Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 06-12-2014, 09:56 PM   #21
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 14,512 Times in 5,954 Posts
My Mood: Happy
Default Re: Shamarko Thomas' impact still slow to develop for Steelers

Thomas: 'I have progressed a lot'

Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

Safety Shamarko Thomas is not afraid of hard work.

All was quiet in the Steelers locker room on one of the team’s off days during OTAs recently, and for good reason. It was barely 7 a.m., and anyone that would be coming in to work out on the off day wasn’t there yet.

Except for safety Shamarko Thomas, that is.

Thomas doesn’t run on a clock, doesn’t base his comings and goings on the fact that most people are still asleep because he looks at that as an opportunity to get a jump on things and get a little extra preparation in.

It’s the same approach he took last season, trying to learn as much as he could, but being in a much more comfortable spot now with a much greater understanding of what he is doing.

“I have progressed a lot,” said Thomas. “I just know the whole defense now. Last year I was all over the place, just wanting to know my role. This year I am just settled in and comfortable and just playing.

“It’s like college, your freshman year you don’t know the defense and the next year you settle in and fly around and make plays. That’s what I am doing now. I don’t have to think and second guess myself. I just fly around and make plays.”

Thomas weighed in on a few other topics as well.

On what he sees his role being: “I don’t know. That is up to the coaches. I am going to work my butt off and come to camp ready. What happens, happens.”

On what he needs to show during OTAs: “I am a quiet person and last year because I didn’t know the defense, I need to communicate and be consistent. That is my biggest thing. I talk to Troy (Polamalu) every day and try to be consistent in everything I do.”

On what he needs to work on: “The playbook. I was playing nickel, safety, and I was in packages and all over the place. The big thing Troy told me was to learn the whole defense, so it was a great development last year learning the whole defense and now I am here comfortable because I know where everybody is and where I am supposed to be and where to make plays.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article...7-02674955c307
Old 07-12-2014, 12:40 AM   #22
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 14,512 Times in 5,954 Posts
My Mood: Happy
Default Re: Shamarko Thomas' impact still slow to develop for Steelers

Getting To Know: Shamarko Thomas

By Mike Prisuta

The following is the latest installment of Getting To Know, a chance to learn a little more about Steelers’ players who were added to the roster over the last few years.

Position: S

Height: 5-9

Weight: 217

College: Syracuse

Years Pro: 2

How Acquired: No. 4a, 2013

Football Mentor/Inspiration: My family. I have uncles and step-dads that played football so I just fell in love with the game that way.

Proudest Football Moment/Memory: Getting drafted by the Pittsburgh Steelers. Getting drafted is a dream come true. You dream about it since the age of five and it finally comes true. That was my biggest moment.

Favorite Teammate: Troy (Polamalu) and Ryan Clark. Those are my mentors but they’re also like a father figure to me.

Initial NFL Attraction: Just the excitement. You have crazy fans, and then you have players like Troy and Brian Dawkins and Sean Taylor making big hits. I like making big hits and that just attracted me to the game.

Football Philosophy: Go hard, full go and fast. And give out big hits.

Impression of Pittsburgh: Amazing environment, I just love it.

Perception of Steelers: Family and winning. It shows in the way the whole team puts in work and how they’re dedicated to the game.

Goals/Aspirations for 2014: I have a lot of goals but I’m just staying focused and training hard.

Career Goals:Hopefully I can stay in this league as long as possible and be one of the greatest players to play this game.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article...f-9857ab2b0cc6