Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2014 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 04-17-2014, 05:52 PM   #11
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 10,954 Times in 4,548 Posts
Default Re: Junst a hunch about the draft

Look, he has off field issues. It's not like our organization is holier-than-thou when it comes to guys who produce on this team getting a free pass for their off field antics. We're all very aware of Roethlisberger, and Harrison was accused multiple times of domestic violence. Hines Ward was driving impaired, and the video was made public thanks to TMZ.

Passing on a prospect because he's a young guy doing stupid things is silly. He needs help, and our organization can provide it. We simply can't overlook his production because he has a drinking problem. If anything, the stability of the Rooney family down would only give him the support he needs for his issues.

If we pass on Aldon Smith, where do we draw the line? We are perfectly fine with having Roethlisberger on our team but pass on Smith because he's done stupid things off the field?
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
SteelerJT (04-17-2014)
Old 04-17-2014, 07:30 PM   #12
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
Thanked 1,034 Times in 493 Posts
My Mood: Drunk

Dream scenario: trade down, pick up an extra 2nd and 3rd, draft Kyle Fuller, Allen Robinson, Stephen Tuitt, Shayne Skov. I would climax.
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:37 PM   #13
Gnutella
Head Coach

Member Number: 13861
Thanked 2,136 Times in 772 Posts
My Mood: Bitchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
We are perfectly fine with having Roethlisberger on our team but pass on Smith because he's done stupid things off the field?
Because there's a distinct chance that both accusations against Roethlisberger were bogus, and he's actually grown up and become a model citizen and a better person since. And at this point I just don't think the Rooneys want the drama that'd come with Aldon Smith, even if it's simply the media waiting in the bushes for him to look at one of his coaches cross-eyed.
Gnutella is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:43 PM   #14
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Because there's a distinct chance that both accusations against Roethlisberger were bogus, and he's actually grown up and become a model citizen and a better person since. And at this point I just don't think the Rooneys want the drama that'd come with Aldon Smith, even if it's simply the media waiting in the bushes for him to look at one of his coaches cross-eyed.
And, from all accounts, Aldon Smith was a great guy before, during and after both NFC title games to the media and the fans. He's a young guy. In fact, he's only three years older than me. Speaking from experience, young guys are prone to making mistakes.

There's no reason why Aldon can't grow from this experience. One has to wonder if the instability in San Fran only fuelled this fire. I can't rationalize sacrificing a talent such as him because he's young and has done really, really dumb things. 42 sacks in 48 games, with a shortened season, is worth the gamble to me.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:46 PM   #15
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

No, actually, I need to fact check myself. 42 sacks in 43 games, as he only played in 11 games this season.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:10 AM   #16
CanSteel7
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 25607

Quote:
Why would I want the most prolific sack artist in the NFL over the last three seasons? Does that answer your question?
Are you serious?! Given his off the field activity, what makes you think that the Rooneys would even want to touch this guy. Why would you want this head case on your team? What part of his off the field activity looks enticing to you? How long of an NFL career do you think this guy is going to have with the issues he's shown?
CanSteel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 11:15 AM   #17
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanSteel7 View Post
Are you serious?! Given his off the field activity, what makes you think that the Rooneys would even want to touch this guy. Why would you want this head case on your team? What part of his off the field activity looks enticing to you? How long of an NFL career do you think this guy is going to have with the issues he's shown?
Roethlisberger? Harrison? Ward? Bettis? Are they all "head cases" too?

42 sacks in 43 games played is why I want him. Alcoholism is a disease, and it can be treated. Not wanting him because of his "off field issues" while defending Ward, Bettis, Harrison, Roethlisberger, etc. is beyond silly. Young guys mature and grow up, especially if they're in an organization like ours. Ben is a shining example of this.

Stop with the holier-than-thou bullshit. I want a kid who can play. Smith can play, and his off field antics are a result of his immaturity. Maturity comes with age, and his skill set cannot be denied.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
PhantomJB93 (04-18-2014), SteelerJT (04-18-2014)
Old 04-18-2014, 12:17 PM   #18
CanSteel7
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 25607

Quote:

42 sacks in 43 games played is why I want him. Alcoholism is a disease, and it can be treated. Not wanting him because of his "off field issues" while defending Ward, Bettis, Harrison, Roethlisberger, etc. is beyond silly. Young guys mature and grow up, especially if they're in an organization like ours. Ben is a shining example of this.

Stop with the holier-than-thou bullshit. I want a kid who can play. Smith can play, and his off field antics are a result of his immaturity. Maturity comes with age, and his skill set cannot be denied.
"I have a bomb in my bag". And it's precisely why there have been issues in the past with other guys on our team that you won't see Aldon Smith with the Steelers. It also seems to me that he's heading down the same slide as Titus Young with the Lions. His head is not right!
CanSteel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 12:48 PM   #19
LondonON519
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 25877

Just not the way we do things. Ta' Amu is going to be a stud and we dropped him, Santonio was Superbowl MVP and we kicked his ass out too. I don't want this kid representing our team no matter how good he is. And he's really F Ing good
Buddha Bus (04-19-2014), teegre (04-18-2014)
Old 04-18-2014, 03:17 PM   #20
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 22,611 Times in 9,259 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:

Ward & Bettis???

Saying that you have a bomb in an airport is not immature; it's flat-out dumb.

Sorry, SC. This guy is a suspension (or felony) waiting to happen.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (04-19-2014)