Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 03-22-2014, 10:52 AM   #11
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,417 Times in 3,309 Posts
Default Re: Another marriage equality victory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
When is the first case hitting the Ct of Appeals? That's when it gets interesting.
Looks like there are pending appeals in the Fourth (Virginia), Fifth (Texas), Sixth (Kentucky and Michigan), and Tenth (Oklahoma and Utah) Circuits

The rationales for appellate court opinions will be interesting but my guess is the Supreme Court will stay any appellate decision affirming a district court ruling that struck down a ban on same sex marriage. Which means we wait for this to get back to the Supreme Court - will be interesting to see if that happens for the 2014-15 term or whether the Supreme Court's next decision comes down during the 2016 election season. GOP presumably does not want this to be a big issue in the 2016 campaign.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:17 PM   #12
PeckerWood
Team President

Member Number: 13275
Thanked 2,502 Times in 1,252 Posts
My Mood: Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
children fared just as well with same-sex parents.
I could see bragging about having two mommies which could be pretty cool, not so much bragging about two daddies unless I was a gay child. being a straight male having two daddies as a child would've freaked me out a little when they would be showing their love for each other around you.
PeckerWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 12:26 PM   #13
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 5,213 Times in 2,564 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeckerWood View Post
I could see bragging about having two mommies which could be pretty cool, not so much bragging about two daddies unless I was a gay child. being a straight male having two daddies as a child would've freaked me out a little when they would be showing their love for each other around you.
What freaks you out isn't the standard and if you grew up with acceptance, it wouldn't.

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vis For This Useful Post:
Atlanta Dan (03-22-2014), steelax04 (03-26-2014)
Old 03-22-2014, 12:31 PM   #14
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 5,213 Times in 2,564 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Michigan Starts Issuing Marriage Licenses to Same-Sex Couples

Same-sex couples in several counties in Michigan didn’t waste any time and started getting married on Saturday, mere hours after a judge scrapped a 10-year ban on marriage equality from the state constitution. Glenna DeJohn, 53, and Marsha Caspar, 51, were the first same-sex couple to be married shortly after Ingham County Clerk Barb Byrum opened the courthouse doors at 8 a.m. The couple that has been together for 27 years had initially planned to get married Monday but rushed to the courthouse after DeJong saw on Twitter that Byrum planned to issue marriage licenses on Saturday. “I’ve never seen her get up so fast, especially on a weekend,” DeJong said of Caspar, according to the Detroit News. “We couldn’t wait and plan. We just had to act.” In the first hour, Byrum married three same-sex couples.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slate..._michigan.html

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 12:55 PM   #15
PeckerWood
Team President

Quote:
What freaks you out isn't the standard and if you grew up with acceptance, it wouldn't.
I guess its electrical shook therapy for me. but a gay guy who finds a women distasteful is ok.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:21 PM   #16
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Quote:
I guess its electrical shook therapy for me. but a gay guy who finds a women distasteful is ok.
Meaning.....

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 01:34 PM   #17
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
I understand your personal opinion but consider the possibility we are all a function of our upbringing - if you were raised by 2 men who loved you perhaps you would think differently. And being a child of divorced heterosexual parents or heterosexual parents in a f***ed up marriage probably is no day at the beach

FWIW the district judge in Michigan considered the best "experts" the opponents of same sex marriage had and called bullshit on their testimony
Old 03-22-2014, 01:35 PM   #18
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
- meaning what?
Old 03-23-2014, 06:43 PM   #19
PeckerWood
Team President

Quote:
first off Vis you don't know me so you don't what my standard is. I've never stepped foot in a church for worship just a few weddings and in my opinion marriage is just another way for religion to control man and future generations to control as much of the worlds money as it can. remember religion at on time damn near controlled all the worlds money.

myself I don't care who marries who and who raises who because imo there's important things man and woman can be working on then running the marriage bullshit through the court system.

I just find women sexually attractive not men just my point of view if you don't like it then just sue me. but I'm not homophobic.

there is no heaven or hell people do have a conscious but no soul.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:36 PM   #20
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 20,845 Times in 8,667 Posts
My Mood: Dead

I once heard Michael Savage talking about gay couples adopting kids. (It should be noted, for those of you who don't know Michael Savage: he's more conservative than Pat Buchanon.)

CALLER: They're allowing gays to adopt children.
SAVAGE: And...???
CALLER: They're gay...
SAVAGE: And...???
CALLER: (some derision towards gays)
SAVAGE: So, you're saying that gays shouldn't be allowed to adopt a child simply because they're gay???
CALLER: Obviously.
SAVAGE: No, it's not obvious.
CALLER: You don't have a problem with that!?!
SAVAGE: Why would I? Why wouldn't I want a child to go to a loving home? What... you think that heterosexual couples are automatically more stable? I'd rather a child be in a loving, caring environment, gay or not, than in an abusive or dysfunctional household... or worse, in an orphanage.

Score one for Savage. Possibly his only point, but a point nonetheless.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (03-24-2014), JonM229 (03-24-2014)