.

Wooten, who previously has urged all players to stop using the N-word, thinks the NFL will rule an automatic 15-yard penalty for first-time offenders and an ejection for second infractions.

"I will be totally shocked if the competition committee does not uphold us on what we're trying to do," Wooten said, according to CBSSports.com. "We want this word to be policed from the parking lot to the equipment room to the locker room.

"Secretaries, PR people, whoever, we want it eliminated completely and want it policed everywhere."

Wooten thinks the competition committee will officially agree to the rule next month before presenting it to the owners.

"I think they're going to do what needs to be done here," he said. "There is too much disrespect in the game."

The competition committee meets for several days in Naples, Fla., next week, where they will decide what will be presented to owners at league meetings in March.

"We will now go down to Naples starting next Friday and spend more time talking about it,'' Newsome said. "We had some officials in our meeting that actually out there on the field and hear the language. We'll be able to put all that together and if there's a need to we will present something to our owners in Orlando.

"With any rule that we put into play we have to look at it from A to Z and find out any unintended consequences as much as the consequences. So, as it was stated in our meeting, there are mics everywhere, so if something has been said it's probably going to be captured somewhere. So there will be an opportunity to get it verified if we have to."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10...al-slurs-games

Why stop there? What if someone calls DeCastro cracker, says Ben is fat, or, most hateful of all, someone calls Pouncey a Gator? Many words are hurtful.

Maybe Goodell should talk to Charles Barkley

I use the n-word. I'm going to continue to use the n-word with my black friends, with my white friends. They are my friends. ... But this debate goes back to the Paula Deen thing, where they're like, well, black people use it among themselves; it's in rap records. Listen, what I do with my black friends is not up to white America to dictate what's appropriate and inappropriate.

http://deadspin.com/charles-barkley-...snt-1465263583

Or maybe it will only be a penalty if a white player uses the N-word
harrison'samonster (02-22-2014)
Old 02-22-2014, 06:57 PM   #2
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 11,772 Times in 4,803 Posts
Default Re: NFL to penalize use of N- word

Well, every single team is going to be flagged 10 times a game now. Hey, if it's against the offense, we might be evening up the bullshit headshot calls though.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-22-2014), SteelCity4Life (02-23-2014)
Old 02-23-2014, 02:36 AM   #3
SteelCity4Life
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 23950

This calls for some Cartoon humor!!!

Win, loss, or tie; Steeler faithful till I die!
SteelCity4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelCity4Life For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-23-2014)
Old 02-23-2014, 07:22 AM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,099 Times in 4,593 Posts

the refs can't even decide if jerom Bettis says heads or tails. James Harrison better retire or he will get flagged on every single down for saying absolutely nothing. This is just another way, and much more simpler, for Roger Goodell to fix games.

all of the bitches and faggots should be in an uproar about their rights not being represented with this new rule
Old 02-23-2014, 09:07 AM   #5
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 6,311 Times in 2,985 Posts
My Mood: Devilish

They could just call unsportsmanlike conduct.

But really, what does the game lose if this is enforced?

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vis For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-23-2014)
Old 02-23-2014, 09:55 AM   #6
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
They could just call unsportsmanlike conduct.

But really, what does the game lose if this is enforced?
Where do you draw the line - is c***sucker and faggot hate speech against gays or just invective?

What about mother f***er - isn't that accusing someone of incest?

And why some racial epithets and not others? How about cracker?

Where do you draw the line and how the hell do you determine if enforcement is not arbitrary since the ref presumably has to hear it ? Can a coach throw a challenge and then go to replay? Will the refs be wearing audio recorders - will corroborating video evidence be required so lip reading can occur? You think fans gripe about bogus pass interference calls - wait until this is implemented

You think the league wants to deal with Richard Sherman making his game saving INT against the 49ers and the ref "hearing" Sherman call Crabtree a n***er and waving the play off?

