Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 05-31-2014, 08:51 AM   #21
vrabinec
Head Coach

Member Number: 8821
Thanked 1,403 Times in 725 Posts
My Mood: Buzzed
Default Re: Spence Updates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post
Last time Timmons played OLB he was average at best. I wouldn't want to move our best LBer to another position.
Yeah, I don't think I'd go that direction either.
vrabinec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 12:36 PM   #22
The_Joker
Living Legend

Member Number: 24540
Thanked 2,133 Times in 1,126 Posts
My Mood: Devilish

Sean Spence is going to return before Derrick Rose, lol.
EbonySteel86 (06-12-2014), harrison'samonster (06-09-2014)
Old 06-06-2014, 03:49 AM   #23
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 14,571 Times in 5,978 Posts
My Mood: Happy

Sean Spence participating in Steelers offseason workouts

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on June 6, 2014

The Pittsburgh Steelers drafted Sean Spence in the third round of the 2012 NFL Draft with the hope he would add to the lineage of standout Steelers linebackers.

However, a gruesome knee injury in the 2012 preseason has kept Spence from appearing in a single game for the Steelers the last two seasons.

Spence suffered a torn ACL and LCL, a dislocated knee cap and nerve damage when he was blocked while chasing after Carolina Panthers backup quarterback Jimmy Clausen.

Spence returned to the practice field for the Steelers last October after beginning the season on the physically unable to perform list. After practicing for three weeks, Spence ultimately landed on injured reserve, officially ending his second season in the league.

However, Spence is continuing to progress toward a return that was once thought to require a “miraculous” recovery to even be possible.

According to Mark Kaboly of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, Spence has participated in all six of the Steelers OTAs over the past two weeks.

“It is still a process,” Spence said. “This is just step one of coming out and competing and reacting off of other guys instead of cones. When I get to Latrobe (for training camp), I will be able to test it even more there.”

Head coach Mike Tomlin said in May he “can’t wait to watch” Spence play football again. Considering how close Spence’s career came to being over, making it back on the field for preseason games should be considered a major accomplishment. If he can make the roster, Spence may be able to give Pittsburgh an unexpected boost on defense.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ason-workouts/
Old 06-06-2014, 09:11 AM   #24
Goldsteel86
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 16432
Thanked 1,213 Times in 648 Posts

I am really pulling for this kid, you have to admire what he has been through, the determination alone tells me he is definitely Steeler material. I believe Spence will make the cut and contribute to this team tremendously, hell I believe there are a lot of players on the team than can learn a lot from his tribulations!
Goldsteel86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Goldsteel86 For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (06-11-2014), harrison'samonster (06-09-2014), Hawaii 5-0 (06-07-2014)
Old 06-07-2014, 03:37 AM   #25
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

True test still waiting for Steelers LB Sean Spence

By Jeff.Hartman on Jun 6 2014

The feel good story of Sean Spence's return seems to be coming to fruition, but the true test still awaits the linebacker.

Everyone loves a redemption story. The rags to riches tale. The hero that gets knocked down and picks himself back up to win the fight. You could put Steelers' 2012 third round draft pick, Sean Spence, into all of those categories as he still continues his rehab process from a gruesome knee injury in his rookie preseason.

When linebackers coach, Keith Butler, deemed Spence's possible return as "needing a miracle", things didn't look good. However, Spence has battled his way back and has been a full participant in every one of the Steelers' OTAs that have been ongoing the past two weeks, hoping to prove that miracles can and do happen.

However, Spence realizes that he is still a long ways away from actually considering himself to be "back".

"It is still a process," "This is just step one of coming out and competing and reacting off of other guys instead of cones. When I get to Latrobe, I will be able to test it even more there." Spence told Mark Kaboly of the Pittsburgh Tribue-Review.

As exciting as it may be for fans to see this comeback story reach its pinnacle with Spence suiting up on Sundays at Heinz Field, it is good to know that Spence realizes that the journey he is traveling still has many miles to go.

As an organization, the Steelers can only hope and pray that Spence is able to help return and help bolster a very young and inexperienced linebacking corps.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...us-update-2014
Old 06-09-2014, 05:04 PM   #26
Rotorhead
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 703
My Mood: Relaxed

Interesting take from ESPN about ILB becoming a possible strength this season, but basically same info as above from ESPN's Scott Brown:

"PITTSBURGH -- Sean Spence said he is at full strength but the Pittsburgh Steelers' linebacker stopped short of proclaiming he is all the way back from the career-threatening knee injury he sustained almost two years ago.

"It's still a process," Spence said Thursday after the Steelers' final practice of the week. "When I get to Latrobe I'll be able to test my knee more there."

The good news for Spence and the Steelers is he has looked good while testing his reconstructed left knee during organized team activities. Spence has been a full participant in all six of the Steelers' six voluntary practices, and he doesn't plan on taking any of the remaining practices off as a precaution.

What is most encouraging for Spence and the Steelers: the 2012 third-round pick said he is not thinking about his left knee when he is out on the field.

"Once I get warmed up I'm out there running around, having fun and competing," Spence said. "[The knee] has been responding pretty solid, and I've been out here every day. Hopefully I can continue that."

It has been an arduous road back since Spence shredded his left knee in the Steelers' final preseason game in 2012. The 5-foot-11, 231-pounder tore multiple ligaments and also sustained nerve damage, putting his career in peril before it had started.

