Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2014 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-19-2014, 07:31 PM   #1
MontaniSemperLiberi
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 24812
Default Most Glaring Need: OLB Depth

Situation:

I believe we will take the best player available in the first round (crossing fingers for OT/NT) but the most important decision, in my opinion, will be made in the second round. I hope we address OLB because it seems to be the most glaring need in the immediate future. Both Jarvis Jones and Jason Worilds are pretty much unproven, but will have a chance to solidy their positions this year (however Worilds may take his talents elsewhere after this season and I think Jones has questionable work ethic when it comes to strength and conditioning).

The Prospects:

Assuming Kahlil Mack and Anthony Barr are gone before we pick - the players I hope we target are Jeremiah Attaochu, Dee Ford, and Demarcus Lawrence. Attaochu is my surprise favorite because he is a high character guy, with great athleticism, and has been a team captain and defensive leader. I actually like Attaochu in the 2nd better than Kahlil Mack or Anthony Barr in the 1st... I even like him more than Jarvis Jones and wouldn't mind if we picked him in the first round this year (if it looks like we could get Nix in the second). Attaochu would to give Jones viable competition (and light a fire under his arse in the weight room) so hopefully both would develop into Pro Bowlers.

Other Outside Linebackers who I think have Pro Bowl potential and will be available on day three are poor man's J.J. Watt: Cassius Marsh and Clay Matthews' mini-me: Morgan Breslin.

Remaining Picks:

In rounds 3 4 and 5 I hope we target (WR, CB, RB, OLB/DE) and WR/CB again in 6/7.

WRs: Brandon Coleman, Cody Latimer, Devin Street, Dri Archer, Jeff Janis, John Brown
CBs: Pierre Desir, Keith McGill, E.J. Gaines, Victor Hampton, Ross Cockrell, Walt Aikens, Aaron Colvin
RBs: Lache Seastrunk, Bishop Sankey, Ka'Deem Carey, Charles Sims, Andre Willams
OLB/DE: Marsh/Breslin, Adrian Hubbard, Jackson Jeffcoat, Michael Sam
MontaniSemperLiberi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MontaniSemperLiberi For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (04-19-2014), Steelstoned1972 (04-19-2014)
Old 04-19-2014, 09:01 PM   #2
SteelerJT
Team President

Member Number: 25777
Thanked 3,445 Times in 1,700 Posts
Default Re: Most Glaring Need: OLB Depth

It's not even the most pressing need on defense. At least there's two starting OLBs on the roster. We have one DE.
Hawaii 5-0 (04-21-2014)
Old 04-19-2014, 09:55 PM   #3
MontaniSemperLiberi
Bench Warmer

DE Cam Heyward & Brian Arnfeldt
NT Cam Thomas & Hebron Fangupo
DT Steve McClendon & Nick Williams

So there's the two deep across the D-Line (Arnfeldt is gonna turn some heads, McClendon can definitely hold his own, and hopefully we get Nix in Rd 1)

How is OLB not a need in Rd 2 when there's nobody proven to be a season long starter, this could be Worilds last year, and Jones is coming off of his rookie season? Whom are you confident we can rely on if one of the unproven starters is benched/gets injured/or departs after the season?

Last edited by MontaniSemperLiberi; 04-19-2014 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Retort
Old 04-19-2014, 10:12 PM   #4
MontaniSemperLiberi
Bench Warmer

and further in your sig you have us taking CJ Mosely in the FIRST ROUND? We have Vince Williams, Lawrence Timmons, Arthur Moats, Sean Spence, Kion Wilson, and Terrence Garvin who all provide depth at the ILB position. Even if we were going to pick an ILB in this years draft there's great quality in the middle rounds (ie Christian Jones Fl State)... no way we waste a 1st round pick on Moseley.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:49 PM   #5
SteelerJT
Team President

