Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-15-2014, 10:05 AM   #21
SteelerJT
Team President

Member Number: 25777
Thanked 3,290 Times in 1,620 Posts
Default Re: 49ers linebacker Aldon Smith arrested at airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
The real question here is, do you trade for him? There have been rumblings/rumors around the NFL that the 49ers might be open to trading Aldon. There is little doubt that he's one of the best OLBs in the NFL when staying out of trouble, it's just the staying out of trouble part that concerns me.

TO SAN FRAN

15th overall selection

TO PITTSBURGH

Aldon Smith

Whatcha guys say?
Hell yes I'm open to it. But I have two questions.

1. Is there anything at all we can do with Worlids? Is he money guaranteed? Is he tradable?

2. Do you need to give up a number one considering he's a bad apple who's probably run out of strikes before a long term suspension?
Old 04-15-2014, 10:07 AM   #22
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,324 Times in 3,994 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerJT View Post
Hell yes I'm open to it. But I have two questions.

1. Is there anything at all we can do with Worlids? Is he money guaranteed? Is he tradable?

2. Do you need to give up a number one considering he's a bad apple who's probably run out of strikes before a long term suspension?
He signed his tender. The money is fully guaranteed.

It would have to be a round one selection. He's arguably the best edge rusher in the NFL right now, and 42 sacks in 3 seasons is going to cost you a kings ransom, even if it is for a player who has off field concerns.

All of that said, if the 49ers are willing to take the 15th overall pick for Aldon Smith, I pull the trigger in a heartbeat. Put Worilds in the rotation, and you have a pass rush.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
SteelerJT (04-15-2014)
Old 04-15-2014, 10:14 AM   #23
SteelerJT
Team President

Member Number: 25777
Thanked 3,290 Times in 1,620 Posts

Quote:
He signed his tender. The money is fully guaranteed.

It would have to be a round one selection. He's arguably the best edge rusher in the NFL right now, and 42 sacks in 3 seasons is going to cost you a kings ransom, even if it is for a player who has off field concerns.

All of that said, if the 49ers are willing to take the 15th overall pick for Aldon Smith, I pull the trigger in a heartbeat. Put Worilds in the rotation, and you have a pass rush.
I was concerned about affording Smith, but we could probably afford all three since Smith only makes $4.5 million against the cap this year.

I was thinking about more of a package of a few picks, but it's probably better to keep them in this draft.

I would too. I just don't know if they would. They being the 49ers or even the Steelers.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:04 AM   #24
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,081 Times in 2,799 Posts

Quote:
The real question here is, do you trade for him? There have been rumblings/rumors around the NFL that the 49ers might be open to trading Aldon. There is little doubt that he's one of the best OLBs in the NFL when staying out of trouble, it's just the staying out of trouble part that concerns me.

TO SAN FRAN

15th overall selection

TO PITTSBURGH

Aldon Smith

Whatcha guys say?
You would be trading a #1 pick to get a player for 2 years (assuming the 49ers decide by the May 9 deadline to pick up his option for 2015) who probably is looking at a suspension for his adventures

Because he was a first-round pick in 2011, the 49ers must decide by May 3 whether or not to give Smith an option for 2015. It was previously considered a no-brainer for the 49ers to lock in Smith, one of the premier pass-rushers in the NFL, for another season. If not, he will be a free agent at the end of this season. However, his latest arrest -- he has two other pending criminal cases -- will likely make the 49ers think about the option. The 49ers have other contracts looming (including Kaepernick's). If they feel they can’t trust Smith, they may not exercise the option, which would pay him more than $9 million in 2015.

http://espn.go.com/blog/san-francisc...r-many-reasons

And saying he had a bomb is not a positive development for working out a plea deal on his pending weapons and DWI charges

Legal observers said Smith's sentence on the DUI and gun charges could wind up being harsher, with some jail time a greater possibility, in part because of what the sentencing report prepared by probation officials is likely to say. The probation report is likely to characterize him as more incorrigible -- and therefore deserving of a tougher sentence -- for failing to clean up his act in Los Angeles after getting in trouble here.

http://www.mercurynews.com/crime-cou...orsen-l-arrest

No way the 49ers get a #1 pick for 2 years of Smith from any team with that baggage
NSMaster56 (04-15-2014), SteelersCanada (04-15-2014)
Old 04-15-2014, 07:26 PM   #25
ebsteelers
Living Legend

SpeedPong Champion! X-Training Champion!
Member Number: 18215
Thanked 2,162 Times in 1,261 Posts

Quote:

TO SAN FRAN

15th overall selection

TO PITTSBURGH

Aldon Smith

Whatcha guys say?

I'd trade for Aldon Smith if we were only giving up a 4th or 5th round pick.

The Eagles got nothing for Jackson, Smith has been arrested twice..
The Following User Says Thank You to ebsteelers For This Useful Post:
NSMaster56 (04-16-2014)
Old 04-15-2014, 07:28 PM   #26
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebsteelers View Post
I'd trade for Aldon Smith if we were only giving up a 4th or 5th round pick.