More PR bullshit
43Hitman (02-23-2014), Buddha Bus (02-27-2014), SteelCityMom (02-25-2014)
Old 02-23-2014, 10:13 AM   #7
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Where do you draw the line - is c***sucker and faggot hate speech against gays or just invective?

What about mother f***er - isn't that accusing someone of incest?

And why some racial epithets and not others? How about cracker?

Where do you draw the line and how the hell do you determine if enforcement is not arbitrary since the ref presumably has to hear it ? Can a coach throw a challenge and then go to replay? Will the refs be wearing audio recorders - will corroborating video evidence be required so lip reading can occur? You think fans gripe about bogus pass interference calls - wait until this is implemented

You think the league wants to deal with Richard Sherman making his game saving INT against the 49ers and the ref "hearing" Sherman call Crabtree a n***er and waving the play off?

More PR bullshit
Does cracker offend you? You spelled it out fully but the n word you didn't. Why is that? Some things are offensive and some are not. Are you taking the position that you don't know which are which in your personal life or are you taking the position just as an internet argument? List the ones you say on your job.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:54 AM   #8
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
Does cracker offend you? You spelled it out fully but the n word you didn't. Why is that? Some things are offensive and some are not. Are you taking the position that you don't know which are which in your personal life or are you taking the position just as an internet argument? List the ones you say on your job.
Cracker does not offend me - OTOH if I was called a c***sucker or motherf***er I would be offended - but if I was a NFL player no flag would be thrown for those words.

I think the N-word is offensive - of course if I was called the N-word I would be puzzled as to why. But I cannot speak for what words on the playing field are most offensive to players, the majority of whom are black. And neither can Roger Goodell, who will make the call

In addition to the Charles Barkley quote I posted above, this is from Michael Wilbon on use of the N-word.

I have a problem with—and excuse me here—white people framing the discussion for the use of the n-word. ... David Stern, Roger Goodell ... they need to call in some people who look a little different from them in to make that call, to figure out how we're going to address this. But unilaterally, sitting on high, telling black folks how to speak, that doesn't go.

http://deadspin.com/charles-barkley-...snt-1465263583

Nobody in the stands or watching the game hears what is said - so I guess this is intended to protect the players (or the refs/or the coaches?) from a hostile work environment. If that is the case, walk me through why you think this is the only word that should merit a penalty. As you appear to agree, hostile work environments in the private sector arise from use of other words. Or if it is not the case, why do you think only the N-word is being flagged? Should the league send out a questionnaire and ask players which words are most hurtful in order that the refs will have a list that reflects the words players find most hostile?

I think it is arbitrary PR bullshit.

Or maybe Goodell thinks it is time to update the words in this George Carlin routine

Old 02-23-2014, 11:03 AM   #9
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Read the taunting rule.

http://www.nfl.com/static/content/pu...er_Conduct.pdf

Page 11

Among the acts the league considers to be unsportsmanlike are:

Using baiting or taunting acts or words that engender ill will between teams.

Prolonged or excessive celebrations or demonstrations by an individual player. Players are prohibited from engaging in any celebrations or demonstrations while on the ground. A celebration or demonstration shall be deemed excessive or prolonged if a player continues to celebrate or demonstrate after a warning from an official.

Two or more players engaging in prolonged, excessive, premeditated, or choreographed celebrations or demonstrations.

Possession or use of foreign or extraneous object(s) that are not part of the uniform during the game on the field or the sideline, or using the ball as a prop.

Removal of his helmet by a player in the field of play during a celebration or demonstration, or during a confrontation with a game official or any other player.

I'm fine with the n word being one too. I'm surprised it wasn't always covered anyway. I don't believe anyone is genuinely confused by what is offensive verbally.

Old 02-23-2014, 11:11 AM   #10
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Quote:
But I cannot speak for what words on the playing field are most offensive to players, the majority of whom are black. And neither can Roger Goodell, who will make the call
As for the suggestion of it being white people in management deciding for black players, I'll let Ozzie Newsome speak. since he's one of those white management types.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...r-use-of-nword