Member Number: 25777
Thanked 3,445 Times in 1,700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontaniSemperLiberi View Post
DE Cam Heyward & Brian Arnfeldt
NT Cam Thomas & Hebron Fangupo
DT Steve McClendon & Nick Williams

So there's the two deep across the D-Line (Arnfeldt is gonna turn some heads, McClendon can definitely hold his own, and hopefully we get Nix in Rd 1)

How is OLB not a need in Rd 2 when there's nobody proven to be a season long starter, this could be Worilds last year, and Jones is coming off of his rookie season? Whom are you confident we can rely on if one of the unproven starters is benched/gets injured/or departs after the season?

and further in your sig you have us taking CJ Mosely in the FIRST ROUND? We have Vince Williams, Lawrence Timmons, Arthur Moats, Sean Spence, Kion Wilson, and Terrence Garvin who all provide depth at the ILB position. Even if we were going to pick an ILB in this years draft there's great quality in the middle rounds (ie Christian Jones Fl State)... no way we waste a 1st round pick on Moseley.
Woah there, skippy.

First, it looks like you missed this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert confirms Cam Thomas was signed to play defensive end

By Neal Coolong on Mar 23 2014

Thomas received a contract roughly on the same level as what Tennessee gave Al Woods. The Steelers made Woods an offer presumably to start at defensive end.

Perhaps the scenery isn't the only thing changing for newly signed Steelers defensive lineman Cam Thomas.

Steelers general manager told Post-Gazette reporter Gerry Dulac the team signed him to play defensive end.

If it doesn't mean he won't get looks at nose tackle as well, it basically means the team sees him as the 2014 version of Al Woods - a versatile swing lineman who could potentially hold down a starting defensive end role while being prepared to back up assumed starting nose tackle Steve McLendon.

Depth along the defensive line is still an issue for the Steelers, having only replaced one of two defensive ends, and lacking another reserve nose tackle.

Some would say they Thomas is the purest nose tackle on the roster. He caught something of a reputation for a lack of effort while in San Diego, losing the starting job in 2013 he earned in training camp.

The Steelers don't currently have any experienced depth behind Cam Heyward, the only certain starting defensive end currently on the roster. The Steelers sniffed around free agent Alex Carrington, but talks broke off and have not reportedly resumed since he left Pittsburgh two weeks ago. He is still unsigned.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...-defensive-end
So you can refrain from penciling in Cam Thomas at Nose Tackle. And even then, despite his measurables Thomas lost his job at NT last year and has never started at end. Neither has Arnfelt or the true project Nick Williams. So no, they have no strong prospects to start opposite Heyward. That;s a fact.

I never said anything about not taking an OLB in round 2. For example, I wouldn't be against Marcus Smith in round 2. I never said it's not a need, but it's not the biggest.

Williams (two down player, liability in coverage)
Moats (career ST beast. Also, they've said he's going to be lined up at OLB here)
Spence (as of this writing worthless)
Wilson and Garvin (good ST, poor starters)

They have a lot of "guys" to go next to Timmons, but none of them are high enough quality players that they can't be replaced. You don't think the play of 6th round pick Williams attributed to the poor run defense last year? Mosley's instincts would be an instant upgrade, and he could hold his own in coverage on 3rd down.

You don't draft in round 1 based on need anyway. You take the best player available, and that could end up being Mosley. I could even been swayed to Hageman. However, there is not a chance in hell they pick Attoaochu. That's atrocious, that's reaching, and that is wasting a pick.

For what it's worth, I'd take Barr over Mosley. I just don't think he'll be there.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:39 PM   #6
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
My Mood: Drunk

High character guy? lol

Then again, maybe we need a complete scumbag in our defense...because something's missing.
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 12:22 AM   #7
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 18,788 Times in 7,928 Posts
My Mood: Dead

@SteelerJT

This guy is just shotgunning. He's listing as many players, at as many positions as possible; then, he'll come back & post an "I told you so" thread.

He did it earlier this off-season. He called out @Bayz101 for a post from last year... yet, last year, he listed ten other "possible" picks in that same round.