The Eagles got nothing for Jackson, Smith has been arrested twice..
San Fran wouldn't give up Smith -- who has 42 sacks in 3 NFL seasons -- for a fourth round pick. Second rounder at the absolute minimum, but that would likely have to come with another late round pick. 2nd and 7th and I deal for him right now.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:40 PM   #27
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,056 Times in 557 Posts

Aldon will be out of the league in a few years. The guy is half way retarded. This isnt a Pacman Jones situation where he just doesnt give a damn. Aldon's brain is jock brain. No thinking, just doing and acting like a child.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:43 PM   #28
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,081 Times in 2,799 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1947 View Post
Aldon will be out of the league in a few years. The guy is half way retarded. This isnt a Pacman Jones situation where he just doesnt give a damn. Aldon's brain is jock brain. No thinking, just doing and acting like a child.
Apparently Smith's Wonderlic score was average (18)

Bradshaw, Marino and Jim Kelly got 15 so that score is high enough to learn the plays

http://www.nflstatanalysis.net/2011/...ic-scores.html

But his motivational scores raised red flags

Smith scored an 18 on the Wonderlic intelligence exam given to draft prospects. The NFL average is 20, with 19 the score for outside linebackers. His "mental quickness" score on a 10-point scale was a 4, which placed him in the average range of NFL players.

Smith scored poorly in HRT's eight-category SIGMA motivation testing that is used to identify sources of maladjustment and personal strengths. On a 10-point grading system, Smith scored a 1 for interpersonal style, receptivity to coaching and dedication. He scored a 2 for focus, affective commitment and interpersonal style.

His best scores were in the categories of self-efficacy (5) and combative attitude (4).

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/4...-threat-041414

I suppose telling TSA screeners you have a bomb confirms his low test score for interpersonal style while collecting assault weapons confirms Smith's combative attitude.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:49 AM   #29
ebsteelers
Living Legend

SpeedPong Champion! X-Training Champion!
Member Number: 18215
Thanked 2,162 Times in 1,261 Posts

Quote:
San Fran wouldn't give up Smith -- who has 42 sacks in 3 NFL seasons -- for a fourth round pick. Second rounder at the absolute minimum, but that would likely have to come with another late round pick. 2nd and 7th and I deal for him right now.
not sure about that. 2 arrests. hes already missed game because of off the field issues.

pretty much 2 strikes before he gets a longer suspension of sorts.
The Following User Says Thank You to ebsteelers For This Useful Post:
SteelersCanada (04-16-2014)
Old 04-16-2014, 03:20 PM   #30
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Aldon Smith's legal troubles present opening for draft day trade with Pittsburgh

By Neal Coolong

The San Francisco 49ers are one of the NFL's most successful teams over the last three seasons. With three NFC championship game appearances and a trip to the Super Bowl, their roster is balanced, their coach has the locker room and there's no reason to not consider them a front-runner to get back into the title game for a fourth straight year.

It just may be without stud edge rusher Aldon Smith, who's most recent legal set-to involves him allegedly making a bomb threat on an airplane.

It boggles the mind of why a sober, well-adjusted person would want to do something to that effect, and, according to San Jose Mercury-News reporter Tim Kawakami, the front office of the 49ers is collectively wondering the same thing.

Writes Kawakami:

Quote:
My view, after talking to several sources involved with the 49ers’ decision-making, is that troubled linebacker Aldon Smith hasn’t only lost the benefit of the doubt, he probably won’t play for the 49ers in 2014.
Smith has been in trouble often in his three years in the NFL, stemming from multiple DUI arrests to a four-game suspension last year, it seems very reasonable he receives a significant suspension from the league or even the 49ers for the 2014 season.
Along with that comes the team's plans to move on from him. Whether Smith is guilty of what he's being accused of, clearly, there's a pattern in his behavior. A franchise that's currently among the best defensive units in the game can't afford to not hedge their bet against either a suspension, or even their decision to not retain him when his rookie contract expires after the 2014 season. Being a 2011 first round pick, the 49ers have an option for a fifth season with Smith. If he's suspended, that would mean retaining him would require them to give him a substantial raise for the 2015 season.

Understatement of the year: That seems a tad risky.

Kawakami wrote the team is "very unlikely" to pick up that option anyway. That's a powerful statement, considering Smith is one of the best players from that draft class, and a critical member of San Francisco's defense.

With the draft stock (whatever that is worth) of physically talented edge rusher Anthony Barr falling in recent weeks, he's a player who might be available at or around the 15th pick. San Francisco, drafting at 29, may now be compelled to think about moving ahead to take a guy they could groom to replace Smith in the future.

While Barr likely (read: definitely) won't be able to fill Smith's shoes this season, it may be too late for the 49ers to expect to find comparable production in the event Smith is suspended. They have the same decision to make as most other teams on May 3 - whether to pick up the option year on their 2011 first round pick (some have already declared their intention to do so).

This may force the 49ers to make immediate decisions based on projections of where they will be at the rush OLB position in two years.

San Francisco dealt the 31st and 74th picks in the 2013 NFL Draft to the Cowboys for the 18th pick, one that netted LSU safety Eric Reid for the 49ers. San Francisco has the 13th pick in the third round (77th overall) from a trade with Tennessee, and also has two second-round picks. While it may be wiser to a certain degree for them to simply look to replace Smith with one of their five top-100 picks, using two of them for the athletic Barr makes sense. This is a team that got 16 sacks out of Smith his rookie year while playing him in less than half of the team's defensive snaps.

The Steelers haven't traded back in the first round of the draft since 2001, when they moved from 16 to 19 with the Jets. New York selected Santana Moss, and the Steelers took Casey Hampton.

Advantage: Steelers. Maybe 2014 can be something of a similar nature, considering how heavy this draft is on wide receivers and cornerbacks, the two biggest positions of need for Pittsburgh. It would give the team four picks in the top 100 (15, 46, 77 and 97) from which they can use to help bolster depth that has been depleted over the last few seasons.

It's a tough decision for the 49ers, but it wouldn't be surprising, should Barr fall as many are anticipating, the two teams start talking.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...raft-day-trade
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
SteelerJT (04-16-2014), Steelstoned1972 (04-16-2014)