Spence has worked tirelessly to get back to the field, and he overcame another setback last season when he returned to practice only to break a finger and get sidelined again.

"It was frustrating at times," he said, "but I had to be patient."

It's hard not to root for that patience to be rewarded given everything that Spence has had to overcome. And if his left knee holds up during the grind of training camp, Pittsburgh's inside linebacker position could become a strength a season after it was a liability last season.

Imagine Lawrence Timmons and Ryan Shazier backed up by Vince Williams, who had to start 11 games as a rookie because of an injury to Larry Foote, and Spence.

It's still way too early to anoint Shazier as the starter alongside Timmons or expect Spence to make an impact in 2014. But the prognosis at inside linebacker is promising, especially when it comes to Spence.

"Being out for two years and being able to sit in meeting and see coach (Keith Butler) makes corrections with the guys, I always try to use the mental aspect of the game as an advantage," Spence said. "To take that all in and bring it out to the field has been good for me."

If McClendon improves like I am hoping, then our Def will be a strength again and we just might have a very good team. Right now we are questionable at OLB and I have only a modicum of confidence in our secondary at this point. If we can shore up those during training camp (have our secondary progress well and maybe get some solid backups for OLB as well as have JJ and Worilds progress well from last season) which is all very possible.
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rotorhead For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (06-11-2014), harrison'samonster (06-09-2014), Lady Steel (06-12-2014)
Old 06-10-2014, 11:35 PM   #27
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516

I hope this guys makes it back. With us or someone else, he showed a helluva lot of heart! I'm certainly rooting for him.
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to austinfrench76 For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (06-11-2014), harrison'samonster (06-11-2014)
Old 06-12-2014, 10:03 PM   #28
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Spence eyes return to Heinz Field

Posted Jun 11, 2014
By Mike Prisuta

Each offseason of the Mike Tomlin era has included a trip to Heinz Field where the Steelers conduct one of their 10 allotted OTAs. The one there this past Tuesday marked an anniversary of sorts for Sean Spence, one that didn’t go unnoticed.

It was two years ago when Spence, then a promising third-round draft pick, came up with an acrobatic, athletic interception that seemingly captured the attention of everyone who was at Heinz Field that day. Two years later and still in the process of working his way back from a horrific knee injury suffered in the preseason finale later that summer, Spence hasn’t forgotten.

“It was actually my first practice in this building as a rookie,” Spence recalled just after the Steelers had completed the 2014 version of that workout on their home field. “I remember it was off of Byron Leftwich. It was a great play.

“I remember it like it was yesterday.”

Spence has gone through quite an ordeal since then, but he’s also made remarkable progress toward a comeback that was no sure thing in the immediate aftermath of the surgery required to repair his knee.

Spence won’t yet declare himself 100 percent in his recovery. But if the Steelers had another event scheduled for this Sunday at Heinz Field, Spence is of the opinion he’d be capable of participating in that, too.

“If we had a game, yeah, I think I could play,” he said.

He said he’s been playing “with the No. 2s” (the second-team defense) during OTAs, but Spence made it clear he isn’t coming back just to be a backup at inside linebacker.

“I don’t think anybody wants to stay with the No. 2s,” he said. “We’re all competing as a linebacker group. I trust the coaching staff to make the best decision for this team.”

Although he’s designated as a third-year player on the roster, Spence is still waiting to play in his first NFL game, but he’s at least been around the past two seasons, and he kept his eyes and ears open while rehabbing his knee.

The experience is paying dividends now that Spence has made it back onto the field.

“It’s a big edge,” he said. “Especially being around Larry Foote a lot. I was always up under him the two years I had here with him and I learned a lot from him. Being able to sit and watch, it helped a lot.”

OTAs will be followed by minicamp and then it will be on to training camp, an event Spence is embracing as “another test for me, another step.”

He’ll be a confident player when the shoulder pads come on and the hitting commences.

“I think I could be the best,” Spence said this week.

On the team? In the league?

“I’ll just leave it at ‘the best,’” he said. “It feels good to be out here, period. And then to bring it to Heinz Field and practice again with the guys is very humbling, I’m grateful for it. I’m just taking it all in right now.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article...9-f188c7797468
Old 06-18-2014, 07:40 PM   #29
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

SPENCE FOR 6

If linebacker Sean Spence had any doubts that he is 100 percent back from a gruesome knee injury that cost him his first two years, Wednesday might just have erased those.

Spence dropped into coverage during a team period in which the offense was backed inside the 5-yard line and intercepted a pass from Landry Jones intended for Darrius Heyward-Bey and returned it for a touchdown.

“I pretty much had a spot drop, and Coach (Keith) Butler has been pretty much harping on spot drops and reading the quarterback eyes all week,” Spence said. “I finally put it all together and got an interception.”

For Spence, just being able to make a play by simply reacting was definitely a confidence boost heading into training camp in late July.

“Being out of football for two years and being able to read the quarterback and break on it and make an interception without thinking about it felt pretty great,” Spence said. “I am 100 percent now, and I am looking forward to taking the next step.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...#ixzz351skzUxW
Old 06-18-2014, 07:59 PM   #30
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,318 Times in 3,489 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Awesome, I'm really looking forward to the training camp battle between spence and shazier
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire Arians For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (06-18-2014)