Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 06-21-2014, 10:29 PM   #311
NSMaster56
Team Owner

Member Number: 23979
Thanked 3,810 Times in 1,740 Posts
Default Re: U.S. Patent Office cancels multiple Redskins trademarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerJT View Post
Do you think there's a part of Germany named Konzentrationslager right now?

You've got to hand it to America. When we fuck you, we really fuck you and have no shame about it.
That's one of the darkly hilarious aspects of humanity that I love most (the 'self righteous indignation').

Every race/people tries to play the 'we're not so bad' card and, except for maybe Sweden and Switzerland, it's total crap.

Practically every race/people/country has committed heinous acts against another. History is mostly accounts of grisly murder or expansion through force.

There is no monopoly on shame.
NSMaster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NSMaster56 For This Useful Post:
Atlanta Dan (06-21-2014), harrison'samonster (06-22-2014), NJarhead (06-24-2014), SteelerJT (06-21-2014)
Old 06-21-2014, 10:59 PM   #312
SteelerEmpire
Team Owner

Member Number: 14355
Thanked 1,904 Times in 862 Posts

Wow ! And all this time I've been there I thought it meant F'd up, backwater, incest lovers ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
it should be changed then.

A HOUSE DIVIDED WILL FALL TO IT'S ENEMIES;
BUT IN UNITY THERE ARE 6' SUPER BOWLS !!!
SteelerEmpire is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelerEmpire For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (06-22-2014)
Old 06-22-2014, 09:29 AM   #313
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 20,493 Times in 8,549 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSMaster56 View Post
I have seen how the mind of Teegre works and it is a dark and scary place!

P.S., I didn't know TIJTF was an actual acronym. I thought I was making up a sarcastic reply. D'oh!
Take a journey. It's a wild ride.

PS: Your acronym might not have meant anything, but in three minutes, it became one with the teenagers... and instantaneously became passé.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (06-23-2014)
Old 06-23-2014, 02:40 PM   #314
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 5,151 Times in 2,541 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Joker View Post
Believe it or not, I have a shred of empathy in my cold, black, shriveled heart.
So, do you think that the newest member, Toby V. is real or do you think it's BigCat1973 with multiple accounts?

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:12 PM   #315
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,113 Times in 3,201 Posts

Well I suppose this was inevitable

Va. legislators want to create a ‘Redskins Pride Caucus’

For Del. David Ramadan, the Washington Redskins’ name is a source of pride that shouldn’t be messed with.

Ramadan (R-Loudon), a fan since the mid-1980s, said he plans to form a “Redskins Pride Caucus” with Del. Jackson Miller (R-Manassas), Sen. Chap Petersen (D-Fairfax City) and other Virginia legislators to represent fans of the professional football team.

Last week, the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office canceled the football team’s registration. According to a 99-page decision by the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, the team’s name and logo are disparaging.

Opponents of the team’s name view it as a racial slur against Native Americans.

Ramadan said the caucus plans to provide a voice for fans and season ticket holders, as well as support for the team franchise. He argues that the team is a Virginia-based business that generates hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue.

The caucus opposes the involvement of the U.S. Congress. Sen. Maria Cantwell (D-Wash.) and 49 other members of Congress sent a letter last month to the National Football League urging the league to change the Redskins name. Ramadan said the letter-writing members should “go work on other issues and leave our Virginia businesses alone.”

The caucus also supports commercial freedom in the commonwealth and the rights of businesses to their brands and intellectual property, according to a release.

Ramadan, in a phone interview as he drove to Richmond, where the caucus will convene at 3:30 p.m. Monday, said he’s heard from hundreds of constituents in the past few weeks.

“Wherever I go, it has been a constant topic that comes up,” he said. “People ask me, ‘What can be done?’ This is our team, and as representatives of the people of Virginia, we are standing up for our citizens.”

