Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 07-21-2014, 09:08 AM   #391
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,505 Times in 3,740 Posts
Default Re: U.S. Patent Office cancels multiple Redskins trademarks

Interesting read in SI MMQB on how several NFL reporters cover training camp includes this discussion of use of the Redskins name when reporting on the team

How do you feel about using the word “Redskins” in your reporting and why?

Anderson: I grew up in the Greater Washington, D.C. area. One of my earliest memories of the Washington Redskins is Super Bowl XXII when Doug Williams led the team to a 42-10 win over the Broncos. I remember the celebration that erupted around the entire city, on the airwaves, in print, and among all the people at that time. That was especially true for African-Americans. Williams' achievement as the first black starting quarterback to win a Super Bowl -- and to have an MVP performance -- was a great source of pride. But now, when I think back to being a young fan, it actually boggles my mind that I never considered the negative connotation the team's mascot could carry for anyone in the Native American community. It really didn't enter my mode of thinking until early in my journalism career when I began to notice a spattering of articles that illuminated the team's name as a racial slur. The discussion didn't gain strong momentum in my mind until the Oneida Indian Nation launched their national "Change the Mascot" campaign, and I covered their press conference in New York last year.

I have met Redskins owner Daniel Snyder several times. I have had the opportunity to chat with him and his public relations staff in the Ashburn, VA facility. I have covered his team more times than I can count -- including on said issue. I do think Mr. Snyder's passion about his team is very authentic. To me, his commitment to the continued use of Redskins as the franchise's name is not a public facade. I read Snyder's emotional letter to season-ticket holders last year, in which he defends the Redskins name to fans. It's clear Snyder is robust in his belief that the team's transition from the "Boston Braves" to the "Boston Redskins" in 1933 did not occur to create a disrespectful label, but instead "was, and continues to be, a badge of honor."

I also know that the Oneida Indian Nation has called upon NFL commissioner Roger Goodell to "do the right thing and bring an end to the use of the racial epithet." Additionally, I know the name can be a painful reminder of the mistreatment of Native Americans in this country and that research has been conducted to document the psychological impact of its use on their people. So while I'm aware the name doesn't offend every Native American, I can comprehend the logic that suggests what is offensive to one should be offensive to all. When it comes to the use of the word Redskins in my reporting, I don't believe it should be totally eradicated. Our use of the name in the dissemination of information isn’t a sign of advocacy. Rather, I see it as a continual recording of its existence. I don't have a personal problem with any reporter who has taken a stance on the issue and who demonstrates their opposition through omission of the name. But when it comes to using the name in the line of work, I choose to stay neutral.

Klemko: I don’t use it. I’ve felt that it is offensive for a long time, and that feeling was confirmed when I visited the Big Cypress reservation in Florida this year and spoke with adults who had been teased with the name in high school. Last February before I joined SI, I wrote a letter to my sports editor at USA Today requesting a policy change on the name. It read, in part:

“My children will ask me why did I not only fail to protest a professional sports team which employed a racial epithet as its mascot, but endorsed the use of the term in print and on the Internet. Should I say it was to keep my job? Or that we felt the billion-dollar industry the mascot came to represent was too rich and powerful to stand up to? Or perhaps that Native Americans were so marginalized at that point in American history, it just didn’t seem to matter? Or that most people, at that time, didn’t mind team names such as ‘Redskins.’ And there might have been a team called the ‘Darkies,’ but it just didn’t have the same ring to it.

No, I’ll say that I wrote a letter. And I’ll say that newspapers are these great places where people argue right and wrong and everyone’s voice is heard. I’ll tell them there were countless untold stories about the diversity of the human experience that I wanted to tell, and I couldn’t sacrifice that opportunity by refusing to write a slur generally accepted by my audience.”

Today I write for a media entity that allows myself and others to abstain from using the name. It’s not enough. But it’s all I can do at the moment.

Marvez: I don’t feel strongly one way or the other. I have no problem using it because I don’t feel there is any racist intent in use of the nickname. But if they became the Redshirts or whatever tomorrow, that’s fine with me, too. I understand why people would be upset about this, but I also don’t think my readers care about my social views on this subject. I can see it from both sides. Dan Snyder is obviously very passionate about this topic because the easiest, smartest and I believe most financially lucrative way to respond would be to re-brand the team with a new nickname (and new merchandise) to indicate a new beginning, while still using the term “Redskins” when reflecting upon the franchise’s proud history.

Reiss: Until recently, it wasn’t at the forefront of my thoughts. It is now, in part because of stories like the one Jenny Vrentas wrote on TheMMQB.com, as well as reading respected voices like Sally Jenkins of the Washington Post and the Boston Globe’s Baxter Holmes. As Vrentas wrote, it’s a nuanced and complicated issue. So I’d say the feeling I now have is a bit of conflict.

Schefter: Not my job to make a stand on their name. If they're keeping the name, I'll keep using the name. If they're not, I won't. I'll call them whatever the team calls itself. It's Dan Snyder's decision, not mine. As far as I can tell, he has as much interest in changing the Redskinsname as I do in changing mine. So to me they remain the Washington Redskins.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/07/20/med...johnny-manziel
Old 07-21-2014, 06:23 PM   #392
The_Joker
Living Legend

Member Number: 24540
Thanked 2,133 Times in 1,126 Posts
My Mood: Devilish

It's all "social justice" until they target the Chiefs.

Oh wait...
Old 07-21-2014, 07:04 PM   #393
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 6,277 Times in 2,975 Posts
My Mood: Stressed

tick tock tick tock tick tock

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 05:51 PM   #394
Blacksburg Zach
Team President
Supporter

Super Mario Flash Champion! Ragnarok Champion!
Member Number: 24584
Thanked 2,815 Times in 1,076 Posts
My Mood: Tired

The name change has finally happened!

Washington Redskins Change Their Name To The D.C. Redskins

SPORTS NEWS IN BRIEF • Sports • NFL Football • Sports Culture • ISSUE 49•41 • Oct 9, 2013

WASHINGTON—Following an outpouring of criticism from across the country, the Washington Redskins announced Wednesday that they are officially changing the team’s name to the D.C. Redskins. “We’ve heard the concerns of many people who have been hurt or offended by the team’s previous name, and I’m happy to say we’ve now rectified the situation once and for all,” said franchise owner Dan Snyder, adding that “Washington Redskins” will be replaced with “D.C. Redskins” on all team logos, uniforms, and apparel. “It was a difficult decision—and one that, frankly, I’m a little embarrassed took me so long to make. So hopefully we can now put this issue to bed and start cheering on our D.C. Redskins.” In light of Snyder’s decision, Cleveland Indians owner Larry Dolan told reporters he will change the feather in Chief Wahoo’s headdress from red to a “more appropriate” shade of red.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/was...e-dc-re,34161/
Wins are a team statistic, not a quarterback statistic.

Winning big will not earn a team two wins, nor will winning ugly give a team only half a win.
Blacksburg Zach is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blacksburg Zach For This Useful Post:
teegre (07-27-2014)
Old 07-27-2014, 10:54 PM   #395
Confounding Factor
Team Captain

Member Number: 25099

Steel hasn't been relevant in Pittsburgh in decades, when is the patent office going to cancel our trademark.
JonM229 (07-28-2014), The_Joker (07-28-2014)
Old 07-28-2014, 06:50 AM   #396
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confounding Factor View Post
Steel hasn't been relevant in Pittsburgh in decades, when is the patent office going to cancel our trademark.
Huh?

Old 07-28-2014, 08:21 AM   #397
JonM229
Living Legend

Member Number: 24803
Thanked 8,928 Times in 3,081 Posts
My Mood: Crappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
Huh?
Pittsburgh isn't known for its steel anymore. Those jobs are long gone (overseas). The fact that the team is still called the Steelers is just rubbing into the unemployed's faces.

"I don't know about you Joe, but I would say that qualifies as elite." -Barack Obama
JonM229 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JonM229 For This Useful Post:
The_Joker (07-28-2014)
Old 07-28-2014, 09:28 AM   #398
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM229 View Post
Pittsburgh isn't known for its steel anymore. Those jobs are long gone (overseas). The fact that the team is still called the Steelers is just rubbing into the unemployed's faces.
Rename them the bridgewalkers

The Following User Says Thank You to Vis For This Useful Post:
GodfatherofSoul (08-19-2014)
Old 07-28-2014, 11:24 AM   #399
Confounding Factor
Team Captain

Member Number: 25099

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
Rename them the bridgewalkers
Bridgewaters would have been great especially if we got that QB too...
NSMaster56 (07-28-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 10:47 PM   #400
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Simms, Dungy to avoid using Washington team name

Posted by Mike Florio on August 18, 2014, 9:47 PM EDT
Simms
Getty Images
As the 2014 NFL regular season approaches, and as a game involving the Washington NFL franchise airs on national television when this item is posted, a pair of prominent national broadcasters plans to avoid uttering the name of the Washington NFL franchise.

Via the Associated Press, Phil Simms of CBS and Tony Dungy of NBC will refrain (or at least try to) from using the name.

It will be somewhat easier for Dungy than Simms. NBC currently doesn’t have a Washington game on the schedule; CBS does, on September 25 against the New York Giants.

“My very first thought is it will be Washington the whole game,” Simms (pictured) told the AP. “I never really thought about it, and then it came up and it made me think about it. There are a lot of things that can come up in a broadcast, and I am sensitive to this.”

It could get a little awkward in the booth, given that Jim Nantz, who works with Simms, plans to use the name because Nantz believes it is “not my job to take a stance.”

“I will personally try not to use Redskins and refer to them as Washington,” Dungy told the Associated Press. “Personal opinion for me, not the network.”

ESPN will continue to use the name. “We use the marks and nicknames as utilized by the teams, leagues and conferences we cover,” the four-letter network said regarding a term that for many has become a four-letter word.

“As long as their nickname is the Redskins, I’ll continue to call them the Redskins,” FOX analyst Troy Aikman said.

I felt that same way until I saw the commercial from the National Congress of American Indians opposing the name. Unless and until someone makes a persuasive case to the contrary, the National Congress of American Indians remains the representative national voice of Native Americans. If the NCAI finds the name to be offensive, that’s enough for me — and for the past several months I’ve been avoiding it wherever I can. (It popped out once today while hosting The Dan Patrick Show.)

That’s not taking a stance. That’s doing what I now think is the right thing to do, even if it will take some time to completely stop using a term that I’ve used ever since I started watching football in the 1970s.