Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2014, 05:00 PM   #1
Jpeezyiseternal
Bench Warmer
 
Jpeezyiseternal's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 323
Member Number: 24248
Thanks: 3
Thanked 127 Times in 85 Posts
Default They say we are taking a CB

Just read the 3 mock drafts over on NFL.COM and ALL 3 had us taking a cornerback

Check it out:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014
Jpeezyiseternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 05:43 PM   #2
Idioteque
Bench Warmer
 

Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 220
Member Number: 25859
Thanks: 55
Thanked 192 Times in 113 Posts
Default Re: They say we are taking a CB

In our system, a ballhawk or a jamming press guy aren't beneficial. It would be like taking a light wide-9 rusher like Bruce Irvin.
Idioteque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 05:53 PM   #3
Steel_Bus_24
Team Owner
 
Steel_Bus_24's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,919
Member Number: 2886
Thanks: 335
Thanked 1,265 Times in 620 Posts
Default Re: They say we are taking a CB

Ehh now more then ever we need another stud cb

Until proven otherwise our olbs are mediocre if not worse....and we need the extra man to man cover skills

If you remember back to 2012 the reason why our D was ranked so high was because our trio of Taylor, Lewis, and Allen....

Remember when we lost just Allen and the cowboys shredded us.....

When we had those three guys playing well we were like one of the few teams to keep the ravens and their two TEs sets in check.

Mannings no huddle is a different story, we will need our olbs to step up there, but don't undersell what 3 capable corners can do for our D
__________________

Also Known as SteelerSpartan

Last edited by Steel_Bus_24; 04-12-2014 at 07:09 PM.
Steel_Bus_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steel_Bus_24 For This Useful Post:
BKAnthem (04-12-2014), harrison'samonster (04-12-2014)
Old 04-12-2014, 06:24 PM   #4
OX1947
Living Legend
 
OX1947's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,936
Member Number: 723
Thanks: 232
Thanked 1,265 Times in 639 Posts
Default Re: They say we are taking a CB

TODD! TODD! TODD! TODD! TODD! TODD! TODD!
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OX1947 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (04-12-2014), pczach (04-12-2014)
Old 04-12-2014, 06:29 PM   #5
Idioteque
Bench Warmer
 

Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 220
Member Number: 25859
Thanks: 55
Thanked 192 Times in 113 Posts
Default Re: They say we are taking a CB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel_Bus_24 View Post
don't undersell what 3 capable corners can do for our D
Very little when your D scheme requires them to line up 12 yards off the LOS and values tackling over ball skills.

Our pass D is rooted on pressure and tackling, not coverage ability or ball skills. If you'd like to change that, I'm totally on board and ready to take a CB early. Otherwise, it's tits on a bull.
Idioteque is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Idioteque For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (04-12-2014)
Old 04-12-2014, 06:59 PM   #6
Steel_Bus_24
Team Owner
 
Steel_Bus_24's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,919
Member Number: 2886
Thanks: 335
Thanked 1,265 Times in 620 Posts
Default Re: They say we are taking a CB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idioteque View Post
Very little when your D scheme requires them to line up 12 yards off the LOS and values tackling over ball skills.

Our pass D is rooted on pressure and tackling, not coverage ability or ball skills. If you'd like to change that, I'm totally on board and ready to take a CB early. Otherwise, it's tits on a bull.
We didn't have much of a pass rush in 2012 either, and was top ranked almost solely because of our top 1-3 cbs ability to cover.
__________________

Also Known as SteelerSpartan
Steel_Bus_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steel_Bus_24 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (04-12-2014)
Old 04-12-2014, 07:35 PM   #7
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter
 
pczach's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 5,662
Gender: Male
Member Number: 24694
Thanks: 10,821
Thanked 9,783 Times in 3,796 Posts
My Mood: Amused
Default Re: They say we are taking a CB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idioteque View Post
Very little when your D scheme requires them to line up 12 yards off the LOS and values tackling over ball skills.

Our pass D is rooted on pressure and tackling, not coverage ability or ball skills. If you'd like to change that, I'm totally on board and ready to take a CB early. Otherwise, it's tits on a bull.
I get what you're saying, but just because the system has always been that, doesn't mean you can't add a guy that can play press coverage and incorporate it into the defense.

They don't have to line up 12 yards off the line of scrimmage. That part of the scheme can be adjusted to the talent. They showed they could do it in limited duty against the Patriots a few years ago. If you have the personnel, you can do man to man press coverage. LeBeau has made his living playing zone blitz defensive schemes, and running blitz packages off of that. If they have the talent on the roster to do it, they could mix the coverages into the defensive calls from the sideline to keep quarterbacks guessing, and giving them different looks all game to keep them off balance.

Cortez Allen is a big corner that can play physically at the line of scrimmage. Add another corner that can play that style and you have something there.

The other thing about press coverage is that it interrupts the routes the receivers want to run and disrupts the timing of the play. It also gives the defensive front more time to get to the quarterback because of the physical play as the WRs have to fight to get off the line of scrimmage.

Of course, you already know that, and LeBeau is the man that has to adjust his philosophy to maximize the talent given to him. I just think that he is willing and able to do more of it if the team expresses a need to adjust the approach they take to stopping opposing passing offenses.
pczach is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pczach For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (04-12-2014), SteelerJT (04-12-2014), SteelersCanada (04-12-2014)
Old 04-12-2014, 07:44 PM   #8
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter
 
SteelersCanada's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 8,251
Member Number: 24400
Thanks: 6,347
Thanked 11,694 Times in 4,774 Posts
Default Re: They say we are taking a CB

Well, that's because we are.

Gilbert and Dennard are top shelf, elite players. Fuller is the next best thing, and then Verrett. Roby in the first round is a bad pick.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (04-12-2014), SteelerJT (04-12-2014)
Old 04-12-2014, 10:51 PM   #9
Idioteque
Bench Warmer
 

Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 220
Member Number: 25859
Thanks: 55
Thanked 192 Times in 113 Posts
Default Re: They say we are taking a CB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel_Bus_24 View Post
We didn't have much of a pass rush in 2012 either, and was top ranked almost solely because of our top 1-3 cbs ability to cover.
I'm not talking about the quality of the cornerbacks. I'm talking about the way they play and the value in that. I don't think LeBeau's system will make use of a top CB's talents.
Idioteque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:06 PM   #10
Idioteque
Bench Warmer
 

Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 220
Member Number: 25859
Thanks: 55
Thanked 192 Times in 113 Posts
Default Re: They say we are taking a CB

Quote:
Originally Posted by pczach View Post
I get what you're saying, but just because the system has always been that, doesn't mean you can't add a guy that can play press coverage and incorporate it into the defense.
You surely can, and I'd love to see it. But I'm not sure LeBeau will be doing that in his 80th year of coaching, lol.

Quote:
They don't have to line up 12 yards off the line of scrimmage. That part of the scheme can be adjusted to the talent. They showed they could do it in limited duty against the Patriots a few years ago.
They did it beautifully that week. Then abandoned it, rarely to use it again.

Quote:
If you have the personnel, you can do man to man press coverage. LeBeau has made his living playing zone blitz defensive schemes, and running blitz packages off of that. If they have the talent on the roster to do it, they could mix the coverages into the defensive calls from the sideline to keep quarterbacks guessing, and giving them different looks all game to keep them off balance.

Cortez Allen is a big corner that can play physically at the line of scrimmage. Add another corner that can play that style and you have something there.

The other thing about press coverage is that it interrupts the routes the receivers want to run and disrupts the timing of the play. It also gives the defensive front more time to get to the quarterback because of the physical play as the WRs have to fight to get off the line of scrimmage.

Of course, you already know that, and LeBeau is the man that has to adjust his philosophy to maximize the talent given to him. I just think that he is willing and able to do more of it if the team expresses a need to adjust the approach they take to stopping opposing passing offenses.
A lot of my opinion here comes from my bias against first-round CBs. I hate 'em, lol. It's such a fickle position; guys go from elite to garbage to mediocre to garbage on a yearly basis. It's a position so dependent on scheme (and the thick skin of the CB himself) that I've grown to just despise taking them that early.

It's also such a dependent position - dependent upon the rulebook. Beyond five yards (blink of an eye), there's so little a CB is allowed to do to affect the play. in Roger's NFL, his job after the five-yard mark is often to trot and hope the ball gets underthrown. They simply don't have as much opportunity to affect a play as other defensive positions.

So a lot of it's just me. But the seemingly poor success rate of first-round CBs scares me. Unless you're talking an ELITE player - elite athlete, elite skills - I'd pretty much always rather wait. I'm talking a Pat Peterson or a Joe Haden; otherwise, I think you get the same quality later on. I'm sure that if I were a GM I'd wind up passing on some solid CBs. Just my philosophy.
Idioteque is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts