Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 03-25-2014, 05:08 PM   #11
CanSteel7
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 25607
Default Re: Bills owner and founder Ralph Wilson dead at 95

Ralph Wilson was a great owner, great community advocate who wanted to have his team in the B'low. J. Bettis said it pretty good above, this is a sad day. Unfortunately, I can see the team moving because all that everyone cares about is money now. There is no such thing as loyalty to the community, fans any longer unfortunately, in a lot of NFL cities. We are so lucky to have the Rooney's own the Steelers!
CanSteel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CanSteel7 For This Useful Post:
Atlanta Dan (03-25-2014), harrison'samonster (03-25-2014), Vis (03-25-2014)
Old 03-25-2014, 06:31 PM   #12
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 6,233 Times in 2,960 Posts
My Mood: Sick

If his kids don't want it, I'll take it.

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:19 PM   #13
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,486 Times in 3,731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
If his kids don't want it, I'll take it.
No such luck - Mr. Wilson apparently believed in estate planning

The Buffalo Bills' franchise will be placed in a trust following the death of owner Ralph C. Wilson Jr., and no quick sale of the team is expected.

In fact, the trust is likely to control and manage the team for at least a couple of years before any sale of the team is arranged, both team and National Football League sources tell The News.

The death of the Bills' 95-year-old owner on Tuesday means the team eventually will be put up for sale by Wilson's estate. That was the plan Wilson laid out decades ago and one he vehemently stuck to in recent years as local worries about the future of the franchise increased.

Having a trust in control essentially keeps Wilson's management team in place for the near future. Could the trust operate the team for more than two years? Yes, according to sources close to the Bills.

Ultimately, however, Wilson's estate will have the fiduciary responsibility to take roughly the best offer it can get for the franchise.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bi...trust-20140325
harrison'samonster (03-25-2014)
Old 03-25-2014, 08:03 PM   #14
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,813 Times in 4,475 Posts

As a youth, my favorite player who was not a stealer was OJ Simpson. And if I had a favorite team of all time that was not the Steelers it would have been the Marv levy Jim Kelly, Bruce Smith led bills. That team was as close to the 70s steelers as we will ever see.

Bill Polian was on radio today and said if Wilson we're alive he would tell everyone not to pray for him and his family but for Jim Kelly as he battles his cancer.

Sad day for buffalo. I really hope kellys treatment is successful and he can wait many more years before he goes to meet Hunter in heaven.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:40 PM   #15
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
As a youth, my favorite player who was not a stealer was OJ Simpson. And if I had a favorite team of all time that was not the Steelers it would have been the Marv levy Jim Kelly, Bruce Smith led bills. That team was as close to the 70s steelers as we will ever see.

Bill Polian was on radio today and said if Wilson we're alive he would tell everyone not to pray for him and his family but for Jim Kelly as he battles his cancer.

Sad day for buffalo. I really hope kellys treatment is successful and he can wait many more years before he goes to meet Hunter in heaven.
True that for Jim Kelly - this picture of Kelly and his daughter watching the Syracuse game while he appears to have an IV (chemo?) in his arm is heartbreaking for anyone who has lost a loved one or friend to that awful disease

But he has his family and a strong support network

harrison'samonster (03-25-2014)
Old 03-25-2014, 09:16 PM   #16
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,813 Times in 4,475 Posts

Ugh...

that picture is hard to see. Jim Kelly is vastly underrated as one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time. He would be in my top three of favorites along with Terry Bradshaw and Ben Roethlisberger.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:52 AM   #17
kan_t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 21653

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
No such luck - Mr. Wilson apparently believed in estate planning

The Buffalo Bills' franchise will be placed in a trust following the death of owner Ralph C. Wilson Jr., and no quick sale of the team is expected.

In fact, the trust is likely to control and manage the team for at least a couple of years before any sale of the team is arranged, both team and National Football League sources tell The News.

The death of the Bills' 95-year-old owner on Tuesday means the team eventually will be put up for sale by Wilson's estate. That was the plan Wilson laid out decades ago and one he vehemently stuck to in recent years as local worries about the future of the franchise increased.

Having a trust in control essentially keeps Wilson's management team in place for the near future. Could the trust operate the team for more than two years? Yes, according to sources close to the Bills.

Ultimately, however, Wilson's estate will have the fiduciary responsibility to take roughly the best offer it can get for the franchise.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bi...trust-20140325
It's a sad day for the Bills fans. Without Wilson the Bills would have been moved to other place already. Wilson has tried everything to keep the team in Buffalo. By extending the lease agreement, the team will probably stay in the that area for the next few years. It's a shame that his family has no interested in football business.

R.I.P. Wilson.
kan_t is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kan_t For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (03-26-2014)
Old 03-26-2014, 04:59 AM   #18
kan_t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 21653

Wilson and Rooney were also the only owners who voted against the Art Modell's proposed move out of Cleveland. Owning a sport team is not only about money. It's also a commitment to the area. Wilson and Rooney realize that and they stick to this principle. Respect.
kan_t is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kan_t For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2014, 07:33 AM   #19
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 25,375 Times in 10,297 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
the Marv levy Jim Kelly, Bruce Smith led bills.
Marv Levy's retirement speech was one of the few things to ever bring tears to my eyes.

This is the line:
"Play hard, play fair, and remember that win or lose, you are still my guys."
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2014, 10:21 AM   #20
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
Wilson and Rooney were also the only owners who voted against the Art Modell's proposed move out of Cleveland. Owning a sport team is not only about money. It's also a commitment to the area. Wilson and Rooney realize that and they stick to this principle. Respect.
Agreed - the owners who bought in when making $$ off pro football was no sure thing (the Chief with the Steelers in the 1930's, Ralph Wilson with the founding of the AFL) are the foundation upon which the riches of the current owners rest

Funny story from Ed.B. of the P-G about Ralph Wilson showing off his new 80,000 seat stadium to the Chief in the 1970s

Art Rooney Sr. told me the story of how Ralph Wilson proudly showed him around shortly after the stadium opened, replacing the decrepit War Memorial. The Steelers did not play in the new stadium until 1978, so it might have been then. As Wilson wound down his grand tour with The Chief, Rooney turned to him and said something such as, “Nice place, Ralph. How ya gonna fill it if you don’t win?’’