It'd be like me saying that the Steelers will draft Mosley, Dennard, Gilbert, Nix, Hageman, Barr, Ebron, Pryor, Fuller, or Beckham in R1... and then, saying that I had called the pick.
teegre is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
SteelerJT (04-20-2014)
Old 04-20-2014, 06:32 AM   #8
MontaniSemperLiberi
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerJT View Post
Woah there, skippy.

First, it looks like you missed this:

So you can refrain from penciling in Cam Thomas at Nose Tackle. And even then, despite his measurables Thomas lost his job at NT last year and has never started at end. Neither has Arnfelt or the true project Nick Williams. So no, they have no strong prospects to start opposite Heyward. That;s a fact.

I never said anything about not taking an OLB in round 2. For example, I wouldn't be against Marcus Smith in round 2. I never said it's not a need, but it's not the biggest.

Williams (two down player, liability in coverage)
Moats (career ST beast. Also, they've said he's going to be lined up at OLB here)
Spence (as of this writing worthless)
Wilson and Garvin (good ST, poor starters)

They have a lot of "guys" to go next to Timmons, but none of them are high enough quality players that they can't be replaced. You don't think the play of 6th round pick Williams attributed to the poor run defense last year? Mosley's instincts would be an instant upgrade, and he could hold his own in coverage on 3rd down.

You don't draft in round 1 based on need anyway. You take the best player available, and that could end up being Mosley. I could even been swayed to Hageman. However, there is not a chance in hell they pick Attoaochu. That's atrocious, that's reaching, and that is wasting a pick.

For what it's worth, I'd take Barr over Mosley. I just don't think he'll be there.
You're missing the point, but talking all around it: Whether it's Thomas or McClendon at NT... 1) they will both start concurrently with Heyward next year 2) we have designated backups behind them and 3) we will most likely draft a rookie DT this year and teach him how to play NT. I hope that's Nix in Rd 1 (assuming the elite OTs are gone). Arnfeldt hasn't started, but he has shown flashes of brilliance on the field... he will make an impact in the future. If we get Nix (or even Jernigan in 1, Anthony Johnson in 3, DaQuan Jones, and so on) depth on the D Line becomes a none issue.

Whether or not ILBs are worth Rd 1 picks... something we both can agree on: the Steelers have depth at ILB.

We have depth at Safety.

There are plenty of Cornerbacks who can cover better than Gilbert and are Faster than Dennard in the mid/late rounds.

WR is also very deep this year.

You still didn't really address the depth at OLB: there's Worilds (possible departure), Jones (sophomore season), Moats (Special Teams like you mentioned), then Chris Carter?

If the Steelers want to get back to being an elite pass rushing team, then at OLB in Rd 2 Attaochu is my guy... (with Dee Ford and Demarcus Lawrence as suitable substitutes if a team like Atlanta takes picks him first: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...emiah-attaochu ). Attaochu has 196 tackles, 31.5 sacks, 43.5 TFL, 4 forced fumbles, and 5 pass deflections in his career at GT. He is widely considered one of the best pass rushers and defends the pass very well, but the one knock on him is stopping the run (and I agree with you that has been an issue for us since losing Casey Hampton); but folks said the same things about Von Miller... my main point is that elite pass rushers get picked early (I'll also agree with you that Marcus Smith is another good alternative).

We can get a DE/OLB tweener to sure up Cam Heywards side against the run in rounds 5,6, or 7 so even though I'm a fan of Crichton I'd go for the (smaller) elite pass rusher in Rd 2.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:38 AM   #9
MontaniSemperLiberi
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomJB93 View Post
High character guy? lol

Then again, maybe we need a complete scumbag in our defense...because something's missing.
I can see you're from Virginia (I used to live in Hampton when I was in the Air Force so even though I went to WVU... I have to admit there is some talent in the tidewater and I respect VT despite our rivalry) so the forearm shove/strike on Logan Thomas probably ticked off you and GalaxSteeler (that's fair... but it's the only knock you'll ever find on the guy in 4 years at GT). He was still a team Captain in HS and College and is very well spoken.

I watched the clip you posted and noticed that he beat three blockers in one play to get to Logan Thomas in the first place... then after being upset about being held (probably for most of the game)/not being able to wrestle down the big/athletic quarterback he shoved him down forcefully with a forearm strike after the play was dead. Honestly, his stats could be much better if he would have been able to stay at OLB in a 3-4 throughout college... both he and Christian Jones were forced to move to DE and that hurt their sack totals. You should aslo watch some of his interviews then compare him to James Harrison/Jarvis Jones/Dee Ford; or at least check out his tape on the field.

Last edited by MontaniSemperLiberi; 04-20-2014 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Youtube Clip Observation
Old 04-20-2014, 11:52 AM   #10
MontaniSemperLiberi
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
@SteelerJT

This guy is just shotgunning. He's listing as many players, at as many positions as possible; then, he'll come back & post an "I told you so" thread.

He did it earlier this off-season. He called out @Bayz101 for a post from last year... yet, last year, he listed ten other "possible" picks in that same round.

It'd be like me saying that the Steelers will draft Mosley, Dennard, Gilbert, Nix, Hageman, Barr, Ebron, Pryor, Fuller, or Beckham in R1... and then, saying that I had called the pick.
LOL, I don't know about your claim that I was "shotgunning" with about ten different picks for a particular round but at WVU we prefer beer duels:

What specific round are you referring to (in which I was "shotgunning")? What ten people did I suggest we pick in that "shotgun" round? I did post a handful of mock draft scenarios based on player availability, but I never posted ten targets in a particular round.

I do list multiple players that I like at each position in order of precedence* - it's called prioritizing and having contingency plans... but I guess only a military logistics officer would understand that concept.

I did call out @Bays101 for two reasons:

1) Bashing my prediction that we would take Le'Veon Bell in the second/third round when everyone else on here had him graded in round 3 or 4.
2) Bashing my suggested pick of Duke Williams in the 6th round (long story but I opted out of selecting one of my favorite safeties TJ McDonald (USC) in a mock draft so we could add depth at the Center position by taking USC center Khaled Holmes)... Williams will be vying for a starting position with the Bills this season and was selected in the fourth round!

The thing with these mock drafts is: you never know who will be available the next time your team's on the clock... some players and/or positions are worth reaching for despite what round they are graded at; if* they fit your scheme.

For example, this year there are many quality WRs/CBs graded in the later rounds; I've seen Coleman, Latimer, and Street all graded, on average, somewhere in the fifth but I doubt Latimer will last past the fourth and Coleman could be selected in the third round. "Why?" you might ask... well in a league with officiating bias for high scoring offense I believe drafting the WR position has become more valuable than the CB because most of the time they are allowed to be more physical than CBs (defeating the jam at the LOS, PI, hand battling, etc). There are exceptions to how physical the refs let CBs play; like the Seahawks last year and the Patriots a few years ago (most teams coach their DBs on how to get away with holding because the refs can't spot it or call it on every play). So even though I'm high on Pierre Desir and to a lesser degree Keith McGill... I would opt for Coleman or Latimer instead; and then try to pick-up E.J. Gaines or Victor Hampton in a later round.

Likewise since the league has departed from the running game, I would opt for a player graded as a "second tier" pass rusher (if they fit our scheme/don't have character concerns) over this year's top tier of running backs. It's not that I don't think a player like Lache Seastrunk deserves to be picked in the 2nd/3rd round... I just think he'll still be there when we pick in the fourth. Conversely, I doubt there will be any "second tier" pass rushers left after the second round and I'd really like the Steelers to at least come away from this draft with one decent pick at OLB.

Last edited by MontaniSemperLiberi; 04-21-2014 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Reason 2 - incorrect poster