Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2014 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 04-20-2014, 01:12 PM   #11
MontaniSemperLiberi
Banned

Member Number: 24812
Default Re: Most Glaring Need: OLB Depth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontaniSemperLiberi View Post
So here's my ideal situation for the Steelers in the upcoming 2014 draft.

1) Louis Nix - NT, Notre Dame

2) Kahlil Mack - OLB, Buffalo (never happening now thanks to TV exposure)
-or-
Jeremiah Attaochu - DE (3-4 OLB), Georgia Tech / Dee Ford - DE (3-4 OLB), Auburn

3) Cyrus Kouandjio - OT, Alabama (will probably be long gone) / Morgan Moses - OT, Virginia / JuWuan James - OT, Tennessee

4) E.J. Gaines - CB, Missouri / Victor Hampton - CB, South Carolina
-or-
Charles Sims - RB, West Virginia

5) Lache Seastrunk - RB, Baylor / Andre Williams - RB, Boston College
-or-
Brandon Coleman - WR, Rutgers / Devin Street - WR, Pitt / Cody Latimer - WR, Indiana

6) Morgan Breslin - DE (3-4 OLB), Southern California / Cassius Marsh - DE (3-4 OLB), California Los Angeles / Michael Sam - DE (3-4 OLB), Missouri

7) Dri Archer - WR/RB (like Tavon Austin but has untested receiving capability), Kent State

Other Players I really like that fit the Steelers mold at each position:

Zach Mettenberger - QB, Louisiana State
Jerick McKinnon - RB, Georgia Southern
Kelvin Benjamin - WR, Florida State
Joe Don Duncan - TE, Dixie State

OT - All those elite guys we don't have much of a shot at (unless teams reach for quarterbacks in round one): Robinson, Matthews, Lewan
OG - Gabe Jackson/Cyril Richardson... we can't afford to draft guards/don't need them

C - (somebody to provide depth... not much film to evaluate on interior offensive lineman)

DE - Ed Stinson/Stephon Tuitt (blah blah blah)... we will move McClendon to end opposite Heyward (Arnfeldt looks like a contender btw).

Scott Crichton (move to runstopping OLB position) / Aaron Donald (could he possibly cut weight and move to OLB? I love what I see from Donald, but he's not really a good fit on the DL)

Caraun Reid - DT, Princeton
Christian Jones - OLB, Florida State
Andrew Jackson - ILB, Western Kentucky (I think he goes undrafted and whoever picks him up will be surprised, but it will not be the Steelers)
Lamarcus Joyner - SS, Florida State (Shamarko Thomas with more upside)
Deone Bucannon - FS, Washington State (imagine Ryan Clarke was brainwashed to make interceptions sometimes instead of always laying the big hit)
CB - PIERRE DESIR is the man!
I believe this is the post you are referring to... my Ideal Situational Picks were listed in bold. There are other ancillary players I like for the Steelers listed at the Bottom, but I never said whether they would be available because in most cases I think they will be selected ahead of the where Steelers pick in the corresponding round where most of them are graded - I listed them at the bottom because even though I think they fit what the Steelers do I think it's unrealistic that they slide down, but if they do I think the Steelers would jump at the opportunity.

(Also, no it's becoming very likely two of the three tackles I listed in round three will be off the board when the Steelers pick... then I think we start to look at WR early).
MontaniSemperLiberi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 02:05 PM   #12
MontaniSemperLiberi
Banned

Old 04-20-2014, 02:13 PM   #13
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 11,716 Times in 4,783 Posts

OLB depth isn't the biggest need on this team.

CB
DE
OLB

In that order.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
SteelerJT (04-20-2014)
Old 04-20-2014, 04:30 PM   #14
MontaniSemperLiberi
Banned

So what's your ideal draft scenario if the top 3 are CB, DE, and OLB in that order?
image.jpg
Old 04-20-2014, 06:55 PM   #15
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
So what's your ideal draft scenario if the top 3 are CB, DE, and OLB in that order?
Attachment 1686
Dennard
Tuitt
Smith
Colvin
Barrett

CB, DE, LB, CB, OLB.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
MontaniSemperLiberi (04-20-2014), SteelerJT (04-20-2014), Steelstoned1972 (04-20-2014)
Old 04-20-2014, 10:42 PM   #16
MontaniSemperLiberi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
Dennard
Tuitt
Smith
Colvin
Barrett

CB, DE, LB, CB, OLB.
I think Dennard has the potential to be good if the officials let him play physical (like Sherman, Browner, etc), but my worry with him is that he may be slower than Ike Taylor in deep coverage.

