Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 04-05-2014, 04:34 AM   #1
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,567 Times in 1,508 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default NFL notebook: Titans release RB Chris Johnson

By The Tribune-Review

Published: Friday, April 4, 2014, 9:39 p.m.
Updated 5 hours ago

The CJ2K era is over in Tennessee, just the latest step by the Titans in their franchise makeover.

The Titans told Chris Johnson they are releasing him Friday after six seasons to avoid paying $8 million the running back is due in 2014, along with the final three seasons left on the $53.5 million contract he signed in September 2011. His release comes before the Titans start their offseason program Monday with new coach Ken Whisenhunt.

General manager Ruston Webster said the Titans thank Johnson for his contributions, setting so many franchise records and being durable over his six seasons with Tennessee.

“We have had an open dialogue with Chris' agent, Joel Segal, over the last few weeks, and we appreciate the patience and professionalism they have shown throughout this process,” Webster said in statement. “We made an effort to trade Chris but were unable to do so.”

The Titans have been busy working to replace Johnson, who turns 29 in September. They agreed with Dexter McCluster on a three-year deal at the start of free agency after signing Shonn Greene in March 2013. The Titans also re-signed Jackie Battle recently, along with reaching a one-year deal for kick returner and running back Leon Washington on March 11.

Adding another running back in the May draft also is expected.

It didn't help that Johnson repeatedly said he wouldn't take a pay cut. The Titans didn't face a deadline that would have guaranteed the $8 million Johnson was due in 2014 until the first week of the regular season, but Johnson planned to report for the start of the offseason program Monday.

He flew into Nashville late Thursday night to meet with the Titans on Friday.

Saints agree to terms with Champ Bailey

Champ Bailey will get to chase a Pro Bowl record and another Super Bowl appearance with the Saints.

The veteran cornerback agreed to a two-year contract with the Saints.

The 35-year-old Bailey played the last 10 seasons with Denver after spending his first five in the NFL with Washington. A shutdown cornerback for much of his career, Bailey has made three All-Pro teams and been selected to 12 Pro Bowls. He trails only Hall of Fame end Reggie White (13) among defensive players in NFL history in Pro Bowls.

Bailey's 52 interceptions are the most among active players, as are his 204 passes defensed. He made the league's All-Decade team for 2000-09.

“We are excited to be able to add a future Hall of Fame player with the addition of Champ Bailey,” Saints general manager Mickey Loomis said. “His career accomplishments mirror that of his high character, and he's a very prideful and competitive player who we believe will add to our defense.”

Bailey missed 11 games because of a left foot sprain originally suffered in the 2013 preseason, which wound up being a Lisfranc injury, one of the most painful for an athlete.

He returned late in the season to help the Broncos advance to the Super Bowl, where they were routed by Seattle.

Seattle locks up coach Pete Carroll with extension

The Seahawks have locked up coach Pete Carroll with a three-year contract extension after he led the franchise to its first Super Bowl title.

The Seahawks announced the extension Friday. Carroll's original five-year deal, signed with the team in January 2010 and worth a reported $35 million, was set to expire after the 2014 season.

Carroll has proven his attitude and approach can work in the NFL during his third stint as a head coach at the pro level. He's preached competition with his players and it has shown with the emergence of stars like quarterback Russell Wilson and cornerback Richard Sherman.

Carroll is 38-26 in four regular seasons with Seattle and 5-2 in the playoffs. At age 62, Carroll is the second-oldest head coach in the NFL.

Bills land WR Williams in trade with Bucs

Receiver Mike Williams is returning home to Buffalo after being acquired by the Bills in a trade with the Buccaneers.

The trade, contingent on Williams passing a physical, addresses a significant need for the Bills by adding an experienced, proven starter to what had been a young group of receivers. In exchange, the Bills gave up a sixth-round draft pick.

At 6-foot-2 and 212 pounds, Williams has topped 900 yards receiving in two of his four seasons. That includes 2010, when he led NFL rookies with 65 catches, 964 yards and 11 touchdowns.

He comes to Buffalo with a hefty price tag a year after signing a six-year, $40 million contract. Injuries limited Williams to just six games last season, when he finished with 22 catches for 216 yards and two touchdowns.

Williams grew up in Buffalo, where he was a high school star. He then spent three seasons at Syracuse, where he played under current Bills coach Doug Marrone before abruptly quitting the team during his junior season.

Safety Adrian Wilson released by Patriots

New England released safety Adrian Wilson. The 13-year veteran and four-time All-Pro did not play a snap for the Patriots in his one season with the team after hurting his ankle in the preseason. He spent all of 2013 on injured reserve.