As he hung up the phone, Ramadan paused and said, “Go Redskins.”

http://m.washingtonpost.com/local/va...8ce_story.html
Old 06-23-2014, 08:34 PM   #316
NSMaster56
Team Owner

Member Number: 23979
Thanked 3,810 Times in 1,740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Well I suppose this was inevitable

Va. legislators want to create a ‘Redskins Pride Caucus’

[I]For Del. David Ramadan,
NSMaster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NSMaster56 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2014, 10:50 PM   #317
kan_t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 21653

Sorry if it has been posted before.

Have the people spoken?

I guess this is where I'm supposed to fall in line and do what every other American sports writer is doing. I'm supposed to swear I won't ever write the words "Washington Redskins" anymore because it's racist and offensive and a slap in the face to all Native Americans who ever lived. Maybe it is.

I just don't quite know how to tell my father-in-law, a Blackfeet Indian. He owns a steak restaurant on the reservation near Browning, Mont. He has a hard time seeing the slap-in-the-face part.

"The whole issue is so silly to me," says Bob Burns, my wife's father and a bundle holder in the Blackfeet tribe. "The name just doesn't bother me much. It's an issue that shouldn't be an issue, not with all the problems we've got in this country."

And I definitely don't know how I'll tell the athletes at Wellpinit (Wash.) High School -- where the student body is 91.2 percent Native American -- that the "Redskins" name they wear proudly across their chests is insulting them. Because they have no idea.

"I've talked to our students, our parents and our community about this and nobody finds any offense at all in it," says Tim Ames, the superintendent of Wellpinit schools. "'Redskins' is not an insult to our kids. 'Wagon burners' is an insult. 'Prairie n-----s' is an insult. Those are very upsetting to our kids. But 'Redskins' is an honorable name we wear with pride. … In fact, I'd like to see somebody come up here and try to change it."

Boy, you try to help some people …

And it's not going to be easy telling the Kingston (Okla.) High School (57.7 percent Native American) Redskins that the name they've worn on their uniforms for 104 years has been a joke on them this whole time. Because they wear it with honor.

"We have two great tribes here," says Kingston assistant school superintendent Ron Whipkey, "the Chicasaw and the Choctaw. And not one member of those tribes has ever come to me or our school with a complaint. It is a prideful thing to them."

"It's a name that honors the people," says Kingston English teacher Brett Hayes, who is Choctaw. "The word 'Oklahoma' itself is Choctaw for 'red people.' The students here don't want it changed. To them, it seems like it's just people who have no connection with the Native American culture, people out there trying to draw attention to themselves.

"My kids are really afraid we're going to lose the Redskin name. They say to me, 'They're not going to take it from us, are they, Dad?'"

Too late. White America has spoken. You aren't offended, so we'll be offended for you.

Same story with the Red Mesa (Ariz.) High School Redskins. They wear the name with fierce pride. They absolutely don't see it as an insult. But what do they know? The student body is only 99.3 percent Native American.

And even though an Annenberg Public Policy Center poll found that 90 percent of Native Americans were not offended by the Redskins name, and even though linguists say the "redskins" word was first used by Native Americans themselves, and even though nobody on the Blackfeet side of my wife's family has ever had someone insult them with the word "redskin," it doesn't matter. There's no stopping a wave of PC-ness when it gets rolling.

I mean, when media stars like USA Today's Christine Brennan, a white woman from Ohio, and Peter King, a white man from Massachusetts, have jumped on a people's cause, there's no going back.

Besides, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said last week that if "even one person is offended" on this issue, we need to "listen."

One person?

Got it. Guess we need to listen to people who are offended by the Kansas City Chiefs' name, too. That's one that offends my father-in-law. "You see some little guy wearing a headdress made of chicken feathers," he says, "painting his face up, making a mockery of us. I hate that. Those are things you earn."

One person? I know an atheist who is offended by religious names like the New Orleans Saints and Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. There are people who who don't think Ole Miss should be the Rebels. People who lost family to Hurricanes. There are people who think Wizards promotes paganism. Shall we listen to all of them?

I guess so.

