Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-18-2014, 09:20 AM   #21
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,822 Times in 2,690 Posts
Default Re: State of American Beer - Sales Volumes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha Bus View Post

I think Sam Adams Brewing falls somewhere between a large domestic brewer and a craft brewery catering to both sides of the beer lover community.
No surprise that there are tax implications to Boston Brewing seeking to be defined as a craft brewer

At the heart of the company’s Washington strategy is an attempt to persuade Congress to expand the size of “small brewers’’ who can qualify for a discounted excise tax on beer sales, seeking to raise the current limit from brewers who produce 2 million barrels a year to those who produce 6 million barrels.

Under current law, brewers producing more than 2 million barrels pay the full $18 tax on every barrel they make. Because Boston Beer sells in the vicinity of 2.7 million barrels a year, it finds itself in the large-brewer category.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/news/nati...F7H/story.html
Buddha Bus (04-18-2014), NSMaster56 (04-18-2014)
Old 04-18-2014, 09:26 AM   #22
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
No surprise that there are tax implications to Boston Brewing seeking to be defined as a craft brewer

At the heart of the company’s Washington strategy is an attempt to persuade Congress to expand the size of “small brewers’’ who can qualify for a discounted excise tax on beer sales, seeking to raise the current limit from brewers who produce 2 million barrels a year to those who produce 6 million barrels.

Under current law, brewers producing more than 2 million barrels pay the full $18 tax on every barrel they make. Because Boston Beer sells in the vicinity of 2.7 million barrels a year, it finds itself in the large-brewer category.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/news/nati...F7H/story.html
"Craft brewer" and "small brewer" aren't exactly the same thing though. This just seems like big business attempting to find a loophole to pay less taxes. This is probably why Budweiser has started delving into diversifying it's product towards more craft brew-like beers recently. They will probably then attempt to use the same tactics if a brewer like Sam Adams is successful in this area. It would open up a whole new can of worms for domestic brewers to avoid their fair share of taxes.

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buddha Bus For This Useful Post:
Atlanta Dan (04-18-2014), NSMaster56 (04-18-2014)
Old 04-18-2014, 11:22 AM   #23
steelax04
Assistant Coach
Supporter

HolmenKollen Ski Jump Champion!
Member Number: 12182
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
But there certainly are alternatives - the number of craft beers available in grocery stores is stunning. Sweetwater is an Atlanta brewery that is starting to show up elsewhere in the South. I have developed a taste for their 420 and IPA brews.
Yeah, it seems like grocery stores are stepping up their game with the popularity of craft brews. We just had a huge Kroger Marketplace open up (think upscale super Walmart) and they have a monster beer selection. It's basically two full length supermarket aisles. They even have a local brew section of just VA beers. I just need to get the time to do some real browsing and see what's out there.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:43 AM   #24
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,215 Times in 2,675 Posts

i wonder if sam adams is putting petes wicked out of business. i havent seen petes in quite a while. i used to really like their strawberry blonde, and their summer ale was some of the best, especially after out golfing or doing yardwork in the sun. crisp, lemony, w/ plenty of carbonation.

if you get the chance look for growlers of bruce dickensons new "Trooper" british lager. the bottle is awesome with eddie on the trooper album carrying the british flag as the label. the beer is good too.

i had to pick up a 6 pack of lagunitas IPA yesterday. forgot to mention everyone of their IPA's ive seen have been 6-9% alcohol (i think their MAXIMUS IPA is 8.2%- just about equivalent of 2 domestic beers).
Old 04-18-2014, 12:04 PM   #25
JonM229
Team Owner

Member Number: 24803
Thanked 5,866 Times in 2,141 Posts
My Mood: Bitchy

Midwesterners love their drinking. There's a few liquor stores within 30 minutes that have pretty amazing selections.

Craft beer seems to be something that more and more people are willing to spend more money for a higher quality product. And unlike buying from the Big Three, the money stays in the US.

"I don't know about you Joe, but I would say that qualifies as elite." -Barack Obama
JonM229 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JonM229 For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (04-18-2014), NSMaster56 (04-18-2014)
Old 04-18-2014, 12:28 PM   #26
NSMaster56
Team Owner

Member Number: 23979
Thanked 3,282 Times in 1,519 Posts

@Buddha Bus, Chocolate beers are amazing. I didn't discover them until roughly last year (Fish Tail) and immediately fell in love. Oatmeals are solid, too, but when a Chocolate is done right... *whistle*

@JonM229, @steelax04, craft brewing may be up as a residue of increased social media, as well. Think of other forms of 'entertainment', be it movies, TV, radio, etc. For years it was the 'big three' basic cable/radio networks or nothing. Now that technology has become widespread cable and the internet is taking a large chunk of their audiences.

The same thing may be happening with food/drinks. Coke/Pepsi/Bud/Coors/Miller was the staple across America, but now that technology exists to mass market micros and/or distribute them sales should increase. Word of mouth travels faster to help that.

I for one welcome our new micro overlords.
NSMaster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NSMaster56 For This Useful Post:
Atlanta Dan (04-18-2014), Buddha Bus (04-18-2014), JonM229 (04-18-2014)
Old 04-18-2014, 12:40 PM   #27
Born2Steel
Starter

Member Number: 25772
My Mood: Psychedelic

I do small batch home brewing, good not great. I buy from an assortment of import and craft beers for holidays and stuff. But mostly I just drink "crappy American beer". I don't get it when people say they can't taste the beer. I always taste the beer. I do have preferences, but definitely not a beer snob. In fact, here's cracking open a Miller Lite now. Cheers!
Old 04-18-2014, 12:59 PM   #28
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,822 Times in 2,690 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
forgot to mention everyone of their IPA's ive seen have been 6-9% alcohol (i think their MAXIMUS IPA is 8.2%- just about equivalent of 2 domestic beers).
High ABV seems to be the new brewing arms race. Sweetwater comes out with seasonal brews that pack a punch

Happy Ending is an Imperial Stout with 9% ABV and Festive Ale is 8.5% ABV. In addition to six packs both come in 22 oz bottles.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:01 PM   #29
JonM229
Team Owner

Member Number: 24803
Thanked 5,866 Times in 2,141 Posts
My Mood: Bitchy

Quote:
High ABV seems to be the new brewing arms race. Sweetwater comes out with seasonal brews that pack a punch

Happy Ending is an Imperial Stout with 9% ABV and Festive Ale is 8.5% ABV. In addition to six packs both come in 22 oz bottles.
One of my favorites, Bell's Expedition Stout (a Russian Imperial) is 10.5% I've also had Samiclaus Doppelbock which topped out at 14.5%

"I don't know about you Joe, but I would say that qualifies as elite." -Barack Obama
JonM229 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 02:33 PM   #30
steelax04
Assistant Coach
Supporter

HolmenKollen Ski Jump Champion!
Member Number: 12182
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
I don't get it when people say they can't taste the beer. I always taste the beer.
I don't get that either. Even when I'm doing something where I could just down a Miller Lite (like mowing the lawn, working outside, etc), I'd much rather go for a summer ale, summer shandy, etc. If Miller Lite is all that's around, well... we all have to make sacrifices sometimes, but I always prefer flavor, no matter the situation.