Wilson spent his first 12 seasons with the Cardinals. Wilson has played in 181 career games with 162 starts, making 716 tackles, 25½ sacks and 27 interceptions.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/nfl/58916...#ixzz2y0F8iJ55
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook
Old 04-05-2014, 10:22 AM   #2
GodfatherofSoul
Head Coach
Supporter

Spellbound Champion! Add Like Mad Champion! Yeti Sports 1- Long Shot Version Champion! X-Training Champion! Commando Champion!
Member Number: 14842
Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,048 Posts
Default Re: NFL notebook: Titans release RB Chris Johnson

SHFVM
harrison'samonster (04-05-2014), NSMaster56 (04-05-2014)
Old 04-05-2014, 10:59 AM   #3
Blacksburg Zach
Team President
Supporter

Super Mario Flash Champion! Ragnarok Champion!
Member Number: 24584
Thanked 2,724 Times in 1,035 Posts
My Mood: Aggressive

1 year, vet minimum.
Wins are a team statistic, not a quarterback statistic.

Winning big will not earn a team two wins, nor will winning ugly give a team only half a win.
Blacksburg Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blacksburg Zach For This Useful Post:
Fire Arians (04-07-2014), harrison'samonster (04-05-2014)
Old 04-05-2014, 11:47 AM   #4
lasteel
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 25292

I'm thinking Jets. They want a fast team to go with Vick.
lasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lasteel For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (04-05-2014)
Old 04-05-2014, 11:59 AM   #5
NSMaster56
Living Legend

Member Number: 23979
Thanked 4,546 Times in 1,993 Posts

ATL: They've needed a RB for at least two years now (since 'Burner' Turner broke down).

IND: Trent Richardson cost the Colts their first rounder and earned 2.9 YPC...

SF: Frank Gore can't play forever.

Longer shots:

BAL: Do they have cap room? They could do worse in terms of Rice/Pierce insurance.

DAL: 'Splash' signing. Jerry likes those. He's also likely to believe that CJ2K is the player who will get the Cowboys 'over the hump' (which hump that is, since the Cowboys have so many, I do not know).

NE: Because it's what they do. The power and magic of putting on a Pats jersey re-earns CJ2K his nickname.
NSMaster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NSMaster56 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (04-05-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 11:44 AM   #6
Blacksburg Zach
Team President
Supporter

Super Mario Flash Champion! Ragnarok Champion!
Member Number: 24584
Thanked 2,724 Times in 1,035 Posts
My Mood: Aggressive

Titans Cut Only Player On Team Anyone Has Ever Heard Of

By PFM Staff Updated: April 4, 2014

NASHVILLE – In a long-expected move, the Titans released former pro bowl RB Chris Johnson early Friday morning, clearing over $4 million dollars in salary cap space while simultaneously losing the only player on their roster that anyone has ever actually heard of, according to fanbase sources from the league’s 31 other franchises.

“I was surprised to hear the Titans let Chris Johnson go,” claimed Chicago Bears fan Dominic Montelli, 32, of Danforth, IL. “I guess now they’ll have to rely on their other players, um… wait, don’t tell me. They have a receiver who’s been arrested a bunch of times, right? Blackmon, or something? No wait, that’s Jacksonville.”

“It’s going to be weird to watch the Titans play without seeing Chris Johnson,” added Dolphins supporter Amanda Benson of Kendall, FL. “Not that I watch Tennessee play anyway. But if I did, it’d be weird, you know? I guess now when we think ‘Tennessee Titans’ instead of thinking about Chris Johnson, we’ll think about… well, they must have some other players I’ve heard of, right? Oh yeah, Kerry Collins! Shit, no, he’s been retired for years.”

In a press conference earlier today, the Titans explained their reasoning behind the release of the six-year veteran RB.

“We greatly appreciate the contributions made by Chris Johnson to our team, and wish him well as he continues his NFL career,” said Titans G.M. Ruston Webster. “But we chose to release him today because we felt it was time to focus on developing the many other talented players on our roster like, um, let me see, I think we have a tight end that’s kind of famous, right? Oh and that safety, the one who injures all the Patriots players. Don’t we have him too? Bertrand something? Wait, let me Google the words ‘Titans’ and ‘roster’ to see who we have. There must be some names I recognize, right?”

http://profootballmock.com/titans-cu...ne-ever-heard/
Wins are a team statistic, not a quarterback statistic.

Winning big will not earn a team two wins, nor will winning ugly give a team only half a win.
Blacksburg Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blacksburg Zach For This Useful Post:
JonM229 (04-07-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 11:46 AM   #7
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 10,954 Times in 4,548 Posts

Patriots make a lot of sense.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote