Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2014 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 03-31-2014, 06:03 PM   #1
devin7558
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 23989
Default I want to talk about Aaron Donald one more time...

Ive had the last two days off. As a result I've been watching a ton of film on so many players. One of which is Aaron Donald. I must admit I was the first person to push him down my board as a classic "doesn't" fit the 3-4 defense type guy.

I was wrong actually.

There is a ton of game film on him playing in the nickel/dime sets both inside and on the outside. He consistently sets the edge hard, anchors or even just flat out wins with leverage (sort of like James Harrison his lack of height works positively for him). He abuses slower footed lineman whether they are guards, tackles or centers. He can't control two gaps at once like a classic 5 technique but he is so damn disruptive that he creates tons of space that Pitt Panther LB's cleaned up, many times for loss.

He is the most explosive DL in this draft not named Clowney and even then I think he's more ferocious. He rips, swims, bull rushs, speed rushes and gets through tight spaces in a flash. His instincts pre snap are one of the things that jumped out at me. Pitt gave him the freedom to move or shade the o-line from his 3 tech spot to zero technique and even all the way to 4 at times pre snap. He almost always chose the best spot and exploited the line. He's smart.

To sum this up, he is not the typical DE we would use but he would have so much value in a nickel role as a rookie rushing the interior and actually I think in our base 3-4 on the right side against slower lumbering RG's and RT's. He would be a nightmare....especially with Worilds and Polamalu playing in a line directly behind him. Lebeau could get creative with the zone blitz because Donald can actually drop in a short zone effectively.

With Dennard, Evans, Gilbert and other favorites likely off the board at 15 I'd like to see them get creative and draft him. He would be the BPA at a spot that we kind of need. DL has been hit the hardest in FA. NT is set for now with McClendon and Thomas. Our pass rush needs to improve. Donald would do that from day one.

Just a thought.
devin7558 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to devin7558 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (03-31-2014), Justp94 (04-03-2014), Steelstoned1972 (03-31-2014)
Old 03-31-2014, 06:09 PM   #2
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 8,969 Times in 3,713 Posts
My Mood: Mellow
Default Re: I want to talk about Aaron Donald one more time...

I wouldn't be upset. Especially if the top corners are off the board, and if the Steelers weren't impressed with Nix. Mosley might still be there at 15 though as well as Barr now I'm reading.

listed at 6-0 and 285 with a really good 40 and bench press. I will say this though, it seems he has short arms which will limit him in his effectiveness in our 3-4 more than anything that I can see about him. I'd be very cautious about taking him with a 1st round at #15.
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to harrison'samonster For This Useful Post:
devin7558 (04-01-2014), Steelstoned1972 (03-31-2014)
Old 04-01-2014, 09:51 AM   #3
devin7558
Bench Warmer

His tape is just so damn good!

Relatively short arms could be a problem at the next level, especially if he draws double teams. You need length to keep stronger fastee NFL lineman off your chest. I still think he is to quick for most and his first step and violent hands should help. He is not a direct scheme fit but I think they could adapt his skills to the 3-4 gradually. He'd be a stud in the nickel sets we ran 60% of the time last season. After his rookie season I think he will be capable of racking up 7-10 sacks a year no matter what team or scheme he is in. Tackles would sweat lining up to him with Worilds coming down the pipe second.

I'd prefer him over Mosley since we have a number of candidates who could develop at ILB (Williams, spence, moats). I think he'd be on the field more than Nix. If he's there and Barr/Dennard/Gilbert and Evans were off the board I would look to either trade back or take him. I wouldn't be disappointed if Nix was the pick. We need a dominate rush again & it all starts up front.
The Following User Says Thank You to devin7558 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (04-01-2014)
Old 04-01-2014, 11:04 AM   #4
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 8,969 Times in 3,713 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by devin7558 View Post
His tape is just so damn good!

Relatively short arms could be a problem at the next level, especially if he draws double teams. You need length to keep stronger fastee NFL lineman off your chest. I still think he is to quick for most and his first step and violent hands should help. He is not a direct scheme fit but I think they could adapt his skills to the 3-4 gradually. He'd be a stud in the nickel sets we ran 60% of the time last season. After his rookie season I think he will be capable of racking up 7-10 sacks a year no matter what team or scheme he is in. Tackles would sweat lining up to him with Worilds coming down the pipe second.

I'd prefer him over Mosley since we have a number of candidates who could develop at ILB (Williams, spence, moats). I think he'd be on the field more than Nix. If he's there and Barr/Dennard/Gilbert and Evans were off the board I would look to either trade back or take him. I wouldn't be disappointed if Nix was the pick. We need a dominate rush again & it all starts up front.
You make some very good points, and too be honest I'm not sold that we're going CB or WR in the 1st.
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to harrison'samonster For This Useful Post:
devin7558 (04-01-2014)
Old 04-03-2014, 12:36 AM   #5
Justp94
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 21937

The next Geno Atkins...Nuff said.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justp94 For This Useful Post:
devin7558 (04-03-2014), harrison'samonster (04-03-2014)
Old 04-03-2014, 09:33 AM   #6
devin7558
Bench Warmer

^^^ it think he actually has a little more violence in his game when it cones to using his hands. He's just so well developed at this point. It's hard to pick out any one area where he can really improve. He's probably maxed out his frame so adding muscle would be tough, he's already impressively strong, lethal first step...reads calls and audibles from the line and QB, and disrupts on nearly every play. He was just flat out dominant whether it was Florida State, Notre Dame or Navy he was playing. Consistent as can be.

I think he doesn't have a much higher ceiling for room to improve but he's as solid as they come for a DL. He would be the type to benefit from playing with another super talent on the line. He's always been the focus of other teams game plans.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devin7558 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (04-03-2014), Steelstoned1972 (04-03-2014)
Old 04-03-2014, 12:28 PM   #7
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,997 Times in 4,255 Posts

As you alluded to, he'd be very effective in a couple of different looks, but most notably in our Eagle and sub-packages. He does come with question marks though as he wouldn't be able to contribute as a down-to-down player and may only be used as a rotational player, at least early on for this team.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
devin7558 (04-03-2014), harrison'samonster (04-03-2014), Steelstoned1972 (04-03-2014)
Old 04-03-2014, 08:36 PM   #8
devin7558
Bench Warmer

He can just flat out play.

I think he'd fit in almost any defense. If we drafted him and lebeau expects him to anchor and control 2 gaps at once then he would fail. If they'd tailor that DE end spot to his talents he could be a monster.
The Following User Says Thank You to devin7558 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (04-03-2014)
Old 04-03-2014, 09:24 PM   #9
Steelstoned1972
UNLEASHING HELL SINCE '72
Supporter

Member Number: 16903
Thanked 2,674 Times in 1,556 Posts
My Mood: Psychedelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by devin7558 View Post
He can just flat out play.

I think he'd fit in almost any defense. If we drafted him and lebeau expects him to anchor and control 2 gaps at once then he would fail. If they'd tailor that DE end spot to his talents he could be a monster.
Unleash the beasts !!! Cam , Donald , and McClendon in an attacking 34.....

Adapt and evolve !

( Stir the pot ) :-)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
devin7558 (04-04-2014), harrison'samonster (04-03-2014)