Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Sports Dimension

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 03-14-2014, 02:44 PM   #1
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 6,250 Times in 2,963 Posts
My Mood: Sick
Default NHL Player Reaches Out To 11-Year-Old Kid Bullied By Opposing Fans

Jake Lotocki is an 11-year-old fan of the New York Islanders, but because he lives in Winnipeg, he rarely gets to see the team he loves play in person. That changed last week, when Lotocki’s parents took him to the MTS Centre to see the Isles play his hometown team, the Winnipeg Jets. At the game, though, Lotocki and his Islanders jersey drew the ire of some drunk and unruly Jets fans who didn’t like that he was supporting the opponent in their backyard.

The Winnipeg Sun told Lotocki’s story this week: he was so distraught by the behavior that on the way out of the arena, he wadded up his shirt — a #91 John Tavares jersey — and hid it to avoid further abuse. It’s an awful story on fan behavior that is unfortunately all too common at sporting events, and it could have ended there. But it didn’t.

Tavares, the Islanders’ center who’s out for the rest of the season rehabbing the knee he injured while helping Canada win Olympic gold in Sochi, heard the story. Through the team, Tavares reached out to Lotocki. The Sun has the details (via Sports Illustrated):
[Tavares] immediately called the team’s director of communications, Kimber Auerbach, who was with the Islanders as they played in Vancouver.

“He called me during the game and told me he wanted to do something for Jake,” Auerbach told the Sun, Wednesday.

After reading how Lotocki had to leave the arena with his jersey crumpled up so people wouldn’t see it, Tavares suggested sending the boy a new one, autographed by his favourite player.

Auerbach called the Lotocki home Tuesday night and told Jake’s mother of the team’s plans.

“It’s amazing,” Sue Lotocki said. “It’s quite impressive that somebody who was just Jake’s hockey hero turned out to be a true-life hero for him. He really appreciates him making the effort to reach out to Jake in that way. It means a lot to him.”

The Isles don’t return to Winnipeg this season, but they promised Jake that he could join Tavares and the rest of the team for a pre-game skate-around when they come back to the MTS Centre next year. The Jets, for their part, have told the family that they’re working to ensure such behavior doesn’t happen again. Fans can be terrible. At least, in this instance, their awful behavior brought out the best Tavares and the Islanders organization.

http://thinkprogress.org/default/201...opposing-fans/

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vis For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (03-14-2014), SteelCityMom (03-17-2014), SteelersCanada (03-14-2014)
Old 03-14-2014, 02:47 PM   #2
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Default Re: NHL Player Reaches Out To 11-Year-Old Kid Bullied By Opposing Fans

See.... I told everybody you can't trust those filthy Canadians!

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Buddha Bus For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (03-14-2014), SteelersCanada (03-14-2014), Vis (03-14-2014)
Old 03-14-2014, 02:48 PM   #3
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

That's why Jets go missing

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vis For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (03-14-2014), harrison'samonster (03-14-2014)
Old 03-14-2014, 02:55 PM   #4
CanSteel7
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 25607

It's absolutely disgraceful! I guess those cowards couldn't pick on adults because they may, you know, fight back so instead you pick on an 11 year old! Just priceless. Ah Winnipeg, where the highlight of the day for some people is tipping cows. Once that is done, and since there is not much more to do in Winnipeg after you are done tipping cows over you get drunk and pick on kids! Day complete!
CanSteel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CanSteel7 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (03-14-2014), Vis (03-14-2014)
Old 03-14-2014, 03:01 PM   #5
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

I the kid had been a Leafs fan he wouldn't have walked out of there in one piece.

The Following User Says Thank You to Vis For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (03-14-2014)
Old 03-14-2014, 06:36 PM   #6
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 11,694 Times in 4,774 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
I the kid had been a Leafs fan he wouldn't have walked out of there in one piece.
The ACC is mostly suits now. The only time it ever gets rowdy or heated are when Habs fans come into town and, let's be honest here, they'll usually start it/bring it on themselves.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (03-14-2014)
Old 03-17-2014, 01:28 PM   #7
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,145 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

I've heard Jets fans in general are terrible. Maybe SteelersCanada can remember, but a player was just recently (within the past couple of weeks) helped off the ice with an injury, and the fans were booing him. Not surprised at all they'd heckle a little kid. They are like the Philly of Canada I think haha.

Great job by Tavares though reaching out to this kid. Hockey players are the best.
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelCityMom For This Useful Post:
SteelersCanada (03-17-2014)
Old 03-17-2014, 03:47 PM   #8
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 11,694 Times in 4,774 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMom View Post
I've heard Jets fans in general are terrible. Maybe SteelersCanada can remember, but a player was just recently (within the past couple of weeks) helped off the ice with an injury, and the fans were booing him. Not surprised at all they'd heckle a little kid. They are like the Philly of Canada I think haha.

Great job by Tavares though reaching out to this kid. Hockey players are the best.
Completely agree with the Philly comparison. Though, they live in Winnipeg - there's absolutely shit all out there. I pity Jets fans.

I also get a laugh every time the Jets come into St. Louis. One, it's usually a win for the Blues and two, they boo captain Andrew Ladd. Being an ex-Blackhawk in St. Louis is rough.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
SteelCityMom (03-17-2014)