Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 06-24-2014, 03:19 PM   #1
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 5,218 Times in 2,566 Posts
My Mood: Mellow
Default WRs could be a strength for Steelers

There is a reason, beyond the headaches that accompanied his production and flashes of greatness, the Pittsburgh Steelers have no interest in bringing back Santonio Holmes.

They simply don’t need the 30-year-old wide receiver, who won the MVP Award in their last Super Bowl victory but has been plagued by injuries in recent seasons.

“It’s as deep a group as I’ve been around from top to bottom,” Haley said near the end of offseason practices. “I think some guys that are pretty good football players probably won’t make the team.”

Haley tempered his assessment of the Steelers' wide receivers with the acknowledgement that the current group has yet to show what it can collectively do in pads.

And, of course, everything looks better in June when every team is still undefeated and pass-rushers are wearing shorts and are prohibited from hitting quarterbacks.

But Haley’s comment about the overall quality of the Steelers' wide receivers resonates even at this time of year because of his resume.

He coached the wide receivers in Dallas and Chicago while climbing the coaching ladder, and the Arizona Cardinals had arguably the best wide receiver tandem in the NFL in 2008 when Haley was their offensive coordinator. Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin helped the Cardinals to their first Super Bowl appearance and nearly led them to an upset of the Steelers in Tampa.

Whether the potential Haley sees in the Steelers' wideouts translates into production, one season after the loss of Jerricho Cotchery and Emmanuel Sanders, who combined for 1,342 receiving yards and 16 touchdowns in 2013, remains to be seen.

Here are a few things to like about the Steelers’ wide receivers following organized team activities and minicamp:

Lance Moore, who signed a two-year, $3 million contract in March, stood out as much as any player during offseason practices. The former Saints wide receiver proved to be a quick study while learning a new offense, and he could put up big numbers if opposing teams pay too much attention to Pro Bowler Antonio Brown. Moore reminds me of Cotchery in the sense that he is a pro’s pro.

Markus Wheaton still has a ways to go to win the starting job held down by Sanders last season, and that is a good thing. Wheaton had a solid offseason, but he will have a lot of competition during training camp. Justin Brown, who stood out during offseason practices, will be among those who push Wheaton. The 6-3, 209-pound Brown spent all of last season on the practice squad, but wide receivers coach Richard Mann said, "He’s just a different guy. He understands the concepts. He’s smoother. His body language is different.”

The Steelers have so much depth at wide receiver that Darrius Heyward-Bey, the seventh overall pick of the 2009 NFL draft, will have trouble making the team. Heyward-Bey has to be consistent catching the call during training camp. But if he does that and makes the team, he would become a nice player to have as a No. 4 or No. 5 wide receiver. "He has the speed. He has the talent,” Mann said. Hopefully we will put him in a position to succeed with his speed and smartness, and we will take advantage of what he does best.”

Plenty is still unknown about the wide receiving corps. What exactly will the Steelers get out of Martavis Bryant this season? Is Wheaton ready to emerge as a significant contributor after catching six passes for 64 yards as a rookie? Will Brown build on his strong offseason and make a serious push for a roster spot?

These are among the questions that won’t be answered until after the Steelers report to training camp on July 25.

As Mann said, “When we start playing tackle, we will figure out what we have.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-s...burgh-steelers

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vis For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (06-24-2014)
Old 06-24-2014, 03:31 PM   #2
vrabinec
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 8821
Thanked 1,177 Times in 615 Posts
My Mood: Buzzed
Default Re: WRs could be a strength for Steelers

Yeah, they COULD. Of course, cornerback could be a position of strength for us too...At this point, COULD is pretty open-ended.

That said, I wonder how serious a threat Brown really is to Wheaton. Haley loves that kind of receiver. He had Bowe in KC and Boldin in Arizona. If I was Wheaton, I wouldn't be taking anything for granted.
vrabinec is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vrabinec For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2014, 03:36 PM   #3
wakefield724
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 25970

What world are you living in????? Brown/ Wheaton. That doesn't really compare to jones/white, Marshall/Jeffery, Johnson/Tate, Nelson/Cobb, garçon/Jackson, Johnson/Hopkins, Fitzgerald/Floyd, green/jones....... We don't even have a for sure 2nd starter yet buy our WR can be a strength???? We have 1 proven WR right now and he isn't even a top 5 WR.
WR's could be a strength??? Really???? It was one of our biggest needs in the draft next to CB
wakefield724 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wakefield724 For This Useful Post:
steeltheone (06-24-2014)
Old 06-24-2014, 04:04 PM   #4
JewniorGong
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17286

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefield724 View Post
What world are you living in????? Brown/ Wheaton. That doesn't really compare to jones/white, Marshall/Jeffery, Johnson/Tate, Nelson/Cobb, garçon/Jackson, Johnson/Hopkins, Fitzgerald/Floyd, green/jones....... We don't even have a for sure 2nd starter yet buy our WR can be a strength???? We have 1 proven WR right now and he isn't even a top 5 WR.
WR's could be a strength??? Really???? It was one of our biggest needs in the draft next to CB
Why did you compare the best WR1/WR2 tandems in the league to our 2 guys whose positions on the depth chart are not even known at this point?
JewniorGong is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JewniorGong For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2014, 04:25 PM   #5
Goldsteel86
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 16432
Thanked 1,188 Times in 637 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefield724 View Post
I would say Brown is a top five WR, only thing that doesn't put him on front pages is the fact that he isn't 6'5 and weigh 240 lbs. Quite frankly speed kills and as far as I am concerned Brown will hit the media radar this year!
Goldsteel86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Goldsteel86 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2014, 05:53 PM   #6
wakefield724
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 25970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldsteel86 View Post
I would say Brown is a top five WR, only thing that doesn't put him on front pages is the fact that he isn't 6'5 and weigh 240 lbs. Quite frankly speed kills and as far as I am concerned Brown will hit the media radar this year!
I do think he can be argued into the top 5 but it's close.
wakefield724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:02 PM   #7
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 9,113 Times in 3,751 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

with a good offensive line, ben roethlisberger and a running game that can take over, you're damn right our WR's can become a strength.
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to harrison'samonster For This Useful Post:
Born2Steel (06-24-2014), Lady Steel (06-24-2014)
Old 06-24-2014, 07:14 PM   #8
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldsteel86 View Post
Brown is good and super valuable to the Steelers, but he is not even the best in the division so top 5 is pushing the limits.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:22 PM   #9
Goldsteel86
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 16432
Thanked 1,188 Times in 637 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
Brown is good and super valuable to the Steelers, but he is not even the best in the division so top 5 is pushing the limits.
Well I guess what you consider best in the division, one who is facing a year long suspension with the best numbers (Gordon) and has been proven to do it wrong or one who's numbers have only increased since his rookie year and does it right (Brown)! I'll take Brown all week long and twice on Sundays (if we could clone him ).
Goldsteel86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goldsteel86 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (06-24-2014), teegre (06-24-2014)
Old 06-24-2014, 07:43 PM   #10
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 20,969 Times in 8,708 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
Top five in several statistical categories. In fact, the most "top fives" of any WR in the NFL.

Only WR to have 5 receptions & 50 yards in every single game in a season.

teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
Born2Steel (06-24-2014), Goldsteel86 (06-24-2014), harrison'samonster (06-24-2014), polamalubeast (06-24-2014), SteelerJT (06-24-2014)