Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-06-2006, 07:45 AM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Cobbs hits the (play)book hard

Steelers Notebook: Cobbs hits the (play)book hard
Wednesday, September 06, 2006

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Patrick Cobbs has his head down more than normal these days, and it's not from disappointment that the New England Patriots traded him to the Steelers. That fact is the little halfback from Joe Greene's alma mater has his head buried in a playbook.

"Right now, it's just lot of learning," Cobbs said as he took his head out of his playbook for a quick interview. "I have to learn a whole new playbook and get caught up with these guys who have been doing it for two or three months.

"I'm just in my playbook every day and every night, just trying to learn this much and get it down as fast as I can to help this football team."

Cobbs, from North Texas State, likely won't be active for the opener tomorrow night against Miami ahead of Duce Staley. But as he picks up the Steelers' offense, he could make a case for playing. He played on every special teams in New England this summer.

"That will probably be an area I maybe can help this team out, too," Cobbs said. "Obviously, there are some good backs here. I have to get caught up first of all, and we'll see what happens."

He led the Patriots in the preseason with 188 yards rushing on 38 carries (4.9 average) and three touchdowns. He also caught seven passes for 115 yards and a touchdown.

A tough schedule

Denver coach Mike Shanahan successfully lobbied the NFL from scheduling the Broncos for the opener tomorrow in Heinz Field, citing it as unfair because his team's final exhibition game was on the road Thursday night.

Miami's Nick Saban, whose Dolphins played at home Thursday night, claims not to have tried to influence the scheduling.

"I never had anything to do with it in terms of whether we did or didn't," Saban said. "It's the same for both teams."

While there still are seven days between games, normal for an NFL regular-season schedule, there was a large cutdown between them as teams had to pare their rosters from 75 to 53 by Saturday evening. That's the same day the Steelers put in their game plan, which normally takes them into the early hours of the next morning. They turned around and added eight players to their practice squad Sunday. There also are other personnel issues as teams scour other teams' waiver lists or, in the case of the Steelers, pick up a player in a trade.

"It is difficult management," Saban said. "On the plus side of it, I think it's a great opportunity for our organization and our team to play a night game and open the season for our league. There are a lot of positives in it, too."

Bettis is busy

Jerome Bettis may have retired from the Steelers, but he'll be spending plenty of time in Pittsburgh this week.

Today, the Steelers will unveil Bettis' locker in the Coca-Cola Great Hall at Heinz Field. The ceremony begins at 5 p.m., with gates opening at 4:30 p.m. Parking is available in Gold Lot 1A. Also today, Bettis will sign autographs from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. at the unveiling of the DVD "Pittsburgh Steelers: Road to XL" at the Robinson Township Giant Eagle.

He will make his debut tomorrow night as a studio analyst for NBC television when the Steelers kick off the NFL season against the Miami Dolphins at Heinz Field.

On Friday, he will be back at Heinz Field beginning at 6:30 p.m. for the first Caring for Kids All-Star Event, presented by his The Bus Stops Here Foundation. Steelers backup quarterback Charlie Batch will receive the first Jerome Bettis Award for Humanity and Community Service. Tickets can be obtained through e-mail at savethedate_pgh@yahoo.com or by phoning 412-913-5957.

Injury update

Coach Bill Cowher upgraded wide receiver Hines Ward (hamstring) and center Chukky Okobi (knee) to probable for the game while downgrading tight end Jerame Tuman (hamstring) to doubtful.

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, out after an appendectomy, visited the Steelers' facility and attended practice last night but was unavailable for interviews.

The rest are listed as probable: cornerback Chidi Iwuoma (concussion), safety Mike Logan (ankle), offensive tackle Willie Colon (hamstring), offensive tackle Max Starks (knee). The Dolphins list guard Joe Berger (foot) as out and cornerback Travis Daniels (ankle) as questionable.

Advisory

The Steelers have advised fans to arrive early and be in their seats no later than 8 p.m. for the game tomorrow. A special pregame program featuring Martina McBride, Rascal Flatts and a ceremony commemorating the Steelers' five Super Bowl titles will take place. An official Steelers Terrible Towel wave will take place before kickoff and will be led by Corey O'Connor, the youngest son of late Pittsburgh Mayor Bob O'Connor.

Captains picked

The players elected captains for the season -- on offense Hines Ward and Alan Faneca; on defense, James Farrior and Joey Porter; on special teams Sean Morey and Clint Kriewaldt.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06249/719345-66.stm
Old 09-06-2006, 07:59 AM   #2
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413
Default Re: Cobbs hits the (play)book hard

Great to see Cobbs getting in the black and gold groove!

For those going to the game tomorrow night - you're in for a treat! Not only do you get to be there for the commemorative ceremony for the Steelers 5 SB wins, you will be entertained by Martina McBride (best female country singer out there!) and Rascal Flatts! You won't be disappointed even if you aren't into country. Have a great time!

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 08:48 AM   #3
floodcitygirl
Team Owner

Member Number: 1784

Anyone know if they'll broadcast the ceremony and other pregame stuff?

Thanks to MeanJoe for surprising me with my new sig.
floodcitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 09:03 AM   #4
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
Great to see Cobbs getting in the black and gold groove!

For those going to the game tomorrow night - you're in for a treat! Not only do you get to be there for the commemorative ceremony for the Steelers 5 SB wins, you will be entertained by Martina McBride (best female country singer out there!) and Rascal Flatts! You won't be disappointed even if you aren't into country. Have a great time!
Thanks. I'm not a country fan at all, but I will give them both a chance. I've never listened to either of them before. Are they both country? I know McBride sings country music, but are the Rascall Flatts country or are they RNR?
Old 09-06-2006, 09:18 AM   #5
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
Thanks. I'm not a country fan at all, but I will give them both a chance. I've never listened to either of them before. Are they both country? I know McBride sings country music, but are the Rascall Flatts country or are they RNR?
They are country...one of the more popular groups...(I'm personally not a big fan)..but McBride has one of the greatest voices in music.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 03:55 PM   #6
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

First off... I love Martina McBride.. she is a good lookin' older woman...my wife agree's ...hehehehee
Rascal Flats aint too bad.. But I am very jealous not gettin' to go to the game tomorow night but I hope all of you have fun and ....GO BLACKNGOLD!!!
God Bless
Elvis
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote