Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 04-22-2014, 07:23 PM   #11
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 6,260 Times in 2,967 Posts
My Mood: Sick
Default Re: "Legal" Immigration into the United States: 1 Million per year

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVABE View Post
I know a lady that works at walmart and she says the majority of the chicken plant workers are foreigners and says most of them wire some pretty big bucks back to their native countries.
She also says she knows damn well they aint making that at the chicken shack.
Think it through. If they could get big bucks, what is the motivation for working in a shit place like a chicken plant?

I love anecdotal evidence.

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:40 PM   #12
SteelerEmpire
Living Legend

Member Number: 14355
Thanked 2,434 Times in 1,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
The city got her a fraudulent number and arranged for the border guards to go along?

What type of benefit check?
I think so. I remember she said welfare check, so I think Texas State welfare. I think the system down there has been pretty much infiltrated with the illegal way of doing things. This is pretty much well known stuff for that area of the country. There could very well be hundreds of thousands at it along those border areas.

A HOUSE DIVIDED WILL FALL TO IT'S ENEMIES;
BUT IN UNITY THERE ARE 6' SUPER BOWLS !!!
SteelerEmpire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:43 PM   #13
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerEmpire View Post
I think so. I remember she said welfare check, so I think Texas State welfare. I think the system down there has been pretty much infiltrated with the illegal way of doing things. This is pretty much well known stuff for that area of the country.
We know why employers like illegal workers, no payroll taxes, minimum wage or osha rules. Treat them like shit and pay them peanuts. I'm struggling to find the benefit for the city or state to give benefits away on purpose. What's in it for them?

Old 04-22-2014, 07:46 PM   #14
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 6,425 Times in 2,372 Posts

votes

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MACH1 For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (04-22-2014), MasterOfPuppets (04-22-2014), NSMaster56 (04-22-2014)
Old 04-22-2014, 07:48 PM   #15
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,243 Times in 1,804 Posts

Quote:
Think it through. If they could get big bucks, what is the motivation for working in a shit place like a chicken plant?

I love anecdotal evidence.
why do billionaires continue to invest and try to make more money ?
why do wealthy people pump millions of their own money into campaigns to win a job that pays 175 thousand dollars ?

South Jersey congressional candidate puts $2 million into campaign, raises almost nothing from others

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf...t_nothing.html

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:54 PM   #16
SteelerEmpire
Living Legend

Member Number: 14355
Thanked 2,434 Times in 1,083 Posts

Quote:
We know why employers like illegal workers, no payroll taxes, minimum wage or osha rules. Treat them like shit and pay them peanuts. I'm struggling to find the benefit for the city or state to give benefits away on purpose. What's in it for them?
Those employers have a level of influence over the local politicians. No one else wants to do the kind of work that illegals tackle, esp. for the kind of money their paid. Cheap costs produce bigger profits. They tried to deport a shat load of illegals here in my area, Oklahoma, but so many of the businesses raised hell it was dropped quicker than you could blink. Yes, the "hard core laws" were still on the books against illegals, but no one enforced them, especially police agencies. So if you call in on an illegal, and no one ever comes out to arrest them, well... It's a selfish profit motive of business thats the main force that drives the illegal population boom, but at the same time the businesses hands are tied because no one else wants to do the BS work the illegals will do.
If we cut off their flow income here in the US, thus making staying in Mexico "a better deal", an exodus would be their next move.

A HOUSE DIVIDED WILL FALL TO IT'S ENEMIES;
BUT IN UNITY THERE ARE 6' SUPER BOWLS !!!
SteelerEmpire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:59 PM   #17
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
why do billionaires continue to invest and try to make more money ?
why do wealthy people pump millions of their own money into campaigns to win a job that pays 175 thousand dollars ?

South Jersey congressional candidate puts $2 million into campaign, raises almost nothing from others

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf...t_nothing.html
Yep, investing and working in a chicken plant are the same. They do ti for fun or the challenge. Thanks. Then, exhausted but with the slave wages, they spend the free hour before sleep making a fortune to send home. If only they could figure out how to find more time for that lucrative endeavor. think about it later, need to sleep and be at work at 6 for fun with tyson.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:07 PM   #18
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

http://www.pri.org/stories/2013-05-1...ocessing-lines

Jama says America has been good to her. Tyson wages start at $9 an hour and English is not required. But the work is repetitive andIn a small apartment in Noel, Missouri, seven roommates from Somalia get ready for the night shift. Siido Jama fries up meat and onion sambusas, a stuffed pastry. Next, she will head across the river to a poultry processing plant run by Tyson Foods and work until early morning.

dangerous and employees cycle through plants quickly. If Jama becomes injured or finds another opportunity, another immigrant worker would likely step in to replace her.

"The poultry industry has been one of several industries that has had the clear experience that it needs foreign-born workers or access to foreign-born workers as part of its workforce," Doris Meissner of Migration Policy Institute explains.

Outside the Tyson plant, a sign reads, "Now hiring, call today." Immigrants and refugees are the ones flocking to work here, not locals.

At 4:30 p.m., cars arrive at the plant to drop off night shift workers wearing flowered skirts and hijabs. The around 1,500 employees come from Africa, the Pacific, Latin America and Asia.

At some meat plants, workers are hired illegally, prompting an increasing government crack down. In 2001, Tyson was charged with
smuggling in workers from Mexico and was later acquitted.

Now the food industry is lobbying Washington to make it easier to hire immigrants legally.

In February this year, National Chicken Council President Mike Brown testified on behalf of food manufacturers. "We seek workers who will stay on the job to become skilled and efficient," he told Congressional representatives.

Legislation before Congress would grant millions of immigrants legal status, if it passes. It may grant visas to more guest workers and extend rights such as minimum wage levels and mobility like never before. New rules would allow workers to switch jobs instead of being tied to one employer.

That is a breakthrough and "gives workers leverage," Meissner says.

While it is unclear how pending legislation would play out in the workforce, for now many immigrants say they'll continue doing the tough work of cutting, deboning and packing poultry.

In her living room, Guatemalan migrant Irma Brown demonstrates her trimming job at the Tyson factory. First grab the carcass, flip it, hack off the wings—repeat. She does this for hours everyday.

Brown is proud of her work, which has enabled her to buy and house and support her children and grandchildren. But years of fast repetitive motion have worn down her wrists and arms.

Brown has had three surgeries for carpal and cubital tunnel syndrome, but her hands still cramp up in the night and prevent her from closing her fingers. The pain keeps her from sleeping. During the day she loses her grip and will suddenly drop plates of Chinese food or cooking pots on the floor.

Micronesian worker Merlina Manuel says she works in freezing temperatures packing chicken breast into foam trays at a rate of 60 to 70 per minute.

"If the order is really big and the time is really short then they make it fast," Manuel says. "Sometimes we really shout and say, 'What's going on?' But we do what we have to do."

Processing line work could intensify under a new rules proposed by the Department of Agriculture aimed at containing harmful food-borne bacteria. The proposal would decrease food inspectors in factories, speed up processing lines and save food companies money. Advocates worry that already notorious worker injuries will increase.

Tyson spokesman Gary Mickelson says the company's policies prevent injuries. "We care about our employees, we value them, we want to make sure their safe on the job ... The right to a safe workplace is part of our team member bill of rights."

But some immigrant workers want out.

Carina Vega worked illegally at chicken plants for years, after migrating from Mexico. Now she and other ex-poultry workers run a new Mexican restaurant across the street from the Tyson plant. Vega says she needs both hands to raise her kids, feed them and do their laundry, so she can't afford to hurt her hands.

"We came to work," she says in Spanish. "If they treated us a little bit better, a little more human, there wouldn't be any problem."

For now though, Tyson and other food companies will count on someone else, perhaps another immigrant, to fill Vega's spot.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vis For This Useful Post:
fer522 (04-22-2014), SteelerEmpire (04-22-2014)
Old 04-22-2014, 08:11 PM   #19
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerEmpire View Post
Those employers have a level of influence over the local politicians. No one else wants to do the kind of work that illegals tackle, esp. for the kind of money their paid. Cheap costs produce bigger profits. They tried to deport a shat load of illegals here in my area, Oklahoma, but so many of the businesses raised hell it was dropped quicker than you could blink. Yes, the "hard core laws" were still on the books against illegals, but no one enforced them, especially police agencies. So if you call in on an illegal, and no one ever comes out to arrest them, well... It's a selfish profit motive of business thats the main force that drives the illegal population boom, but at the same time the businesses hands are tied because no one else wants to do the BS work the illegals will do.
If we cut off their flow income here in the US, thus making staying in Mexico "a better deal", an exodus would be their next move.
But if the shit jobs are a better deal, how bad must they have had it in Mexico or wherever? These are human beings struggling to survive. They have it hard enough. Why they are hated for it is beyond me.

The Following User Says Thank You to Vis For This Useful Post:
SteelerEmpire (04-22-2014)
Old 04-22-2014, 08:24 PM   #20
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,922 Times in 4,520 Posts

Quote:
But if the shit jobs are a better deal, how bad must they have had it in Mexico or wherever? These are human beings struggling to survive. They have it hard enough. Why they are hated for it is beyond me.
Yep. Its the lazy Americans who would rather drop out of high school and pop out babiesthat are too good to earn an honest living working in a chicken plant who are tthe bigger problem.