Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 03-06-2014, 10:23 AM   #1
JonM229
Living Legend

Member Number: 24803
Thanked 8,983 Times in 3,099 Posts
My Mood: Crappy
Default China Releases White Paper on US Human Rights Abuses

It's rather lengthy, so I'll quote the Foreword and leave a link to the rest

Full Text of Human Rights Record of the United States in 2013

Quote:
The State Department of the United States, which posed as "the world judge of human rights," made arbitrary attacks and irresponsible remarks on the human rights situation in almost 200 countries and regions again in its just-released Country Reports on Human Rights Practices for 2013. However, the U.S. carefully concealed and avoided mentioning its own human rights problems. In fact, there were still serious human rights problems in the U.S in 2013, with the situation in many fields even deteriorating.

-- In 2013, 137 people died in 30 mass killings, which caused four or more deaths each, in the U.S.. A shooting rampage in the headquarters of the Naval Sea Systems Command in Washington, D.C. left 12 people dead.

-- The U.S. engaged in a tapping program, code-named PRISM, exercising long-term and vast surveillance both at home and abroad. The program is a blatant violation of international law and seriously infringes on human rights.

-- The use of solitary confinement is prevalent in the U.S.. About 80,000 U.S. prisoners are in solitary confinement in the country. Some have even been held in solitary confinement for over 40 years.

-- The U.S. still faces grave employment situation with its unemployment rate remained high. Rates of unemployment for the lowest-income families have topped 21 percent. The homeless population in the U.S. kept swelling and it had climbed 16 percent from 2011 to 2013.

-- There are a large amount of child laborers in the agricultural sector in the U.S. and their physical and mental health was seriously harmed.

-- Frequent drone strikes by the U.S. in countries including Pakistan and Yemen have caused heavy civilian casualties. The U.S. has carried out 376 drone strikes in Pakistan since 2004, causing deaths of up to 926 civilians.

-- The U.S. remains a country which has not ratified or participated in a series of core UN conventions on human rights, such as the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights, the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women, the Convention on the Rights of the Child, and the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities.
Still beats living in China

"I don't know about you Joe, but I would say that qualifies as elite." -Barack Obama
JonM229 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JonM229 For This Useful Post:
fer522 (03-06-2014), harrison'samonster (03-06-2014)
Old 03-06-2014, 10:32 AM   #2
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 6,482 Times in 2,390 Posts
Default Re: China Releases White Paper on US Human Rights Abuses

Quote:
There are a large amount of child laborers in the agricultural sector in the U.S. and their physical and mental health was seriously harmed.
They learned work ethic on the family farm?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MACH1 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (03-06-2014)
Old 03-06-2014, 11:07 AM   #3
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 6,322 Times in 2,991 Posts
My Mood: Pensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post
They learned work ethic on the family farm?
No, it's underage migrant workers

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vis For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (03-06-2014)
Old 03-06-2014, 11:15 AM   #4
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 6,482 Times in 2,390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
No, it's underage migrant workers
I'm a migrant, learn something new every day.

Quote:
Large amount of child labors in agriculture. According to the 2012 childhood agricultural injury survey conducted by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, 41,310 youth under the age of 16 were hired on farms. But a representative from the Children in the Fields Campaign believed there were about 400,000 to 500,000 kids who were working in the fields in 2012. Some types of chores, such as agricultural machine operation and pesticide spraying, have directly threatened children's health, security, or even life (www.usatoday.com, October 25, 2013). Statistics released by the National Children's Center For Rural And Agricultural Health and Safety in December 2013 showed that 38 children were injured in agriculture-related accidents each day in the U.S.. In March, 2013, the National Public Radio and the Public Broadcasting System broadcast in-depth stories about a 14-year-old child who was engulfed by grain and killed while working in a silo in Illinois. And 20 percent of the victims of grain engulfment are young workers (stopchildlabor.org, March 29, 2013).

Funny it doesn't say anything about "underage migrant workers".

I'm not saying there aren't any underage migrant workers or that there may be problems in that area.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:22 AM   #5
JonM229
Living Legend

Member Number: 24803
Thanked 8,983 Times in 3,099 Posts
My Mood: Crappy

Quote:
I'm going to need to see your papers, son.

"I don't know about you Joe, but I would say that qualifies as elite." -Barack Obama
JonM229 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JonM229 For This Useful Post:
fer522 (03-06-2014), harrison'samonster (03-06-2014), MACH1 (03-06-2014)
Old 03-06-2014, 11:29 AM   #6
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 6,322 Times in 2,991 Posts
My Mood: Pensive

Quote:

Funny it doesn't say anything about "underage migrant workers".

I'm not saying there aren't any underage migrant workers or that there may be problems in that area.
Doesn't say "illegal" either. But what do you think they are?

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:31 AM   #7
fer522
ACERERO

Archery 2000 Champion! Archery Champion! Galaxians Champion! Apple Shooter Champion!
Member Number: 16190
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,059 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Quote:
Imma call INS on you ass wait....will they know who the caller is?
harrison'samonster (03-06-2014), JonM229 (03-06-2014), MACH1 (03-06-2014)
Old 03-06-2014, 11:49 AM   #8
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,542 Times in 3,762 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM229 View Post

Quote:
The State Department of the United States, which posed as "the world judge of human rights," made arbitrary attacks and irresponsible remarks on the human rights situation in almost 200 countries and regions again in its just-released Country Reports on Human Rights Practices for 2013. However, the U.S. carefully concealed and avoided mentioning its own human rights problems. In fact, there were still serious human rights problems in the U.S in 2013, with the situation in many fields even deteriorating.
Full Text of Human Rights Record of the United States in 2013
Vladamir Putin endorses this message
harrison'samonster (03-06-2014), JonM229 (03-06-2014)
Old 03-06-2014, 11:49 AM   #9
Bane
Head Coach

Member Number: 24775
Thanked 3,457 Times in 1,395 Posts

Can you blame China, when we do bullshit like this?

Quote:

U.S. Senate Republicans block veterans' health bill on budget worry

By Richard Cowan

(Reuters) - U.S. Senate Republicans blocked legislation on Thursday that would have expanded federal healthcare and education programs for veterans, saying the $24 billion bill would bust the budget.

Even though the legislation cleared a procedural vote on Tuesday by a 99-0 vote, the measure quickly got bogged down in partisan fighting.

Supporters said the measure would have brought the most significant changes in decades to U.S. veterans' programs. For example, it called for 27 new medical facilities to help a healthcare system that is strained by veterans of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars.

With Democrats pressing for passage this week, Senate Republicans, backed by their leader, Mitch McConnell, attempted to attach controversial legislation calling for possible new sanctions on Iran that President Barack Obama opposes.

"The issue of Iran sanctions ... has nothing to do with the needs of veterans," complained Senate Veterans' Affairs Committee Chairman Bernard Sanders of Vermont, the main sponsor of the bill.

Republicans also raised budget concerns, forcing another key procedural vote that ended up killing the bill. By a vote of 56-41, the Senate failed to waive budget rules that would have allowed the bill to proceed. Sixty votes were needed and 41 of the chamber's 45 Republicans voted against the waiver.

Referring to recent budget deals that aim to bring down federal deficits, Republican Senator Jeff Sessions of Alabama said: "This bill would spend more than we agreed to spend. The ink is hardly dry and here we have another bill to raise that spending again."

The legislation had the backing of most veterans' organizations, but was doomed by deep disagreements between Democrats and Republicans that have made this Congress one of the least productive in decades.

Sanders, an independent who caucuses with Democrats, had hoped senators would, "rise above the day-to-day rancor and the party politics that we see on this floor almost every single day," and support a law affecting 22 million veterans, including more than 2 million who served in Iraq and Afghanistan.

With Thursday's vote, Congress sent another disjointed message to the nation's veterans.

In December, Congress passed a two-year budget deal that included a reduction in veterans' pension benefits. Weeks later, Congress did an about-face and repealed many of the cuts.

And early this week, with the initial 99-0 procedural vote on Sanders' bill, the Senate appeared to be delivering a strong show of support for veterans, only to see the legislation die in the Senate with Thursday's vote.

(Reporting by Richard Cowan. Editing by Andre Grenon)
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...A1Q26O20140227
Old 03-06-2014, 11:50 AM   #10
FanSince72
Team Owner

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 2,136 Times in 919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM229 View Post

Still beats living in China

For now.
JonM229 (03-06-2014), MasterOfPuppets (03-06-2014)