Is that Marcus Smith, Chris Smith, or Telvin Smith with the 3rd Rd Compensatory?

Shaquil Barrett... now that's balsy! I've never even heard of him, but he looks to be more of a run stopper than pass rusher because he has a slow start off the snap - nevertheless he seems to get the job done despite how awkward he may look doing it (kind of like watching Andre Williams run).

Also what about the compensatory fifth, sixth, compensatory sixth and seventh round picks... offense?
The Following User Says Thank You to MontaniSemperLiberi For This Useful Post:
SteelersCanada (04-20-2014)
Old 04-20-2014, 10:51 PM   #17
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
I think Dennard has the potential to be good if the officials let him play physical (like Sherman, Browner, etc), but my worry with him is that he may be slower than Ike Taylor in deep coverage.

Is that Marcus Smith, Chris Smith, or Telvin Smith with the 3rd Rd Compensatory?

Shaquil Barrett... now that's balsy! I've never even heard of him, but he looks to be more of a run stopper than pass rusher because he has a slow start off the snap - nevertheless he seems to get the job done despite how awkward he may look doing it (kind of like watching Andre Williams run).

Also what about the compensatory fifth, sixth, compensatory sixth and seventh round picks... offense?
Telvin Smith. I love his game. He covers like a Safety but is physical for a Linebacker. In our nickle/dime, I think he can take on a similar role as Kam Chancellor.

Barrett has all the tools. He was coached under Porter at CSU, and has the potential to be a quality depth player for us. While I disagree in that he looks like a run stopper, he needs to work on his technique and bend. If he's able to, he could be in the rotation for us.

As for the other compensatory selections, I'm not sure. I'm not done watching film / reading up on prospects to make an education opinion. In my last mock, I had a couple DE's and NT's going late, but I don't know if we go that route. Give me a week, I'll give you something more educated and accurate.
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
MontaniSemperLiberi (04-20-2014)
Old 04-20-2014, 10:56 PM   #18
SteelerJT
Living Legend

Member Number: 25777
Thanked 5,824 Times in 2,612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
Barrett has all the tools. He was coached under Porter at CSU, and has the potential to be a quality depth player for us. While I disagree in that he looks like a run stopper, he needs to work on his technique and bend. If he's able to, he could be in the rotation for us.
I really don't know how you can be a member here and not know Barrett

SteelersCanada (04-20-2014)
Old 04-20-2014, 11:24 PM   #19
MontaniSemperLiberi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerJT View Post
I really don't know how you can be a member here and not know Barrett

Yeah I don't know Barrett but I do recall this Kordell Stewart guy you may have heard of...

I've been forced to watch WVU suffer in the Big XII and almost never watch Mountain West Conference games... I usually stick with the SEC, ACC, and a few Big Ten games on tv. The one person I am real familiar with is Aaron Colvin because he often lined up across from Stedman Bailey when we played... too bad about his ACL (I tore mine and went with a hamstring autograft the first time - have never been quite the same, but my second surgery with a cadaver ligament is doing way better). I noticed you also have E.J. Gaines in your mock draft... I didn't know much about him before the combine, but he looked very agile in his drills and I hope he gets to keep wearing black and gold!
Old 04-30-2014, 08:48 PM   #20
MontaniSemperLiberi
Banned

"#46 – Pittsburgh Steelers – Jeremiah Attaochu – OLB – Georgia Tech

Jarvis Jones will get first crack but the Pittsburgh Steelers are driven by the success of their linebackers. Jeremiah Attaochu will remind them a lot of Joey Porter and James Harrison. He’s not only a gifted pass rusher but he’s fiery and isn’t afraid to talk."

http://nflmocks.com/2014/04/26/2014-...d-revelations/

Guess I'm NOT the only one: "I think you're right about none of those guys being available at pick #97. Pass rushers generally go early. I would be perfectly fine with any of those 3 guys at pick #46, and would personally not be disappointed with Attaochu at #15. I feel strongly that he's going to be a really good pro - likely even more productive than he was in college. He just turned 21 in January, and he's already Georgia Tech's all time sack leader. He's known to be a good guy and hard worker, and you can see it in his game tape. He never stops until the whistle blows.

I'll make a prediction here that contradicts the online "experts." Attaochu will be selected in the 1st round. I think NFL teams are going to see what I see, even if the draftniks don't."

http://thesteelersfans.com/forums/sh...-OLB-prospects