Edmundo Macedo, vice president of ESPN's Stats & Information group, told ESPN ombudsman Robert Lipsyte that the term Redskins is abhorrent. "We would not accept anything similar as a team nickname if it were associated with any other ethnicity or any other race," Macedo said.

Oh, yes, we would.

In fact, ESPN and many other media companies cover the Notre Dame Fighting Irish, the Cleveland Indians and the Atlanta Braves without a single searing search of their social conscience.

Doesn't matter. The 81-year-old Washington Redskins name is falling, and everybody better get out of the way. For the majority of Native Americans who don't care, we'll care for them. For the Native Americans who haven't asked for help, we're glad to give it to them.

Trust us. We know what's best. We'll take this away for your own good, and put up barriers that protect you from ever being harmed again.

Kind of like a reservation.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/96...ot-easy-sounds

Interesting prespective.
kan_t is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kan_t For This Useful Post:
NJarhead (06-24-2014)
Old 06-23-2014, 11:43 PM   #318
Bane
Head Coach

Member Number: 24775
Thanked 3,040 Times in 1,243 Posts

Interesting article I read a while back, that is related to the discussion:

http://www.cracked.com/article_19864...g-america.html
Old 06-24-2014, 07:13 AM   #319
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,113 Times in 3,201 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
Sorry if it has been posted before.

Have the people spoken?

I just don't quite know how to tell my father-in-law, a Blackfeet Indian. He owns a steak restaurant on the reservation near Browning, Mont. He has a hard time seeing the slap-in-the-face part.

"The whole issue is so silly to me," says Bob Burns, my wife's father and a bundle holder in the Blackfeet tribe. "The name just doesn't bother me much. It's an issue that shouldn't be an issue, not with all the problems we've got in this country."

Interesting prespective.
Once again, the decision issued last week did not hold every Native American needed to be offended but also did not hold that all that is required is for one person to be offended

But the column to which you linked created some issues other than those raised by its author

My son-in-law, ESPN’s Rick Reilly, completely misunderstood the conversation we had, quoting me as saying “the whole issue is so silly. The name just doesn't bother me much. It's an issue that shouldn't be an issue, not with all the problems we've got in this country."

But that’s not what I said.

What I actually said is that “it’s silly in this day and age that this should even be a battle — if the name offends someone, change it.”

http://deadspin.com/rick-reillys-ame...lly-1443599450

And no surprise Rush blames this on Obama - PolitiFact calls bulls**t on El Rushbo

Rush Limbaugh reaches with claim that Obama canceled Washington Redskins' name

Limbaugh said, the decision to cancel the trademark of the Washington Redskins "is not the Patent and Trademark Office. This is Barack Obama."

Limbaugh, for whom a spokesman could not be reached, does not prove that Obama usurped the administrative law judges’ hands in canceling the trademark. The court issued the same decision in 1999. This time, the two judges who found the trademarks disparaging were appointed in the Bush years. The judges do not serve at the pleasure of the president and have to be fired for cause.

We rate Limbaugh’s claim False.

http://www.politifact.com/punditfact...me-washington/

Last edited by Atlanta Dan; 06-24-2014 at 07:26 AM.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Atlanta Dan For This Useful Post:
NSMaster56 (06-24-2014), SteelerJT (06-24-2014), teegre (06-24-2014)
Old 06-24-2014, 07:24 AM   #320
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 5,151 Times in 2,541 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Once again, the decision issued last week did not hold every Native American needed to be offended but also did not hold that all that is required is for one person to be offended

But the column to which you linked created some issues other than those raised by its author

My son-in-law, ESPN’s Rick Reilly, completely misunderstood the conversation we had, quoting me as saying “the whole issue is so silly. The name just doesn't bother me much. It's an issue that shouldn't be an issue, not with all the problems we've got in this country."

But that’s not what I said.

What I actually said is that “it’s silly in this day and age that this should even be a battle — if the name offends someone, change it.”

http://deadspin.com/rick-reillys-ame...lly-1443599450
oops

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is offline   Reply With Quote